Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012, 05:17 PM   #15061
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post

Regarding myself: bruised ribs, broken right wrist (of course I'm right handed), bruises on the left hip and shoulders, lots of pain in all fingers on the right hand, thumb on left hand, right shin and left ankle. All manageable, except the damn broken wrist.
Best wishes for a fast recovery. I broke a finger in September, made my daily bike commute interesting but the hardest part was learning to shake it with my left hand after peeing.
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:57 PM   #15062
twinrider
pass the catnip

Best ECU reflash?

Being in Japan, I will have to send my ECU overseas to get it reflashed. Italy is out as I don't want to deal with customs delays. That leaves ECU Unleashed and Off The Road. Has anyone determined if there is any performance difference between the two reflashes?

Been reading up on it but haven't found a clear conclusion other than some of the European S10 owners raved about the performance after the OTR reflash, and some of the ECU Unleashed reflash reviews seemed a bit tepid, saying there wasn't a whole lot of difference other than the 1-3 restrictions being removed.

Any enlightenment is appreciated.
2006 Djebel 250XC
Old 12-28-2012, 07:38 PM   #15063
fredz43
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
I can only remember the bolt that is in deep in the fairing. PITA gettting out,
PITA getting back in. The rest was easy.
Yeah, if I recall it is a 5mm allen. Once I figured that out, it wasn't too bad.
fredz43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:44 PM   #15064
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,760
Laugh Amen...

~

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
I can only remember the bolt that is in deep in the fairing. PITA gettting out,
PITA getting back in. The rest was easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredz43 View Post
Yeah, if I recall it is a 5mm allen. Once I figured that out, it wasn't too bad.

My recollections exactly. Of course, the good news is that you don't have to do it but once!

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:50 PM   #15065
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Cool2 Scientific testing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Being in Japan, I will have to send my ECU overseas to get it reflashed. Italy is out as I don't want to deal with customs delays. That leaves ECU Unleashed and Off The Road. Has anyone determined if there is any performance difference between the two reflashes?

Been reading up on it but haven't found a clear conclusion other than some of the European S10 owners raved about the performance after the OTR reflash, and some of the ECU Unleashed reflash reviews seemed a bit tepid, saying there wasn't a whole lot of difference other than the 1-3 restrictions being removed.

Any enlightenment is appreciated.

Now here ya' go!

You've got a great opportunity to make great scientific strides - right here! You can get two completely new ECU's, keeping your original one stock, and then take those two new ECU's and send one to an ECUunleashed re-flash shop and the other to a German shop that does the OTR re-flash...

Then when you get 'em back you can do a dyno comparison between each of them against the stocker, and then report back the results to the forums!!!

It'd be great!

Just out of curiosity, why would there be more in "custom delays" to deal with to and from Italy than there would be to Germany for the Off The Road DE re-flash?

Dallara

~

~
Old 12-28-2012, 08:18 PM   #15066
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
Now here ya' go!

You've got a great opportunity to make great scientific strides - right here! You can get two completely new ECU's, keeping your original one stock, and then take those two new ECU's and send one to an ECUunleashed re-flash shop and the other to a German shop that does the OTR re-flash...

Then when you get 'em back you can do a dyno comparison between each of them against the stocker, and then report back the results to the forums!!!

It'd be great!

Just out of curiosity, why would there be more in "custom delays" to deal with to and from Italy than there would be to Germany for the Off The Road DE re-flash?

Dallara

~
Thanks for the offer of the two ECUs, I will PM you my address.

It took about a month for Tremor 38 (also in Japan) to get his ECU back from Diapason, mainly due to Italian customs.
2006 Djebel 250XC
Old 12-28-2012, 09:16 PM   #15067
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Question Italy vs Germany

Quote:
Thanks for the offer of the two ECUs, I will PM you my address.

It took about a month for Tremor 38 (also in Japan) to get his ECU back from Diapason, mainly due to Italian customs.

I'm familiar with Tremor/Tenerator's trials and tribulations with Diapason and Italian customs. What I'm curious about is why you think dealing with customs between Germany and Japan would be any better?

And just for the record, you might check with Tremor/Tenerator... IIRC he recently stated that if he had it to do all over again he'd go with an ECUunleashed re-flash instead of the Diapason.

As for comparing the ECUunleashed and Off-The-Road DE re-flashes you might consider the following:

1.) Personally I can't even recall of one person that posts on these forums that has gone with the Off-The-Road re-flash. Maybe there has been, but I honestly can't remember seeing any posts from any here or on the Super Tenere board. You'd think that if it was clearly superior somebody, somewhere would have noted that, and the word would have spread...

