User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 10:39 PM   #16486
Specterx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
golly

This won't compete with the last photo posted on this thread, but it is a pimped out tenere...sorta.

put some honeycomb mesh on the side cover. thought it turned out pretty good... if you do it, get the bare aluminum and paint it black after you bend it.. I got the bock powder coated... it flakes off when you bend it...

Specterx screwed with this post 03-07-2013 at 10:45 PM
Specterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:03 PM   #16487
tomatocity
Retired and lovin' it

Oddometer: 752
Looks good Specterx.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere #027, 2005 KLR, 1993 Chevrolet S10,
tomatocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:24 AM   #16488
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,393
I'll be in Moab for EJS on the 21st Walter, I'll take it out for you as a gesture of friendship.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:38 AM   #16489
WalterDavis
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Thanks, RedRocker, but you don't wanna be on a bike around here that week, this place fricken' explodes! It's calmed down since they started importing the cops from out of town, but it's still crazy! I appreciate the offer, though! If you make it this way while I'm around, I'll buy the first round
WalterDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:27 AM   #16490
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,393
I hear ya, been doing EJS every year since about 1988, also an associate member of the RedRock 4 wheelers club, hence the screen name.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:38 PM   #16491
Happy Snapper
GOMOB.

Oddometer: 2,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Specterx View Post
This won't compete with the last photo posted on this thread, but it is a pimped out tenere...sorta.

put some honeycomb mesh on the side cover. thought it turned out pretty good... if you do it, get the bare aluminum and paint it black after you bend it.. I got the bock powder coated... it flakes off when you bend it...

How do you fix it to the bike?

Never trust atoms.... they make up everything!

Read my Blog: http://snapshotsfrommark.blogspot.com.au
Happy Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:58 PM   #16492
Specterx
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Snapper View Post
How do you fix it to the bike?
it was surprisingly easy. For the two on the side I just cut a piece of mesh that was big enough to cover the hole in the cover. First unscrewed the back piece to the side cover. Then pressed it to the shape of the contour of the existing grill. Then screwed them back together. On the open port there was only one side I could tuck the mesh under and had to use 3M double sided tape (like the stuff used on the gopro mounts). I will post some pics of the inside view later.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:23 PM   #16493
Specterx
Adventurer

tool box

the tool box worked out pretty well. I powder coated the bracket. With the nylon strap tightened it doesn't budge at all. Plus you can leave it on the bike and get the tools out of it... just loosen the strap.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:39 PM   #16494
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Specterx View Post

I did more or less the same but cutting off the original plastic grid.
Looks great!

jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:19 PM   #16495
bouldertag
WannabenarlyADV'rrrr

Oddometer: 429
Ok after a long ride on Friday with my new Tenere. I was required to do the honey to do lists for the remainder of the weekend. She has me now.

Anyhow. I cant post my pics and don't want to do the photobucket thing. Is there a better way to post pics?

I wanted to show you all my oil window.. I don't have a oil window I have a plastic screw in plug where the manual tells me should be a window to see the level of the oil. I unscrewed it thinking the window is underneath this plastic thing. Cool a OEM protection piece for the oil window. Not. Complete hole to my engine. Good thing the oil wasn't high..

So is this normal? I cant see in the manual pics if there suppose to be a glass window or not.
Is this normal? Plastic plug to the Engine?
Edit 15 minutes later i see it on other bike pictures this black plug. So it is just open to the engine to see your level?? Crap my little boy could easily unscrew this thing and dump some dirt and bolts into it..ughhh Store tight against the wall I guess.

So there is not suppose to be a glass window behind this plastic cover? No one has had any problem with oil leaking out then?
Do I open that and watch the oil fill up to some mark in the engine?

Thanks Boulder

bouldertag screwed with this post 03-09-2013 at 05:27 PM
bouldertag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #16496
White Tenere
Look a moose

Oddometer: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouldertag View Post

I wanted to show you all my oil window.. I don't have a oil window I have a plastic screw in plug where the manual tells me should be a window to see the level of the oil. I unscrewed it thinking the window is underneath this plastic thing. Cool a OEM protection piece for the oil window. Not. Complete hole to my engine. Good thing the oil wasn't high..

So is this normal? I cant see in the manual pics if there suppose to be a glass window or not.
Is this normal? Plastic plug to the Engine?

Thanks Boulder
Mine and every Tenere I've ever seen all have and oil window/sight glass at the rear of the right hand side case(rear brake side). If you pm/email me the pic I will post it for you- very curious what is on your bike...

Heres what mine looks like-

White Tenere screwed with this post 03-09-2013 at 05:40 PM
White Tenere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:37 PM   #16497
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,242
Bouldertag-

If I had to guess, you were opening the inspection plug (see red arrow). The sight glass is marked by the green arrow.

Anticyclone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:39 PM   #16498
bouldertag
WannabenarlyADV'rrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by iridemotorbikes View Post
Mine and every Tenere I've ever seen all have and oil window/sight glass at the rear of the right hand side case(rear brake side). If you pm/email me the pic I will post it for you- very curious what is on your bike...
Your saying in the rear just above the rear break about 1 O'clock.
I was looking at the big plug in the front right side just above the exhaust sensor around 10 o'clock from the sensor. What is the purpose of having a hole in your engine plugged by plastic?

I can take a picture right now as I just put the bike away close to the wall so my 5 year old doesn't open that plug up.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:44 PM   #16499
bouldertag
WannabenarlyADV'rrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticyclone View Post
Bouldertag-

If I had to guess, you were opening the inspection plug (see red arrow). The sight glass is marked by the green arrow.

Ok I am a Tenere Noob. The site Glass is very small then. I was thinking it was the inspection plug. You are right. Ok thanks that clears it up. Everyone can laugh at me now. The oil must be pretty dark as it looks like a black bolt to me so I thought the inspection plug was the site glass.

Thanks!
Old 03-09-2013, 05:44 PM   #16500
White Tenere
Look a moose

Oddometer: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouldertag View Post
Your saying in the rear just above the rear break about 1 O'clock.
I was looking at the big plug in the front right side just above the exhaust sensor around 10 o'clock from the sensor. What is the purpose of having a hole in your engine plugged by plastic?

I can take a picture right now as I just put the bike away close to the wall so my 5 year old doesn't open that plug up.
Look at my post again I added pics and Anticyclone posted a schematic/drawing of the location..
White Tenere is offline   Reply With Quote