Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 08:56 PM   #15871
Domromer
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
Finally got to sit on an s-10 today, this is definitely going to be my next bike. It felt so much narrower than my Wee. Now I just gotta find a used one.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:57 PM   #15872
crazyjeeper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domromer View Post
Finally got to sit on an s-10 today, this is definitely going to be my next bike. It felt so much narrower than my Wee. Now I just gotta find a used one.
There is a nice one in the Flea Market right now, only 1 state away.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=859265

(no affiliation)
Old 02-04-2013, 02:25 AM   #15873
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze_zaskar View Post

I'm curious about the new GS, but I bet it's going to have some stupid reliability glitches on the first years.I'm also curious to see if BMW addressed any of the F800GS problems with this new version.
...first years? How about the problems that have remained for decades like final drive and shaft failures from that single-sided swingarm design?

I think a would rather have a KTM because it's the lesser of 2 evils. A KTM might die on the roadside from engine problems, but stranding the rider pales in comparison with running gear failing and sending the rider over the bars. Even the Dakar thumper still has a problem with the fork bosses breaking off. At least KTM is normally sound in areas that would cause immediate crashes if they fail.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:16 AM   #15874
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze_zaskar View Post

After 2 years of use, here are my opinions on the bike:

Plus:
- Reliability. It's the most reliable vehicle I ever owned, period. Never missed a bit, I trust it entirelly in getting me from place A to B at any time.

- Fuel consumption. Never goes over 5,5l/100km on my generally enthusiastic daily B road commute. Long travelling on B roads or cruising under 120km/h on the highway it hardly goes over 4,5l/100km.

- ABS/TCS. Both sistems saved my ass a good couple of times. They work well and are effective in making a big heavy bike easier and more relaxing to ride off road.

- Suspensions. At least comparing to the R1200GS, the F800GS, Tiger roadie, or even the XT660Z, the S10 has much better suspensions in my opinion. They feel much higher end. For this reason I would even choose the S10 over the F800 for open spaces off road riding.

- Low CoG. Feels lighter than it is, in any riding condition exept soft ground. It's also incredibly easy to lift.

- Geometry. Feels spot on in most situations.

- Engine character. I love thumpers, and this one feels like a really big thumper.

- Crashability. The bike has really few plastics, which are easly protected and no beak. The tank you see is really a tank, no pretty plastics around it.

-Seat. Nice shape and tough materials.

Minus:

- 19'' wheel. Personal preference here, but I'm not totally sold on the 19'' wheel. It sure has advantages in road stability and maybe tire wearing.But I think that a 21'' wheel would really improve off road riding and general confort without much hurt to road maners. I've never tried a really big bike with a 21'' wheel, so maybe I'm wrong on this.

- Air filter access. Taking off two side panels, lifting the tank and then removing 10 (!!) bolts seems a bit dumb on a bike that's overall easy to work on.

- TCS reset. Reseting from TCS Off to TCS 2 or 1 would be reasonable, but the complete reset the bike does is stupid and anoying.

- Weight. I know the weight it there because we are talking about a reliable 1200 adv bike, but you can feel it in tight offroad, steep climbs and sand/mud. But to me the answer is not a lighter 1200 bike, but yes a smaller cc one.

- Comsumption. Nice ate normal speeds, but when going at over 130km/h the thing starts drinking.

- Ground clearance. Yamaha could have done better on this. Would be spot on with 2 or 3 extra cm of susp. travel.

Overall, I'm really, really happy with it. It never failled and does everything I want.
There is no bike currently on that market that I would trade it for. If Yamaha lauched a 800/900 Tenere, that would be a different story.
I'm curious about the new GS, but I bet it's going to have some stupid reliability glitches on the first years. The new KTM 1190 ADV R sounds like everything I would want in a bike, but it's still a KTM. And that means horrible dealer network, expensive parts and maintenance and, at least for now, doubious reliability.
I'm also curious to see if BMW addressed any of the F800GS problems with this new version.

One year and 10.000 km. I’m mostly agree with you. I’m only can comment:

Suspension: the OEM are OK, only need to upgrade in hard off road conditions or heavily loaded.

Engine character: I would like a little bit more character. I don’t like the vibrations when accelerating at low revs

19” front wheel: The 21” front wheel is the best change I made. The bike really improves a lot in off road and the road manners are OK with it. The ground clearance also is improved this 3cm extra you need.

Agree in all the rest: a very nice bike!

