Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 09:52 PM   #15901
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty bike View Post
Pluric is a god.

It sucks when your riding buddies will only go to the Starbucks.

Thankfully, I ride with older guys that don't like bad coffee. And my wife, that likes to go far.
I used to have a girl friend like that, then I married her.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:08 PM   #15902
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,964
So an old man walked into a bar and heard...

Quote:
..., that anyone that dares point out that any bike can suffer headshake in certain conditions is just in denial? That's pretty laughable, actually.

When I owned a Ninja 650, people would occasionally come onto one of the Ninja 650 forums complaining of headshake. Surely then, the Ninja 650 has a manufacturer defect that Kawasaki knew about and was covering up.

When I owned a KLR650, people would occasionally come onto one of the KLR650 forums complaining of headshake. Surely then, the KLR650 has a manufacturer defect that Kawasaki knew about and was covering up.

When I owned a Wee Strom, people would occasionally come onto one of the Wee Strom forums complaining of headshake. Surely then, the Wee Strom has a manufacturer defect that Suzuki knew about and was covering up.
Which got me thinking.

How many people have heard someone complain about head shake on the S10. I have never read it myself.

Apparently it is normal.

Never really had it except on a dodgy old warn out Anakee on the front of the Strom at about 30Km/h if you let go of the bars with both hands going downhill to maintain the speed for about 1 minute.

Never even close on the S10.

So do all you S10 guys shake shake shake down the road?

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:41 PM   #15903
ballheadknuckle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze_zaskar View Post
The F800GS is an anoying bike for me. This is because it could easly be the best bike on the market, but it's not only because of a number of dumb engineering options or even cheapness.
I would like to belive that the new 2013 F800GS corrected some of the quality issues or even the shock mount, but I doubt it
Maybe Husqvarna builds that now hat they have a new owner.
ballheadknuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:21 AM   #15904
Glenn C
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Head shake

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
So an old man walked into a bar and heard...

Which got me thinking.

How many people have heard someone complain about head shake on the S10. I have never read it myself.

Apparently it is normal.

Never really had it except on a dodgy old warn out Anakee on the front of the Strom at about 30Km/h if you let go of the bars with both hands going downhill to maintain the speed for about 1 minute.

Never even close on the S10.

Only time I've had head shake was in the deep-ish sand around Cameron Corner/Sturt National Park. Pluric would have LOVED it!

I've done enough trail bike riding in sand to know some of the techiques - eg reasonable speed (to keep you on top of the sand. Slow will guarantee a fall) and easy application of power (to keep the front wheel from sinking into the sand) etc. My only failing was that the track has serious corners...

As you can imagine, corners sometimes require you to slow down. Well if you want to follow the corner, that is. So I would get some head shake on the decel coming into a corner as the front wheel bogged down a little. Match this with blind corners due to scrub regrowth after 3 years of desert rains, corrugations INTO the corners and maniacks on KTMs coming the other way on the wrong side of the track and it makes for some attention-grabbing moments

What I noticed most was that the head shakes were not as rapid as I have experienced on lighter bikes (which is good) but heaftier (not so good and took some muscling on the bars from my svelt 75kg body in order to dampen). I could really notice the extra momentum of the heavier bike.

Once I got use to it though, I didn't find it too scary or unpredictable at all. I soon got comfortable with it although I still had to concentrate more than usual.

As with most concerns I initially had with this bike (coming from a dirt bike background) once I relax and let the bike do it's thing, it does it well. Deep-ish sand doesn't faze me now.

Cheers
Glenn

PS I can't for the life of me understand how guys can drop their S10s in sand in a STRAIGHT LINE. That just shows a lack of commitment
I guess everyone has their achilles heel. Mine's sandy corners...
Old 02-05-2013, 05:12 AM   #15905
DaFoole
Lewddite at large...

Oddometer: 3,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn C View Post

PS I can't for the life of me understand how guys can drop their S10s in sand in a STRAIGHT LINE.
It's a skill set....

Old 02-05-2013, 06:51 AM   #15906
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
When I switched out to K60s I got a good surprised. Just hitting triple digits the
front end was all over the place. It was rock steady with the stockers.

I'm on my second set of K60s and same thing. I know it's coming now.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:56 AM   #15907
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFoole View Post
It's a skill set....

If that's true, I've mastered the skill.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:38 PM   #15908
~TABASCO~
www.rideonadv.com

Oddometer: 372
Quote:

Nope... Im good to about 110.... It must be a pressure situation, how some people have vibes and head shake and others have no issue at all............. I have no issues...
Old 02-05-2013, 04:54 PM   #15909
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,961
I'm impressed with the high speed stability of the S10, hit 200 kph indicated and the S10 was rock solid. Felt much more planted than my TDM900 despite the TDM being the more road-oriented bike.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:28 PM   #15910
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
....that anyone that dares point out that any bike can suffer headshake in certain conditions is just in denial? That's pretty laughable, actually.
Ok judging by the avalanche of responses I would say that we are all in denial.

Just wondering whether I just had a weird bike. No hard starting unless I spend hours making it. No loose spokes, no head shakes....

I think I've been duped.. POS YAMAHA.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
Old 02-05-2013, 06:44 PM   #15911
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,394
Quote:
Ok judging by the avalanche of responses I would say that we are all in denial.

Just wondering whether I just had a weird bike. No hard starting unless I spend hours making it. No loose spokes, no head shakes....

I think I've been duped.. POS YAMAHA.
Damn, you need to dump that POS, I'll give ya a couple hundred
bucks out of the kindness of my heart.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:06 PM   #15912
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker View Post
Damn, you need to dump that POS, I'll give ya a couple hundred
bucks out of the kindness of my heart.
Does that include carting it away and finding me a proper bike with head shakes?

Or something? I mean all I do is ride the thing and put petrol in it.

All I have to talk about is which colour is faster and I'm a bit sus about that one too.

GrahamD screwed with this post 02-05-2013 at 07:18 PM
Old 02-05-2013, 07:22 PM   #15913
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,394
Quote:
Does that include carting it away and finding me a proper bike with head shakes?

Or something? I mean all I do is ride the thing and put petrol in it.

All I have to talk about is which colour is faster and I'm a bit sus about that one too.
You drive a hard bargain, I guess I could leave my blazing fast KLR there, I'll modify it so the head will shake.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:40 PM   #15914
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
You drive a hard bargain, I guess I could leave my blazing fast KLR there, I'll modify it so the head will shake.
Tempting

Does it come come with colour coded milk crate?

It's not black is it?

Old 02-05-2013, 08:24 PM   #15915
japako
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Quote:

Hey, I thought we had a deal!! Now your trying to deal off that great dual sport to someone else
japako is offline   Reply With Quote