Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2010, 06:15 PM   #61
hateithere
anytime now

Oddometer: 2,481
It's America, Enterprise rents vans about $80 a day.
hateithere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:39 AM   #62
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,132
You can install an Omega in no time at all or an Enduralast in half a day tops. I would absolutely have more wattage on hand for this trip. I mean, 'adventure' is great and all, but it's a lot less fun when you're struggling to stay warm. If you're going to add an upgraded system anyway, do it now and reap the benefit on this trip.

I also would stay farther south. Why cross IL and IN at this time of year? Think Texas, Louisiana, Georgia. If you want to hole up for a few days in the middle, do it in Birmingham and visit the Barber museum. You said you're not in a hurry.

Then work your way north on secondary roads.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:04 AM   #63
The Raven OP
Banned

Oddometer: 4,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonLargiader
You can install an Omega in no time at all or an Enduralast in half a day tops. I would absolutely have more wattage on hand for this trip. I mean, 'adventure' is great and all, but it's a lot less fun when you're struggling to stay warm. If you're going to add an upgraded system anyway, do it now and reap the benefit on this trip.

I also would stay farther south. Why cross IL and IN at this time of year? Think Texas, Louisiana, Georgia. If you want to hole up for a few days in the middle, do it in Birmingham and visit the Barber museum. You said you're not in a hurry.

Then work your way north on secondary roads.
Wife is in Kansas City for a week, so that kind of puts me right in the middle. By that time it'll be late march so a bit warmer

I'm trying to keep costs low, that means no big lunches/dinners and staying at cheap places with continental breakfasts so, the functional upgrades will have to wait for A.an emergency, or B.When I save up the money. Because the bike is so original, it is the only upgrade I will be doing.
as it does not detract from how wonderful it is.
The Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:57 AM   #64
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,677
Late March in KC can be "acceptable", or friggin' miserable... just sayin...
Old 02-01-2010, 10:06 AM   #65
red bud
alky w/motorcycle problem

Oddometer: 5,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven
I also have unlimited time and will only be doing 300-400mi per day. Not pushing the bike at all

all fluids will be done, just emailed a dealer for service pricing, and the tires are new. The po took good care of this bike and it had fresh fluids prior to storage

"red bud has anyone ever told u you're bit of an ass" bmwblake

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706516
red bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:10 AM   #66
red bud
alky w/motorcycle problem

Oddometer: 5,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLO LOBO
Don't go to the local deal... contact Omar at Motoghost he's THE airhead guy in AZ...

Some other member bought an R100GSPD via fly-n-ride and stopped at Omar's place for a bunch of unexpected repairs, can't rember who but their ride report was great!
started reading rr and had to go something else and can't find report again, any help????

"red bud has anyone ever told u you're bit of an ass" bmwblake

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706516
red bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:57 PM   #67
Cordless
Two Wheel Addict

Oddometer: 2,013
I had a chance to snap a few pics in the POs shop of the g/s. Looks like some minor work might be underway:

He's helping me with some work on my XL600

Cordless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:16 PM   #68
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,880
Anton's advice is good - what's the Omega charging system cost? $400?

Another thing to get for this trip would be Hippo Hands, or whatever they're called these days. There's some made to fit over the G/S GS hand guards. A riding buddy got some for his GS Adventure and loves them. For a trip like yours, even with heated grips I wouldn't be without them.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:13 AM   #69
The Raven OP
Banned

She looks like a good bike!!!! On the hippo hands; I was thinking about getting a set, but at $80 they are steep right now, anyone use those MSR D-flectors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirespokes

Another thing to get for this trip would be Hippo Hands, or whatever they're called these days. There's some made to fit over the G/S GS hand guards. A riding buddy got some for his GS Adventure and loves them. For a trip like yours, even with heated grips I wouldn't be without them.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:27 PM   #70
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,231
if you're looking for cheap accommodations then sleep in the woods. People always look at me like I'm crazy when I say that but I'm serious. This country is covered with power lines. Find a set, ride 100 yards down 'em and pitch a tent. I've crossed the US several times doing that.

It's THE reason why I bought a dual sport bike. I couldn't afford road trips if I had to pay $40 a night for a room. So I got a G/S and made it as comfy as possible for the highway. Heck, I slept in the woods for 2 months once when I had my KLR. I put 23,000 miles on my KLR in 13 months because I suddenly realized I could go wherever I wanted for next to nothing.

this is across the street from a McDonalds about 20 miles south of Washington DC on a road trip I took to the Smithsonian.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:55 PM   #71
The Raven OP
Banned

hmmmmm might be an option

You know though, if we KLR riders keep buying these G/Ses, they too will be synonymous with penny tech cheap riders....Or as I like to put it, budget aware salt of the earth motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil
if you're looking for cheap accommodations then sleep in the woods. People always look at me like I'm crazy when I say that but I'm serious. This country is covered with power lines. Find a set, ride 100 yards down 'em and pitch a tent. I've crossed the US several times doing that.

It's THE reason why I bought a dual sport bike. I couldn't afford road trips if I had to pay $40 a night for a room. So I got a G/S and made it as comfy as possible for the highway. Heck, I slept in the woods for 2 months once when I had my KLR. I put 23,000 miles on my KLR in 13 months because I suddenly realized I could go wherever I wanted for next to nothing.

this is across the street from a McDonalds about 20 miles south of Washington DC on a road trip I took to the Smithsonian.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:58 PM   #72
opposedcyljunkie
Heavyweight Boxer

Oddometer: 4,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirespokes
Terry, much more than that. I got my Enduralast discounted at $450. And I know the Omega is about $100 more than what the list price is for an Enduralast.
05 Yamaha Fazer FZS-1000
07 R1200GS
opposedcyljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:59 PM   #73
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,880
I'll second Bgoodsoil's recommendations - I camp everywhere. I've even camped when it was in the 30s, or colder, in the morning when I got up. Buy a tent, pad, sleeping bag and that's it - from then on it it's free. Of course there were times I had to settle for a KOA or RV campground, but mostly not. I've even slept in rest stops when it's legal in some states. Or I've used club member's back yards or basements - they really enjoy talking to another motorcyclist on a trip from somewhere else, and after a long day in the saddle by myself, it's nice to have someone to talk to.

Since cash is so tight this year, I've even been toying with the idea of funding a trip by wrenching along the way; make some appointments and ride from one to the next. Sounds like fun to me.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:53 AM   #74
The Raven OP
Banned

I've done it before, but never just set up, sleep, pack up and leave. It usually involved food, relaxing, and reading bit. I tried roughing it once in Nova Scotia in October...Damn that sucked

On the bike front, my bank account is officially lighter today I paid for it. The PO is getting her all ready for me, he actually is going to go and make sure it's not leaking at all and him and I will put her back together when I get there so that I know how things work and I can get familiar with the bike.

In respect to the bike, and in regards to some nautical superstition as the bike is named Gretchen...that is how she will remain.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:05 PM   #75
Ivyleague
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
What a great trip and thread

can't wait for the details and am impressed with the many posts offering real help. Was browsing as I make the same decision about fly and ride to Dana Point to CO front range on Ebay "93 GS Paris-Dakar". Don't want to hijack this and will post my own.

What the heck?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...7#post12083277
Ivyleague is offline   Reply With Quote