ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 11:14 AM   #16576
ronandkat
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Greensboro NC
Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
That's why it's a good idea to demo a bike if you can. The shoe does not fit for all.
It does come across as kinda bland at first. It is not an "OMG" type bike. Most owners
like the pack horse ability, unbreakable reputation, comfortable ergos and lonnnnnggg
maintenance schedule. Dare I say it's practical?
I actually posted this in the wrong thread! (was supposed to be in the thread about the guy considering a Uly, I was just snooping in here!)
But as such, you hit the nail on the head, and was kinda what i was curious about. I liked the idea of having service around most every corner, and parts available out the wazoo.. If my bike become seriously problematic, it will probably certainly be on the short list to replace it with. There certainly wasnt anything BAD about it, I just didnt feel at home on it, which surprised me because the ergos and looks scream big dirt bike, which i have spent 37 years on.. It kinda comes across as a better vstrom I think?
ronandkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:24 AM   #16577
Hetzel88
cycles is a mean toy
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack'dTiger View Post
If you have the clutch mod in place, it won't reset. Pull the fuse, off, back on, and you should be good as new...
Thanks. I didn't have the clutch mod. Just had to ride it a few feet for it reset. Doh!
Hetzel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:27 AM   #16578
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer
 
pluric's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake
Oddometer: 17,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronandkat View Post
I actually posted this in the wrong thread! (was supposed to be in the thread about the guy considering a Uly, I was just snooping in here!)
But as such, you hit the nail on the head, and was kinda what i was curious about. I liked the idea of having service around most every corner, and parts available out the wazoo.. If my bike become seriously problematic, it will probably certainly be on the short list to replace it with. There certainly wasnt anything BAD about it, I just didnt feel at home on it, which surprised me because the ergos and looks scream big dirt bike, which i have spent 37 years on.. It kinda comes across as a better vstrom I think?
Yes, many ex Strom owners, me included, now have the Tenere. I liked my Strom for
what it was. I really like the Tenere for what it is above the Strom. It was a natural transition
with better suspension, balance and stability. Power wasn't that much different. It's nice as
riders that we have so many great choices out there right now.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:29 AM   #16579
hANNAbONE
Gnarly Adventurer
 
hANNAbONE's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Versailles, IN
Oddometer: 198
Question

Ray -

How will your Supa10 exhaust the engine heat with those Wolfman bags so close to the fan exit??

Can the thing breathe???

(*I'm sure you've thought of this already - just seems so very close to that hot air escape area.*)
__________________
hANNAbONE
'12 SinisterBlack Yammy Supa10 hoonbike

??did you order your RADIATION STICKERS yet??
hANNAbONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:33 AM   #16580
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer
 
pluric's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake
Oddometer: 17,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by hANNAbONE View Post
Ray -

How will your Supa10 exhaust the engine heat with those Wolfman bags so close to the fan exit??

Can the thing breathe???

(*I'm sure you've thought of this already - just seems so very close to that hot air escape area.*)
Just being nosey. I think he means this set up.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:43 PM   #16581
freeflow
get in or go in
 
freeflow's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: GB-Wisconsin
Oddometer: 16,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Ya, the black ones can't wait to blow somethng. I think they come with a 3 amp fuse
for the power outlet. Designed for GPS or phone stuff, not an inflator. Up the fuse to
10 amp and you should be fine. I put a BMW style in for the inflator with heavy gauge
wire and straight off the battery. Just waiting for the recall now.
I cut the wire on the pump and spliced in two sae 2 prongs. then plug the 2 prong of the pump to the battery tender leads......

you can then reconnect the two 2 prongs to use in a 12V socket if needed...versatility is the plan...
freeflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:55 PM   #16582
Kelvininin
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Kelvininin's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Corcoran, MN
Oddometer: 187
You can just do what I did and install this, fused connection directly to the battery. Its also where I plug the bike into the batter tender.

Kelvininin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:17 PM   #16583
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer
 
pluric's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake
Oddometer: 17,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeflow View Post
I cut the wire on the pump and spliced in two sae 2 prongs. then plug the 2 prong of the pump to the battery tender leads......

you can then reconnect the two 2 prongs to use in a 12V socket if needed...versatility is the plan...
The slime pump comes with an SAE end.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:46 PM   #16584
William42
Beastly Adventurer
 
William42's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Champaign, IL
Oddometer: 2,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
The slime pump comes with an SAE end.
You would know all about slime pumps.
__________________
Mud is evil
William42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:46 PM   #16585
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Damascus, MD
Oddometer: 2,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvininin View Post
You can just do what I did and install this, fused connection directly to the battery. Its also where I plug the bike into the batter tender.

