ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-27-2013, 03:04 AM   #16771
twinrider
pass the catnip
 
twinrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: 日本
Oddometer: 8,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post

So the next Harley is way down there, and the rest? DNF?
That's because Porsche designed the V-Rod's motor.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:22 AM   #16772
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...
 
Dallara's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: South Texas
Oddometer: 1,713
Cool2 Very slick toilet paper...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
...Not surprising considering it's the all time highest scorer in Motorrad's 50,000 km endurance test where they calculate the costs of riding for 50,000 km and tear apart the bike, including the motor, to inspect for wear. Harleys have been very reliable for years now.

XT1200Z content: you can see how it ranks on the Motorrad score card below. ...


Oh, yeah...

I forgot. Everything printed in those magazines is absolute gospel. Just like it must be true if it's on the internet, right?

You may forget... I also own a Harley (an XR1200), and though it was also something I pre-ordered, much like the Super Tenere, and I love it, I don't have near the faith in it that I do in the big Yamaha.

And though I don't read German, I'm gonna' guess that one big reason the Harley *supposedly* was cheaper to own was because it required no valve adjustment or throttle-body synchs during it's tested lifespan. That will shave off quite a bit of maintenance dollars/euros. But there's a trade-off for that - performance. That big ol' lumbering Road King may cost a penny or two less per mile, but it also doesn't have near the acceleration, half the braking, or one-tenth the cornering prowess of the S-10, much less the big Yamaha's off-road capability...

I love to see that chart after the Road King had been taken down a few single-tracks.

Dallara



~
__________________
~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:58 AM   #16773
TH
There and Here
 
TH's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Northern VA
Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
Oh, yeah...

I forgot. Everything printed in those magazines is absolute gospel. Just like it must be true if it's on the internet, right?

You may forget... I also own a Harley (an XR1200), and though it was also something I pre-ordered, much like the Super Tenere, and I love it, I don't have near the faith in it that I do in the big Yamaha.

And though I don't read German, I'm gonna' guess that one big reason the Harley *supposedly* was cheaper to own was because it required no valve adjustment or throttle-body synchs during it's tested lifespan. That will shave off quite a bit of maintenance dollars/euros. But there's a trade-off for that - performance. That big ol' lumbering Road King may cost a penny or two less per mile, but it also doesn't have near the acceleration, half the braking, or one-tenth the cornering prowess of the S-10, much less the big Yamaha's off-road capability...

I love to see that chart after the Road King had been taken down a few single-tracks.

Dallara



~
It probably doesn't take into consideration the amount of chrome doo-dads that vibrate off of those bikes. I was taking an MSF ERC and the HD riders kept talking about how they lost bits of chrome here and there that just vibrated off of their bikes on their various rides. Or how they spent thousands so that they would have ehhanced performance!
__________________
"doggone and dagnabit! That's what I call a whopping' big rabbit."
Keep the rubber side down
'01 Sprint ST '12 Super Tenere
NOVA Tag-o-Rama Map
TH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:22 AM   #16774
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer
 
pluric's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake
Oddometer: 15,885
Wait, I thought you could only Harley bash on Fridays?

Oh well what the heck. The group I used to street ride with were
majority HD boys. Late model, well farkled, money no object
and louder than hell.

More often than not a trailer or rented U-Haul was involved for one
of them to finish the ride. Broken belt, cam bearing, electrical gremlin,
fouled plug (we were able to fix that). One guy was so tired of his
Electra Glide problems and disapointed in the lack of factory support
he bought a BMW. That bike was fine until he launched it into a spring
run off river to be found 5 weeks later. Damn things don't float.

I have to agree much improvement has been made with ahhhh, certain brands.
To me they are catching up, not setting the example to be followed.

Time for another glass of that delicious blue kool-aid.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:59 AM   #16775
TH
There and Here
 
TH's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Northern VA
Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Wait, I thought you could only Harley bash on Fridays?


Time for another glass of that delicious blue kool-aid.
Oh, I didn't realize there was a specific day for that....

