ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2013, 06:05 AM   #15856
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,405
Laugh This bought a smile to my face

This bought a smile to my face....

An extract from this new BMW GS review. http://www.pistonheads.com/xforums/t...0BMW%20R1200GS

The chassis is also new with the swingarm redesigned and the single-sided hub moved to the other side of the bike along with the exhaust. BMW says as well as making wheel changes easier, this also means that when you push the bike you don't lean against the pipe as generally people push from the left.

Obviously so much of a problem they had to adjust the design for it.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:46 AM   #15857
true grip
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
Thats funny.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:45 AM   #15858
Tim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,358
Worlscrosser stickers

Iridemotorbikes, sorry to only arrive late at this discussion but IMO your tank decals are fitted wrongly in that you have them fitted on the opposite sides of the tank to how Yamaha intended.

You are correct that they are different to all of the pre-production photos that were issued by Yamaha, such as the one below.

You can see that this bike has the longer and thinner tank stripes that run down almost as far as the top of the seat. You can also see that the 'screen decal is a one piece design rather than the three pieces that you got in your kit in that the red pinstripe that runs along the base of the screen continues below the screen brackets.

I got exactly the same sticker kit as you did when I got my Worldcrosser and as you can see my tank stickers look totally different to yours.

If you mentally move my sticker across the tank to the other side you will see that it matches where you have put yours, with the point turning in towards the centre line of the tank.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:01 AM   #15859
sallydog
no more Green KLR

Oddometer: 5,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHumW View Post
+1 Stays in place very well. Undo the front snaps and slide it back onto the seat for fueling.
which wolfman bag is that?
Heaven's the place where all the dogs you've ever loved come to greet you
sallydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:07 AM   #15860
sallydog
no more Green KLR

Oddometer: 5,485
hows the zippers on the wolfman bags. looks like the zippers on the bmw bags.i have a nice one of them but the zippers come apart when you lean on the tank bag
Heaven's the place where all the dogs you've ever loved come to greet you
sallydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:30 AM   #15861
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallydog View Post
hows the zippers on the wolfman bags. looks like the zippers on the bmw bags.i have a nice one of them but the zippers come apart when you lean on the tank bag
I have several Wolfman bags. Tank and duffle style. Never have had a zipper fail.
Now the Toumaster stuff...... grrrrrrr.
pluric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:52 AM   #15862
White Tenere
Look a moose

Oddometer: 721
Rigid 6" LED light bar video

Just a short night video of the Rigid 6" LED SR series light bar (#90661) on my Tenere.

http://www.RigidIndustries.com/produ...esspecter6.htm
White Tenere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:43 PM   #15863
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,252
You are preaching to the choir, we all have those lights already. LOL
Old 02-02-2013, 05:37 PM   #15864
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post
This bought a smile to my face....

An extract from this new BMW GS review. http://www.pistonheads.com/xforums/t...0BMW%20R1200GS

The chassis is also new with the swingarm redesigned and the single-sided hub moved to the other side of the bike along with the exhaust. BMW says as well as making wheel changes easier, this also means that when you push the bike you don't lean against the pipe as generally people push from the left.

Obviously so much of a problem they had to adjust the design for it.
Few model reviews come as close to this in regards of complete brand fellatio.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:53 AM   #15865
BHumW
so many roads...

Oddometer: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallydog View Post
which wolfman bag is that?
Used to be called Explorer, now Ranier.

Like Pluric said, very sturdy zippers, big teeth and pulls. The one I had before this had smaller zippers and after about 100K the main zip finally gave out. Use a KLR tank bag liner (small trash bag) and it'll be waterproof too (except for the outside pockets).
Old 02-03-2013, 07:59 AM   #15866
DaveH250
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Iridemotorbikes, sorry to only arrive late at this discussion but IMO your tank decals are fitted wrongly in that you have them fitted on the opposite sides of the tank to how Yamaha intended.

You are correct that they are different to all of the pre-production photos that were issued by Yamaha, such as the one below.

You can see that this bike has the longer and thinner tank stripes that run down almost as far as the top of the seat. You can also see that the 'screen decal is a one piece design rather than the three pieces that you got in your kit in that the red pinstripe that runs along the base of the screen continues below the screen brackets.

I got exactly the same sticker kit as you did when I got my Worldcrosser and as you can see my tank stickers look totally different to yours.

If you mentally move my sticker across the tank to the other side you will see that it matches where you have put yours, with the point turning in towards the centre line of the tank.

Thats what is said but to each his own.

DRD
DaveH250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:25 PM   #15867
poggy
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Heated grips

Hi to everyone. I'm going to mount these german heated grips. Is anyone familiar with them?
poggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:02 PM   #15868
ballheadknuckle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by poggy View Post
Hi to everyone. I'm going to mount these german heated grips. Is anyone familiar with them?
There is some information in the German forums, those who have them seem satisfied.

This is the link to the post with some information http://www.xt1200z-forum.de/viewtopi...tart=50#p10121

Maybe you can Google translate the information you need, otherwise just ask.
ballheadknuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:28 PM   #15869
Ze_zaskar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
I've had my S10 for 2 years now, and I feel both done with farkling and ready for a final review of it.

Here it is now with the SW bashguard and the Off The Road.de windscreen:

The screen, which is 10cm taller than the original, was cheap (69) and pretty much eliminated turbulence problems without being a barn door. Still wondering if I wouldn't prefer the tinted version.

After 2 years of use, here are my opinions on the bike:

Plus:
- Reliability. It's the most reliable vehicle I ever owned, period. Never missed a bit, I trust it entirelly in getting me from place A to B at any time.

- Fuel consumption. Never goes over 5,5l/100km on my generally enthusiastic daily B road commute. Long travelling on B roads or cruising under 120km/h on the highway it hardly goes over 4,5l/100km.

- ABS/TCS. Both sistems saved my ass a good couple of times. They work well and are effective in making a big heavy bike easier and more relaxing to ride off road.

- Suspensions. At least comparing to the R1200GS, the F800GS, Tiger roadie, or even the XT660Z, the S10 has much better suspensions in my opinion. They feel much higher end. For this reason I would even choose the S10 over the F800 for open spaces off road riding.

- Low CoG. Feels lighter than it is, in any riding condition exept soft ground. It's also incredibly easy to lift.

- Geometry. Feels spot on in most situations.

- Engine character. I love thumpers, and this one feels like a really big thumper.

- Crashability. The bike has really few plastics, which are easly protected and no beak. The tank you see is really a tank, no pretty plastics around it.

-Seat. Nice shape and tough materials.

Minus:

- 19'' wheel. Personal preference here, but I'm not totally sold on the 19'' wheel. It sure has advantages in road stability and maybe tire wearing.But I think that a 21'' wheel would really improve off road riding and general confort without much hurt to road maners. I've never tried a really big bike with a 21'' wheel, so maybe I'm wrong on this.

- Air filter access. Taking off two side panels, lifting the tank and then removing 10 (!!) bolts seems a bit dumb on a bike that's overall easy to work on.

- TCS reset. Reseting from TCS Off to TCS 2 or 1 would be reasonable, but the complete reset the bike does is stupid and anoying.

- Weight. I know the weight it there because we are talking about a reliable 1200 adv bike, but you can feel it in tight offroad, steep climbs and sand/mud. But to me the answer is not a lighter 1200 bike, but yes a smaller cc one.

- Comsumption. Nice ate normal speeds, but when going at over 130km/h the thing starts drinking.

- Ground clearance. Yamaha could have done better on this. Would be spot on with 2 or 3 extra cm of susp. travel.

Overall, I'm really, really happy with it. It never failled and does everything I want.
There is no bike currently on that market that I would trade it for. If Yamaha lauched a 800/900 Tenere, that would be a different story.
I'm curious about the new GS, but I bet it's going to have some stupid reliability glitches on the first years. The new KTM 1190 ADV R sounds like everything I would want in a bike, but it's still a KTM. And that means horrible dealer network, expensive parts and maintenance and, at least for now, doubious reliability.
I'm also curious to see if BMW addressed any of the F800GS problems with this new version.
Ze_zaskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:48 PM   #15870
whisperquiet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 898
"- Air filter access. Taking off two side panels, lifting the tank and then removing 10 (!!) bolts seems a bit dumb on a bike that's overall easy to work on."

I agree............you would think the air box lid could be secured like the lids on most cars today-----with 4-6 hinged spring clips. It seems to work good on the cars I have owned.
whisperquiet is online now   Reply With Quote