Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 11:23 AM   #16126
Super Tenere
Voyager

Oddometer: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballheadknuckle View Post
Here is my modified taillight with the license plate light integrated :)
Can you show a picture of this on your bike.
Super Tenere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:42 AM   #16127
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Tenere View Post

+1

That looks like it turned-out really nice.

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:41 PM   #16128
ballheadknuckle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Tenere View Post
Sure, i will make some pics when everything is put together.

Does somebody know where the connectors are for the front turn lights? I can not find that in the maintenace manual, i only found the cable routing but not where the connectors are located.
ballheadknuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:10 PM   #16129
Dirty bike
EVal Innovations Inc

Oddometer: 752
Quote:
Sure, i will make some pics when everything is put together.

Does somebody know where the connectors are for the front turn lights? I can not find that in the maintenace manual, i only found the cable routing but not where the connectors are located.
Right side of the bike, under the upper panel, inside the black plastic boot that is open to the front of the bike. There are three connectors inside the boot, pull it back to expose them better.

Green wire is right signal, Brown wire is left signal, Brown w/white trace is from the Flasher.
Dirty bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:11 PM   #16130
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,575
Simple question, I've tried a search (honest Dallara!) but how is the SuperT when lugged?
My KLR bucks and lurches if lugged below 2200, the Scrambler I had did the same. Now my old 78 r100 will chug away in any gear down below 2000rpm and my VTX1800 is great that way also.

So, around town, pulling low speed maneuvers out of corners etc..., does the ST pull cleanly from about 2000, or do you need to keep the rpm's up to prevent bucking, lurching and shuddering?
Thx.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:40 PM   #16131
Dirty bike
EVal Innovations Inc

Oddometer: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideAbout View Post
Simple question, I've tried a search (honest Dallara!) but how is the SuperT when lugged?
My KLR bucks and lurches if lugged below 2200, the Scrambler I had did the same. Now my old 78 r100 will chug away in any gear down below 2000rpm and my VTX1800 is great that way also.

So, around town, pulling low speed maneuvers out of corners etc..., does the ST pull cleanly from about 2000, or do you need to keep the rpm's up to prevent bucking, lurching and shuddering?
Thx.
It's better than the KLR. The S10 has a lot of low end torque. 2000 rpms is still pretty low for what you describe though. You can ease it up from there easily, but if you try and give it a bunch of throttle it will probably ping and not be happy. Like the FJR, it will pull cleanly if you simply roll on throttle and not give you much in the way of negative traits. Still, I typically don't run it down that low as the parallel twin is not as forgiving as the inline 4 is. 2400 putting thru a sleepy town where I want to be quiet, no problem, just roll on throttle and ride away as you exit town. Much below that and it will let you know it's not happy if you want any significant power, but not as dramatic as the KLR's bucking, lurching, just some hesitation and stumble.
Dirty bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:59 PM   #16132
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 951
Quote:
That is funny. He has us all trained, don't he?

So where is he? It's been a few days.

As for lugging, I can ride this bike from down around 1500 rpm's up, if I stay smooth. I think I have this thing figured out. We have bonded. She will let me stand and lug in the technical stuff. And she is just as ready to lift the front end and let me wind her over 7K.

Went to a demo day yesterday and returned again today with my wife. First time I ever remember that not being a dangerous thing to do. Nothing even came close to distracting me. My wife said "you really are content with this bike, aren't you?"

I am.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:08 PM   #16133
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,430
The Dallaralama!
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:12 PM   #16134
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker View Post
The Dallaralama!

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:19 PM   #16135
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
As for lugging, I can ride this bike from down around 1500 rpm's up, if I stay smooth.
Agree, this bike makes me lazy. I often just stay in one gear for 100's of Km. sixth will get me 50Km through urban villages assuming no traffic lights, and up to "loose the license".

Every now and again someone puts a traffic light somewhere and I suddenly have to remember where the gearbox lever is.

On the other hand in the twisties it's great using that gearbox and a big torque spread. The gearbox is sweet as well.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:42 PM   #16136
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,463
Quote:
Here is my modified taillight with the license plate light integrated :)
That looks nice!!
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:00 AM   #16137
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,306
Quote:
Thx.
I'd give you a three-part answer:

Resistance to stalling doing technical dirt: Simply outstanding. I've worked the S10 up some pretty steep hills dodging obstacles and it is simply amazing how low an RPM you can use and still have the engine pull you out of trouble. Never owned a bike that was so resistant to stalling. Truly a confidence builder when you know that you don't have to try and modulate throttle/clutch while you're trying to steer and balance your way around ruts and obstacles.

Slow-speed/low-load trolling (e.g., you're behind a car going 10 mph): Not bad for a twin, but not great either. The engine runs Okay, but there is a threshold speed/load where it will tend to surge and won't hold completely steady throttle when the load is light. Combined with the driveline lash, it is difficult to ride smoothy. This would not be a great bike for parade duty.

Lugging out of corners: About average for a twin. It pulls Okay from about 2500, but doesn't seem particularly happy to - you definitely get the feel that this engine wants about 3500 on the tach before it is happy to take a lot of throttle. 4-6K is the sweet spot for this motor.

Hope this helps.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:52 AM   #16138
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,781
Lugging!

The S10 is the King of Grunt of all the big Adventure Bikes. I've owned most of them over the years and nothings pulls a higher gear at the lowest RPM than the Yamaha. Its a brute with the Clutch Switch Mod. A KLR is not to be mentioned in the same sentence as an S10. Apples and raisins.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:33 PM   #16139
MikeBear
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
I need some advice here.
I just ordered k60 rear for the trip to Colorado in June. My question is about which front tire to get. I read some reports about bad vibrations coming from front on k60. Will getting different front fix this problem? How bad is it on k60 fronts. Thanks.
MikeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:40 PM   #16140
simmons1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
I need some advice here.
I just ordered k60 rear for the trip to Colorado in June. My question is about which front tire to get. I read some reports about bad vibrations coming from front on k60. Will getting different front fix this problem? How bad is it on k60 fronts. Thanks.
My one suggestion is that you always want a front tire that has more traction than the rear or you are asking for trouble.