ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 01:48 PM   #15211
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 2,026
Laugh More tap dancing... With an insult added, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariusD View Post
Dallara: Your post was longwinded, with a lot of content but I have no idea where you're going with any of it. If you don't see the difference between low volume specialty products and commoditiezed large volume products, then this is a very difficult discussion to have with you. The next time you can pick up a Tenere next to the bubble gum at your local convenience store check out, you let me know. This isn't about dance moves, although I admit, mine are pretty good.

BMW's aren't sold in convenience stores, either... Nor are Gold Wing's, Ford trucks, or Toyota Camry's.

Your contention is that the Super Tenere has been "successful" despite not being advertised, but you are making a rather large assumption about it being "successful", at least in North America. We actually don't know that yet. 2013 will be the year where it will sell without the PDP program - i.e. where Yamaha will not have each one produced already paid for. This will be the year that tells the tale whether it will remain in Yamaha's line-up in North America.

A similar situation occurred with Harley-Davidson and the XR1200. They sold them in Europe in 2008, and magazines, etc. clamored to bring the model to the USA. Harley did, but with an initial "pre-order" program of only 750 as 2009 models. All were paid in advance, and Harley never made any guarantees there would be any more of them. Those first 750 US models sold out, so Harley made the model a regular in the line-up for 2010, but they didn't advertise it a bit, choosing to ignore it while they promoted the rest of their line-up. The bike was arguably the best street bike Harley ever built, and certainly expanded them into market territory that was new to the H-D label - naked sportbikes - and it was a very good one, too. One the press raved about and applauded Harley bringing here...

But it languished in the showroom, much like Buell's did. Harley kept in the line-up for 2011 and 2012, but now it has disappeared from US shores. Why? Well, an awful lot of very smart folks seem to think it's because Harley didn't advertise or promote it.

And all the while the entire BMW brand operates in a niche bubble, and its best selling bike in the US (and the world) operates in an even tinier niche of the motorcycle market - and they advertise the hell out of it. And it outsells all of its competition, dominating that niche.

You can continue to try to present an erroneous conclusion with short, sweeping, vague platitudes, but they don't prove your point. How about an example or two, in the motorcycle marketplace, to prove up your premise?

After all, we want to compare apples to apples here, right? Not Super Tenere's to chewing gum...

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists office. - Unknown

'Cos it's easier to try than to prove it can't be done, and it's easier to stay than to turn around and run. - Justin Hayward

Dallara screwed with this post 01-04-2013 at 03:27 PM
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:57 PM   #15212
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariusD View Post
Gryphon12: . What you say actually helps to make sense out of the way Yamaha introduced the S10 onto our market. It does seem like maybe Yamaha is quietly testing the waters in this niche bike segment. That's some interesting new information, you got me intriqued, I'll have to see if there's any additional info out about that.
Marius, go back to the early pages of this thread - you'll find all that you need, and more.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:58 PM   #15213
ballheadknuckle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
So the question is this...

Have any of you folks out there, anywhere in the world, heard of any major failures of a Super Tenere?

I'm not talking about crash damage, or busted sumps from poor skid plates (or no skid plates). No, I mean any *MAJOR*, catastrophic failures - the kind that means the bikes goes home on the tow truck or a trailer. Engine component failures, blown up final drives, exploding gearboxes, fragged clutches, busted frames, snapped swingarms, etc., etc., etc.
In germany some of the first edition bikes had problems with the cam chain tensioner. It reportely develops a ticking noise when it goes bad. They all got it replaced under warranty.
I don't know of a case where this had lead to a catastrophic failure, but if the cam chain tensioner fails it is a major failure.

Apart from that there was a recall for the luggage rack (the small metal piece on the inside was inserted) and for the spokes they went from "check" to the "torque them to spec" instruction.

ballheadknuckle screwed with this post 01-04-2013 at 02:06 PM
ballheadknuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:09 PM   #15214
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Oddometer: 2,819
Quote:
And all the while the entire BMW brand operates in a niche bubble, and it's best selling bike in the US (and the world) operates in an even tinier niche of the motorcycle market - and they advertise the hell out of it.
Dallara~
BMW also has the advantage of cheap financing. Right now you can 2.95% on left over ''11 & '12 Beemer's here in Canada. The '13 models are available for 5.95%. Most banks here want at least 7-8% for a loan. Makes a difference on a + $20g bike.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:49 PM   #15215
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaumev View Post

Very funny but...

