ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2013, 02:43 AM   #16306
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flydream View Post
Slow down guys
I don't ride enough to be an expert and just assume I'm a noob after a break. I don't realize how ruisty I am until I have ridden a few days straight and get the sea legs back.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:25 AM   #16307
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
I'm so flattered. The local news did a special article on me.....

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=242...&s_cid=queue-6

At my age I'm injured before I even throw a leg over the damn thing.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:09 AM   #16308
MikeBear
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vbird View Post
Sent the dealer a deposit on a white '13 today and it will be here in a few weeks.

I only have one question about possible accessories but I'm afraid it's going to sound like starting an oil thread.

Using the bike the same as the Strom. Touring, backroad twisties, forest roads and maybe a little double track gravel. At 5'9/ 150 I'm not going to take 600 lbs off road, river crossings or jeep trails.

I've seen many opinions on skid plates, but what about not running one at all? Never had one on the Strom and never felt that one was needed even after taking it into some places where I would normally take the mountain bike.

For those not running a plate, what touches down first?
Hi. I was asking myself same question for almost a year of which plate would do better if, lets say, I get stuck hanging midway crossing a log or downed tree or a rock. Hate to tell you, but NONE of the plates will guarantee, that you will not damage engine. Maybe Rumbux, but if there is any imperfection on that rock, even Rumbux will not save the day. There is nothing out there, that will hold a weight of the bike, rider and gear.
If you need something to protect from stones, then anything will do.
MikeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:40 AM   #16309
jasonc32amg
Hello Gubner

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightCross101 View Post
How fast is the tenere? I am on the fence between a tenere and a multistrada. I do very light offroad and mostly touring. I have a suzuki Bking right now and I have had a zx12. I also have had a lot of dirtbikes.

I am interested in the tenere but Im afraid it might be sluggish.
I just swapped out a zx14 for a tenere and I didn't feel hobbled on the way home if you need to lose your license or receive a state sponsored room for a few nights the tenere will oblige. My way home from the dealer involved about 50 miles on the turnpike and even being a little gentle breaking the bike in I had no issues passing traffic and feeling 100% comfortable and entertained.

I would not describe the tenere as sluggish at all, it's not a klr (not that there's anything wrong with that)

As was said elsewhere is you want the super bike rush then the multistrada is your bike. Test ride a tenere before you dismiss it though.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:54 AM   #16310
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,310
Yeah, the Tenere is the better tourer, more wind protection. Multi12 is a nice ride, but more towards the sporty stiffer suspension.

I could go with either one most days, but the Tenere is best at covering miles in comfort and lugging a bunch of junk along for the trip.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:41 AM   #16311
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightCross101 View Post
The other option would be the new triumph 1200 which by all accounts is very quick. Thanks for your feedback.
The Tenere is not a disappointment in the power department unless you are looking for a sport bike. Lots of torque, handles great, very easy to maintain high speeds on twisty roads. If you search you'll find a recent road test review of a '13 Multi by a Tenere owner. He was not sorry to hand the Duc's keys back to the dealer.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:48 AM   #16312
Vbird
In Room 237

Oddometer: 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
The protection without, and likely damage if the worst happens, is similar, so if you were comfortable on the Strom without, I'd say you'd be just as comfortable on the S10.

You might consider one of the light-duty ones. I have a Motech and I don't plan on bashing about hard-core either, but it is nice to know it is there for the occasional small hits and to protect against the errant rock.

- Mark
Thanks, I'll look into it. More concerned about rocks thrown up from the front tire than bashing over boulders.
Vbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:54 AM   #16313
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,395
Quote:
Thanks, I'll look into it. More concerned about rocks thrown up from the front tire than bashing over boulders.
The oem plate works fine for that sort of use. And you can change the oil and filter without removing it.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:34 AM   #16314
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 972
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker View Post
At my age I'm injured before I even throw a leg over the damn thing.
You can still THROW a leg over? :(
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:40 AM   #16315
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,921
Quote:
Sent the dealer a deposit on a white '13 today and it will be here in a few weeks.

I only have one question about possible accessories but I'm afraid it's going to sound like starting an oil thread.

Using the bike the same as the Strom. Touring, backroad twisties, forest roads and maybe a little double track gravel. At 5'9/ 150 I'm not going to take 600 lbs off road, river crossings or jeep trails.

I've seen many opinions on skid plates, but what about not running one at all? Never had one on the Strom and never felt that one was needed even after taking it into some places where I would normally take the mountain bike.

Murphy's Law would say the most expensive part possible.

I think most owners base their intended use on what their past bike would do.
After having the bike beg to be beaten original intended use goes out the window.
I don't mean to sound like your mother but, "Use protection Vbird".

As a past Strom owner I never put an after market plate on it.
This is the Yamaha OEM after a couple rides.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:10 AM   #16316
RedRocker
Native Texican

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
You can still THROW a leg over? :(
It's not pretty.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
Old 03-01-2013, 11:55 AM   #16317
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,921
Anyone know where Dallara went? I thought he was planning a ride.
He's been MIA for a while now. Just wondering.

One of you Texas boys go knock on his door and make sure all is well.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:28 PM   #16318
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 972
Yea, where is he?

Normally I drive by his part of Texas 2 or 3 times a month. (He's about 3 hours away)
But since college football season is dormant, and my college kids don't really miss me that much, I haven't made the trek for about a month.

Hope he's ok. He's too honoree to just ignore us.
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:39 PM   #16319
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,700
Quote:

I only have one question a

I've seen many opinions on skid plates, but what about not running one at all? Never had one on the Strom

The 'Strom has the exhaust pipe and the little plastic piece beneath the engine, so the two bikes are not the same. The 'Strom will slide on the pipe if you don't partially crush it.

The Tenere is very different. This shot from member Jaumev shows it from the front, AFTER he cut off a couple of lugs:

Nothing to keep a curb or the edge of a large pothole from catching any of the rough edges and breaking the sump open. Unfortunately, some other members have had the experience and the stock plate from Yam has been found ineffective as discussed a number of times, like here:
http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?topic=2249.0

As previously mentioned, there are aftermarket skid plates that will do the job and prices start around $200. That's pretty cheap insurance, especially since this bike will suck you onto dirt and gravel roads. You can't resist!
Old 03-01-2013, 12:48 PM   #16320
RedRocker
Native Texican

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Anyone know where Dallara went? I thought he was planning a ride.
He's been MIA for a while now. Just wondering.

One of you Texas boys go knock on his door and make sure all is well.
Isn't he down South?