ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-28-2010, 12:49 PM   #1
rdasilva OP
Adventurer
 
rdasilva's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: SF Bay Area
Oddometer: 28
Zumo 660, Scala Rider Q2 and MP3 music

I have a Zumo 660 and the Cardo SCALA RIDER® Q2™. MP3 music sounds fine from the Zumo using a hardwire, but when I play music wireless via bluetooth it sounds awful, with a lot of static. I understand that this may be due to the fact that the Scala Rider Q2 doesn't have A2DP so the music comes in as mono. But why the static?. Does no A2DP mean static music? I tried it at different volumes and I still get static. On top of that, in order to listen to music with the hardwire I need to turn off bluetooth. Without bluetooth I can't receive incoming phone calls or listen to GPS commands. Is this just the way it is with my current setup or am I doing something wrong? Do I have to go all wired or all wireless?

Wireless via bluetooth is obviously the way I'd like to go and everything works fine with that (phone, gps, intercom) except for music.
rdasilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 05:48 PM   #2
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion
 
BlueLghtning's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Newnan, GA
Oddometer: 4,948
I've pumped music from my 2820 over BT to the Scala. It sounds pretty bad because its trying to send the music over the BT headset profile. I don't remember hearing static, but more then a couple of minutes of it would drive me nuts.

Does the Zumo 660 support the BT A2DP profile? If so, you could get one of those BT receivers that basically receives the BT signal over A2DP and then sends that signal through a headphone plug. I think you might be able to accomplish that with this Sony DRCBT15 device. Its supposed to be where you plug in your favorite headphones and it turns them into a BT receiver, but there should be no reason why you couldn't use a standard male to male plug and use this receiver to get the music over BT and transfer it via a wire in the MP3 port on the Scala. Just keep this little Sony thing in a pocket on your or something and the wire running to the Scala. Even though you'd have that small wire, it would be on you and not hooked to a device on the bike which would be good.

Now, the only issue I see is if you can get the Zumo to connect to both the built in BT of the Scala to listen to directions & talk on the phone and simultaneously get the A2DP part to connect to this Sony device? That might not be possible, but I guess it depends on how the Zumo handles multiple BT devices?
__________________
BlueLghtning - Follow me on my SPOT Messenger
Mine: 09 DL650, 08 WR250R,
Hers: 07 Ninja 650R, 13 CRF250L,
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:25 PM   #3
rdasilva OP
Adventurer
 
rdasilva's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: SF Bay Area
Oddometer: 28
BlueLghtning: the Zumo 660 does support the BT A2DP profile. Using the Sony DRCBT15 Receiver/Transmitter you're suggesting to bypass the BT on the Scala altogether, is that right? That's an interesting idea. I could then potentially use any earphone/mic headset. I wonder if anybody else has tried the Sony DRCBT15 with a GPS, or specifically the Zumo 660?
rdasilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 05:09 PM   #4
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion
 
BlueLghtning's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Newnan, GA
Oddometer: 4,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdasilva
BlueLghtning: the Zumo 660 does support the BT A2DP profile. Using the Sony DRCBT15 Receiver/Transmitter you're suggesting to bypass the BT on the Scala altogether, is that right? That's an interesting idea. I could then potentially use any earphone/mic headset. I wonder if anybody else has tried the Sony DRCBT15 with a GPS, or specifically the Zumo 660?
Yes, I am and yes, you could use your own earphones vs the cord I was talking about. This will give you much butter music sound anyways which is what I plan to do myself. I haven't done this setup yet, but I'm really thinking about it. I actually like listening to my ER6i's for music and I tend to wear those and pump in the music from my GPS from those, but still talk to my wife over the Scala's using the speakers. I just really don't like music over the speakers as you have to raise the volume so loud to hear them, but even with the ER6i's in my ears, I can still talk okay to my wife over them which works great. I have great sounding music through my earphones and my wife doesn't interrupt my music when she talks to me! haha. I know some guys have modded their Scala's to allow you to hook up earphones, but I'm not brave enough yet to try that.

I would think if the Zumo supports the A2DP profile, then it shouldn't have any trouble transmitting music to that Sony DRCBT15 receiver?
__________________
BlueLghtning - Follow me on my SPOT Messenger
Mine: 09 DL650, 08 WR250R,
Hers: 07 Ninja 650R, 13 CRF250L,
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 05:13 PM   #5
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion
 
BlueLghtning's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Newnan, GA
Oddometer: 4,948
I know you already have the Scala, but I recently started taking a look at the BT Interehpone F4 which does receive BT A2DP plus it can pair with 3 simultaneous connections and it remembers up to 8 BT devices in its memory! They also give it very high rankings and say the sound quality over the Scala's is awesome which is pretty amazing as I think the Scala's sound pretty good for talking and stuff.

When our Scala's die, I think the Interphone F4 will be one of the top contenders on our list for a replacement and get that A2DP BT that we are looking for.
__________________
BlueLghtning - Follow me on my SPOT Messenger
Mine: 09 DL650, 08 WR250R,
Hers: 07 Ninja 650R, 13 CRF250L,
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:00 PM   #6
rdasilva OP
Adventurer
 
rdasilva's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: SF Bay Area
Oddometer: 28
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning
I know you already have the Scala, but I recently started taking a look at the BT Interehpone F4 which does receive BT A2DP plus it can pair with 3 simultaneous connections and it remembers up to 8 BT devices in its memory! They also give it very high rankings and say the sound quality over the Scala's is awesome which is pretty amazing as I think the Scala's sound pretty good for talking and stuff.

When our Scala's die, I think the Interphone F4 will be one of the top contenders on our list for a replacement and get that A2DP BT that we are looking for.
The Interphone F4 sounds exactly like what we need. The reviewers really seem to love it. I have also heard that Cardo Systems is coming out with the Scala Rider G4, which also has BT A2DP. I think the G4 would probably be a closer contender to the F4. A comparative review is surely in the near future.

I'm thinking about getting another helmet. If I do I may just get the Interphone F4, if I can swing it. Right now that sounds like the best way to go. Are there others that you would consider?
rdasilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:53 PM   #7
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion
 
BlueLghtning's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Newnan, GA
Oddometer: 4,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdasilva
The Interphone F4 sounds exactly like what we need. The reviewers really seem to love it. I have also heard that Cardo Systems is coming out with the Scala Rider G4, which also has BT A2DP. I think the G4 would probably be a closer contender to the F4. A comparative review is surely in the near future.

I'm thinking about getting another helmet. If I do I may just get the Interphone F4, if I can swing it. Right now that sounds like the best way to go. Are there others that you would consider?
Yeah, I've been watching things about the G4, but they aren't out yet and my biggest complaint about the G4 is they took the "weather proof" Q2 and turned the G4 into "Water Resistant". What a crock. Who wants to worry about their $250 headset dying in a rain storm. Our Q2's have been through some serious rain and have never missed a beat. The F4 says its waterproof or weather proof or something, but looks much better built then the G4's.

I really like our Q2's, but I think the Interphone F4's have the Cardo Scala G4's beat by a long shot. .
__________________
BlueLghtning - Follow me on my SPOT Messenger
Mine: 09 DL650, 08 WR250R,
Hers: 07 Ninja 650R, 13 CRF250L,
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:10 PM   #8
AndrewSil
n00b
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Oddometer: 3
Well, scratch one for Cardo. (Or Garmin.) I got the new Scala G4 yesterday, and went to pair it to my Zumo 660 (latest 3.5 software), eagerly awaiting all the A2DP stereoy goodness to come.

Short version: No dice. Doesn't matter whether I try to pair the 660 to the G4 as a "GPS" or as an "MP3 player", at the end of the day it's still connecting to the headset with only the craptastic mono audio profile.

I did try pairing it with my Windows Mobile 6.1 phone, and with that I was able to successfully get much higher quality A2DP audio, but of course that's not my media player, it's my phone!

I also went to see if any of their new vaunted firmware upgrades were available on the Scala site that perhaps might deal with this, but there's nothing there yet.

I left messages for both Cardo and Garmin tech support, but have had no response thus far. Needless to say, I'm pretty disappointed with the lack of A2DP connection.

So far as weatherproofing goes, the G4 looks pretty good, maybe not quite as good as the Q2 I'm replacing/supplementing, but I'm not worried about it having serious moisture issues at this point. I just want my stereo audio!
AndrewSil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:40 PM   #9
rdasilva OP
Adventurer
 
rdasilva's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: SF Bay Area
Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewSil
Well, scratch one for Cardo. (Or Garmin.) I got the new Scala G4 yesterday, and went to pair it to my Zumo 660 (latest 3.5 software), eagerly awaiting all the A2DP stereoy goodness to come.

Short version: No dice. Doesn't matter whether I try to pair the 660 to the G4 as a "GPS" or as an "MP3 player", at the end of the day it's still connecting to the headset with only the craptastic mono audio profile.

I did try pairing it with my Windows Mobile 6.1 phone, and with that I was able to successfully get much higher quality A2DP audio, but of course that's not my media player, it's my phone!

I also went to see if any of their new vaunted firmware upgrades were available on the Scala site that perhaps might deal with this, but there's nothing there yet. Please post what you hear back.

I left messages for both Cardo and Garmin tech support, but have had no response thus far. Needless to say, I'm pretty disappointed with the lack of A2DP connection.

So far as weatherproofing goes, the G4 looks pretty good, maybe not quite as good as the Q2 I'm replacing/supplementing, but I'm not worried about it having serious moisture issues at this point. I just want my stereo audio!
So the Cardo Scala G4 plays in stereo from your phone but not from the Garmin Zumo 660. That would seem to rule out the G4's ability to receive A2DP, but not the Zumo's ability to send out A2DP. I wonder if others with other headsets have been able to get good quality music from their Zumos? I'm eager to hear what tech support from either company have to say. Let us know what you hear back.
rdasilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:08 AM   #10
AndrewSil
n00b
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Oddometer: 3
Anytime you talk about bidirectional communications like Bluetooth, I don't think you can really rule out either side. It could be the Garmin failing to determine that the recipient supports A2DP correctly, or it could be some oddity about the headset that causes it to reject an A2DP connection from the Garmin (but not from the phone), or who knows. It's not just a simple one-way transmission from the GPS.

So far I haven't heard back from Cardo, but Garmin's help so far has only been the expected "make sure you have the latest firmware on the GPS" which I just verified back to them that I do, performed a hard reset, cleared all user data, repaired, etc., and still have the problem.

More updates as they come in. :-)
AndrewSil is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014