2.) Lots of folks have had their ECU's re-flashed with the ECUunleashed mapping and yet I cannot recall one, single, solitary report of any problems or dissatisfaction.

3.) Remember that with the ECUunleashed re-flash you can easily, readily, and quickly have your ECU returned to stock mapping if you don't like the ECUunleashed re-flash, and most shops I know of that do the ECUunleashed re-flashes will gladly return your ECU to stock for no additional charge if you don't like it.

4.) Despite this option of easily going back to stock mapping, I cannot recall any instance of anyone, anywhere deciding to dump the ECUunleashed re-flash and return to stock mapping.

I'll leave it to you to follow those points to the logical conclusion...

And I can highly recommend the folks at AF-1 Racing in New Braunfels, TX - specifically Ed Cook there - as a reputable, reliable, and professional shop to do the ECUunleashed re-flash.

Dallara

~

~
Old 12-28-2012, 09:37 PM   #15068
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
I'm familiar with Tremor/Tenerator's trials and tribulations with Diapason and Italian customs. What I'm curious about is why you think dealing with customs between Germany and Japan would be any better?

And just for the record, you might check with Tremor/Tenerator... IIRC he recently stated that if he had it to do all over again he'd go with an ECUunleashed re-flash instead of the Diapason.

As for comparing the ECUunleashed and Off-The-Road DE re-flashes you might consider the following:

1.) Personally I can't even recall of one person that posts on these forums that has gone with the Off-The-Road re-flash. Maybe there has been, but I honestly can't remember seeing any posts from any here or on the Super Tenere board. You'd think that if it was clearly superior somebody, somewhere would have noted that, and the word would have spread...

2.) Lots of folks have had their ECU's re-flashed with the ECUunleashed mapping and yet I cannot recall one, single, solitary report of any problems or dissatisfaction.

3.) Remember that with the ECUunleashed re-flash you can easily, readily, and quickly have your ECU returned to stock mapping if you don't like the ECUunleashed re-flash, and most shops I know of that do the ECUunleashed re-flashes will gladly return your ECU to stock for no additional charge if you don't like it.

4.) Despite this option of easily going back to stock mapping, I cannot recall any instance of anyone, anywhere deciding to dump the ECUunleashed re-flash and return to stock mapping.

I'll leave it to you to follow those points to the logical conclusion...

And I can highly recommend the folks at AF-1 Racing in New Braunfels, TX - specifically Ed Cook there - as a reputable, reliable, and professional shop to do the ECUunleashed re-flash.

Dallara
~
Lots of imports from Germany, no issues yet. They do have a reputation for being efficient. I think someone else reported about a month to get their ECU back from Italy.

Been trawling through the S10 forum's ECU reflash results only thread. Some of the posts raised question marks, like Fredz's, S Palmer's, Z06's so I am looking for more info before sending off my ECU. I appreciate your recommendation.

I am still wondering, do all these vendors develop their own reflashes, or is it something they are getting from a common source, maybe Yamaha???
2006 Djebel 250XC
Old 12-28-2012, 09:51 PM   #15069
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Cool2 Here we go again...

Quote:
Lots of imports from Germany, no issues yet. They do have a reputation for being efficient. I think someone else reported about a month to get their ECU back from Italy.

Been trawling through the S10 forum's ECU reflash results only thread. Some of the posts raised question marks, like Fredz's, S Palmer's, Z06's so I am looking for more info before sending off my ECU. I appreciate your recommendation.

I am still wondering, do all these vendors develop their own reflashes, or is it something they are getting from a common source, maybe Yamaha???

I hope you won't take this the wrong way, Twinrider...

But this very subject has been hashed, rehashed, and rehashed again, over and over, here and on the Super Tenere forum. My honest, best recommendation from here on in on the re-flash is for you to spend some time with the "Search" functions on various forums. No sense in all the same folks having to type the same stuff again and again.

For instance, I promise that if you carefully search you will quickly find you answer to your "who develops the re-flashes" question. It's been answered... and answered... and answered...

In the end you're still going to have to decide on only one, that is unless you get more than one ECU, like I suggested.

Dallara

~

~
Old 12-28-2012, 09:55 PM   #15070
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
I hope you won't take this the wrong way, Twinrider...

But this very subject has been hashed, rehashed, and rehashed again, over and over, here and on the Super Tenere forum. My honest, best recommendation from here on in on the re-flash is for you to spend some time with the "Search" functions on various forums. No sense in all the same folks having to type the same stuff again and again.

