Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2013, 08:40 AM   #17431
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,936
Mike is a skilled rider on a road that is well known for no mercy. As he mentioned
if the Rumbux hadn't barely hit before the bag did it would be a discussion on the
side bags. Loaded bike with after market add ons, one of the most twisty roads
in America, kind of a recipe for disaster.

He's a lucky guy to only be out an insured vehicle.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:40 AM   #17432
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,718
Cool2 Depends on how you look at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_404 View Post
Am I out of line, if I say that this makes the Rumbox skidplate a badly designed and highly dangerous product?

I just ordered an Altrider skidplate.
Do I need to worry about the same thing, or don't they stick out as much?
I do not even want to think about my brand new bike looking like that.

There are reports that the AltRider plate drags its rearmost corners immediately after the pegs, and as such could lever the wheel up and off the pavement in much the same fashion...

Of course, each situation, and corner, is different. Is the corner banked? Is it off-camber? Is there a bump in the corner? Etc., etc., etc. On some either plate st-up might drag, on others not at all. Bike set-up is a factor, too. Is the suspension stock? Is it properly set-up? Is the bike over-loaded? Solo or two-up? Forks slid up in the clamps? Lowering links?

All these things, and more, enter into the equation...

And how you plan to use the bike is a factor. If you plan to ride a lot off-road then you may want to make the compromise a more protective plate might cause - i.e. more off-road protection might mean less lean angle on pavement. Only you know the how's and why's of the uses you will put your bike through, and you are the only one who can choose your own compromises.

It certainly is a good idea to check cornering clearance, etc. with any accessory you bolt on that might present such a compromise.

Just my two centavos...

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:01 AM   #17433
Dirty bike
EVal Innovations Inc

Oddometer: 752
Quote:
Am I out of line, if I say that this makes the Rumbox skidplate a badly designed and highly dangerous product?

I am biased, as I'm the Rumbux importer, but I think that's over stating it a bit. Every bike will drag something at some point. I know FJR riders that have dragged the OEM exhausts and levered the tire off the ground. That's a good ways over!

We are each in control of our ride. When we modify out bikes, it's up to us in the end to be aware of what the limits are. I've tried to show how the bars hit when the bike is over on it's side, but honestly, it did not occur to me to show or emphasize what hit first and how much room there was after that, in terms of scraping hard parts on the street. This is not a sport bike, after all.

When I lowered my S10 for my wife to try out, (1" links and 13mm on the forks), I did notice that in right turns I did have occasional contact depending on the angles involved and speeds, etc. The Rumbux lower bash frame only lowers ground clearance by about 1.25", but it's wider too. I've not touched down in corners with normal suspension height, but I'm not a peg scraper and I push the bike out and my shoulder in when riding hard in the twisties. (sort of the beginnings of 'hanging off' w/o the butt slide)

I will start including a caution about this issue with all new orders so that buyers will be at least aware of the potential for this to happen.
Dirty bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:17 AM   #17434
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty bike View Post
I will start including a caution about this issue with all new orders so that buyers will be at least aware of the potential for this to happen.
Maybe Mike will release some of his photos to go along with the caution statement.

Not to be my normal sarcastic self. I agree with all the statements about the after market
and OEM stuff. Road conditions vary so much there is no way to cover every base.

Some people want extreme protection, high capacity luggage or lowered seat height thorugh
lowering links and dropping the forks. Again unwittingly setting themselves up for a possible
surprise.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:41 AM   #17435
88millimeter
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Dirty, i completely agree with your assessment and your plan forward. I hate to blame the equipment but had i known the risk i could have prevented. On a plus side the bars that caused the crash also protected the bike. The lowside of the bike had minor scrqtches on rumbux and jesse luggage. The side of the bike that high-sided had a bent upper c-bar and jesse mount, both of which i was able to fix with the help of a friend and a come-along. Very impressive considering the weight of the bike and the force with which it high-sided. If i removed the accessories right now the bike would be pristine.
88millimeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:49 AM   #17436
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,252
So how does one test for what will hit first? If you just lay the bike over, the suspension is unloaded, so you don't get a good reading. Tomorrow, I have some friends coming over for dinner. Big strong friends. I think I will compress the suspension with some tie-down straps, and then we will lay the bike over and see what hits first on each side.

This will not be 100% accurate, because it's hard to simulate bumps, but should be close.

I'll report my findings. This is of special interest to me since two weeks from today I'll be on that very road...
Anticyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:25 PM   #17437
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,977
Quote:

Sensible question.

