Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2013, 06:24 AM   #17401
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticyclone View Post
On an actual Tenere question kind of note...

After viewing the series of photos where the Tenere bit it on the Dragon over the weekend: http://xtremesportsphotography.photo...4&g=0QAK01CZ08, I got to looking at my skid plate to see if it would touch down before my peg feelers. Then I noticed I don't have a peg feeler on the right peg.

Is this normal? Left peg has a big ol' 3/4" peg feeler on it.
Ouch!! I saw the pics, poor bike... glad Mike is ok.

Yamaha Super Ténéré off road modifications: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797977
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:33 AM   #17402
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by TH View Post
Ouch on the wreck... That was MIkef500, I found some postings from him confirming this. Per his postings:

1) Bike is "Obliterated"
2) He is OK, gear saved him

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....ostcount=59037

Wow. You really hate to see that happen. Too cliché, but I'm glad he's okay.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:50 AM   #17403
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by TH View Post
Ouch on the wreck... That was MIkef500, I found some postings from him confirming this.
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....ostcount=59037
Glad he walked away virtually unscathed!

That crash guard system hanging low and wide looks to be the culprit.... shower of sparks from those well before the panniers started to drag.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:42 AM   #17404
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
The animation is more entertaining:

http://s267.photobucket.com/user/Mik...shGIF.gif.html

Here's the scoop:

(OEM only put a peg feeler on the left, because the center stand will drag earlier on the left)

Before this Monday's Dragon trip, I hadn't ridden twisties with my newly added Rumbux and Panniers. Full disclosure, the peg did touch first, but the hard parts followed quickly... like very quickly... as in, if you've got a Rumbux and you're dragging a peg you are a tiny fraction of an inch away from a lowside.

Learn from my mistake, don't drag pegs with a Rumbux!

I blamed the panniers at first, and I do think they dragged at almost the same time, but further inspection of the pictures, and looking at the non-crashing hard-leaning pictures from Killboy, show the Rumbux as the ultimate culprit.

For riding off road, I'll maintain that the Rumbux is the best of the best. But if you ride hard on road as well, the decreased available lean angle is good information to have.

I will say that where the last picture ends was the extent of my fall (without a scratch or bruise), but only the beginning for the bike. It continued tumbling as it rolled about 200 feet down the mountain. Getting it back up was a challenge, but we managed. The dealership quit doing a repair estimate when they passed the $16,000 mark.

I pulled my luggage, got a rental car, and headed the 400 miles home.

All things considered, everything's gone great; from the towing, to the dealership, to insurance.

Unfortunately I won't be able to replace it right away, but I do foresee getting another S10. The new KTM Adventure 1190 looks very nice, but it also looks pricey, and it's got a stupid chain, and the old KTM Adventure 990 can be had as new-old-stock locally for extremely reasonable prices, but the maintenance/chains/tubes all scare me a bit.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:09 AM   #17405
japako
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Mike, glad you made it out ok. You can always buy another bike, but broken bones are tough to deal with..
japako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:13 AM   #17406
Tim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by William42 View Post
Tim please post pics of when you have the bracket made. I am considering the same set up.
As requested, here is my bracket. As you can tell my day job is manufacturing bespoke parts for Moto GP and WSB bikes!

Oh and just for the anti-steering damper types, I have had this damper fitted to any number of my bikes, such as Africa Twin, KTM 640 Adventure, and my 660 Ténére. I really find that it helps when riding off-road especially with luggage and Mrs Tim on the back. Maybe if I were an off-road riding god with over eighty years experience and several world championships under my belt I wouldn't need one, but I'm not and I fully accept that I need all the help I can get! You will notice that all of the bikes that I have previously fitted it to all have 21 inch front wheels so I would expect that the damper will be even more of a help with the 19 inch front wheel on the Super Ténére.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:16 AM   #17407
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,275
Also glad you are OK Mike! There are so many ways that could've gone worse.

But you were also a smart guy, being ATGATT!

How about posting up photos and descriptions of your gear and how it/you fared?

btw - Back to a KLR for now?
Old 05-02-2013, 01:59 PM   #17408
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
The gear fared very well.

Here is my ride report, crash details, and tons of pictures and tons of pictures and information

http://www.mikef5000.com/2013-ride-and-crash.html
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:26 PM   #17409
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,885
I've got a buffer you can borrow. I think that's all it really needs.

Again, glad the body is fine.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:53 PM   #17410
sscol
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Mike,

Glad you are ok and everything worked out getting home ok. Did you happen to pass through Charlotte NC (I-77) on Friday the 27th around 7:30am? I remember seeing a black Tenere on I-77 south, I was heading up to KY.

Will you have a bike in time for West Virginia this summer!?!?!?!
sscol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:34 PM   #17411
William42
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,343
Mike,

Sure glad you could walk away from that crash.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:37 PM   #17412
William42
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
As requested, here is my bracket. As you can tell my day job is manufacturing bespoke parts for Moto GP and WSB bikes!
Thanks Tim.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:47 PM   #17413
Buckeye56
Batoutahelius

Oddometer: 200
MikenI am sorry to hear about your get off. But I am glad you were not injured. Good luck on your quest to buy another Tenere.

Trying is the first step towards failure.
Buckeye56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:23 PM   #17414
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,652
Quick tire review

I haven't really kept up with this thread, and I know the subject of tires have been beat to death, but I thought I'd share anyway. I think most will disagree with me on this, but for others in the same boat you might find it useful.

So Heidenau K60s, the current holy grail of adventure tires. Reputed to take you everywhere, get silly high mileage , increase dirt performance and not give up anything on the street. I'd actually agree with all of that except the last part. Here's my experience after running through one and a half sets. Keep in mind I bought the Tenere as a ADV bike/sport tourer, because I like the street a LOT. There I said it, asphalt is cool. But I like to explore dirt roads to.

First the break in period is horrific. I can't remember the last tire I've run that required more than getting it hot and then to the edge once to break the mold release and then all was good. I almost dismounted them in the first 500 miles, hard braking left the front squirming in a very not-so-confidence inspiring way. Somewhere north of 1000 miles they came in and I built some confidence with them, throw in the increased dirt ability and if they stayed this way I'd probably continue running them. Problem is around 2500 miles or so so they started cupping and getting uneven wear to the point that mid corner corrections were a constant for me. Keep in mind I really like to trail the brake into corners and I think this just isn't the tire for that. Somehow I kept them on, and this is what the front looked like at 7K. The rear was toast in about 4K. Truth is I couldn't wait to get these off of my bike.

Anyway being honest with myself I needed a streetier tire, and I know I'll kick myself in the ass the first sand I get into or mud, but the truth is most of my dirt is fire roads, and I can get any big bike with street tires down a fire road.
Put some Tourance Next tires on last week and holy crap I remembered the bike I feel in love with. On an absolute rail in the corners, total braking confidence and can definitely put down more power at lean angle.

Now it sounds like I'm bagging on the K60s, not really. They are a heck of a great compromise, and if I were to ride to Colorado seeking dirt I'd put them on again in a heartbeat. But after reading constant reviews of how they are just as good on the street as 90/10 or full street tires I just thought I'd chime in with how much I felt my Tenere was neutered for the majority of my riding.

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:25 PM   #17415
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,929
Hi Mike,

Sorry to read about the off. Really glad you are OK.

So after all that how did the rumbux stand up?

Could Old_Git_Ray pop in and design you a full roll cage for next time?

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote