Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 10:14 AM   #15421
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by displacedScot View Post
I've got my eye on this beauty.

I love the looks of this machine but then I like the fuglystrada. All of my riding is tarmac with the Fugly. 90% two up. I am worried after studying forums etc that this may be underpowered for long distance two up riding. I know I (we) need a test ride to work this out and I know it isnt going to be like the Multi. However in some circumstances the Multi is too quick as my better half gets caught out when I'm overtaking as she cant see past my helmet.

Any two up riders gone from the Multi to the Ten and have opinions on the power?

Oh..and will I look a complete knob riding a Worldcrosser on the road??

Much appreciated
I gave up my FJR after owning the Tenere for 6 months. I'm pretty sure the FJR would give
your Multi a nice rear view. I can't say I dont' miss the thrust rocket once in a while.
I just was more comfortable and I liked the plusher ride (more travel) of the Tenere.

The Tenere can still get out of it's own way doubled up. Just not with the authority
of some other bikes. I have not found a semi it can't get around with still giving a
good grin.

Why are you considering the switch? Is it something deeper than just want to try something
differrent?
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:53 AM   #15422
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,262
Quote:
I am worried after studying forums etc that this may be underpowered for long distance two up riding.
It's definitely not underpowered for any use, including two-up. Some would even consider the torquier, less-peaky power delivery better for two-up. But.... the Multi is a basically an upright sportbike and as such it has that hard-hitting power that is ever-present and effortless - the S10 doesn't. With 90 or so RWHP, it's got enough, but it never feels like a powerful sportbike.

It all depends on what you're looking for.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:15 AM   #15423
sleepyOwl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Why are you considering the switch? Is it something deeper than just want to try something
differrent?
Although I have had little trouble with the Duc in two years ownership, we are now going to be touring further afield into Europe and the reliability just keeps picking away at the back of my head. Shaft drive is another reason also.
I went to the Duc from a CBR1000RR and also had a Tiger 1050. Age caught up and now I find myself searching for a smoother power delivery. The Tex1200 would sound a great otion but I just dont like the way it looks. The sleepy owl on the engine just seems to be mocking me!

Everything is Amazing and No one is Happy

sleepyOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:16 AM   #15424
Flydream
King of the Atlantic

Oddometer: 357
Thumb

Any two up riders gone from the Multi to the Ten and have opinions on the power?

Much appreciated[/QUOTE]

I came from a HONDA cbr1000rr 2008. May be I'm getting old, but to tell you the truth, I'm not missing the power, and my wife also love this bike
Flydream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:25 AM   #15425
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 8,882
Quote:
...I am worried after studying forums etc that this may be underpowered for long distance two up riding...

I was lurking, in this discussion, and just couldn't get past this ^^^.

I feel compelled to ask, "What forum/forums did that come from?" I can tell you, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that whomever threw that out there doesn't know their ass from their elbow. In it's sweet-spot, the ST pulls like a friggin' freight train.

If I was leaving tomorrow (single or two-up), for a 10000+ mile journey, the ST would be my bike of choice...HANDS DOWN.

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:26 AM   #15426
Specterx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Just as a suggestion. Otter box does make a product with an opening end lid.
It's not the same volume as what you have there, but access would be easier
and would also give a little room cushion. Could bolt to your bracket so
strap flopping would be a non issue as well.

Yes they make it in black. For well known reasons I went with yellow.
love it! gonna get one. thanks!
Specterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:39 AM   #15427
sleepyOwl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post
I was lurking, in this discussion, and just couldn't get past this ^^^.

I feel compelled to ask, "What forum/forums did that come from?" I can tell you, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that whomever threw that out there doesn't know their ass from their elbow. In it's sweet-spot, the ST pulls like a friggin' freight train.

If I was leaving tomorrow (single or two-up), for a 10000+ mile journey, the ST would be my bike of choice...HANDS DOWN.

That is great to know thanks. Its the long journeys I'm interested in and am I quite willing to give up the sportsbike characteristics of the Multi.

I started my search with google and started to notice that the word underpowered was showing up in a few forums. As you say, more than likely people who have never ridden the bike. This progressed to typing in "underpowered Tenere 1200" into google against my better judgement. The interweb is an evil place at times

I realise that it can only come down to my decision and a test ride is definately going to be on the cards. Its mainly the "having it there when needed" feeling of power delivery I was concerned about.
Thanks for all opinions so far

Everything is Amazing and No one is Happy

sleepyOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:47 AM   #15428
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 8,882
Quote:
That is great to know thanks. Its the long journeys I'm interested in and am I quite willing to give up the sportsbike characteristics of the Multi.

I started my search with google and started to notice that the word underpowered was showing up in a few forums. As you say, more than likely people who have never ridden the bike. This progressed to typing in "underpowered Tenere 1200" into google against my better judgement. The interweb is an evil place at times

I realise that it can only come down to my decision and a test ride is definately going to be on the cards. Its mainly the "having it there when needed" feeling of power delivery I was concerned about.
Thanks for all opinions so far

I think we're talking "relativity", here.

Yes, on paper, the ST (and Stelvio) are "underpowered", when compared to some of the other bikes. However, for real-world usage, I can honestly say that I haven't run-up against anything that I felt the available power, on the ST, couldn't get me out of.

If you peruse some of the forums, and see some of the pics, some of these dudes don't leave anything behind, when they travel. In fact, I think I've caught a glimpse of a couple of kitchen sinks strapped to the back. So, as far as I can tell, the ST is the motorcycle equivalent of a pack mule: strong, heavy, and stone-cold reliable...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:59 AM   #15429
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,541
When that's in the higher positions it looks like it would let a lot of air in from the bottom....is that a problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
I've got Tobinators on mine. They make it very easy to adjust the windshield even while riding.

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mot...e/8110002.html
Old 01-14-2013, 12:12 PM   #15430
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,454
Quote:
You are to brackets what Jaumev is to stickers.
Bah! you are a jealous guy

jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:48 PM   #15431
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaumev View Post
Bah! you are a jealous guy

Hmmmm, maybe a little.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:58 PM   #15432
Xeroo
sweeet!

Oddometer: 20
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-hHOb156eOk

i think the st have enough power :)
Old 01-14-2013, 01:08 PM   #15433
freeflow
get in or go in

Oddometer: 15,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post
-Is there any secret to the ST...hate to do this...like the KLR...where you can lean the bike one way or the other, to get the last coupla' ounces?

-And, is there any secret to filling beyond that stupid little tank-neck thing, without getting fuel all over your tank and seat?

take your time and squeeze more in a little splash at a time to get up and around the expansion area of the tank...

and if you push it like that...carry one of these...= 10 miles of ride...but for you, we better say 8 miles

fits perfect in one of these....

freeflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:29 PM   #15434
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,102
I came off the Multi 12 2010 model to the Super Ten.

I think it is a better ride 2up, but my wife really liked the Multi12 also. Much better wind protection on the Super Ten. Suspension is pretty good right out of the crate. Pretty much ready to go on the touring. Need to keep an eye on the spokes (4k mile service/check). Mine went to Alaska and back, still dirty but no problems other than loosing a spoke nut somewhere in B.C. on the way home. Local Yamaha dealer cross ref a nut, put me on my way.

Much much easier to work on than the Multi12. Tank, tilts up to access anything underneath, or remove to do valves. I like it!

Packed for my 10,000 mile trip to Alaska! (no kitchen sink here, but pretty good load)

And when I got home after 21 days.

llamapacker screwed with this post 01-14-2013 at 01:37 PM
llamapacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:36 PM   #15435
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,262
Quote:
I started my search with google and started to notice that the word underpowered was showing up in a few forums.
The term "underpowered" is relative. The S10 does have the dubious distinction of being at or near the bottom of the pack with respect to power in the group of liter+ adventure bike powerplants. Combined with the hefty weight, the bike will feel slow if you ride it back-to-back with something like the Multistrada. OTOH, 90 hp with good torque is more power than almost any situation requires. I'm not sure I'd characterize it as "pulling like a freight train", but it has a very nice spread of power through the mid-range that is completely useable.

The S10 is a relatively mellow all-arounder that does everything very well. But it's not an adventure bike to impress people or mix it up with sportbikes going 100+. The Multistrada is the bike for this.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote