Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2010, 12:47 PM   #1741
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatwhacker
Sounds great. The thing I don't like about all this tech stuff, is that if you get used to it too much and start to depend on it you take it for granted that you cannot brake too hard on the front before the rear cuts in, what happens when you jump on another bike or the system fails and you don't know how to react.
I'm not being negative here. If you depend on anti lock brakes all the time, you forget how to brake and eventually mess up.
I grew up driving tractors hauling hay on slippery fields in Ireland. A little too much pressure on the brake and you were history on a high field. I use that skill today riding my bike or driving my truck.

Anyway, back to the subject on hand. Enough about ABS and computerised brakes.
I'm not being negative either, but the electronics are the trend; the BMW S1000RR costs much less to insure in the UK (than other litre bikes), partly because of the traction control and ABS. It's going to more of a consideration for purchases over here, lowering the total cost of ownership.

As far as good technique, I tend to agree with you; but the world is full of idiot drivers, for instance, and 'safety features' are prominent in cars.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:49 PM   #1742
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatwhacker
People that would buy one right now, no questions asked, if Yamaha brought them in, and if the price was halfway between a Vstrom and a 1200GS.
I'd put a deposit down today. But halfway between these two bikes in price? Now where did I put that "flying pig" photo?

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:51 PM   #1743
vander
full-time dreamer

Oddometer: 913
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3B

Most Dakar victories are held by Yamaha thanks to mostly the mother of all Tenere's the YZT750 ridden by the famous Peterhansel...

This is not an YZT750. That's the 1987' FZT920 ridden by Jean Cloude Olivier-

http://www.rallye-tenere.net/BgFZT750-900.html
Old 03-04-2010, 01:00 PM   #1744
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,090
Did you guys know that Stefan Hessler, builder/racer of XTZ750 Super Teneres for rally-raids, is an Inmate here?
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 01:15 PM   #1745
Rick West
Function not Farkles

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlybear
I'm impressed so I plonked down a deposit on the Super Tenere yesterday.
I like buying bikes too, but I wouldn't buy one that no one has ever ridden and might turn out to be a dud. Do you have an bailout clause in your purchase agreement or do you lose your deposit if you want out after the roadtests become available?

Everyone was all excited about Honda's VFR1200 and look how that turned out. Another huge misfire from Honda. What if this bike is all hype and not much else?
Old 03-04-2010, 01:29 PM   #1746
Grizzlybear
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
There's a lot of clap-trap going around about is the Ducati better than the ST12 (Tenere) or the R1200GS or is the KTM SMT990 the ducks guts etc etc. Which looks better blah blah blah!

Methinks that you've got to compare apples with apples and to my way of thinkin', any 'cross-over' bike that comes fitted with 17" rubber on the front should be compared with its kind and any bike that comes standard with a 19" (or 21") front hoop should be compared with its kind. So this drops these bikes into two distinct camps... on one hand you've got the new (and old) Multistrada, KTM SMT990, Tiger 1050 and Buell Ullusys (at a stretch). In the other camp you've got the R1200GS(A), Stelvio, V-Strom, KTM 990 Adventure and ST12. On one hand you've got a bunch of 'cross-over' bikes that are basically dumbed down sports bikes and the second group are your genuine dual-sporters.

Current rides: 2009 Triumph Scrambler, 2013 KTM Adventure 1190

Grizzlybear screwed with this post 03-04-2010 at 02:01 PM
Grizzlybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 01:41 PM   #1747
Grizzlybear
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick West
I like buying bikes too, but I wouldn't buy one that no one has ever ridden and might turn out to be a dud. Do you have an bailout clause in your purchase agreement or do you lose your deposit if you want out after the roadtests become available?
Call me a risk taker and I wont be offended but I've been trusting my own judgment with bike purchases for about 45 years and havn't come unstuck yet! The last real dud that Yamaha made (to my memory, but it sometimes fails me!) was back about 1973 with the intro of the TX750. I never owned one but I remember them well. You can keep you wallet in your pocket and you'll never go wrong or you can take a punt in life and sometimes hit the jackpot. Your choice!

Current rides: 2009 Triumph Scrambler, 2013 KTM Adventure 1190
Grizzlybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:14 PM   #1748
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,272
Quote:
Call me a risk taker and I wont be offended but I've been trusting my own judgment with bike purchases for about 45 years and havn't come unstuck yet! The last real dud that Yamaha made (to my memory, but it sometimes fails me!) was back about 1973 with the intro of the TX750. I never owned one but I remember them well. You can keep you wallet in your pocket and you'll never go wrong or you can take a punt in life and sometimes hit the jackpot. Your choice!
You didn't buy an MT-01 did you?
The Super Tenere will not be a dud, it'll be a fine bike. Unfortunately for me I'm just not in the market for a bike like this. The DR, Scrambler and CBF are working out very well. Granted I could probably replace those three with the Tenere but then who wants to ride the same bike every day. I'll be interested in your opinion once you've had a few good rides on it.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:21 PM   #1749
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Hey, it's time for me to weigh in too, I'm an expert keyboard rider!

I look at this new Yamaha and see nothing new, nothing innovative. Like the GS that it emulates it's a touring bike but a parallel twin makes access to the top of the engine difficult; all that plastic and the gas tank have to come off, which means shop labor time.
L-Twins are not that easy either. Ducati motors are not as easy as some either. The motor controlled suspension is controlled by Italian electrics.
I am nervous about that one.

Routine maintenance on the sides of the Boxer is a snap, on the rear and front not as easy but not super hard.

A lot of the press release material on the S10 is devoted to ease of access for maintenance. You may want to read it a bit more carefully. Time will tell though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
And what's surprising is the ABS cannot be switched off like on the GS. There are instances when riding on dirt roads where you want to lock up the rear wheel..
On the S10, you disengage the ABS by hitting the rear brake first. It specifically says that in the press release. However I can see that being a potential problem with some clueless people out there.

Cheers
Graham

GrahamD screwed with this post 03-04-2010 at 02:33 PM
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:38 PM   #1750
Molgan
nub

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick West

Everyone was all excited about Honda's VFR1200 and look how that turned out. Another huge misfire from Honda. What if this bike is all hype and not much else?
I bought my Yamaha XT660Z Tenere without any test ride and before there was any test reports to go on. First test ride was after I paid for it and rode off from the dealer, and I had a 1500km (930mi) long trip back home in front of me. Never regret it! 16000km later I just love the bike more and more each trip I make. =)
Molgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:42 PM   #1751
vander
full-time dreamer

Oddometer: 913
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross
You didn't buy an MT-01 did you?
I sure missed something, but: What's the problem with the MT01? I know 2 owners and both are absolutely in love with it.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:52 PM   #1752
Rick West
Function not Farkles

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Sounds like you will find the positive side of this bike no matter what. At least you buy one, not like us in North America.

Looking forward to hearing about it after the press gets a chance to ride it.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:20 PM   #1753
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,160
Hi Guys ’n Girls,
I’m getting slightly irritated. This thread is about the new Yam ST, but it reads like a Beemer comedy which isn’t funny.

OK, about BMW…
They did ‘invent’ more or less the modern Big Trail Bike with the R80GS and yes, they manage to sell a lot of stuff around the globe.
But please… (I already complained about this behavior in the VFR1200F topic)… Why are all BMW riders here weening around about the bad, bad World outside doing ‘BMW bashing’? Why is it, that only on the Beast Chapter on this wonderful community there are 12 (!!!) BMW-GS involved topics from which 11 are F800 related? And that’s only the first page… Why? The urge of ‘proofing’ something? I don’t know. But please… GROW UP.

My sincere apologies if this might read a little harsh. But those who fit the glove should wear it.

About the reliable thing… I would put my money on ANY Jap bike before on an with cheap Chinese build engine provided ‘so called’ German Build BMW. The Yam is absolutely favorite, but according to the latest news, it won’t be available before July here in the Low Lands… Which makes me sad.

And, eh… For the attached pic in this posting : Try to find something like that on – any – NON BMW. Even a Duc or a Guzzi is more reliable these days than a BMW. And this is not the only article I found. Just do a google on 'BMW Recalls'. NOTE... I'm certainly NOT make an statement that an Japanese bike is faultless (Believe me, I had my share of troubles from leaking cooling liquid, rust to brake-down fuelpumps) but the numbers are speaking for them selves.

Little note… Riding in the German Eifel region (beautiful!) last summer we had a stop at a bikers café near the road. Had a chat with an guy of the German Automobile Club AA (ADAC) who owned an stunning complete MK1 CB750 from the early 70ties.
His quote: I can pinpoint the favorite tours of BMW riders blindfolded. I just follow the oil trail and spare parts…

And this guy is an professional...
Attached Images

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:26 PM   #1754
stromsavard
Sergio

Oddometer: 132
GREAT!!!! That's what Yamaha is all about!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molgan
I bought my Yamaha XT660Z Tenere without any test ride and before there was any test reports to go on. First test ride was after I paid for it and rode off from the dealer, and I had a 1500km (930mi) long trip back home in front of me. Never regret it! 16000km later I just love the bike more and more each trip I make. =)
stromsavard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:29 PM   #1755
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs
Hi Guys ’n Girls,
I’m getting slightly irritated. This thread is about the new Yam ST, but it reads like a Beemer comedy which isn’t funny.

[/COLOR]
Quote "The number of recalls may seem high but that's a result of our robust attitude to quality" The Victory ad right below is priceless, wonder what they paid for that placement? I notice Victory don't even make the list, I guess Victory doesn't have the same "robust attitude to quality" that BMW has.

bross screwed with this post 03-04-2010 at 03:48 PM
bross is offline   Reply With Quote