Old 02-06-2013, 05:09 PM   #15931
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,246
Thought I would share

BMW QA is still "world class"

Recall notice.

Quote:
According to Transport Canada, transmission oil pressure on certain BMW R1200GS units may get too high, resulting in a leak in the output shaft sealing ring. An oil leak directly in front of the rear tire could result in a loss of traction and stability, potentially leading to a crash.
The 2013 BMW R1200GS is almost entirely new, including the transmission which is fully integrated into the engine casing, so there’s no worry about this issue affecting previous model years.
BMW dealers will install an oil restrictor to reduce the oil pressure at the transmission output. The Transport Canada recall affects 31 units of the 2013 BMW R1200GS.
We will have more information if and when NHTSA posts a similar recall for the U.S.
Pity, it was looking good there for about a week.

They seem to have moved the problems further up the drive shaft.

I'll pop over in six months and see how the best bike in the world is going.

Even without the "problems" the thing is being pushed in the "jacked up street bike" direction anyway.

Getting crowded up that end.

Seems to be a bit of confusion about whether this is the new 2013 or the old 2013.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 02-06-2013 at 05:41 PM
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:06 PM   #15932
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 951
There are only 31 2013 GS's in Canada?
Old 02-06-2013, 06:13 PM   #15933
pluric
Banned

Oddometer: 16,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Thought I would share

BMW QA is still "world class"

Recall notice.

Pity, it was looking good there for about a week.

They seem to have moved the problems further up the drive shaft.

I'll pop over in six months and see how the best bike in the world is going.

Even without the "problems" the thing is being pushed in the "jacked up street bike" direction anyway.

Getting crowded up that end.

Seems to be a bit of confusion about whether this is the new 2013 or the old 2013.
James Bond's car did the same thing. Maybe it will be in the next Bond movie dumping oil
to get rid of those pesky Multistradas.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:52 PM   #15934
Dirty bike
Eval Innovations Inc

Oddometer: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
There are only 31 2013 GS's in Canada?
They cost $40k in Canadian dollars! Or maybe they just have better taste?
Dirty bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:55 PM   #15935
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,838
the new GS in Canada starts at $18600, plus the various option packages.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #15936
Gundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Herr View Post
Been interested in a S10. Did search in the flea mkt. and found 6 for sale plus 3 that have sold since 12/15/12. This seems like an awful lot of these bikes to be for sale after being owned for only a year or so. Anybody got thoughts on why so many people are getting rid of year old bikes ?

I am one of the offending parties in the Flea Market. Aside from having some other life priorities like a home purchase, I have what some would call "a problem" with always wanting to try different bikes (6 in the last 4 years). I can't really fault the bike for anything within the realm of its intended purpose. If I was retired and could plan trips to Alaska or wherever, it would be my first choice, hands down. As it turns out though, it looks like the future of my riding will be commuting 11 suburban miles to work and maybe half a dozen weekends a year of woods riding......not stuff I need a shiny new continental adv tourer in the garage for. I will say I like to have bike projects and the S10 has really sucked for that. I have more free time to mess around in the garage than actually ride. My KLR provided endless garage hours doing things that would "improve" it.

'12 Tenere, '04 Tiger, '09 WRR, '06 DRZ, '06 TW, '01 250 EXC, '09 KLR
Gundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:24 PM   #15937
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,836
Cool2 Well, sort of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
the new GS in Canada starts at $18600, plus the various option packages.

Well, not exactly...

According to http://www.bmw-motorrad.ca/ the MSRP in Canada for the 2013 BMW R1200G/S is $18,750.00, and if you option one out to most closely match the standard equipment of the current Super Tenere (spoke wheels, ABS, Automatic Stability Control - which is BMW's TCS, onboard trip computer, hand guards, etc.) then you end tacking on an additional $2,820.00 Canadian, bringing the total to $21,570.00 Canadian. Then if you continue through the web bike "configuration" menu to complete the "build your own" fun you find the BMW factory tacks on an additional $750.00 Canadian for "Freight & P.D.I."...

That brings the total of a Yamaha Super Tenere equivalent to $22,320.00 Canadian.

OTOH, according to http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/index.php?group=M Yamaha Canada web site, the MSRP of a 2013 Yamaha Super Tenere is $16,499.00 Canadian (http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/...oup=M|&LANG=en)...

That means there is at a minimum a difference of $5,071.00 Canadian dollars between the two if you don't add in BMW's "Freight & P.D.I.". That's a whopping 24% more. If that :"Freight & P.D.I." is included then the difference swells to a $5,821.00, or 26% more...

Just trying to keep the record straight.

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists office. - Unknown

'Cos it's easier to try than to prove it can't be done, and it's easier to stay than to turn around and run. - Justin Hayward
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:28 PM   #15938
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundy View Post
As it turns out though, it looks like the future of my riding will be commuting 11 suburban miles to work and maybe half a dozen weekends a year of woods riding.......
Well I solved that by installing a plank full of nails on the bike where the seat used to be, so I pack the tent and camp on the side of the road after 5 miles. My butt feels like I've riding for 500Km at that stage. Might take me a long time to get to work but it feels like an Adventure.

