Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2013, 11:59 PM   #17476
Martin_404
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
My driving instructor explained to me, that when usign the rear brake (also at speeds where you rely 99% on your front brake) it functions like dragging an anchor behind a ship, helping the bike stay on its course.

I think this anchor effect, also means you will not dive into the front suspention as much, as when you use front brakes only. (thus maintaining more steering controll)
Especially with ADV bikes, with their longer/deeper front wheel suspention dive, this would be a more relevent factor.

If also using your rear brake at higher speeds, did not have an important funtion, then it would be very irrisponsible of (for instance) Yamaha to introduce UBS and they would not have done it. (concidering liability claims etc.)
Right?

Martin_404 screwed with this post 05-05-2013 at 07:36 AM
Martin_404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:25 AM   #17477
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post

Never seen braking get so analytical. I guess I never thought about it. You put the
brakes on and it stops or at least slows down.

It's as simple as.....
+1

Just pull the brakes untill it stops!!

Yamaha Super Ténéré off road modifications: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797977
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:06 AM   #17478
avc8130
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_404 View Post
My driving instructor explained to me, that when usign the rear brake (also at speeds where you rely 99% on your front brake) it functions like dragging an anker behind a ship, helping the bike stay on its course.

I think this anker effect, also means you will not dive into the front suspention as much, as when you use front brakes only. (thus maintaining more steering controll)
Especially with ADV bikes, with their longer/deeper front wheel suspention dive, this would be a more relevent factor.

If also using your rear brake at higher speeds, did not have an important funtion, then it would be very irrisponsible of (for instance) Yamaha to introduce UBS and they would not have done it. (concidering liability claims etc.)
Right?
On the street, that braking "dive" can be very useful. It changes the chassis geometry of the bike and allows the bike to steer more quickly and more precise. On the Tenere, I find braking hard and trail braking to really improve how quickly I can negotiate corners since the factory geometry is very lax for off pavement confidence.

I try not to determine what the "engineers" at a manufacture were thinking when they designed something. Generally the marketing and law departments do more work to develop a product than the engineers.

I originally thought I would hate the UBS. But, just like the ABS, other than the fact that I have just about smoked my rear brake rotor in 20k miles I can barely tell it is working on the pavement.

Off the pavement, I have never ridden a bike that feels so comfortable using the front brake lever.

ac
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:35 PM   #17479
rickdotcom
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Hi im new here, in need of some help im having issue with my bike my abs light is on and my speedo reading is at zero while traveling and after riding for some time the engine light turn on. While taking bend i could heard some scraping sound on my front disc bake even thou i had just change my brake pad recently. Could it be my disc brake is bend and that cause the abs and the speedo to not fuction or could it be the abs sensor is faulty? Really in need of some advice. Hope you guys can help solve my problem thanks.
rickdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:59 PM   #17480
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickdotcom View Post
Hi im new here, in need of some help im having issue with my bike my abs light is on and my speedo reading is at zero while traveling and after riding for some time the engine light turn on. While taking bend i could heard some scraping sound on my front disc bake even thou i had just change my brake pad recently. Could it be my disc brake is bend and that cause the abs and the speedo to not fuction or could it be the abs sensor is faulty? Really in need of some advice. Hope you guys can help solve my problem thanks.
Sounds like the ABS sensor was either not installed properly, damaged, or not installed at all after removing and installing the front wheel. Did you use a magnetic screwdriver while removing/installing the sensor?
Anticyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:33 PM   #17481
Dirty bike
EVal Innovations Inc

Oddometer: 779
Quote:
First, tell us some background info.
Where are you located?
How old is the bike? (miles/time)
Did you buy it new?
Warranty?

Problems are often related to the last work done. Did you change the pads, or did you have it done? If you had it done, buy whom? (dealer or??)

It's far more likely that the ABS sensor is bad or not giving a correct signal than the brake is bad. The speedo shouldn't be related to the sensor, getting it's input from the VSS sensor at the trans.

