Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 01:59 PM   #15436
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,070
I find freight trains really slow compared to the S10

But just to put it into perspective.

The term slow in the "more HP is better" bike world means less power you don't really need.

Or put another way this "slow" bike when loaded with two people and luggage has about the same power per ton as a C5 LS1 Corvette, with just the driver and a wallet, and probably similar engine characteristics.

So yes, if you consider a C5 LS1 'vette slow, I suppose it is slow.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:59 PM   #15437
ballheadknuckle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by displacedScot View Post
I am worried after studying forums etc that this may be underpowered for long distance two up riding. I know I (we) need a test ride to work this out and I know it isnt going to be like the Multi
I would put it that way: The Tenere is not underpowered, but is not a bike that you buy because of its power.
ballheadknuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:00 PM   #15438
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,068
Quote:
Although I have had little trouble with the Duc in two years ownership, we are now going to be touring further afield into Europe and the reliability just keeps picking away at the back of my head. Shaft drive is another reason also.
I went to the Duc from a CBR1000RR and also had a Tiger 1050. Age caught up and now I find myself searching for a smoother power delivery. The Tex1200 would sound a great otion but I just dont like the way it looks. The sleepy owl on the engine just seems to be mocking me!
I would say a good percentage of Tenere owners bought for those exact reasons. Knew there was
something out there a little more exotic, more power, name label etc..but what was really important
was total trust in a bike. The thought of planning a trip that would involve as little mechanical drama
as possible becomes more and more appealing. Many are "been there done that" riders who may still
keep a shits and giggles bike in the garage but have the Tenere as the go to ride when the finish is more
important than the speed doing it.

Sounds like you've been researching the options and realize the Tenere is earning a strong reputation
for dependability and owner satifaction. As an owner I can see why.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:45 PM   #15439
Against The Wind
I'm older now but still runnin'

Oddometer: 1,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
I would say a good percentage of Tenere owners bought for those exact reasons. Knew there was
something out there a little more exotic, more power, name label etc..but what was really important
was total trust in a bike. The thought of planning a trip that would involve as little mechanical drama
as possible becomes more and more appealing. Many are "been there done that" riders who may still
keep a shits and giggles bike in the garage but have the Tenere as the go to ride when the finish is more

That's me exactly!! I wanted no drama on my riding holidays.. BMW left me stranded more than once and far away from home..

I now have a double Yammy stable and I'm very pleased with both. Solid, dependable.. it took me a while to get to really like the Super Ten.. and really like the punchy engine, especially after doing the 5 second clutch switch bypass mod.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:24 PM   #15440
William42
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,470
Quote:

Sounds like you've been researching the options and realize the Tenere is earning a strong reputation
for dependability and owner satifaction. As an owner I can see why.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:36 PM   #15441
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,046
Quote:
I am worried after studying forums etc that this may be underpowered for long distance two up riding.
good grief, apparently no bike in the universe is powerful enough for 2 up unless it has 150 hp or a BMW roundrel
Old 01-14-2013, 03:39 PM   #15442
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,483
I could let him ride my KLR, next to that the S10 feels like a rocket ship!
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:45 PM   #15443
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,075
Quote:
That is great to know thanks. Its the long journeys I'm interested in and am I quite willing to give up the sportsbike characteristics of the Multi.

I started my search with google and started to notice that the word underpowered was showing up in a few forums. As you say, more than likely people who have never ridden the bike. This progressed to typing in "underpowered Tenere 1200" into google against my better judgement. The interweb is an evil place at times

I realise that it can only come down to my decision and a test ride is definately going to be on the cards. Its mainly the "having it there when needed" feeling of power delivery I was concerned about.
Thanks for all opinions so far
When you test ride one, bring along a mini fuse. Insert it into the wire socket below the clutch master cylinder and presto, you've undone the significant power restrictions that Yamaha placed on the first 3 gears. Takes seconds to insert and later remove, and will give you a taste of what the bike would feel like with an ECU reflash that permanently removes the restrictions. Note that S and T mode will no longer function as the bike is now in "SS" mode till you remove the fuse.

