Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2013, 11:12 PM   #16876
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestVirginia View Post
Gentlemen, and those reading this post :)

Is there any agreement on the best farkle to put on a new Tenere before rolling it out of the dealership?

I really do hope to sign on the dotted line after Easter and want it to roll off the floor with skid plate and crash bars installed since I haven't owned a bike in 20 years. Time flies, eh? My last bike was a white and red Yamaha YZ250 so I'll stay with the same colors on the new Tenere. It's a tribute to the fact that over the years both my motorcycle and belly will have grown substantially.

No luggage for now. Other than that, I need everything--even a helmet.

Ohh, the cheap fuse fix...I'm guessing that is the number one thing I am to do when I get her home?

By the way, despite my ugly looks and pony-keg belly I imagine many supermodels will swarm me due to my motorcycle and total lack of riding skills. Should I carry a taser to keep them away so my wife doesn't get mad?

Scratch that. I do not want my wife to have access to a taser when the new motorcycle/gear bill arrives.

Cheers to all.
Many differing opinions on whose and what level of belly protection is needed.
I'd shy away from OEM stuff. Do a quick bash plate search and decide if you
are a Defcon 1 or Defcon 5 kinda guy.

You will make it home fine. 20valves is still running his with the original jock strap cup
and hasn't lost a sump yet.

Me? I'm running Altrider stuff. Rack, side bars and bash plate. Trashed the OEM plate and
now kinda wish I'd gone a tad heavier duty on the bash plate, Really like their other stuff.

If you are a night owl some aux led lights are well worth it.

Sniff around here and the Tenere site and you will learn a lot from others mistakes or
great ideas.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:37 AM   #16877
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,183
Seems sort of familiar those pipes...

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:11 AM   #16878
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,220
I like my Hepco and Becker bash plate. Taken many hits from off road jaunts and Alaska trip, no problems. Only 5 screws to remove for oil/filter change.

I'd say it is about a defcon 3 level, no jumping logs, rocks or such for me.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:34 AM   #16879
tomatocity
Retired and lovin' it

Oddometer: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapacker View Post
I like my Hepco and Becker bash plate. Taken many hits from off road jaunts and Alaska trip, no problems. Only 5 screws to remove for oil/filter change.

I'd say it is about a defcon 3 level, no jumping logs, rocks or such for me.
I am searching for a bash plate. How does the H & B attach to the Tenere engine? I am also considering AltRider and SW Motech.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere #027, 2005 KLR, 1993 Chevrolet S10,
tomatocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:45 AM   #16880
jasonc32amg
Hello Gubner

Oddometer: 135
Quote:

Is there any agreement on the best farkle to put on a new Tenere before rolling it out of the dealership?

I really do hope to sign on the dotted line after Easter and want it to roll off the floor with skid plate and crash bars installed since I haven't owned a bike in 20 years. Time flies, eh? My last bike was a white and red Yamaha YZ250 so I'll stay with the same colors on the new Tenere. It's a tribute to the fact that over the years both my motorcycle and belly will have grown substantially.

Ohh, the cheap fuse fix...I'm guessing that is the number one thing I am to do when I get her home?

By the way, despite my ugly looks and pony-keg belly I imagine many supermodels will swarm me due to my motorcycle and total lack of riding skills. Should I carry a taser to keep them away so my wife doesn't get mad?

Scratch that. I do not want my wife to have access to a taser when the new motorcycle/gear bill arrives.

Cheers to all.
I'd say a seat is a must have. After 200 miles it gets unpleasant. Everything else depends on use and personal taste.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:26 AM   #16881
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,382
Quote:

Cheers to all.
Headlight cover and plastic wings are a good start. Bash plate is a liability, unless you do road only in which case don't bother at all. IMHO, no bash plate (i.e. just keeping the plastic one it comes with) is better than the Yamaha aluminium one.

Most people change the screen or at least get some sort of adjuster as the noise and turbulence at forehead level is a pain. The "big" Yamaha one is only slightly bigger at the corners and leans back a bit - waste of money (my opinion of course).

A front mudguard extension my be worth considering.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:10 AM   #16882
vnp514
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonc32amg View Post
I'd say a seat is a must have. After 200 miles it gets unpleasant. Everything else depends on use and personal taste.
I respectfully disagree. Once I did the seat mod(removed the "downward cant), this is one of the better stock seats I've had on a bike.

Bash plate/crash bars are a must if you're going to ride it out in the woods

Pete
vnp514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:42 AM   #16883
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,787
Cool2 Well, what do you think?

Quote:

Cheers to all.

IMHO, it all depends on you, what you want out of the bike, and how you plan to use it...

If you're planning on bashing about off-road on lots of single-track then don't scrimp on a skid plate. Get a RumBux, ACD, or RideOADV - period. Add some K60 rubber to that, too, and you're pretty well ready for off-roading.

If you're primarily a slab rider then you're gonna' hate the stock windscreen pretty quickly, but the big Yamaha one is junk. My personal preference is the Parabellum, but there are lots of fans of the CalSci and V-Stream ones, too. You'll probably end up with either the seat mod (didn't work for me) or an aftermarket seat instead. Lots of options... Sargent, Saddleman, Corbin, Mayer, Russell, Cee Bailey's, etc.... Take your pic. You may want some sort of throttle lock, too.

If you think that somehow you need to make a lot of noise - for very little performance return IMHO - then I suppose a slip-on will make you smile, but be prepared to spend big-bucks getting the bike to run right then. IN my mind, better to spend the coin on an ECU re-flash and get the thing running right with the stock exhaust and enjoy the quiet, but that's just me.

If you really want a huge performance gain then the best bang-for-your-buck - really - is to pull your forks, send them off to Nick Stolten at Stoltec Engineering, and get him to revalve and re-spring them for you and send back a wonderful Penske rear shock to go with those re-worked forks. The difference is nothing short of astounding, and it's much less expensive than going the Ohlins "Bling Buck" route... Again, just my personal opinion, but I've ridden on a lot of Ohlins-equipped bikes (and still own one with both Ohlins MotoGP forks and the best shock they made) and for my money the Penske stuff from Nick is better for real world riding.

There's a couple of things every Super Tenere needs, whether your use is primarily off-road or on-... A much better rack, for one. The stock one is chessy at best. Me, I think the AltRider is the best replacement, but there are other good ones, too, like the SW Motech and Touratech. On top of that buy lots of oil, oil filters, and tires, as you will be riding this bike like no other you have ever owned.

If I was at the dealers, and I wanted to bargain with him for any Yamaha add-on's before I rolled out the door I would try to get the 4-year YES warranty tossed in along with at least a case of oil filters, a few gallons of oil, and a couple of quarts of final drive lube. The stock side cases are good, too - despite what some may tell you (I have 29,000 miles on mine) - if you're trying to get Yamaha accessories. I know you said you didn't need cases, but you may someday. Yamaha's PIAA lights are good, too, though pricey. IMHO, most of the rest of Yamaha's stuff is not as good as what you can get in the aftermarket.

Note, this is simply my own opinion... Others will surely have differing ones.

Hope it helps!

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists office. - Unknown

'Cos it's easier to try than to prove it can't be done, and it's easier to stay than to turn around and run. - Justin Hayward
Dallara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:52 PM   #16884
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,180
Dallara, don't you have a trailer recommendation too?
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:44 PM   #16885
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Laugh Sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Dallara, don't you have a trailer recommendation too?

Behind the bike: Moto-Mule - http://www.moto-mule.com/

Behind the truck, open trailer: Triton Aluminum - http://www.tritontrailers.com/produc...40&ModelID=353

Behind the truck, enclosed trailer: Featherlight - http://www.fthr.com/

Dallara

~

'Cos it's easier to try than to prove it can't be done, and it's easier to stay than to turn around and run. - Justin Hayward
Old 03-31-2013, 03:24 PM   #16886
TeneRay
2>4

Oddometer: 1,891
Anyone know of a vendor/person that sells auxiliary light bars that allow the lights to be added on the outside of the cowl? Not like the Twisted Throttle mount that houses the lights on the inside but like this:

If I can find one reasonably priced, I can put together a kit using some Hella's for far less than the PIAA kit. I just doubt the SW-Motech bracket can accommodate two 6" diameter lights.

If there isn't one, I guess I'll have to run down to a fab shop and have them weld some steel together.

TeneRay screwed with this post 03-31-2013 at 03:30 PM
TeneRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:30 PM   #16887
WestVirginia
Well spoke'n

Oddometer: 84
Big D in South Texas - Thank you!

Appreciate all the tips.

Will the ECU reflash mean I don't need to do the cheap fuse mod? Not sure I want to be toying with a fuse before the warranty is up.

A front fender extender sounds nice, but I'm afraid mud would rip that bad boy off.

Looking around YouTube I found a neat toy at the 5:17 mark for a gear indicator. I might get one as I like things that light up. If anybody watches this video, does this guy keep his motorcycles on carpet??

BTW, my riding will probably be like most--ride a little highway and lots of backroads and hope to find some trails I won't be chased off of.

Oh, are Yamaha heated grips good? Don't know if they are offered.

Signed,
A native Texan
http://youtu.be/MJVkg1kY7eU
WestVirginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:31 PM   #16888
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Wink Well, let's see...

Quote:
Appreciate all the tips.

Will the ECU reflash mean I don't need to do the cheap fuse mod? Not sure I want to be toying with a fuse before the warranty is up.