I installed a big ass ACD and knobby-ish long wearing tires and some hard luggage.

This is what I expect from the combo.

I will let R1's pass in the twisties.

I will take it easy in the corners and I will treat it like a big bike with less clearance and grip, especially in the wet. I will pretend I am riding a Harley. I will spend more time looking at the scenery and just chill out.

Where I live and where I sometimes ride, a hole on something like a sump and the lack of supplies, especially water, can have serious consequences. So the plus side is I am less likely to have big problems where there is no one around and more likely to have problems when there is someone around.

If I stuff up and come in too hot, well it's just like doing that with any bike where you exceed the bikes limitations.

Many things out there which make riding 10/10th's a bit risky on the road where so many things are out of your control.

Shit happens and unfortunately it sometimes happens to the best of riders.

The Rumux were designed to prevent damage off road. They are one of the best when it comes to that. They may want to look at whether they can tuck them in a bit OR they may supply some longer fellers with the plates. It's up to them.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:33 PM   #17438
true grip
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Talking

I'm with you on the pace of my rides but will draw the line at Harley's passing me
Old 05-03-2013, 04:34 PM   #17439
roarin calhoun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
I've just begun shopping for a crash plate for my Tenere (snow's finally melting around here). After seeing the video of this crash I think I'm going to forgo a crash plate altogether. I'm an old corner blaster & my wife rides with me often(2 up) and now & then I'll pop an asphalt curve pretty hard.Sometimes a curve can surprise you & you're glad for all that ground clearance you didn't think you'd need....but did.
I'll risk banging a hole in the oil pan, better than doing a repeat of this fellow's crash. Thanks for posting it !
roarin calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:40 PM   #17440
WestVirginia
Well spoke'n

Oddometer: 84
Finally

Finally bought my first motorcycle in a little over 20 years last night. Put a plate on today and had my first ride. Forgot how much exercise it is to ride in rough dirt (I'm 48 and....not model thin shall we say?).

Out of respect for the two inmates (Mike and 88) I will wait to post the required "me and my new bike" photo. Glad you are both sharing your stores - it helps us all.

I don't have luggage (no need for now), but am curious: I'm guessing on pavement most you guys ride in T 1 mode. So let's say you find yourself entering a corner too fast. What do you do on a Tenere?

PS: Thanks to the inmates here for sharing their insights on a variety of bikes. I researched beginning in September and finally purchased last night. The Tenere is the value-per-dollar winner.
WestVirginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:47 PM   #17441
BSTARD
Mmmmm...shiny

Oddometer: 272
Hey Pedrosa, oops I mean Mike. I worked out an equation to explain your face plant.

+ =

= Riding a loaded S10 like a 600cc sports bike
= Showing off for photographer
= Face Plant

Your welcome :)
Old 05-03-2013, 04:47 PM   #17442
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestVirginia View Post
Finally bought my first motorcycle in a little over 20 years last night. Put a plate on today and had my first ride. Forgot how much exercise it is to ride in rough dirt (I'm 48 and....not model thin shall we say?).

Out of respect for the two inmates (Mike and 88) I will wait to post the required "me and my new bike" photo. Glad you are both sharing your stores - it helps us all.

I don't have luggage (no need for now), but am curious: I'm guessing on pavement most you guys ride in T 1 mode. So let's say you find yourself entering a corner too fast. What do you do on a Tenere?

PS: Thanks to the inmates here for sharing their insights on a variety of bikes. I researched beginning in September and finally purchased last night. The Tenere is the value-per-dollar winner.
Recent posts on what not to do. I guess hold on and trust in the lord.

Maybe turn into the flip.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:50 PM   #17443
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSTARD View Post
Hey Pedrosa, oops I mean Mike. I worked out an equation to explain your face plant.

+ =

= Face Plant

I can see where you got your ADV name. Was F'nBSTARD taken?
Old 05-03-2013, 05:04 PM   #17444
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSTARD View Post

+ =

= Face Plant

I'll bet even your mother doesn't like you. But keep trying
Old 05-03-2013, 07:06 PM   #17445
WestVirginia
Well spoke'n

Oddometer: 84
New rider

My thread searching is not going well.

Maybe a more accurate question is: When on pavement, is it best to only use the front brake lever due to the Tenere electronics?

I promise not to ask any more dumb questions (tonight).
WestVirginia is offline   Reply With Quote