Was this a wrecked/salvage bike?

Did everything work before the last work done?
Dirty bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:52 PM   #17482
rickdotcom
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticyclone View Post
Sounds like the ABS sensor was either not installed properly, damaged, or not installed at all after removing and installing the front wheel. Did you use a magnetic screwdriver while removing/installing the sensor?
nope did not use a magnetic screwdriver to remove the sensor and have not remove my wheel due to im still on my oem tire.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:57 PM   #17483
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,074
Its the blue wire..

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:10 PM   #17484
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Quote:
nope did not use a magnetic screwdriver to remove the sensor and have not remove my wheel due to im still on my oem tire.

So this problem showed up immediately after changing the brake pads?
Old 05-05-2013, 03:11 PM   #17485
Icecold Dan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 524
Question

Since my romp in the mud yesterday, my check engine light has been on. I hosed the bike down and thought it would clear over night but it hasn't. I removed and cleaned both abs sensors but I am still getting an error code 42. Any advice?
Old 05-05-2013, 03:15 PM   #17486
rickdotcom
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty bike View Post
First, tell us some background info.
Where are you located?
How old is the bike? (miles/time)
Did you buy it new?
Warranty?

Problems are often related to the last work done. Did you change the pads, or did you have it done? If you had it done, buy whom? (dealer or??)

It's far more likely that the ABS sensor is bad or not giving a correct signal than the brake is bad. The speedo shouldn't be related to the sensor, getting it's input from the VSS sensor at the trans.

Was this a wrecked/salvage bike?

Did everything work before the last work done?
im located in Singapore.
its been a year and half around 20000km.
yup bought it brand new.
warrenty only 1 year, im 6 months over.

yup the pad i did it on my own by just removing both the caliper clear the brake dust and putting in the new pad before fixing the caliper back.

sorry still not to technically into the electronic stuff im not sure what is the VSS sensor.

nope the bike was not wrecked.

yup everything was working well eventually after i did my brake pad due to hearing some scraping sound from the front brake.

i did brought it back to the dealer and they also have no clue about what went wrong BUT they suspected is abs pump is at fault and they could not give me an assurance that after they change the abs pump it will be ok. they quote me a ridiculous price so i did not proceed with the job they suggest.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:23 PM   #17487
rickdotcom
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticyclone View Post

So this problem showed up immediately after changing the brake pads?
yup. i know it sound weird but have been trying to figure out what went wrong as well did a trace back the job i did on changing the pad but everything seems to be ok. check through on the abs fuse as well nothing is blow.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:31 PM   #17488
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecold Dan View Post
Since my romp in the mud yesterday, my check engine light has been on. I hosed the bike down and thought it would clear over night but it hasn't. I removed and cleaned both abs sensors but I am still getting an error code 42. Any advice?
Per the shop manual it's one of three things-

1) Rear wheel sensor: no normal signals are received from rear wheel sensor.
2) Neutral switch: open or short circuit is detected.
3) Clutch switch: open or short circuit is detected.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:14 PM   #17489
WestVirginia
Well spoke'n

Oddometer: 84
Sluggish out of 1st

Many wise men say the ECU flash from AF-1 is the cat's meow.

I expressed my desire to use AF-1 when I bought my Tenere last week and the shop owner suggested I go with the Power Commander V instead.

Not seeing sunshine and roses as I try to get out of first gear on these WV tilted roads. Need a fix so I can stop stalling the bike and flying off as if I were a member of Cirque du Soleil--a dramatic mix of circus arts and street entertainment.

What say you?
WestVirginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:37 PM   #17490
Icecold Dan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 524
Thanks Anti. I do have the clutch switch mod in, so maybe I need to pull it and see if it clears. I've already pulled and cleaned the rear wheel sensor. The neutral light is working properly, so my guess is that isn't the problem. Thanks, I'll let you know what I find.