Price is not an excuse. This is s 15.000 bike!!
Where I live you have to pay a premium for serious problems

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:56 PM   #15216
MariusD
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Quote:
Your contention is that the Super Tenere has been "successful" despite not being advertised, but you are making a ratehr large assumption about it being "successful", at least in North America. We actually don't know that yet. 2013 will be the year where it will sell without the PDP program - i.e. where Yamaha will not have each one produced already paid for. This will be the year that tells the tale whether it will remain in Yamaha's line-up in North America.
I can agree with you that we don't know what the future holds for this model yet. I base my assumption on the fact that dealerships in my area tell me that they are unable to get demo bikes because all available units are in someone's inventory. Maybe production numbers are just that low for this model, but it appears there definitely isn't a glut of inventory of Tenere's, which also makes it unnecessary to advertise them. Whether it's a real success we'll just have to see.

And sure, there are two dealerships in my area that have '12 tenere's sitting on the showroom floor, right next to '12 stroms which have been there just as long. This may be more of a result of economic uncertainty than lack of success of either bike.
MariusD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:36 PM   #15217
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,663
Quote:

And my local Yamaha dealer has had a nice, brand new 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere sitting on his floor for 9 months, heavily discounted.

Dallara

~
$?
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:44 PM   #15218
okiegtrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker View Post
$?
I'd be interested in knowing where that dealer is. Super tenere is just one of the things dealers here in OK have never heard of.
okiegtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:16 AM   #15219
Reverend12
Well there it is..

Oddometer: 1,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by okiegtrider View Post
I'd be interested in knowing where that dealer is. Super tenere is just one of the things dealers here in OK have never heard of.

There are 2 black 2012's on the floor at Smith Brothers in Oneonta, Alabama.. 205-274-0789
Reverend12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:19 AM   #15220
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,985
Dealer in Kalispell!

Had a few and a demo on the floor a few months ago and told me they were selling well. I had bought mine a year earlier when no one knew how good they really were. Seems word has gotten out and they are selling more. Certainly not as popular as a Harley but then 90% of the bikes I see in the US are Harleys.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:20 AM   #15221
Superstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneTraveler View Post
In the same position as you: my 2000 Concours is getting cranky with age, to the point that she's asking more from me than my partner!

Same issue on colour too: I really like the white, it matches my car, would go well with my red gear, and is more visible.

But there's something about that matte grey that just says "buy me, bitch."
I agree. When I bought my blue '12 I was worried that I would regret not waiting two weeks (and probably spending 1.5k more) for the white. I finally saw the white when I went to pick up my tags and it didn't do it for me in person...but what really surprised me was the matte black. It looks GREAT in person...something about it just doesn't translate in pix.
Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:21 AM   #15222
Superstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Had a DL1000 and an FJR. You don't need to do a bunch of research.
Just buy the Tenere. No comparison to the Strom 1000. Strom owners will
throw dollar difference or if you just blah, blah. blah it will be as good as a Tenere.
They are in denial. I rode my old Strom after having the Tenere for a few months.
I couldn't believe I used to enjoy the Strom. The Tenere is a much better bike. Period.

Oh, and I kept the KLR.

Had 2 DL1000s and loved them both.

My S10 is worlds better.
Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:39 AM   #15223
20valves
Yamaholic

Oddometer: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by okiegtrider View Post
Except my dealer in OKC, Maxey's, has sold about 8 or more of 'em and the dealer himself owns one so you're talking to the wrong dealer.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:14 AM   #15224
okiegtrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20valves View Post
Except my dealer in OKC, Maxey's, has sold about 8 or more of 'em and the dealer himself owns one so you're talking to the wrong dealer.
No doubt about it, talking to wrong dealer. In rural areas of OK dealers focus on atv market. Some have very few motorcyles at all. And even when they do have a few, mostly cruisers. I understand why it's that way, they stock what they can sell. Still disappointing sometimes.
okiegtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:24 AM   #15225
~TABASCO~
www.rideonadv.com

Oddometer: 381
I think my dealer Stadium Yamaha, Irving TX has some for a good price... Call Jason