Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2010, 06:38 AM   #1516
orlando_orange
deslyxic tepyr

Oddometer: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD
Isn't a xtz660 a mid range bike?
hmmm... i guess you got me there... what do you call something that is a multi-cylinder 850-900cc bike?? mid to upper range???

but i think it's a very good point that anything Yam bought out in the 800-900cc range was going to take some market share from the 660 so they've steered well clear and gone for a markedly different market...
Old 02-26-2010, 06:55 AM   #1517
jeffs900s
Prophet of Doom

Oddometer: 1,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando_orange
i think it'd be interesting to see what bikes the guys picking fault with the s10 are riding.... seems like hating this bike is a requirement if you ride a bmw...
I have a BMW and actually rather like the new Yamaha. And, why wouldn't I, it basically is an R1200GS/GS Adventure. Similar size, weight, price, power,accessories, features... My only real criticism is that Yamaha didn't demonstrate a lot of imagination here, and didn't give me any reason to switch from my current bike to theirs. If they had made a reliable, low-maintenance KTM 990 copy instead, I may have been tempted.

jeffs900s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:02 AM   #1518
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniff800gs
Thanks for the pictures. Just a reaction to some of the poor attention to detail.
No steel-braided-teflon-break-hoses just cheap rubber ones. SSTB is standard on Bmw.
Well that's only the last few bikes, so be fair...

Quote:
Sorry I refuse to whack-off to something so sloppy/stupidly made for "adventure".
This is a SUV that that sells on looks and feelings not common sense.
All these "I-want-one" or "I-buy-one-now" confirms the old truth that 90% of people riding motorcycles don't know shit about them.
That of course does NOT include YOU!
Nice Flame...

But i think you would be more convincing if yoy compared it wit the sloppy workmanship of the R12GS, that seperates into to halves, just hitting a baby Audi :-)

And that separating of the front-end happend to a few Adventurists too...

Riding tips: . -----www.LazyMotorbike.eu-----
R3B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:06 AM   #1519
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,238
Quote:
I have a BMW and actually rather like the new Yamaha. And, why wouldn't I, it basically is an R1200GS/GS Adventure. Similar size, weight, price, power,accessories, features... My only real criticism is that Yamaha didn't demonstrate a lot of imagination here, and didn't give me any reason to switch from my current bike to theirs. If they had made a reliable, low-maintenance KTM 990 copy instead, I may have been tempted.
You would be silly to change, I agree.

If you happen to be one of the 5% of owners that suffer problems though, you might.

Secondly, I don't think people will rush out and buy one sight unseen either.

They will have top prove themselves in the segment, and BMW isn't standing still either these days.

So hopefully the competition is a good thing. I hope that they are successful enough to be around for a while and the segment is better for it.

Cheers
Graham
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:10 AM   #1520
orlando_orange
deslyxic tepyr

Oddometer: 694
Quote:
You would be silly to change, I agree.

If you happen to be one of the 5% of owners that suffer problems though, you might.

Secondly, I don't think people will rush out and buy one sight unseen either.

They will have top prove themselves in the segment, and BMW isn't standing still either these days.

So hopefully the competition is a good thing. I hope that they are successful enough to be around for a while and the segment is better for it.

Cheers
Graham
i agree, i don't think you will get many, if any, people changing from 1200gs's to the s10's as i think they're pretty much the same and the bmw has the history..
Old 02-26-2010, 07:12 AM   #1521
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3B

But i think you would be more convincing if yoy compared it wit the sloppy workmanship of the R12GS, that seperates into to halves, just hitting a baby Audi :-)

I think what you are refering to is called precision lightweight engineering.

I suppose we will have to wait and see what happens to a tenere when it hits a small Audi to be certain, but shooot man were you on it at the time?
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:28 AM   #1522
Saso
chronically restless

Oddometer: 875
Quote:
I hope that they are successful enough to be around for a while and the segment is better for it.
I suspect there will be some amazing ride reports from remote parts of the world involving these bikes in the years to come.
Saso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:42 AM   #1523
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
I think what you are refering to is called precision lightweight engineering.

I suppose we will have to wait and see what happens to a tenere when it hits a small Audi to be certain, but shooot man were you on it at the time?
Yup that's what i meant, that GS had a lot of sheared of parts just by the decelleration (which was quite abrupt i have to say) the komplete subframe whit the beak was loose, the protruding lips of the headstock mountings were all broken open...

And luckily i wasn't on it, sadly my girlfriend was on it, had some mending to do, but now she rides a 660 B10 (baby-tenere)

And that was a real eyeopener, we also have a Derbi with that 660 engine, but in the Yamaha it is a real magnitude nicer, where the Derbi balk and bucks at low rev's the Tenere is a real smooth-operator©

Knowing the impressive traction of the TDM900 270°, i expect great ridability, and impressive traction out of corners, with the Ducati Oumpfff which pushes you into the buddy, feel ing the tires claw into the tarmac.

Will cost a lot of TKC's knobblies i'm affriad...

Riding tips: . -----www.LazyMotorbike.eu-----
R3B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:50 AM   #1524
davinist
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3B
Yup that's what i meant, that GS had a lot of sheared of parts just by the decelleration (which was quite abrupt i have to say) the komplete subframe whit the beak was loose, the protruding lips of the headstock mountings were all broken open...

And luckily i wasn't on it, sadly my girlfriend was on it, had some mending to do, but now she rides a 660 B10 (baby-tenere)

And that was a real eyeopener, we also have a Derbi with that 660 engine, but in the Yamaha it is a real magnitude nicer, where the Derbi balk and bucks at low rev's the Tenere is a real smooth-operator©

Knowing the impressive traction of the TDM900 270°, i expect great ridability, and impressive traction out of corners, with the Ducati Oumpfff which pushes you into the buddy, feel ing the tires claw into the tarmac.

Will cost a lot of TKC's knobblies i'm affriad...
Just clicked that link had a read of your better half's story. Amazing girl you have there, huge respect to her.
davinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:34 AM   #1525
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,244
R3B, terrible accident, but great story! She is a "real trooper" as we would say here.

She has a very nice way with words and web posting. Might could write a book. I would expect it would be interesting read.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:49 AM   #1526
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3B
Well that's only the last few bikes, so be fair...

Nice Flame...

that sounds like some pretty good engineering to me - if the bike had not absorbed the blow, the rider would have. I'm glad to hear she's OK.
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:13 AM   #1527
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3B
Ducati Oumpfff which pushes you .
ironic given ducati's new multi is like twice the power and half the weight. Let's see if i were going to spend 15 or 20 k on a bike
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:38 AM   #1528
coast range rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by MookieBlaylock
ironic given ducati's new multi is like twice the power and half the weight. Let's see if i were going to spend 15 or 20 k on a bike
Ducati Multi 1200 has labor intensive maintenance and smaller front tire. Otherwise looks much better than Super Tenere to me too. I suppose Yamaha is more reliable than Ducati?
coast range rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:02 AM   #1529
joefromsf
Dark Happens

Oddometer: 1,523
Anybody have any idea where the air filter is and how convenient the access is? (Important for those that would ride in the dirt, and a real PITA on the VStroms)
joefromsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:45 AM   #1530
Garand
Keeper of Useful Sarcasms

Oddometer: 679
Personally I like it, Hopefully we'll be able to get them in the States!

Garand is offline   Reply With Quote