ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 02:33 PM   #16801
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 17,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by William42 View Post
Whine much? Get your ass out and ride that blue slug.
Good advice. This weekend looks promising. I feel so spring rusty it's like
"can I even do this?" kinda thing.

After trading the mid life car off on a sedan I'm feeling even more geriatric.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:19 PM   #16802
dickensheets
smprparatus

Oddometer: 289
Recently got a Marc Parnes balancer. Did a tire on my Tenere. Works great. Front Distanzia took 5 grams.

This is a sweet unit for those intersested.

dickensheets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:40 PM   #16803
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickensheets View Post
Recently got a Marc Parnes balancer. Did a tire on my Tenere. Works great. Front Distanzia took 5 grams.

This is a sweet unit for those intersested.
I just shove mine back on the bike on its own axle but without the calipers or any other wheel bits.

Is that any different ???
Old 03-29-2013, 04:21 PM   #16804
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
With the stock tires the Tenere is well planted, stable and feels very confident in corners.
I swapped bikes with my Beemer buddy and liked his as well. It felt lower and a little more cramped to me. His GS felt more like a sport standard with wider bars. The Tenere was higher and has a large dirt bike feeling.
Ok, that is two conflicting reviews. This Yamaha dealer is just going to have to let me try one if he wants me to buy. I want to be able to haul ass through the twisty’s then hit dirt roads.

What do you think of the price? $16,000 out the door with tall windscreen, saddlebags and heated grips.

Seat height on my GS is much higher then the S10. But I had to raise the rear of the GS to get it to handle well in the wind and at speed. I always thought there was something wrong bike. A very few on GSpot seem to have had the handling problems I had.
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:26 PM   #16805
California
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,053
it's mine, it's mine, it's mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Woo Hoo!

I've been planning and scheming for almost a year now, and I finally pulled the trigger. It's got almost everything I want already on it, it's in perfect condition, OCD maintained, only 13,000 miles and a 4 year Y.E.S. warranty.

Now for a weekend in the Hill country to figure what's right and what needs to be changed..............

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I
took the one less traveled by,
and that has made all the difference
California is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:35 PM   #16806
dickensheets
smprparatus

Oddometer: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post
I just shove mine back on the bike on its own axle but without the calipers or any other wheel bits.

Is that any different ???
No. Not really.
dickensheets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:00 PM   #16807
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
Ok, that is two conflicting reviews. This Yamaha dealer is just going to have to let me try one if he wants me to buy. I want to be able to haul ass through the twisty’s then hit dirt roads.

What do you think of the price? $16,000 out the door with tall windscreen, saddlebags and heated grips.

Seat height on my GS is much higher then the S10. But I had to raise the rear of the GS to get it to handle well in the wind and at speed. I always thought there was something wrong bike. A very few on GSpot seem to have had the handling problems I had.
There has to be an inmate around that will let you try theirs if the dealer won't.
You really need to try it first. If you are ever in SLC I can hook you up but I still
have the K60s on

The GS I rode I could flat foot easier than the Tenere. I run the seat on the low setting
with a Airhawk seat pad. 32 inch inseam.

I've not heard what 2013 prices are or if they are being discounted yet. Personally I
think the OEM heated system is way pricey. Owners have only had positive comments
on the heat and mixed reviews on the shoe box size control knob. I use Heat-troller stuff
for under $100 and have been happy with it on several bikes.

I bought a OEM touring screen too. I've since switched to a V Stream tall. Goofy looking
but man is it dead air behind it. So I don't think I would buy it until you have checked out
a couple of other options. I do have the OEM bags and like them for the nice fit and the flat
tops alow for easy install of additional storage bags if needed. They are a little light on volume.

My general take on peoples remarks who have owned both the GS and the Tenere or ridden
each a fair amount is ther isn't a night and day difference in handling. They both do very well
on slab. Some find the front end suspension on the GS to be vague feeling off road.
You do get a lot of the decision for the Tenere based on wanting a drama free ride.

Power is stronger on the GS and the new water jacket model will be that much more if
that's important.

It's mentioned with every body thinking of test riding the Tenere to bring a mini fuse with
them for the simple clutch mod. Obviously it won't change the handling you are curious
about, but it does smooth out the initial power delivery and gives it a little more umphh.

When you mention a bike you feel you can sport ride in the twisties and then explore the
dirt you nailed it with the Tenere or the GS. Just with the Tenere you can do it with complete
peace of mind.

pluric screwed with this post 03-29-2013 at 05:07 PM
Old 03-29-2013, 05:11 PM   #16808
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

It seems our own DaFoole has been out having more fun than the rest of us.
Hope he does not mind me sharing the love.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=866016
Old 03-29-2013, 06:09 PM   #16809
TeneRay
2>4

Oddometer: 2,178
I searched lightly but didn't see anything...

Is it me or do the stock headlights suck?

I honestly can't see sh*t in the turns. The high and low beams only emit into a defined field of view. Once I hit a turn, the lights lean with the bike and cut off my view through the corners. I'd have to slow down so I wouldn't over/under shoot the turns.

What gives?
TeneRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:22 PM   #16810
jasonc32amg
Hello Gubner

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmgf7 View Post

I honestly can't see sh*t in the turns. The high and low beams only emit into a defined field of view. Once I hit a turn, the lights lean with the bike and cut off my view through the corners. I'd have to slow down so I wouldn't over/under shoot the turns.

What gives?
I didn't think they were that bad until I had a set of the piaa driving lights installed. It's a huge difference and looks tough to boot.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:25 PM   #16811
Saso
chronically restless

Oddometer: 891
It's not you - really. I added the PIAA LP530s - big improvement.

As Jason already said.
Saso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:40 PM   #16812
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmgf7 View Post

What gives?
Yup, not the brightest out there. Several aftermarket options. I like these
because they hide up out of the way so well. Scroll down this page and there
are some light pattern shots that do not do the light justice but give
you an idea.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...92384&page=186

Old 03-29-2013, 06:57 PM   #16813
TeneRay
2>4

Oddometer: 2,178
I went for an extended after-work ride tonight to finally reach the 600 mile service and it was far after dark when I started to approach home. I took the "twisty" way back and was having a hard time negotiating the turns because of the lack of light.

It was only a week ago when I was still on the Vee. I know I wasn't struggling this bad on the Vee at night. I always though of adding additional lights to the DL but now I see I need it for this bike. It's pretty pointless that I need to upgrade the lighting because the stocks are insufficient.

I notice these are pretty much at one power setting the whole time and have a mechanical visor to flip between high and low beam. Seems interesting but not very effective IMO. Are these halogens?
TeneRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:31 PM   #16814
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by California View Post
it's mine, it's mine, it's mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Woo Hoo!

I've been planning and scheming for almost a year now, and I finally pulled the trigger. It's got almost everything I want already on it, it's in perfect condition, OCD maintained, only 13,000 miles and a 4 year Y.E.S. warranty.

Now for a weekend in the Hill country to figure what's right and what needs to be changed..............

I know that bike. And the character who built it! (He's a hoot. Just did the Big Bend rally with him) That bike is farkled out nicely.

And, you now live in Flower Mound? Not quite the 2-wheel paradise of California, but a nice lifestyle and culture in South Texas. With West Texas at your doorstep. 365 days of riding too.

Yep, you coulda done way worse!
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:33 PM   #16815
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
If you are ever in SLC I can hook you up .
You’re too kind.

I’ll go down to the Yamaha dealer Tuesday morning and put it to him. I have to try the bike before I buy. I have doubts that this is the bike for me.
It’s not a power issue at all, it is much more subtle then that.

Thanks for all your replies, they were very helpful.
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote