Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 8,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
We still have our KLR's. :)

Guilty.
as.
Charged.

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:46 PM   #15092
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domromer View Post
Have any of you guys owned vstroms in the past? What made you change to the s10?

I'm looking at getting a new bike and I'm researching the s10 and 1100gs.
Quote:
I have one sitting on my porch. But it's my brothers.
However, almost everybody with an S10 came from a Vstrom, FJR, and/or GS
Quote:
We still have our KLR's. :)

Had a DL1000 and an FJR. You don't need to do a bunch of research.
Just buy the Tenere. No comparison to the Strom 1000. Strom owners will
throw dollar difference or if you just blah, blah. blah it will be as good as a Tenere.
They are in denial. I rode my old Strom after having the Tenere for a few months.
I couldn't believe I used to enjoy the Strom. The Tenere is a much better bike. Period.

Oh, and I kept the KLR.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:58 PM   #15093
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

They opened a new Sheel's sporting goods store and we went to go check it
out today. Massive is the best way to describe it. Anyway, I'm always on the hunt
for anything that looks like it can be used on a bike. In the boating department they
had these boat bags in several sizes. I already had a top bag set up to go on top
of the OEM bags. Their boat bags are rubberized and have ditty pockets. The other
difference was a hard bottom. I bought a couple small ones to check them out.

Fit the top lid great. The hard bottom hits the Givi trunk in the corner. They will
still work.

The bottom side.

They will strap on the same as the other top bag set I was using.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:28 PM   #15094
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,663
Good looking bags and nice fit on the panniers, are they waterproof?

Btw, thanks for the feedback on the ECU flash. Now trawling through the massive thread on the S10 forum, only 94 more pages to go.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:54 PM   #15095
ArmyMedic
Flyin' Elvis, UT Chapter

Oddometer: 482
I came from both a Vstrom and a Buell Uly to a Super Tenere. I'll take the Tenere over all of them. Best built, best riding, most comfortable of the three and least affected by crosswinds (Vstrom was down right scary in heavy wind), most capable off road, and I have to say, best looking. In addition, compared to a Vstrom, no chain and doesn't sound like a scooter from the Jetsons.

RecoveryThreads.com
ArmyMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:58 PM   #15096
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Good looking bags and nice fit on the panniers, are they waterproof?

Btw, thanks for the feedback on the ECU flash. Now trawling through the massive thread on the S10 forum, only 94 more pages to go.
I'd say they are water resistant. The zipper areas are not sealed. I usually put a garbage sack in
the bag first if I'm expecting weather anyway.

Just send the ECU in. You're over researching the whole thing.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:16 PM   #15097
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post

Just send the ECU in. You're over researching the whole thing.
Still mulling the the European vs US results since I have to send it overseas in either case. The Greek who got the Diapason flash beat his buddy's GSA by 8 bike lengths and can pull 2nd gear wheelies. Weighing that against your post-flash race against the '10 GS.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:22 PM   #15098
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,550
Laugh Ain't it the truth...

Quote:
...Just send the ECU in. You're over researching the whole thing.

Now he's got to start wonderin' whether the Jap market units have Euro-spec or USA-spec ECU's, or something completely different...

And since he doesn't have any other one to compare it to how's he gonna' know if he got the *best* one or not anyway?

Dallara

p.s. - and what "spec" ECU's are in the G/S's in Europe compared to those in the USA? And how much did the riders on each bike weigh? What about their relative skill levels? Did they both shift at redline, or short-shift? And how much fuel was in each one? What fuel grade? And which G/S's were stock, or were they modified? And what phase was the moon at the time? And what about sunspot activity? Helmet aerodynamics? Boot to shifter drag? Knibbler pin condition? The mind boggles...

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~

Dallara screwed with this post 12-29-2012 at 08:35 PM
Dallara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:46 PM   #15099
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post

Now he's got to start wonderin' whether the Jap market units have Euro-spec or USA-spec ECU's, or something completely different...

And since he doesn't have any other one to compare it to how's he gonna' know if he got the *best* one or not anyway?

Dallara

p.s. - and what "spec" ECU's are in the G/S's in Europe compared to those in the USA? And how much did the riders on each bike weigh? What about their relative skill levels? Did they both shift at redline, or short-shift? And how much fuel was in each one? What fuel grade? And which G/S's were stock, or were they modified? And what phase was the moon at the time? And what about sunspot activity? Helmet aerodynamics? Boot to shifter drag? Knibbler pin condition? The mind boggles...