A front fender extender sounds nice, but I'm afraid mud would rip that bad boy off.

Looking around YouTube I found a neat toy at the 5:17 mark for a gear indicator. I might get one as I like things that light up. If anybody watches this video, does this guy keep his motorcycles on carpet??

BTW, my riding will probably be like most--ride a little highway and lots of backroads and hope to find some trails I won't be chased off of.

Oh, are Yamaha heated grips good? Don't know if they are offered.

Signed,
A native Texan
http://youtu.be/MJVkg1kY7eU

Once again, please note that these are only my opinions. You'll certainly find plenty who will disagree with me... Especially about this first one!

I am *NOT* a fan of the CJM, or clutch jumper mod. I tried it and didn't like it even before I ever had the ECU re-flash done. There are a myriad of reasons, and you can read all about the pros and cons both here and on the Super Tenere board. You'll find a *TON* of people who will rave about it... But by and large those are folks who have *NOT* ever had a re-flash done. The CJM is definitely *NOT* equivalent to an ECU re-flash. If you ever have the opportunity to try both you will readily realize that.

But mind you, I had my re-flash done for one simple reason - to remove the 1, 2, and 3 gear restrictions that Yamaha placed in their fly-by-wire system for throttle control. I was not expecting big performance gains, etc. I just wanted to free up the factory nannying of the throttle, and the ECUnleashed re-flash did that. It also seemed to smooth out the low-speed fueling (i.e. now mine will idle around with the clutch out, no clutch slipping needed - as it had before - and it pulls smoothly away from there, where before it would buck, stumble, and sometimes stall if you weren't quick and deft with the clutch). Again, you can read tons more about re-flashes elsewhere...

Now after I had the re-flash done I tried the CJM, and guess what? It did *NOTHING*... And I do mean nothing - neither good nor bad. I didn't like the CJM before the re-flash, but you could definitely tell it did something, though to me the CJM was not an improvement. Once the re-flash is done, though, it literally has no effect, period.

As regards to warranty... I will say this about the CJM - it is so easy to put the fuse in and take it out, and there is absolutely no evidence you ever used it, that I doubt it could ever remotely cause you a warranty issue with regards to them somehow *finding* it. No worries there. As for the re-flash affecting warranty... Well, I honestly don't think the dealer has the necessary diagnostics to determine if a re-flash has been done, and even if some did you still have the Magnuson-Moss Act in your corner - i.e. the dealer and/or the factory have to prove that the re-flash caused whatever problem you might have to refuse coverage.

Just FYI... I have been running my re-flash for more than 25,000 miles without an issue, for what it's worth.

OK, on to other things...

Careful with the fender extenders. Quite a few that have mounted them have found they *catch* or *hook* certain skid plates during fork travel. As such they can certainly destroy the fender extender if that happens, and in some cases have busted the fender as well. That may not seem that bad but remember that a brake line goes across the top of the rear part of the stock front fender, and if the fender gets tangled up with the tire if it breaks then so could the brake line... And that could have some disastrous consequences.

Gear indicators are available from the same folks who make the Speedohealer (http://www.healtech-electronics.com/). Personally I'd spend the $$$ on the Speedohealer instead (they both wire in the same on the Super Tenere), but to each his own. I've got a Speedohealer I keep meaning to install (to correct the wildly optimistic speedo on the S-10) and I got one of their gear indicators on a special "deal" when I bought it. I have no intention of installing it so I might as well sell it... If you're interested.

Lots of folks like the Yamaha heated grips... They're pricey, but apparently they put out a ton of heat. Kind of a clunky looking control mount, but there are other options for that. Lots on the forums about alternative heated grips, so do a search and look around. I'm not a fan of heated grips, and don't use 'em, so I'm not one to ask...

Hope this helps, but don't forget that the *Search* function works on both ADVrider and the Super Tenere forums. Try that for your questions and I'm sure you'll find plenty of *answers* and opinions on just about anything you're interested in.

Dallara

~

Old 03-31-2013, 06:38 PM   #16889
Flydream
King of the Atlantic

Oddometer: 373
Thumb

http://ultimatemotorcycling.com/yama...late-triangle/

"Going into this exploration of a virtually secret part of California, we suspected that we had made good choices in motorcycles. The Yamaha Super Tenere lived up to its reputation, and it was made for a ride like this. Flawless in design and perfect in execution, this is a serious adventure bike."
Flydream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:28 PM   #16890
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flydream View Post
http://ultimatemotorcycling.com/yama...late-triangle/

"Going into this exploration of a virtually secret part of California, we suspected that we had made good choices in motorcycles. The Yamaha Super Tenere lived up to its reputation, and it was made for a ride like this. Flawless in design and perfect in execution, this is a serious adventure bike."
Well, I really don't know how they coped with just 100HP and manual suspension. Must be a tough bunch.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote