Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012, 05:27 AM   #15046
Tim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,357
Just fitted a set of Tobinators to my screen.

I have fitted them to the higher of the two sets of holes on both the screen bracket and the screen itself.

Lowest setting

and highest setting

and from the side, lowest and fully forward

lowest and tilted as far back as it will go

highest and fully forward

highest and fully back

My initial impression is that on full height fully forward they have made a difference to the amount of wind that is hitting my helmet but not as much of a difference that fitting the Yamaha winglets made. I'm 6'4" and have the seat on the high setting, plus an extra 1/4 inch lift on the front of the seat. I think that with the OE screen and the Tobinators on full height I now have too much air coming under the screen. I will be doing some experiments with tape and card to try to block off the air flow under the screen but I think that the ideal for me may well be the Yamaha Touring screen plus the Tobinators.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:03 AM   #15047
true grip
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Should have done that, too. Instead I decided to do something more exciting and hit a deer, wrecked my Tiger, broke my wrist. Awesome. Second ride after having had surgery 11 weeks ago.
Ah man THAT SUCKS

We should kill all deer and keep the species alive in zoos but then we'd have to take care of the turkeys too and
then there are those pesky squirrels that can't make up their mind which way to go. I guess it would never end.

Hope its not your dominate hand and you can get back to riding soon.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:55 AM   #15048
TH
There and Here

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by true grip View Post
Ah man THAT SUCKS

We should kill all deer and keep the species alive in zoos but then we'd have to take care of the turkeys too and
then there are those pesky squirrels that can't make up their mind which way to go. I guess it would never end.

Hope its not your dominate hand and you can get back to riding soon.
I sometimes think my S10 is attracting animals. I've had it just over 4 months, and I've hit a dog, raccoon (it was hard not too, I think I had about 6 run right at me on a narrow dirt road) and a squirrel. Everytime I see a deer I pucker up and look for an exit path.
NOVA Tag-o-Rama Map
TH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:12 AM   #15049
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,790
Eek Damn! That Sucks!

Quote:
Should have done that, too. Instead I decided to do something more exciting and hit a deer, wrecked my Tiger, broke my wrist. Awesome. Second ride after having had surgery 11 weeks ago.

I am well and truly sorry to hear that! Arguably the biggest hazard anybody who rides backroads faces on a motorcycle - critters!

My sincerest condolences for your crash, and here's hoping your bike is far less damaged than you thought, and that you heal faster than Valentino Rossi!

Get well soon, and I hope one day I can buy you a beer... or nine!

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists office. - Unknown

'Cos it's easier to try than to prove it can't be done, and it's easier to stay than to turn around and run. - Justin Hayward
Dallara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:22 AM   #15050
RoyQ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post

I guess I'll just have to forget all about my old AMA Pro MX licenses and my WERA Expert road race licenses... And titles.

Dallara

~

WERA Expert #826
RoyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:50 AM   #15051
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Just fitted a set of Tobinators to my screen. I'm 6'4" and have the seat on the high setting, plus an extra 1/4 inch lift on the front of the seat. I think that with the OE screen and the Tobinators on full height I now have too much air coming under the screen. I will be doing some experiments with tape and card to try to block off the air flow under the screen but I think that the ideal for me may well be the Yamaha Touring screen plus the Tobinators.
Fwiw, at 5'7" the Tobinators work perfect. They make it one of the best stock screens I've had the pleasure to ride behind.
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:38 AM   #15052
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 951
I'm about 6'1" and keep my seat on high.

The very FIRST complaint I had with the S10 was the horrible wind management. It was so bad that it detracted from everything that was good about my brand new ride.

Wasp had just completed his shield management masterpiece and I immediately had one shipped to Texas from Perth. (?)

I must have moved that OEM screen into every imaginable location. And it DID get much better.

But then the Cal-Scientific Large (might be X-large. I rounded "up" on the recommended size for 6'1" with 34" inseam) Mounted it. Put it as close to OEM location as I could with the Wasp mount.

Heaven.

So much so that I removed the Wasp mount and sold it to a fellow S10er in Texas.

That OEM S10 screen just can't be held in any position that competes with a bigger screen. Not for me anyways.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:10 PM   #15053
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Thanks all for the kind wishes. I'll have to wait for the full assessment to know about the extend of the damage on the bike. If there is nothing bent that I didn't see when checking it on the scene before the paramedics took over it should be okay to repair. But you never know, there was quite some damage on the left side. Barkbuster Storm, engine guards, gas tank, and left foot peg took most of damage, though.

Regarding myself: bruised ribs, broken right wrist (of course I'm right handed), bruises on the left hip and shoulders, lots of pain in all fingers on the right hand, thumb on left hand, right shin and left ankle. All manageable, except the damn broken wrist. Luckily no damage to the surgery area. So it could have easily been much worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
Get well soon, and I hope one day I can buy you a beer... or nine!
Be careful what you wish for - over the next 4 to 6 weeks I'll likely get even more cranky because of not being able to ride ...

Other than that I'm all for it!
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:00 PM   #15054
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,713
Question ECU question...

Mechanical aptitude has never been one of my blessings. I do the basic "meat & potatoes" stuff (oil changes, air filter, wheel removal, etc.), but try not to stray too far.

Anyhoo, my Brother bought me the genuine, Yamaha OEM service manual for Christmas (I may have dropped a hint or two.) And, rather than leaving my bike down at AF1, for a week or two, I would like to remove the ECU myself, and transport just that down there.

Despite the fact that I can't find specific instructions for the ECU removal, the process appears pretty straight-forward.

Are there any gremlins that I'm not seeing?...or any warning(s) that someone would like to share?

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:13 PM   #15055
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,187
Quote:

Be careful what you wish for - over the next 4 to 6 weeks I'll likely get even more cranky because of not being able to ride ...

If it helps, just be cranky.

look after that wrist though. Don't punch too many screens. OK

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:15 PM   #15056
japako
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
There is a post on the Tenere forum with pics. If you do a search I'm sure you will find it. I wish I knew the address off hand..

This may help.
http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/ind...47382#msg47382
japako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:19 PM   #15057
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post
Despite the fact that I can't find specific instructions for the ECU removal, the process appears pretty straight-forward.
Try here.

It is as easy as it looks.
Anticyclone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:25 PM   #15058
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by japako View Post
There is a post on the Tenere forum with pics. If you do a search I'm sure you will find it. I wish I knew the address off hand..

This may help.
http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/ind...47382#msg47382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticyclone View Post
Try here.

It is as easy as it looks.

I owe y'all a round of drinks.

Thank you...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:12 PM   #15059
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
look after that wrist though. Don't punch too many screens. OK
Will do. Trying to not find reasons.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:49 PM   #15060
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post
I owe y'all a round of drinks.

Thank you...

I can only remember the bolt that is in deep in the fairing. PITA gettting out,
PITA getting back in. The rest was easy.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote