ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2013, 03:21 PM   #16291
fredz43
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Huge improvement imo. Pluric mentioned that even with the ECU flash the CSM still improves the bottom end response. Not sure why as the flash is supposed to remove all restrictions but he's got both so...
After having AF1 Racing do my ECU Unlimited flash, I tried the CSM mod to see if I could tell if it added anything. I would stop and insert the fuse and then later stop and remove it and at times, I thought that, yeah, I think I feel a bit of difference with it, at other times, not. I then installed a handlebar switch so that I could easily make the transition while riding, at a stop, etc. Once I did that I saw that I could tell not one bit of difference with the switch on and off. I installed a fuse on a friends stock S10 and he was amazed at the difference it made in his stock bike. We then rode mine with the flash only and agreed that it had better throttle response, even right off the bottom. So, I have concluded that at least on my bike with the ECU Unlimited flash and only an Akra can as far as mods, the flash is better at all RPM's and the CSM adds nothing.

fredz43 screwed with this post 02-28-2013 at 03:37 PM
fredz43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:28 PM   #16292
Dirty bike
Eval Innovations Inc

Oddometer: 836
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaumev View Post
The plate is finished at last!!
Now I can change the oil and filter without remove the plate
Can't really tell what you did Jaumev, just cut an access hole in the front of the skid plate? Or something more?
Dirty bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:43 PM   #16293
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty bike View Post
Can't really tell what you did Jaumev, just cut an access hole in the front of the skid plate? Or something more?
The original plate had a space to fit the oil filter but it was melded. It was quite big and the 21" front wheel touches it.

My dealer found a smaller filter that it works in the ST so the cover it could be smaller as well.

This is the new cover. I can take it off to remove the oil filter.

I made bigger holes to take the oil off.

I also cut the supports that can cause a hole in the sump if there is a big impact in the skid plate

[/quote]

jaumev screwed with this post 02-28-2013 at 03:54 PM
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:00 PM   #16294
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredz43 View Post
You have it backwards. When the clutch lever is out the circuit is open. It closes when the lever is pulled.
Not on my bike. Unplug the connector, jam an ohm meter across the two leads on the clutch switch itself and I read an open with the clutch pulled in and a 0 ohm short with the clutch out.... Hence my confusion on why it works.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:01 PM   #16295
Vbird
In Room 237

Oddometer: 784
Sent the dealer a deposit on a white '13 today and it will be here in a few weeks.

I only have one question about possible accessories but I'm afraid it's going to sound like starting an oil thread.

Using the bike the same as the Strom. Touring, backroad twisties, forest roads and maybe a little double track gravel. At 5'9/ 150 I'm not going to take 600 lbs off road, river crossings or jeep trails.

I've seen many opinions on skid plates, but what about not running one at all? Never had one on the Strom and never felt that one was needed even after taking it into some places where I would normally take the mountain bike.

For those not running a plate, what touches down first?
Vbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:28 PM   #16296
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredz43 View Post
You have it backwards. When the clutch lever is out the circuit is open. It closes when the lever is pulled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideAbout View Post
Not on my bike. Unplug the connector, jam an ohm meter across the two leads on the clutch switch itself and I read an open with the clutch pulled in and a 0 ohm short with the clutch out....
I appologize for any confusion, my bad. It seems there are 3 connectors in the clutch switch, I was inadventently metering the the middle one and one of the outer ones.... the Tenere only uses the outer ones that are indeed "Closed" when clutch in, and "Open" when clutch out.... sorry.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:43 PM   #16297
RightCross101
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
How fast is the tenere? I am on the fence between a tenere and a multistrada. I do very light offroad and mostly touring. I have a suzuki Bking right now and I have had a zx12. I also have had a lot of dirtbikes.

I am interested in the tenere but Im afraid it might be sluggish.
RightCross101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:06 PM   #16298
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightCross101 View Post
How fast is the tenere? I am on the fence between a tenere and a multistrada. I do very light offroad and mostly touring. I have a suzuki Bking right now and I have had a zx12. I also have had a lot of dirtbikes.

I am interested in the tenere but Im afraid it might be sluggish.
I'm afraid you're right.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:10 PM   #16299
RightCross101
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
I'm afraid you're right.
The other option would be the new triumph 1200 which by all accounts is very quick. Thanks for your feedback.
RightCross101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:24 PM   #16300
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vbird View Post
Never had one on the Strom and never felt that one was needed even after taking it into some places where I would normally take the mountain bike.
The protection without, and likely damage if the worst happens, is similar, so if you were comfortable on the Strom without, I'd say you'd be just as comfortable on the S10.

You might consider one of the light-duty ones. I have a Motech and I don't plan on bashing about hard-core either, but it is nice to know it is there for the occasional small hits and to protect against the errant rock.

- Mark

markjenn screwed with this post 02-28-2013 at 10:30 PM
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:47 PM   #16301
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightCross101 View Post
The other option would be the new triumph 1200 which by all accounts is very quick. Thanks for your feedback.
It's no secret the Tenere is at the bottom end in performance of the big D/S bikes.
Not what they are about. If you need the speed rush then the Multistrada is the obvious choice.
On paper the new BMW water jacket sounds impresive too.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:09 PM   #16302
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

I'm so flattered. The local news did a special article on me.....

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=242...&s_cid=queue-6
Old 03-01-2013, 12:00 AM   #16303
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vbird View Post

Using the bike the same as the Strom. Touring, backroad twisties, forest roads and maybe a little double track gravel. At 5'9/ 150 I'm not going to take 600 lbs off road, river crossings or jeep trails.
Yeah they all say that in the beginning.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:21 AM   #16304
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Yeah they all say that in the beginning.
Yeah... hope he realize this is not a street bike before needed to replace the sump…
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:27 AM   #16305
Flydream
King of the Atlantic

Oddometer: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
I'm so flattered. The local news did a special article on me.....

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=242...&s_cid=queue-6
"A lot of them don't realize their reflexes are getting slower," said Dan Terry, a motorcycle educator at SLCC. They may not notice their eyesight getting poorer, or that their skills have gotten rusty after years off the bike. When they get behind those handlebars again, all sorts of bad things can happen. For people over 50, the risk of injury is 247 percent higher.

247 % F#*k , I already notice about my eyesight
Slow down guys
Flydream is offline   Reply With Quote