On a more serious note, if that can be obtained around here amongst the sexual innuendo's, blue, black, grey, white, etc... :ymca I always welcome new riders to the realm of motorcycling. I'd rather have more motorcyclist out and about, regardless of their ride.
__________________
"doggone and dagnabit! That's what I call a whopping' big rabbit."
Keep the rubber side down
'01 Sprint ST '12 Super Tenere
NOVA Tag-o-Rama Map
TH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:52 AM   #16776
Climb14er
Jazz Aficionado
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Denver, Colorado
Oddometer: 38
It's rather funny... I'm looking for a used, low mileage S10 out here in Colorado and would prefer the Explorer but riding the Triumph out west here, with barely any dealerships outside of the large cities, would leave me feeling a little 'vulnerable' to breakdown, to say the least.

Then I see a couple of guys who I appreciate their postings, on S10's, bash Harleys and their riders... kind of puts them in the same position as Harley riders bashing metrics.

I've been riding forty years, on bikes such as Kawasaki 500's, Norton Commandos, older BMW's, Yamaha 650 twins, Triumph 650's and for the last 2.5 years... a Harley Road King Classic and can honestly say that the RKC is one of the most fun bikes I've ever ridden. Not to mention, has been bullet-proof mechanically the entire time.

I also wear full Motorport Kevlar with Aerostich Light Combat touring boots and sometimes my third (1993) custom Langlitz Leather jacket with Wesco boots.

Nobody at Rocky Mountain Harley Davidson says a darn word about my wearing Kevlar! They also know that I've been on other metric bikes over the years.

I like the smoothness of the Explorer motor on the road better than the S10. I like the off-pavement attributes of the S10 over the Explorer.

The reliability of the S10 plus the unbelievable amount of Yamaha dealerships out west have me leaning to the S10.

I just had to say that the Harley RKC, when I get off the bike, I feel darn good! Isn't that what riding is all about?

Now I'm going back to reading more S10 and Explorer threads and looking for a low mileage, Colorado or near Colorado lightly used S10 for sale at a great price! If you have one for sale, send me a PM.
__________________
“The strength of an individual is not measured by how much one can control others, but by how much one can control oneself.” Hidy Ochiai
Climb14er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:25 AM   #16777
TH
There and Here
 
TH's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Northern VA
Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb14er View Post
Then I see a couple of guys who I appreciate their postings, on S10's, bash Harleys and their riders... kind of puts them in the same position as Harley riders bashing metrics.
Point well made! Hypocrites' we all are!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb14er View Post
I've been riding forty years, on bikes such as Kawasaki 500's, Norton Commandos, older BMW's, Yamaha 650 twins, Triumph 650's and for the last 2.5 years... a Harley Road King Classic and can honestly say that the RKC is one of the most fun bikes I've ever ridden. Not to mention, has been bullet-proof mechanically the entire time.

I also wear full Motorport Kevlar with Aerostich Light Combat touring boots and sometimes my third (1993) custom Langlitz Leather jacket with Wesco boots.
I may not have as many years as you riding various bikes, but I have throughly enjoyed my almost 30 years on two wheels and have liked every bike I've owned. I've been very fortunate!

Glad to hear that you wear the gear! That sets you apart from the many faces in the crowd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb14er View Post
I like the smoothness of the Explorer motor on the road better than the S10. I like the off-pavement attributes of the S10 over the Explorer.

The reliability of the S10 plus the unbelievable amount of Yamaha dealerships out west have me leaning to the S10.
.
I had a Triumph Tiger 1050, which had a great motor, Ok suspension and abysmal lighting. I didn't like the lack of a dealer network. It was very painful to work with them when I was trying to address an issue that I had with it. I think the Triumph motors are great. But I doubt I'll by another one again. Even though I do like them.

You appear to be going to the Yamaha for many of the same reasons I did. I've been very happy with mine. One thing that helped me tons with mine was the CSM.

Time to get out and ride!
__________________
"doggone and dagnabit! That's what I call a whopping' big rabbit."
Keep the rubber side down
'01 Sprint ST '12 Super Tenere
NOVA Tag-o-Rama Map
TH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:27 AM   #16778
Specterx
Adventurer
 
Specterx's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Texas
Oddometer: 61
I love it!

It is not that you are grumpy, you live in Texas. I noticed that same thing with the DFW area of texas. The Harley riders around here are the biggest jerks. They never wave. When I ride in Arkansas it is not like that. That list is great. You hit the nail right on the head!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
Ya' know... It's amazing just how much BMW and Harley, and the riders of those two brands, are alike...

- Both brands sell their "Lifestyle" more than anything else.
- Both brands keep re-hashing the same ol' ideas over and over.
- Both brands consider themselves far superior, even in just concept, than other makes.
- Both brands cost outrageously more than they should.
- Both brands have their own little owners groups, complete with cute "I Ride This Brand" magazines full of ads with the latest "See What I Ride" licensed gear.
- Both brands would have disappeared a long tie ago if they didn't keep falling back on their air-cooled twins.
- Both brands flagship models have some form of traction control - with the BMW it's electronic, and with the H-D's it's lack of power.
- Both brands have some sort of ABS available on all models - again on BMW's it's electronic, and with most H-D's it's simply lack of decent brakes.
- Most Riders of both brands feel compelled, mostly by kool-aid drinking peer pressure, to wear all manner of clothing - riding gear, shirts, boots, underwear, and even jewelry - emblazoned with the marque's name and logos. Most of these "lifestyle" items are ridiculously expensive, too, but those super-superior owners pay it.
- Most riders of both brands like to ride only short distances... With the BMW crowd it's in between Starbucks, and with the H-D crowd it's bars.
- Most of each brands riders refuse to wave to riders of any other brand.
- Each brand's riders seem to believe their chosen name plate is the only one any "real" riders would be mounted on, and some can be downright snotty about it...
- Riders of both brands like to host big rallies where they hope riders of any other motorcycle make won't show up.
- Riders of both brands really like "bling"... With the H-D crowd it's chrome and leather - with the BMW kaffeeklatsch it lights and multi-colored whale-foreskin riding suits.
- Both brands have a legendary reputation for breaking down and stranding their riders...



Have i missed anything?

Dallara



~
Specterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:37 AM   #16779
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer
 
pluric's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake
Oddometer: 15,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by TH View Post
Oh, I didn't realize there was a specific day for that....

On a more serious note, if that can be obtained around here amongst the sexual innuendo's, blue, black, grey, white, etc... :ymca I always welcome new riders to the realm of motorcycling. I'd rather have more motorcyclist out and about, regardless of their ride.
Down in Jo momma there is and it's friday.

I agree with two wheels, whatever they are, are more than welcome.

If I was sent a survey I think I would say my bike (what ever brand) had been very
reliable. As owners we tend to let slide minor quirks and would hate to admit we
ride a bike prone to problems. In reality, if I was honest with myself, the Tenere rims
would have left me stranded in Baja. The fork seals leaked and the spoke nipples
loosend and one fell off bending the spoke that required I purchase a full set to fix.

Yet if I was asked I would forget all that and say it's bullet proof. Guess I'm in denial.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:40 AM   #16780
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer
 
pluric's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake
Oddometer: 15,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb14er View Post
Then I see a couple of guys who I appreciate their postings, on S10's, bash Harleys and their riders... kind of puts them in the same position as Harley riders bashing metrics.

I've been riding forty years, on bikes such as Kawasaki 500's, Norton Commandos, older BMW's, Yamaha 650 twins, Triumph 650's and for the last 2.5 years... a Harley Road King Classic and can honestly say that the RKC is one of the most fun bikes I've ever ridden. Not to mention, has been bullet-proof mechanically the entire time.
It's hard to comment on other brands without coming across as bashing.
No one was shouting POS something or other. There is a certain level of generalization
on any brand and comments will focus on known issues.

I honestly tried to get the HD thing. I've had several opportunities to swap bikes and give
them a good test. Sorry, I don't get it. Must be me because I see more of those on the
road than any other brand when traveling.

If I speak of a break down it is with personal experience. I'm not relying on hearsay
or even posted photos. In fifteen years of the group riding with mixed brands I've never had a
Japanese bike not finish a ride. I've never personally seen a BMW shaft fail on a ride.
Enough other stuff to make me cautious of them.

I'm just getting old. Took my Cayman into the dealer today and am trying out a
InfinityG sedan. I'm tired of a stiff ride (down boys) manual shift and Porsche
maintenance schedule. I do have to admit it was disappointing not to have
kids point and turn heads when I was driving the Infiniti. Maybe the dealer can put
loud pipes on it.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:16 PM   #16781
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer
 
GrahamD's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Blue Mnts Ozstralia
Oddometer: 4,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post

I'm just getting old. Took my Cayman into the dealer today and am trying out a
InfinityG sedan. I'm tired of a stiff ride (down boys) manual shift and Porsche
maintenance schedule. I do have to admit it was disappointing not to have
kids point and turn heads when I was driving the Infiniti. Maybe the dealer can put
loud pipes on it.
Why don't you pick up a good used Lexus LFA. I'm sure Paris H will get sick of flat batteries sooner or later.

I'm sure the Italian super car forums are full of Lexus Bashing..
__________________
"It's better to ride a boring bike than push an interesting one" ... Canuman

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:46 PM   #16782
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer
 
pluric's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake
Oddometer: 15,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Why don't you pick up a good used Lexus LFA. I'm sure Paris H will get sick of flat batteries sooner or later.

I'm sure the Italian super car forums are full of Lexus Bashing..
Opps. Xnay on the car talk ay.

Next this will be down in "Head explody" next to the camera posts.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:16 PM   #16783
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer
 
tremor38's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Japan
Oddometer: 1,400
Pluric pretty much covered my thoughts in his latest post. I like the looks of the Rode King, but I don't understand the whole cruiser thing. If I had the garage space for a bike of every genre, the RK would probably be the choice for that category, but it wouldn't get used very often.

Even the Sportsters lumber along like a fright train and respond to cornering inputs like a cargo ship. I won't even get into the truck-like foot controls. It's just not what I look for in a bike.

Sent from my SC-03E using Tapatalk 2
__________________
2011 Yamaha XT1200Z
tremor38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:38 PM   #16784
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...
 
Dallara's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: South Texas
Oddometer: 1,713
Wicked Hey!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tremor38 View Post

...Even the Sportsters lumber along like a fright train and respond to cornering inputs like a cargo ship. I won't even get into the truck-like foot controls. It's just not what I look for in a bike.

Hmmm... Well, I dunno'...

My Harley-Davidson XR1200 Sportster doesn't "lumber" in any way at all, nor does it "respond" anything like a "cargo ship"...





Of course, all that may have something to do with the "Braking" forged aluminum 17" wheels at both ends along with "Braking" stainless steel discs, the Showa BPF fully adjustable forks, terrific YSS "piggyback" shocks out back, and some other changes to improve its steering geometry...

Of maybe it could just be that it hangs out with another one of my bikes (seen on the trailer with it) from time to time and learns by osmosis.

That said, and remember I love my Harley XR, I still don't have the depth of faith in its reliability that I do in my Yamaha Super Tenere. I own lots of bikes now (a Ducati, a Norton, the XR, my S-10, a couple of Honda's, a Kawasaki, and a bunch of vintage CZ's), and goodness only knows all the other ones I've owned in over 40 years of motorcycling... No bike I have ever owned in all that time has inspired the same kind of trust I have in the Super Tenere. With nearly 29,000 miles on it, all of those in 19 months, I can confidently say I would ride it anywhere without even the slightest concern that it might leave me stranded. It's a rock...

Dallara



~
__________________
~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:53 PM   #16785
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb
 
BobLoblaw's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Oddometer: 1,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
Hmmm... Well, I dunno'...

My Harley-Davidson XR1200 Sportster doesn't "lumber" in any way at all, nor does it "respond" anything like a "cargo ship"...





Of course, all that may have something to do with the "Braking" forged aluminum 17" wheels at both ends along with "Braking" stainless steel discs, the Showa BPF fully adjustable forks, terrific YSS "piggyback" shocks out back, and some other changes to improve its steering geometry...

Of maybe it could just be that it hangs out with another one of my bikes (seen on the trailer with it) from time to time and learns by osmosis.

That said, and remember I love my Harley XR, I still don't have the depth of faith in its reliability that I do in my Yamaha Super Tenere. I own lots of bikes now (a Ducati, a Norton, the XR, my S-10, a couple of Honda's, a Kawasaki, and a bunch of vintage CZ's), and goodness only knows all the other ones I've owned in over 40 years of motorcycling... No bike I have ever owned in all that time has inspired the same kind of trust I have in the Super Tenere. With nearly 29,000 miles on it, all of those in 19 months, I can confidently say I would ride it anywhere without even the slightest concern that it might leave me stranded. It's a rock...

Dallara



~
a Harley and a Ducati on a trailer
__________________
Ride till you can't - Marty Hill
l
BobLoblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014