Old 02-26-2010, 10:11 PM   #1576
jdpower
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee Dee Mmm
It is quoted in MCN as $13,500 british Pounds which comes to about $20,500usd
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne.../?R=EPI-122421
Even though the conversion rate says that, that doesn't seem to be the way the pricing works when it really gets to the USA. You can tell that by other bikes in UK that we have here.

JDP
jdpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:32 PM   #1577
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by raider

What really put me off is the price ($16,000 - twice the price of a DR650)

I hope Yamaha Oz look at the dismal sales of the small Tenere and adjust their pricing and attitude before the Super arrives - they're both bikes that deserve to do well.
+1

$11-$13 would have been a better price point,

However you still have a Suzuki Wee (different bias but a lot of bike) at $10,490.

I have noticed that all the new Jap "ADV Tourers" seem to have been introduced at a fairly high price.

What is happening in Europe on price comparisons?

Cheers
Graham
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:50 PM   #1578
DakarBlues
One-everythinged man

Oddometer: 1,283
XTZ 1200 without accessories

No doubt, it's really a SuperTenere

This lumpy exhaust by itself is worth easily 20 kgs (44 lbs.). Once replaced by a thiner an light one (carbon fiber...),
the XTZ 1200 will look almost wasp-waisted, I promise, well, at least its girth will decrease very markedly.

The original bashplate is string type, but the gear lever connecting rod is very exposed though.

Note: the catalyzer is located where the two header pipes meet, so it would be quite easy to replace the exhaust with something lighter while remaining
environment compliant.

Pedibus Cum Jambus 1200 S
IBA # 38875

DakarBlues screwed with this post 02-27-2010 at 12:20 PM
DakarBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:04 PM   #1579
Red Dust
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Nothing wrong with the BMW designer wear!
I had them for a long time on my DL650 plus my other bikes without any problems.
I was sick of cheap clothing that broke every year and will buy myself a second set of riding gear when my budget allows without hesitation.
Having said that the rain suit BMW has is like a very hot sauna if the temperature is above 30 Celsius.
Personally I think the new XTZ will be an excellent touring bike here in Australia and if it is priced well I could think myself buying it once I saved up money but the price needs to be quite a bit lower than the GSA with its magnificent 33 liter tank.
Meanwhile I`m very happy with my AUD$10K V-Strom.
Red Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:32 PM   #1580
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,247
Quote:

What really put me off is the price ($16,000 - twice the price of a DR650, 20% more than a Transalp, same price as an F658) and lack of ABS, even as an option.

I hope Yamaha Oz look at the dismal sales of the small Tenere and adjust their pricing and attitude before the Super arrives - they're both bikes that deserve to do well.
I just looked at the German price 7595.00 Euro = 11,557.00 AUD

I can see why they sell OS and not here if that is typical.

Going by that, I expect to see a $30,000 sales flop here!!

As TOYOTA AUS found out with Lexus. You have to build a better product at a lot lower price and let the reputation build before you can charge good money. It took LEXUS 10 years to get to price parity in this country, and it meant keeping the quality AND service way up over that period.

Cheers
Graham
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:13 AM   #1581
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,248
Quote:
(just like most Jeeps sell to posing Californians who won't either)

That's funny as California has more trails and offroading Jeeps than just about anywhere, people actually come from all around to offroad Jeeps in California. Oh and I hate you people with your 660 Tenere's!!

Old 02-27-2010, 02:20 AM   #1582
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthroamer
150 lbs !!!
Well go and visit your local gym first matey :-)

Yamaha is known for its honesty about that, and if you look at the site the LE 660 weight is quoted inclusive al LE gear, so possibly, the stated weight of the 1200 is inclusive all bells whistles and panniers.

but even if it was its dry weight...

Who complained at the weight of the R1150GS, it was even more, it weighed substantially *more* than the 1100.

P.S. and the punters saying it can't go really offroad because of its lardyness, first have a look at what a proffesional fully laden Dakar *competition* machine weighs, and than *think* again, about what you stated earlier (curb weight is about 210/235)

Riding tips: . -----www.LazyMotorbike.eu-----
R3B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 02:29 AM   #1583
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Quote:
What really put me off is the price ($16,000 - twice the price of a DR650, 20% more than a Transalp, same price as an F658)

In the end, these things conspired to make the bike less attractive to me than the more expensive F800.
Come again ???

The F800GS with its baseprice of 11.250€ ($$16,750 Aus$)costs a heck of a lot more than a XTZ which is for grabs at 7999€ (13.999 Aus$)so that looks to me as a somewhat silly dicision ...
(Aus$ by bikes.drive.com.au)

R3B screwed with this post 02-27-2010 at 04:33 AM
Old 02-27-2010, 03:32 AM   #1584
longhaul
n00b

Oddometer: 2
660 tenetre

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3B
Come again ???

The F800GS with its baseprice of 11.250€ costs a heck of a lot more than a XTZ which is for grabs at 7999€ so that looks to me as a somewhat silly dicision ...
I think that the OP was talking about the price of the yamaha tenere being too dear here in Australia
longhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 04:56 AM   #1585
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3B
Come again ???

The F800GS with its baseprice of 11.250€ ($$16,750 Aus$)costs a heck of a lot more than a XTZ which is for grabs at 7999€ (13.999 Aus$)so that looks to me as a somewhat silly dicision ...
(Aus$ by bikes.drive.com.au)
Your prices are wrong by a significant margin. You can't just convert currencies - each national importer makes their own decisions regarding pricing, based on a number of factors of which the daily exchange rate is only one. And then, each Australian state charges different taxes and fees, so it's hard to even compare prices between Queensland and Tasmania. I'm happy to discuss Australian pricing of motos with you further by PM.

For the rest of you, this was posted before, but it seems to have been lost in the maelstrom of the last few pages. Sayeth Yamaha Europe (via mcnews.com.au):

Wet weight with 23L of fuel: 261kg.

Full specs here.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:48 AM   #1586
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Wink

Quote:
Your prices are wrong by a significant margin. You can't just convert currencies
Where do you get the notion i did?

I specifically took the opportunity to get quotes from Aussi homeground, just to underpin this kind of bulloni...

As stated i quoted an Australian biksite (bikes.drive.com.au), and took even the precaution to select the non-ABS 800GS, the ABS version is 17.250 Aus$ making the choise argumentation even more un-understandable.

Just place them next to eachother en spot the difference, an XTZ will survive the harshest handling, having a fram which can even cope with a spill with panniers without bending its rearframe, you better don't try that with the beemer, it bends rearframes like al-dente spaghetti

Old 02-27-2010, 08:41 AM   #1587
dallastx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
I visited my Yamaha dealer today and although I'm not interested to buy a Super Tenere, the owner, Corné van Meel, invited me to come along to the official dealer presentation of the Super Tenere, March 22nd at YamahaNL headquarters in Schiphol. Ain't that cool or what!! For sure I said yes, don't let such an oppurtunity pass me by! Maybe we even can take the bike for a spin, that'll be fun!
Greetz, Hans, aka"Lucky Dog".

XT660Z Tenere '08 http://dallastx.smugmug.com

Visit www.xt660.com and www.hank3.com
dallastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:52 AM   #1588
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,536
Lucky man. I would love to kick a leg over this bike. I still love the looks. I reckon that one of the reasons i didn't click with the VFR 12 when i rode it is because the Ten, and bikes of it's ilk, are more "me" these days.
I never ride off road (well, not intentionally) but i see this class of bike as having more relevance than conventional sports / touring bikes.
More bottom end, better low - mid speed control, comfort and great visibility.
Roll on 2011 - might be able to get a test ride.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:45 AM   #1589
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,547
BTW, I just checked the specs on the '94 Super Tenere, a bike that some people wish the new one was more like;

750cc
70hp
240.0 kg (529.1 pounds) wet

That's a lot less power and only 21kg lighter than the 1200. If the 261kg quoted for the 1200 is including bags and stuff that are stock on this years model, that would make them roughly the same weight when you remove the extras.

Weight doesn't seem so bad when you look at it that way. I think we are still waiting for confirmation about whether the quoted weight includes all the "first edition" extras aren't we? Anybody know for sure?

BTW, Yamaha US finally acknowledged the existence of the Super Ten on Facebook - without actually saying anything about plans for US availability.
"Ténéré fans! Please know that there are many fans of the Super Ténéré here in the US office too and we certainly share your passion for this motorcycle."

That is all...
Old 02-27-2010, 12:12 PM   #1590
earthroamer
Stuck in Pindadesh

Oddometer: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul thompson
I never ride off road (well, not intentionally) but i see this class of bike as having more relevance than conventional sports / touring bikes.
More bottom end, better low - mid speed control, comfort and great visibility.
I think that's why so many riders are attracted to the GS. Also the rider that Ducati is targeting with the MS1200. A very valid criteria.
earthroamer is offline   Reply With Quote