Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 12:00 PM   #16306
TH
There and Here

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Traveler View Post
Would you mind giving me a link for the one You have???
I just went to autozone and bought a fuse block. I velcro'd it by where the tools are located (right side cover).

However, there are multiple other options available. Do a search of this thread you and you will see some good setups. Likewise, you can also go to www.yamahasupertenere.com where you could also search for solutions.

Pluric has a nice setup that fits in the cavity under the seat. Mine was just a bit to long to fit in there, so that is why mine is under the right side cover. Pluric has some photo's of his setup on this thread.

Eastern Beaver is also a popular choice for many folks here too. http://www.easternbeaver.com/

A good place for outlining the wiring, using a distribution block and relay can be found at Canyon Chasers (This is what I used as a template for my wiring setup). http://canyonchasers.net/shop/generic/relay.php
NOVA Tag-o-Rama Map
TH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:09 PM   #16307
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,887
Here is the link to what I did under the seat for a power souce. Post 9591 on.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...45850&page=640
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:59 PM   #16308
Space Traveler
explorer

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Here is the link to what I did under the seat for a power souce. Post 9591 on.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...45850&page=640
Thanks
Space Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:37 PM   #16309
FMFDOC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
ANY WAY YOU CAN! http://youtu.be/Gg_G-NeSmW0
FMFDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:40 PM   #16310
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,535
New owner, stupid question....well, usually if I'm talking I'm saying something stupid!

Clutch Mod Short.... why does it work? When the clutch is out (normal riding mode) that circuit is already shorted. When the clutch is pulled in, it's open.

Does the ECU somehow sense that the circuit was open (taking off, shifting, etc...) and limit power until you reach 4th gear? I'm not questioning the mod....just cornfuzed why it makes a difference.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:35 PM   #16311
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideAbout View Post
Clutch Mod Short.... why does it work?
No one has the full answer. For some reason, Yamaha screws with the engine tuning depending on clutch position. As you probably know, Yamaha uses an electronic throttle on the S10 which means twistgrip position is translated electronically to throttle plate movement by a computer which takes into account many things and apparently the position of the clutch is included. Other bikes do this also so this is not unusual in modern EFI systems.

My personal theory is that Yamaha removes some of the throttle damping and delay inherent in the electronic system to make shifting crisper and let the engine rev more quickly and freely with the clutch pulled. And that's probably all the mod does - you can think of it as a jumpier "super sport" throttle mode that is addition to the sport and tour modes. Others think ignition and fuel mixture may be involved.

Getting the bike past emissions might have also have been a consideration.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:09 PM   #16312
fredz43
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideAbout View Post
New owner, stupid question....well, usually if I'm talking I'm saying something stupid!

Clutch Mod Short.... why does it work? When the clutch is out (normal riding mode) that circuit is already shorted. When the clutch is pulled in, it's open.

Does the ECU somehow sense that the circuit was open (taking off, shifting, etc...) and limit power until you reach 4th gear? I'm not questioning the mod....just cornfuzed why it makes a difference.

You have it backwards. When the clutch lever is out the circuit is open. It closes when the lever is pulled. Shorting the switch simulates the lever being pulled in. As to what the ECU does when it thinks the clutch lever is pulled in, we don't know for sure, but shorting the switch does seem to improve the bottom end throttle response with bikes that have not had the ECU reflashed.
fredz43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:39 PM   #16313
towboatcrisco
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Well ended up with a Nelson-Rigg ( falcon defender XXL ) for the money 58$ i dont think i can go wrong .
Oh and as for using sheets haha call me crazy but i always drape thick towels over the windscreen,tank, seat , and any other sensitive area's .. ???? ive just always done that

Quirks " eh "

i really like what pluric did with his fuse box under the seat .. i may have to poke around a tad more on the thread and do some more research . I have stock heated grips put on by the dealer so i did'nt have to fuss ... but for futures , I like
towboatcrisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:12 PM   #16314
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredz43 View Post
As to what the ECU does when it thinks the clutch lever is pulled in, we don't know for sure, but shorting the switch does seem to improve the bottom end throttle response with bikes that have not had the ECU reflashed.
Huge improvement imo. Pluric mentioned that even with the ECU flash the CSM still improves the bottom end response. Not sure why as the flash is supposed to remove all restrictions but he's got both so...
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:53 AM   #16315
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Huge improvement imo. Pluric mentioned that even with the ECU flash the CSM still improves the bottom end response. Not sure why as the flash is supposed to remove all restrictions but he's got both so...
Important to note that not all ECU flashes were created equal. Pluric's was done at AF1 racing. They use the ECU Unleased flash which has pretty smooth response off the very bottom end. By comparison, my Diapason flash is fairly abrupt off the bottom end, though I wish it were smoother at times.

Have you sent your ECU to Off The Road yet, or did you decide against that?
Old 02-28-2013, 03:13 AM   #16316
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by tremor38 View Post
Important to note that not all ECU flashes were created equal. Pluric's was done at AF1 racing. They use the ECU Unleased flash which has pretty smooth response off the very bottom end. By comparison, my Diapason flash is fairly abrupt off the bottom end, though I wish it were smoother at times.

Have you sent your ECU to Off The Road yet, or did you decide against that?
The bike's running great with the CSM so it's slipped down the farkle list behind panniers, driving lights, a Sargent seat, tank bag... I would love to ride yours back to back with mine sometime so I can see what I'm missing.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:22 AM   #16317
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 951
Quote:
The bike's running great with the CSM so it's slipped down the farkle list behind panniers, driving lights, a Sargent seat, tank bag... I would love to ride yours back to back with mine sometime so I can see what I'm missing.
I'm like you. The CSM reshuffled the deck. Priorities got re-arranged.
Ohlins is the one sucking me dry currently.

But I was WARNED not to drive a well sorted-fueled Tenere or I would change my mind about how well my CSM engine runs.

Easy enough. I won't!
Old 02-28-2013, 10:48 AM   #16318
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,887
Quote:
I do have a OEM bag collecting dust and a OEM bash plate that has been retired too.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:10 PM   #16319
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,454
ACD skid plate finished

The plate is finished at last!!
Now I can change the oil and filter without remove the plate

jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:21 PM   #16320
fredz43
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 572
Quote:
After having AF1 Racing do my ECU Unlimited flash, I tried the CSM mod to see if I could tell if it added anything. I would stop and insert the fuse and then later stop and remove it and at times, I thought that, yeah, I think I feel a bit of difference with it, at other times, not. I then installed a handlebar switch so that I could easily make the transition while riding, at a stop, etc. Once I did that I saw that I could tell not one bit of difference with the switch on and off. I installed a fuse on a friends stock S10 and he was amazed at the difference it made in his stock bike. We then rode mine with the flash only and agreed that it had better throttle response, even right off the bottom. So, I have concluded that at least on my bike with the ECU Unlimited flash and only an Akra can as far as mods, the flash is better at all RPM's and the CSM adds nothing.

fredz43 screwed with this post 02-28-2013 at 02:37 PM
fredz43 is offline   Reply With Quote