For reliability . . .
It's better to add a small panel than to drill in the plastic sub-frame. Follow the frame to see what all it holds and then think about a crack starting from one of these new mounting holes will do.
__________________
Super Tenere & WR250R, AMA, IBA
Wreckchecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:37 PM   #16586
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer
 
pluric's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake
Oddometer: 17,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by William42 View Post
You would know all about slime pumps.
Well, I never! GB could you please delete this obscene sexual innuendo???

Nevermind PM sent.

pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:40 PM   #16587
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa
 
Old Git Ray's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: UK based, Bored because I am not travelling
Oddometer: 1,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by hANNAbONE View Post
Ray -

How will your Supa10 exhaust the engine heat with those Wolfman bags so close to the fan exit??

Can the thing breathe???

(*I'm sure you've thought of this already - just seems so very close to that hot air escape area.*)
hANNAbONE and pluric,

Fair comment, but when I made the bars up 2 years ago I had this in mind and even allowed space to remove both the side panels without removing the bars.

I have tested it for 50 miles but the weather was relatively cold. If the fan stays on whilst riding out of town I will have a rethink.

See this old pic:
__________________
Karen "Oh my God, I am traveling with a f**king idiot."
Blog: http://www.raykarenhall.blogspot.com
Old Git Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:52 PM   #16588
Red Dust
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: North of Brisbane
Oddometer: 463
I thought about this excellent bike even before it came out but had some issues so I have waited to get one. Next month they will release the new KTM1190R here in Australia which seems to be a great bike as well but since I can get the XTZ brand new or a demo for AUD$5-7K cheaper I wonder if the new KTM is that much better, a test ride will tell.
What I do not like about the XTZ1200 is: Buffeting from the windshield (is it removable or can I get a super low one for the Australian climate plus a smaller screen or no screen will minimize wind buffeting). Seems to be vibrations from the handlebar? Need to use the clutch at lower speeds, like the shaft drive idea but gearing can not be changed. That the XTZ got around 35% lower power output does not worry me since I got a back up bike if need will be for the drag strip. Tank range? My current DL650 can go up to 500km`s between fill ups and the KTM according to owners in Europe says around 300-400km. My mate got a XTZ1200 and I can see how fast he is on really bad roads, impressive for such a big bike! Need a bit more convincing than the lower price compared to the KTM1190 but price is an issue of course and for AUD$5K+ I can get a lot of extras for the XTZ. Anyone that had buffeting problems that solved that issue? Many thanks for a great forum!
Red Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:04 PM   #16589
Happy Snapper
GOMOB.
 
Happy Snapper's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Brisbane, almost heaven!
Oddometer: 2,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dust View Post
I thought about this excellent bike even before it came out but had some issues so I have waited to get one. Next month they will release the new KTM1190R here in Australia which seems to be a great bike as well but since I can get the XTZ brand new or a demo for AUD$5-7K cheaper I wonder if the new KTM is that much better, a test ride will tell.
What I do not like about the XTZ1200 is: Buffeting from the windshield (is it removable or can I get a super low one for the Australian climate plus a smaller screen or no screen will minimize wind buffeting). Seems to be vibrations from the handlebar? Need to use the clutch at lower speeds, like the shaft drive idea but gearing can not be changed. That the XTZ got around 35% lower power output does not worry me since I got a back up bike if need will be for the drag strip. Tank range? My current DL650 can go up to 500km`s between fill ups and the KTM according to owners in Europe says around 300-400km. My mate got a XTZ1200 and I can see how fast he is on really bad roads, impressive for such a big bike! Need a bit more convincing than the lower price compared to the KTM1190 but price is an issue of course and for AUD$5K+ I can get a lot of extras for the XTZ. Anyone that had buffeting problems that solved that issue? Many thanks for a great forum!
I find that the standard screen with an adjustable bracket works for me for the buffeting issue.

Cheers

Mark Taylor
__________________
Happy Snapper

Never trust atoms.... they make up everything!

Read my Blog: http://snapshotsfrommark.blogspot.com.au
Happy Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:36 PM   #16590
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa
 
Old Git Ray's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: UK based, Bored because I am not travelling
Oddometer: 1,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dust View Post
.............
What I do not like about the XTZ1200 is: Buffeting from the windshield (is it removable or can I get a super low one for the Australian climate plus a smaller screen or no screen will minimize wind buffeting). ...............
Most people have this problem and as such there are now many aftermarket screens and adjusters. DO NOT be tempted to buy the larger Yamaha one. It is actually the same size but a bit wider at the top.

Piccy of the "Large" one installed and the original held on top.

__________________
Karen "Oh my God, I am traveling with a f**king idiot."
Blog: http://www.raykarenhall.blogspot.com

Old Git Ray screwed with this post 03-20-2013 at 03:41 PM
Old Git Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015