Nope only kidding.

I see your point. You need an interstate job in that case.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
Old 02-06-2013, 07:30 PM   #15939
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
Well, not exactly...

According to http://www.bmw-motorrad.ca/ the MSRP in Canada for the 2013 BMW R1200G/S is $18,750.00, and if you option one out to most closely match the standard equipment of the current Super Tenere (spoke wheels, ABS, Automatic Stability Control - which is BMW's TCS, onboard trip computer, hand guards, etc.) then you end tacking on an additional $2,820.00 Canadian, bringing the total to $21,570.00 Canadian. Then if you continue through the web bike "configuration" menu to complete the "build your own" fun you find the BMW factory tacks on an additional $750.00 Canadian for "Freight & P.D.I."...

That brings the total of a Yamaha Super Tenere equivalent to $22,320.00 Canadian.

OTOH, according to http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/index.php?group=M Yamaha Canada web site, the MSRP of a 2013 Yamaha Super Tenere is $16,499.00 Canadian (http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/...oup=M|&LANG=en)...

That means there is at a minimum a difference of $5,071.00 Canadian dollars between the two if you don't add in BMW's "Freight & P.D.I.". That's a whopping 24% more. If that :"Freight & P.D.I." is included then the difference swells to a $5,821.00, or 26% more...

Just trying to keep the record straight.

Dallara

~
Dallara are you retired?

All I ever have time for is smart ass comments.

Anyway the last time I looked which funnily enough was when I was getting serious about a new bike, In Oz the apples to apples price Difference was 26/20 = 23% down or 30% up.

For an extra 30% I get worms in my apple as well.

GrahamD screwed with this post 02-06-2013 at 07:42 PM
Old 02-06-2013, 08:19 PM   #15940
Dirty bike
Eval Innovations Inc

Oddometer: 808
Quote:
All I ever have time for is smart ass comments.
Well, that does explain some things...
Dirty bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:23 PM   #15941
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,843
Quote:
As someone pointed out it's hard to imagine being the new one as the transmission in the new one is integrated and doesn't have it's own oil pressure. So that person said it can't be the new one. I'm not technically savvy enough to verify that though.

So, don't get over-excited with "Schadenfreude" just yet ...
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:31 PM   #15942
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
As someone pointed out it's hard to imagine being the new one as the transmission in the new one is integrated and doesn't have it's own oil pressure. So that person said it can't be the new one. I'm not technically savvy enough to verify that though.

Not getting excited. Stuff like this just seems to keep popping up. Like I said I'll pop back in a few months to see what the latest is. I'm in no hurry.

They need to have a big look at what the QA department is doing I think. The designs are good, or over the top, depending on the point of view, but it is fun to see just what will happen next...

It's like a watching Breaking BAD..

BMW - The Walter White of motorcycle manufactures.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:32 PM   #15943
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,836
Cool2 I dunno'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post

Folks might want to read the quote again, carefully...

Quote:
"According to Transport Canada, transmission oil pressure on certain BMW R1200GS units may get too high, resulting in a leak in the output shaft sealing ring. An oil leak directly in front of the rear tire could result in a loss of traction and stability, potentially leading to a crash.
The 2013 BMW R1200GS is almost entirely new, including the transmission which is fully integrated into the engine casing, so there’s no worry about this issue affecting previous model years.
BMW dealers will install an oil restrictor to reduce the oil pressure at the transmission output. The Transport Canada recall affects 31 units of the 2013 BMW R1200GS.
We will have more information if and when NHTSA posts a similar recall for the U.S."

Looks to me like their saying that this issue does *NOT* affect *PREVIOUS* model years, meaning those prior to this new 2013 model... And further that it clearly that this recall affects those 31 of the new 2013 BMW R1200G/S...

And just because the transmission is now contained inside the same engine cases as the rest of the engine does not necessarily mean that the engine section and transmission section operate at the same pressures, especially if BMW is trying to seriously scavenge the rod-journal area of the crankcase section for maximum efficiency and minimal pumping loses like engine designers do these days.

Just FYI.

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists office. - Unknown

'Cos it's easier to try than to prove it can't be done, and it's easier to stay than to turn around and run. - Justin Hayward

Dallara screwed with this post 02-06-2013 at 08:40 PM
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:43 PM   #15944
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
Folks might want to read the quote again, carefully...
I think it depends on what Canada calls a 2013 GS. But MCN has a picture of the new one..

Maybe the robots didn't get enough training.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:00 PM   #15945
pluric
Banned

Oddometer: 16,362
Makes you kinda wish something would break on a Tenere so we wouldn't
have to sniff around other brands for discussion.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote