Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2010, 05:26 PM   #1561
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical C
You forgot to list the Ct110 as well that is stick in road bikes (I think) for some reason.
EVERYONE KNOWS THAT IS THE BEST ADV BIKE IN THE WHOLE WORLD.

So I didn't bother listing it, I thought we were talking about the also rans..
Big shock last year though!!

Check it out...

Honda CT110 2724 2452 11.1%
Kawasaki EX250J 2554 2352 8.6%

Up until July the Kawasaki was outselling it but Ausy post came through in the end and fixed it up on the back straight around the charts.

Anyway back to the big 1200cc Tenere.......

Cheers
Graham

GrahamD screwed with this post 02-26-2010 at 05:49 PM
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:37 PM   #1562
Roam
If you want to

Oddometer: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyman1978
12,620 on the road 2010 RRP for YZF-R1 in the UK
And an R1 cost $13290 in the states so I would guess that the Super Tenere will come in around $15K-16K. This is basically what the FJR is priced at also.

Roam screwed with this post 02-26-2010 at 05:45 PM
Roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:59 PM   #1563
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by MookieBlaylock
yea but you forgot the 150 horsepower and the low 400 lbs weight. Thats a bit more than "a little less lard" Oink Oink soooooeeeeee
423lbs *DRY* weight, put some petrol water and other fluids in it, and suddenly the mandril tips off the scales nicely into XTZ/GS territory

And ys the ducatie has 150 Bhp at 10.000, but what's the use of it in terrain (or on the road btw?) an Adventure bike needs *grunt*, i was silently hoping they would plant the MT01 engin in it, *that* would have been ideal :-)

You only need bhp in verry loose sand, but on all other terrein you be better of with *torque* in the low revs,otherwise you'll just spin the backweel till the bellypan touches ground :-)

All those big numbers really don't mean that much, not even o tarmac more often than not they "promote" people into cornerfright...

Riding tips: . -----www.LazyMotorbike.eu-----
R3B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:08 PM   #1564
earthroamer
Stuck in Pindadesh

Oddometer: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3B
And ys the ducatie has 150 Bhp at 10.000, but what's the use of it in terrain (or on the road btw?) an Adventure bike needs *grunt*, i was silently hoping they would plant the MT01 engin in it, *that* would have been ideal :-)

You only need bhp in verry loose sand, but on all other terrein you be better of with *torque* in the low revs,otherwise you'll just spin the backweel till the bellypan touches ground
Or, just select the Enduro mode.
earthroamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:15 PM   #1565
Rick West
Function not Farkles

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthroamer
Or, just select the Enduro mode.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:28 PM   #1566
earthroamer
Stuck in Pindadesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3B
423lbs *DRY* weight, put some petrol water and other fluids in it, and suddenly the mandril tips off the scales nicely into XTZ/GS territory
Curb weight of the Super Tenere is 575 lbs!!!! That's a lot of fluids.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:30 PM   #1567
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
I can't fathom all these "why didn't they make it more dirt-worthy, like a 990?" comments. They did, it's right here:

The 1200 is never going to serve the same market as the 660. 1200 is a silly size for a serious dirtbike. The GS1200 is about perfect for what it does - touring, with dirt - and that's the market the Big Ten will chase too.

Remember, most ADV bikes sell to posing Europeans who will never ride them off-road (just like most Jeeps sell to posing Californians who won't either). Yamaha don't give a fuck how this bike performs on washboard or in sand. Maybe the engineering team do, out of professional pride, but no one else does.

That said, numbers on paper mean nothing. The GS1200 is an easier bike to ride on dirt than my 800 is, and I reckon the Super will have a similar feel to it.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:45 PM   #1568
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by raider
Yamaha don't give a fuck how this bike performs on washboard or in sand. Maybe the engineering team do, out of professional pride, but no one else does.
Wait a little, Yamaha isn't BMW...

I can understand your thoughts BMW bringing a GS on castwheels...

Now look closer to te XTZ, and see, al kind of little touches, or should i say toughes, to strenghten its out of bounds travel potential...

Like the small Tenere beets the F800GS with streetlenghts, so will its big brother...

Old 02-26-2010, 06:50 PM   #1569
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthroamer
Curb weight of the Super Tenere is 575 lbs!!!! That's a lot of fluids.
Well just ad up the little quarts of oil, 2o litre petrol, some litres coolant, and not to forget the half a litre braking and clutch goey, and you'll see the difference is no more than a tankfilling. (ps. is Ducati as honest with its weights as yamaha, or more like BMW :---)

Old 02-26-2010, 07:02 PM   #1570
zuma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Mmmm, 114nm @ 6000, 270 crank, long stroke motor. It just sounds better and better, this bike will be a great tourer, just made for Australian conditions.

Quote from article on new GS 1200. "BMW says it has also been working hard on improving the build quality and reliability, and so it should as these have been unacceptable in recent years, especially on a bike designed to take you to wild and remote places". Be afraid BMW, be very afraid.

Was having a coffee this morning with some friends when two GS 1200 riders went past standing on the pegs, lotsa rough conditions in our urban environment, not! It goes without saying they ignored us too, gave us all a good laugh anyway; GS riders really are a world apart (or think they are)

Top selling Adventure Touring bike in Oz January to December 2009: Kawasaki KL 650E.
zuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:05 PM   #1571
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3B
It's amazing how everyone jumps on the weight. The VFR1200 was the same.

Everyone was going off about how much of a porker it was comparing all the dry weights against the Honda's honest wet weights.

Once you git all the real wet weights together it was just below half way down the list and a HUGE improvement over the ST1300.

Why does anyone buy a cruiser. I mean Geez 350Kg DRY is not uncommon.

If YAMAHA did decide to make the XT1200 out of titanium and Magnesium Foam Alloy, everyone would then shift to complaining about the price.

Considering YAMAHAS long history in off road events, I would think that the engineers probably know a thing or two about what is important.

Maybe they decided that it should be the toughest, mutha F$%^&er ADV Tourer out there and built it accordingly.

Maybe they talked to all the DAKAR competitors about what they found important, they have had a lot of bikes in that event for many years haven't they? Probably the most consistent competitor over the years I would say.

So just chill out, wait for the Seth Afikaans to give em a good belting, and see how it goes. This thread should have about 1,000,000 post by that stage though

Cheers
Graham

GrahamD screwed with this post 02-26-2010 at 07:11 PM
Old 02-26-2010, 07:14 PM   #1572
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuma

Was having a coffee this morning with some friends when two GS 1200 riders went past standing on the pegs, lotsa rough conditions in our urban environment, not!
Were they wearing their designer ADVenture gear as well?

Cheers
Graham
Old 02-26-2010, 07:16 PM   #1573
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by raider
I can't fathom all these "why didn't they make it more dirt-worthy, like a 990?" comments. They did, it's right here:
It's funny that

It's like YAMAHA stopped making all their other bikes!!

Cheers
Graham
Old 02-26-2010, 07:30 PM   #1574
earthroamer
Stuck in Pindadesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3B
Well just ad up the little quarts of oil, 2o litre petrol, some litres coolant, and not to forget the half a litre braking and clutch goey, and you'll see the difference is no more than a tankfilling. (ps. is Ducati as honest with its weights as yamaha, or more like BMW :---)
150 lbs !!!
Old 02-26-2010, 09:04 PM   #1575
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3B
Wait a little, Yamaha isn't BMW...

I can understand your thoughts BMW bringing a GS on castwheels...
All BMW GS models have spoked wheels as options or OE fitment except the F658.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3b
Now look closer to te XTZ, and see, al kind of little touches, or should i say toughes, to strenghten its out of bounds travel potential...

Like the small Tenere beets the F800GS with streetlenghts, so will its big brother...
I did look very closely at the new 660 when I bought my 800. In fact, it was the 660 I originally wanted. It's a very nicely-designed bike, with a great range of ADV-worthy accessories that mean I'd never need to trouble a Touratech catalogue again.

What really put me off is the price ($16,000 - twice the price of a DR650, 20% more than a Transalp, same price as an F658) and lack of ABS, even as an option. It's a low-tech bike (intended as a compliment - that's an advantage for ADV bikes) but it sells at a high-tech price. That, and Yamaha Australia refuse to provide demo bikes, so I would have been paying a deposit for a bike I'd never ridden. No thanks.

In the end, these things conspired to make the bike less attractive to me than the more expensive F800.

I hope Yamaha Oz look at the dismal sales of the small Tenere and adjust their pricing and attitude before the Super arrives - they're both bikes that deserve to do well.