2006 Djebel 250XC

twinrider screwed with this post 01-14-2013 at 04:30 PM
twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:45 PM   #15444
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,760
Thumb Amen!

Quote:

for dependability and owner satifsaction. As an owner I can see why.

Damn, Pluric!

That's about as wonderful, eloquent, and concise a description as I could imagine of exactly why I bought my Super Tenere. Perfectly put.

Outstanding!

And the bloody bike is outstanding, too. As fun, trustworthy, faithful, and enthusiastic as a loyal Labrador Retreiver.

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:46 PM   #15445
Domromer
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post
good grief, apparently no bike in the universe is powerful enough for 2 up unless it has 150 hp or a BMW roundrel
I swear to Christ I will lose my shit if I hear anyone worrying about a 1000cc bike not having enough power for touring two up. Stop drinking the Kool aid folks, it doesn't take 200hp to move two people down the highway at a steady clip.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:59 PM   #15446
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
I gave up my FJR after owning the Tenere for 6 months. I'm pretty sure the FJR would give your Multi a nice rear view.
I'm not so certain about that one. Maybe the same way as the Tenere gives the Camhead GS the rear view?

The Multi is light. Very light. And it pulls like crazy. That engine is a total beast. Totally possible that I'm wrong here but I would put my money on the Multi for "showing the rear". Especially if we are not talking straight line. But even there I'm not certain.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:22 PM   #15447
Specterx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Heated handle grip

Thought I would share. the cheap mans variable temperature handle grip heaters. I got some tusk handle grip heaters and a cheap 12v PWM modulator and aluminum case. Just finished testing and it works like a champ. I did have to cut the case down to make it fit the PWM.

PWM $13.99
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281027916416...84.m1497.l2649

Case $7.27
http://www.ebay.com/itm/380461406262...84.m1497.l2649

also you will need a set of grip heaters (tusk brand work great). At 100% they are too hot for me.

Specterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:34 PM   #15448
Domromer
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
http://scootercanada.weebly.com/

Across Canada two up on a 50cc scooter.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:35 PM   #15449
creggur
There are no curves here.

Oddometer: 277
Underpowered? Compared to a Multi...sure.
Pulls like a freight train? Not really - but as the bike breaks in it does feel much smoother and more powerful.
Plenty of juice to tour two-up? Oh yeah, and damn comfortable in the process.
Fast? Yeah - me and a buddy following me on his Street Triple strolled along at a buck-twenty-five indicated for a number of miles (closed course ;) ). The Big Blue Girl had no issues!

It's a great bike, but if you want to get a real feel for it, find one for a test-ride that has 8,000 miles or more on the clock. The engine is so tight out of the box it takes a few K to really work in. I swear mine (8,600 miles) feels stronger and smoother every time I ride it.

Clutch Switch mod or reflash is a must to get rid of the silly emissions-based restrictions in the first three gears. I could also tell a difference when I installed the Akra pipe as well - the engine needs to breathe.
Originally Posted by scottie boy View Post
If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle.
creggur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:27 PM   #15450
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
I'm not so certain about that one. Maybe the same way as the Tenere gives the Camhead GS the rear view?

The Multi is light. Very light. And it pulls like crazy. That engine is a total beast. Totally possible that I'm wrong here but I would put my money on the Multi for "showing the rear". Especially if we are not talking straight line. But even there I'm not certain.
Well a quick google shows the bikes within tenths of a second on the 1/4 mile.
FJR tops out at 154. I admit I'm biased to my memory when the FJR hit it's sweet
spot 3rd gear on. Sometimes things seemed to happen too fast.

I think you know my experience with late model GS humiliation. I will say they have
a very visable tail light.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote