Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 05:58 PM   #1216
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by W8EJO View Post
The oil tank on the right side was longer and much bigger. The gas tank I think thinner. Oh yes, it had one of those Lucas Amp gauges in the headlight bucket. Those look like the front forks I saw.

The seat was recovered home style.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:21 PM   #1217
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1305 View Post
I'm glad I'm not closer to MD, else I'd be checking it out. My first bike might have been a Honda, but my first bike t-shirt was the classic white shirt with the simple red Norton logo. Always loved them.
Yeah, I used to have a poster of Farrah Fawcett on my wall. Lot a good it did me! Not only don't I have a at ugly woman, I got no woman. UggggH

Wait a minuet, maybe I'm lucky.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:26 PM   #1218
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
Yeah, I used to have a poster of Farrah Fawcett on my wall. Lot a good it did me! Not only don't I have a at ugly woman, I got no woman. UggggH

Wait a minuet, maybe I'm lucky.
You may be right. DAMHIK

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:33 PM   #1219
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

BTW, since I'm learning about Nortons, I should say I'm also one that has always liked the idea of Norton, and I don't really know that much about them.

So maybe you can tell me, what is a Featherbed Frame. the one part about a Norton that everybody raves about. But not all Nortons are Featherbeds. So when looking at a Norton, what is it that you see that says "Featherbed"? IOW, how do you recognize the Featherbed Frame?
Old 09-27-2011, 07:03 PM   #1220
JohnLocke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
BTW, since I'm learning about Nortons, I should say I'm also one that has always liked the idea of Norton, and I don't really know that much about them.

So maybe you can tell me, what is a Featherbed Frame. the one part about a Norton that everybody raves about. But not all Nortons are Featherbeds. So when looking at a Norton, what is it that you see that says "Featherbed"? IOW, how do you recognize the Featherbed Frame?

FEATHERBED FRAME
The Featherbed frame was designed by Rex & McCandless for the 500cc SOHC single in 1950, creating the Norton Manx. When Norton Motorcycles racing team leader, Harold Daniels rode it for the first time, he described it as having a “featherbed ride”, and the name stuck. The Featherbed was state-of-the-art in its day & helped Norton establish itself as one of the best handling motorcycles in the world. This versatile frame served Norton until it was replaced on the Norton Commando with the new Isolastic frame in 1969. A further improvement to Norton’s already legendary handling brought with it yet another name, the “Roadholder” telescopic front forks, introduced in 1947.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:19 PM   #1221
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,655
Fuel Tank fromR65 will fit others

Gas tank from a R65, but will fit others. I bought to use on my G/S but hated the thought of beating this tank up.Very nice and ready for paint, sealed tanks, no dents, includes gas cap no petcocks. This tank was taken down to bare metal before painting. No rear frame rubbers and I might not be able to locate the rear bail hook.

$250 OBO plus shipping, no insanely low offers please.

Mounts like this at the rear...

2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley screwed with this post 09-27-2011 at 09:20 PM
Old 09-27-2011, 08:26 PM   #1222
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
Gas tank from a R65, but will fit others. I bought to use on my G/S but hated the thought of beating this tank up.Very nice and ready for paint, sealed tanks, no dents, includes gas cap no petcocks. This tank was taken down to bare metal before painting.

$250 OBO plus shipping, no insanely low offers please.

G]
Do you have any pics of the mounting points? I wonder if that would fit an 88 monolever RS?

What yr was it off of?
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Old 09-27-2011, 08:40 PM   #1223
norton73
drinkin'

Oddometer: 8,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by W8EJO View Post
Atlas's are 750's.

If it's a 650, if it's got dual carbs it's 650SS, if it's got a single carb it's a Mercury.
It would have to be pretty pristine to bring $6K.

Good thing I'm not still up in Fredneck
Old 09-27-2011, 08:41 PM   #1224
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,411
The R65 tank will fit with your electrics and your seat. The front mount is the same as your bike and the rear uses a bail like the R100GS. The only clearance issues might be the mono leaver rear tank mount that also holds the side covers on might get in the way of the bail.
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
Old 09-27-2011, 08:41 PM   #1225
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

It fits my 1984 G/S, connects just like an R80 G/S and R100GS if you still need pictures I can get some. It had a u shaped pivoting clip (bail) at the rear. and slides in at a rubber cylinder like thing at the front (not a good description). I don't know the year.

Thanks euro!!

One Less Harley screwed with this post 09-27-2011 at 08:50 PM
Old 09-27-2011, 09:04 PM   #1226
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmweuro View Post
The R65 tank will fit with your electrics and your seat. The front mount is the same as your bike and the rear uses a bail like the R100GS. The only clearance issues might be the mono leaver rear tank mount that also holds the side covers on might get in the way of the bail.
This is my rear mount -

My tank has 2 grommets that drop onto those 2 posts.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:10 PM   #1227
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

You would have to remove those two post in order for it to possibly fit. It has a loop that catches on the exposed back bone of the frame, just behind the rubber grommet tab.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:15 PM   #1228
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
You would have to remove those two post in order for it to possibly fit. It has a loop that catches on the exposed back bone of the frame, just behind the rubber grommet tab.
Don't think it would work, unless I really wanted to use your tank permanently. That bar that holds those 2 posts also holds the fuse box below, 2 electrical harnesses, and the posts for the battery covers. I was thinking your tank would make a great 2nd tank to use while I work on the stocker.

thanks, good luck it'll sell quick for that price.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:16 PM   #1229
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton73 View Post
Atlas's are 750's.

If it's a 650, if it's got dual carbs it's 650SS, if it's got a single carb it's a Mercury.
It would have to be pretty pristine to bring $6K.

Good thing I'm not still up in Fredneck
I saw the reference to twin carbs when reading about the Atlas. I didn't look at the carbs, what can I say. The saddle tank on the right side was larger and longer than the ones in the article about Atlases. I talked to a guy in the store. My impression is that he is the owner. He's got a bunch of younger guys work there. This Pawn Shop has more emplyees than any other Pawn Shop I've ever seen. He had sevral motorcycles parked out front. He had several bike parts in the store, like front forks for Jap bikes. He pawned motorcycle helmets. So he's a Pawn Shop that does a bit of business with motorcycles.

Mileage may be low on this bike. I don't really believe 28 hundred though. It was original condition but not super clean. Just had the look of an old bike to it. I'm not always the best person to judge car and/or bike shows though. Since I don't know Nortons very well I don't know what to look for.

I've tried Google to find a picture of this bike with no luck so far. I may go back there. Where can I find the VIN #? Would that identify it? I'll look for number of carbs. What should I look for?

disston screwed with this post 09-27-2011 at 09:23 PM
Old 09-28-2011, 12:54 PM   #1230
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,986
OLH, How does the seat on your G/S match up to the rear of the tank? The R65 tank looks to be taller and pitched more vertically at the rear. I know some of that type tank fit the other bikes perfectly except for issues at the seat front.

Just casual interest on my part. I still have Jenna's old ST tank with the side pods added on.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
Closed Thread