For instance, I promise that if you carefully search you will quickly find you answer to your "who develops the re-flashes" question. It's been answered... and answered... and answered...

In the end you're still going to have to decide on only one, that is unless you get more than one ECU, like I suggested.

Dallara

~
I never take your posts the wrong way...

Been trawling through the reflash results thread and the original reflash thread, as well as threads on other forums. Since your Google Fu is unsurpassed, why not post up the result of the "who develops the reflashes" question, it would take you less time than typing about how much this subject has been rehashed.
2006 Djebel 250XC
Old 12-28-2012, 09:56 PM   #15071
fredz43
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

My recollections of my post flash reports on the YST forum reported my testing of my reflashed S10 versus a stock S10. After reading the reply above from ECU Unleashed, it sheds light on the results of the testing I did. They report only a slight (3-4) HP gain at top, but a significant gain in midrange. The biggest advantage that my bike showed in those tests was in 6th gear roll on from lower RPM, about 2500, if I recall correctly, in which I walked away from the stock unit. In the drag race where we were both Wide Open Throttle, there wasn't much difference at those higher revs. My 10,000+ miles riding it since then have reinforced to me that the midrange is much improved, with very satisfying roll on performance. I don't do any WFO drag races, but do a lot of mid range rollon, especially coming out of curves and it is great there.

Since then I have showed another S10 owner the clutch switch mod and we rode both bikes. He was amazed at how much it improved his bike, but we both felt the better overall powerband of my reflashed bike.

It makes no difference to me whether others choose to do a reflash, but I would do it again in a minute.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:01 PM   #15072
twinrider
pass the catnip

Thanks for the input, Fred. I've just been comparing the ECU Unleashed reflash reports by you and others who seem satisfied but not overwhelmed by the change, with those of the Europeans like Tobers, Blue Eyes, and Spasm, who practically creamed their jeans after testing their reflashed ECUs.
2006 Djebel 250XC

twinrider screwed with this post 12-28-2012 at 10:10 PM
Old 12-28-2012, 10:10 PM   #15073
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Wicked Then how are you...

Quote:
I never take your posts the wrong way...

Been trawling through the reflash results thread and the original reflash thread, as well as threads on other forums. Since your Google Fu is unsurpassed, why not post up the result of the "who develops the reflashes" question, it would take you less time than typing about how much this subject has been rehashed.

If I keep doing it for you then how are you ever gonna' learn to do it yourself?

I mean c'mon... To use your logic, why not spend as much time searching a bit and reading the results as it would take less time than typing the same questions on different forums! It's even easier than finding a turn-signal equipped taillight on e-Bay...

As for Fredz's posts having supposedly "raised question marks", just read his brief reply above...

We all bet on a re-flash, and so far no one I'm aware of has decided to go back to stock. So I'll ask again - What's that tell ya'?

And on another note... Euros always seem to be more effusive and emotional in their reports, good or bad, than those in the States in my experience.

Dallara

~

~
Old 12-28-2012, 10:13 PM   #15074
fredz43
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks for the input, Fred. I've just been comparing the ECU Unleashed reflash reports by you, Pluric and others who seem satisfied but not overwhelmed by the change, with those of the Europeans like Tobers, Blue Eyes, and Spasm, who seem to practically cream their jeans after testing their reflashed ECUs.
Yes, it was interesting after reading how their reflashes turned their bikes into screaming beasts. Not the case here in the USA. The bikes run better, but they are not screaming beasts. Makes me think that different countries just possibly may require different ECU tunes to meet different regulations and if that be the case, wouldn't the after flash impressions be different for those bikes with possible different ECU's? They do have different part numbers.

Some of our friends over there also had PCV's and other mods, I believe. All I have is an Akra can plus the ECU Unleashed ECU on mine and I am thrilled with how it runs.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:17 PM   #15075
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
If I keep doing it for you then how are you ever gonna' learn to do it yourself?

I mean c'mon... To use your logic, why not spend as much time searching a bit and reading the results as it would take less time than typing the same questions on different forums! It's even easier than finding a turn-signal equipped taillight on e-Bay...

As for Fredz's posts having supposedly "raised question marks", just read his brief reply above...

We all bet on a re-flash, and so far no one I'm aware of has decided to go back to stock. So I'll ask again - What's that tell ya'?

Dallara

~
Like I said, I've been trawling all day. Thanks again for the feedback.
2006 Djebel 250XC