A 800/900 Teneré could be perfect. Yesterday I tried a KTM 990 and the suspensions and engine are perfect… something like this but with Yamaha reliability would be a bomb!!.
I don’t think the new GS and KTM 1190 could be much better than our ST… for my next one I would like something smaller. I’m getting old…
A GS800 Adventure version with good quality wheels, suspensions and more fuel capacity would be nice … but there are too many reliability problems….

jaumev screwed with this post 02-04-2013 at 07:24 AM
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:59 AM   #15875
japako
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Here is a nice one in Texas.. Never in the dirt.. OBO
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=849950
japako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:44 AM   #15876
clint64
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Picked up my new Super Tenere late Saturday. Just completed a 250 mile ride on Sunday. I can already tell I'm going to really enjoy this bike.

clint64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:32 PM   #15877
Bob Herr
Oilpatch Univ. Graduate

Oddometer: 266
Why so many for sale.?

Been interested in a S10. Did search in the flea mkt. and found 6 for sale plus 3 that have sold since 12/15/12. This seems like an awful lot of these bikes to be for sale after being owned for only a year or so. Anybody got thoughts on why so many people are getting rid of year old bikes ?

Much Too Young(To Feel This Damn Old)
Bob Herr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:36 PM   #15878
sallydog
no more Green KLR

Oddometer: 5,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Herr View Post
Been interested in a S10. Did search in the flea mkt. and found 6 for sale plus 3 that have sold since 12/15/12. This seems like an awful lot of these bikes to be for sale after being owned for only a year or so. Anybody got thoughts on why so many people are getting rid of year old bikes ?
is 6 a lot? How many bmw's for sale? 8 on the first page
Heaven's the place where all the dogs you've ever loved come to greet you
sallydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:45 PM   #15879
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by clint64 View Post
Picked up my new Super Tenere late Saturday. Just completed a 250 mile ride on Sunday. I can already tell I'm going to really enjoy this bike.

Because it as a real RTW bike.

Not a jacked up sports bike.
Not an MX bike.

etc, etc

SOme people get a bit confused about what it is and the rest are just pretty normal things that everyone goes through.

I don't think 6 is that much over the 2000 or so out there in the US.

But I am glad some people find it too much bike for them.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:48 PM   #15880
japako
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
It really is not that many, is it.. I am selling because of age and health and I know of at least two others that had the same reason. I now only ride on dirt and trailer the bike. The Tenere just got too heavy for me.

Others have sold because of financial situations.
And there are some that just have to have a new bike.. LOL

It does not make a difference if you buy a new or used bike. The Tenere is a really great bike and will take you were you want to go.
Never had a problem other than the recall fuel pump o-ring.
Oh, and the headlight wires heating up. Fixed that..

I think the hard start is the owner/operator problem and has nothing to do with the bike.

That''s about it, buy the bike and ride it.
japako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:50 PM   #15881
Ze_zaskar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by tremor38 View Post
...first years? How about the problems that have remained for decades like final drive and shaft failures from that single-sided swingarm design?

I think a would rather have a KTM because it's the lesser of 2 evils
I still prefer to have no evil at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaumev View Post
A 800/900 Teneré could be perfect. Yesterday I tried a KTM 990 and the suspensions and engine are perfect… something like this but with Yamaha reliability would be a bomb!!.
I don’t think the new GS and KTM 1190 could be much better than our ST… for my next one I would like something smaller. I’m getting old…
A GS800 Adventure version with good quality wheels, suspensions and more fuel capacity would be nice … but there are too many reliability problems….
Yes, a middleweight Tenere would be perfect. However on can't tell if Yamaha is even thinking about one right now. Japanese manufacturers are not as predictable as the European ones

Before jumping on the S10, I was decided on the F800GS for some months. Then I started to see all the reliability problems, like the shock mount, the warping tanks, the bad bearings, etc. And then I tried one and felt disppointed. It was not as balanced as I wanted, the forks are really bad (feel like something that came out from a mountain bike) and it felt overall somewhat fragile.

The F800GS is an anoying bike for me. This is because it could easly be the best bike on the market, but it's not only because of a number of dumb engineering options or even cheapness.
I would like to belive that the new 2013 F800GS corrected some of the quality issues or even the shock mount, but I doubt it
Ze_zaskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:15 PM   #15882
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallydog View Post
If someone would buy six of the BMWs then the six Teneres would be sold too.
pluric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:17 PM   #15883
Bob Herr
Oilpatch Univ. Graduate

Oddometer: 266
Quote:
I think your question should be: How many 2012 BMW R1200GS's for sale? You are comparing one type of bike with an entire brand. - Bob

Much Too Young(To Feel This Damn Old)
Bob Herr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:58 PM   #15884
sallydog
no more Green KLR

Oddometer: 5,484
Quote:
I think your question should be: How many 2012 BMW R1200GS's for sale? You are comparing one type of bike with an entire brand. - Bob
you are correct. R1200GS for sale in flea market/bikes 27 active for sale
Heaven's the place where all the dogs you've ever loved come to greet you
sallydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:03 PM   #15885
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,985
Quote:
you are correct. R1200GS for sale in flea market/bikes 27 active for sale
All of which are a year or two old?