~
I LOVE your responses! They're like a flashback to my childhood ... when mom was on the rag.

Fwiw my S10's SA-spec. Same ECU as the Europe bikes, which possibly is another plus for getting the flash done there.

twinrider screwed with this post 12-29-2012 at 09:06 PM
Old 12-29-2012, 08:56 PM   #15100
JadeRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
I have one sitting on my porch. But it's my brothers.
However, almost everybody with an S10 came from a Vstrom, FJR, and/or GS
Had a vstrom 1000 and sold it for 1150gs. Great bike and maintenance became $$$. Just got a super and have loved it. The dl1000 was too top heavy and I never quite like the engine. I think the st eats it for breakfast.

-- John 1:4-5 | Luke 17:24
Old 12-29-2012, 09:04 PM   #15101
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Laugh Simple as that taillight then...

Quote:
I LOVE your responses! They're like a flashback to my childhood ... when mom was on the rag.

Fwiw my S10's SA-spec. Same ECU as the Europe bikes, which possibly is another plus for getting the flash done there.

Then your decision should be easy... Get the flash *YOU* think is best for the Euro-spec bikes, and from all you've related here you feel that's the Diapason or the Off-The-Road DE... But you don't want to to risk any worries with Italian customs... So seems to me you've landed yourself on the Off-The-Road DE re-flash.

There now. Decision made. You can thank me later!

And I'm sorry to hear about your Mom... You know, *sharing* with you all those bloody little details like when she was on her period, etc. Tell me, did she fret this much over which tampons to buy when she'd send ya' to get 'em? Maybe you come by it honestly...

Dallara

~

~

Dallara screwed with this post 12-29-2012 at 09:19 PM
Old 12-29-2012, 09:19 PM   #15102
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Still mulling the the European vs US results since I have to send it overseas in either case. The Greek who got the Diapason flash beat his buddy's GSA by 8 bike lengths and can pull 2nd gear wheelies. Weighing that against your post-flash race against the '10 GS.
I have a hard time believing the Euro to US performance difference. As far as the GS run off I'd
be curious as to the year of the GS. All I know is I got spanked by a late model GS. As far
as second gear wheel lofts... maybe at sea level and a bump in the road. I run mine so much
at altitude that sea level makes it feel 20% stronger. It does lift the wheel much easier with
a little extra air.

Once we get Old Git Ray over here next summer we can run the Euro stuff against the US.

It's really such a moot argument anyway. These bikes are not 1/4 mile monsters to begin with.
If that was what it was all about the Multistrada would be the only game in town.

I just looked at the reflash was to solve some fueling issues, it does and dies give it some
additional zip. It does not turn it into a sport bike.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:22 PM   #15103
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Laugh Amen, Bruddah! Amen!

Quote:
I have a hard time believing the Euro to US performance difference. As far as the GS run off I'd
be curious as to the year of the GS. All I know is I got spanked by a late model GS. As far
as second gear wheel lofts... maybe at sea level and a bump in the road. I run mine so much
at altitude that sea level makes it feel 20% stronger. It does lift the wheel much easier with
a little extra air.

Once we get Old Git Ray over here next summer we can run the Euro stuff against the US.

It's really such a moot argument anyway. These bikes are not 1/4 mile monsters to begin with.
If that was what it was all about the Multistrada would be the only game in town.

I just looked at the reflash was to solve some fueling issues, it does and dies give it some
additional zip. It does not turn it into a sport bike.

~

~
Old 12-29-2012, 09:34 PM   #15104
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post

And I'm sorry to hear about your Mom... You know, telling you all those bloody little details like when she was on her period, etc. Hope she didn't fret so much over which tampons she'd send ya' to buy...

Dallara

~
Don't let your imagination run too wild, it was the PMS that gave it away. Still trying to figure out why you're showing the same symptoms. Maybe from fretting over other people's posts too much.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:48 PM   #15105
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Wicked You think I'm strange?

Quote:
Don't let your imagination run too wild, it was the PMS that gave it away. Still trying to figure out why you're showing the same symptoms. Maybe from fretting over other people's posts too much.

And I can't for the life of me figure why you are worrying, fretting, and anguishing so much over something so cheap and trivial as an ECU re-flash?

I guess I just get weary when someone asks the same questions that have been hashed and re-hashed so many times before.

It's not like there are suddenly a bunch of new re-flashes and providers out there today. It's all the same ones... And I can't recall anybody being so vexed over the decision.

Like Pluric said, you seem to be over-analyzing, and over-questioning, it.

Dallara

~

~