ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #17536
WestVirginia
Well spoke'n

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Most convincing flame paint job I've ever seen.
It is worth noting that the heat is coming off the left side.

But I kid.

The Tenere is like bacon; if you don't like it, you're wrong.

The question is whether bacon can be improved.

So how do we answer this? Let's say we take a stock Tenere and dyno it, then install/remove ECU flash and then install/remove Power Commander V. Would that settle the debate (I don't know diddly about dyno's)? I love my bike, but only want to do one of the two because I want to stay married.

If there are dyno fans out there, this article has HP and torque for Tenere vs. other popular brands. http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs...deo-91439.html

WestVirginia screwed with this post 05-07-2013 at 05:35 PM
WestVirginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #17537
Red Dust
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 463
Vibes are not very nice if you get constant pain, numbness & tingling.
It might not be real for most but it is certainly a fact for some (me).
I love this bike in every regard but the vibes I`m working on it since this is one beauty of an all rounder.
We are all different but I do believe that it is possible to make a bike today that can be really smooth.
Hopefully my one pounder bar end weights will help.
Red Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:30 PM   #17538
Space Traveler
explorer

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dust View Post
I love this bike in every regard but the vibes I`m working on it since this is one beauty of an all rounder.
We are all different but I do believe that it is possible to make a bike today that can be really smooth.

I understand your pain, I got a Honda 919 that stank a lot, started a petition, and Honda never address the problem. I ended up selling the bike.

Did you try an other S10? I think this is the smoothest bike I have ridden. As smooth as my previous R1200GS. I don't get it that you feel so bad with your bike, but it would be nice if you can try another one to see the difference.
Space Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:07 PM   #17539
Goldie05
Fast George

Oddometer: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Wait a minute, you're being sarcastic aren't you. Silly.
You guys should have bought a Multistrada, lots of power, multiple settings for the suspension, multiple settings for the engine and on and on

The Tenere is too hot, it's too windy, it has dips in power, spokes snap, blah blah fueling is crap, oh my godness I can't switch off the ABS, the UBS sucks

I hope mine will make it to Ouray next month for the 2nd gathering

I hope I see you guys there so we can compare mods
Riding USA Blog
GeorgeFPhotography
Goldie05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:23 PM   #17540
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,319
Quote:
A few questions Mr Dust.

How many Km on the bike?
Are you riding in the same rev ranges you are used to on the DL?
Have you tried another one with higher Km?
Are your mirrors clear or blurred?. They should be clear.
Do you hold on really tight or just fingers?

Do we need to swap bikes in Uralla..in July at 06:00?

My S10 is somewhat like I imagine a DL800 to feel like. The vibes are somewhere between my SV650 and my DL1000.
(Sold of course). But the S10 I often just ride along at low revs, where the 650 was happy but the 1000 was not.

I don't really subscribe to the components out of spec thing these days, but I could go for the "adjustable parts" out of whack a bit.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 05-07-2013 at 07:00 PM
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:33 PM   #17541
ssmv650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Vibrations. and second possible time.

So I owned a Super tenere for 3 months and sold it. I could not deal with the vibrations. However I have never forgotten how well it rode. So now 2 years later I am asking. What are the real results? Do the bike some how smooth out? Are there people who could not stand the bikes vibrations that found a way to live with it?

new anti vibe bars?
Does it get better at what mark?

Thanks for any advice. I just still think I need this bike but had a very vibey one the first time.

Thanks
Andrew
ssmv650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:53 PM   #17542
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,446
I have 3 questions for all you clever sods out there:

1) What does version 2 of the ECUnleashed flash do and is it worth it, and Can I (having had it done in the UK) get it done for free in the US ?
2) Where do you guys (Americans) get your Heidenau tires from ?
3) How are babies made ?
Old 05-07-2013, 06:53 PM   #17543
Ozz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie05 View Post
You guys should have bought a Multistrada, lots of power, multiple settings for the suspension, multiple settings for the engine and on and on

The Tenere is too hot, it's too windy, it has dips in power, spokes snap, blah blah fueling is crap, oh my godness I can't switch off the ABS, the UBS sucks

I hope mine will make it to Ouray next month for the 2nd gathering

I hope I see you guys there so we can compare mods

Are you talking about the S10 or my KLR?
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:05 PM   #17544
Goldie05
Fast George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Are you talking about the S10 or my KLR?
Can't be the KLR, I'm sure when the KLR came out ABS or UBS hadn't been invented yet
Riding USA Blog
GeorgeFPhotography
Old 05-07-2013, 07:10 PM   #17545
Ozz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
What's this about a gathering in Ouray? Can someone give me link or point me in the right direction?
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:21 PM   #17546
Red Dust
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 463
If the problem still exist with the vibes I will sell it since I love riding too much but need the right bike for it.
I had similar problems with my R1 but was more acceptable since you lean forward and it is a sport bike not a touring bike it did smooth out a lot after heavy bar end weights and especially tuning the engine. I always though touring bikes should be comfortable for the long haul. I went across Australia and back with my DL650 but can not even consider ride any further than 1 hour at the moment with the XT.
I got foam grips and I certainly do not grip the handlebar too hard.
Might try the ECU flash but only as a last resort, any idea how much that would be in Australia or maybe best to get it done in Europe or USA?.
Also throttle body balance is said to help which will be done at my first service shortly. The bike only got 600 k`s on the clock so I guess it can only get smoother.
Could have a tendency to arthritis maybe that why it is this bad, might need 6-cyl Gold Wing, that one should be smooth as.....
Maybe the companies that manufacture vehicles will not perfect ones since then there would be no reason to "upgrade" down the track, they certainly keep the aftermarket business happy!
As said earlier this is a beautiful bike in most regards and I think Yamaha have made a good effort. I removed the screen, did order my heavy bar end weights, got a really good gear rack instead of the plastic standard one. I intend to make this bike the best I owned during my 30 years of riding, hopefully there will be success otherwise I might go back to a DL650 again.
Red Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:23 PM   #17547
Goldie05
Fast George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
What's this about a gathering in Ouray? Can someone give me link or point me in the right direction?
There you go

https://sites.google.com/site/supertenererallies/

Or here:

http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?topic=5637.0
Riding USA Blog
GeorgeFPhotography
Old 05-07-2013, 07:33 PM   #17548
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,319
Quote:
If the problem still exist with the vibes I will sell it since I love riding too much but need the right bike for it.
I had similar problems with my R1 but was more acceptable since you lean forward and it is a sport bike not a touring bike it did smooth out a lot after heavy bar end weights and especially tuning the engine. I always though touring bikes should be comfortable for the long haul. I went across Australia and back with my DL650 but can not even consider ride any further than 1 hour at the moment with the XT.
I got foam grips and I certainly do not grip the handlebar too hard.
Might try the ECU flash but only as a last resort, any idea how much that would be in Australia or maybe best to get it done in Europe or USA?.
Also throttle body balance is said to help which will be done at my first service shortly. The bike only got 600 k`s on the clock so I guess it can only get smoother.
Could have a tendency to arthritis maybe that why it is this bad, might need 6-cyl Gold Wing, that one should be smooth as.....
Maybe the companies that manufacture vehicles will not perfect ones since then there would be no reason to "upgrade" down the track, they certainly keep the aftermarket business happy!
As said earlier this is a beautiful bike in most regards and I think Yamaha have made a good effort. I removed the screen, did order my heavy bar end weights, got a really good gear rack instead of the plastic standard one. I intend to make this bike the best I owned during my 30 years of riding, hopefully there will be success otherwise I might go back to a DL650 again.
They do get smother until the 6000Km point, assuming you can last that long. Just a bit of info, all the test bikes I rode before buying had at least 1500Km on them. Mine had about 6000Km. So I don't know personally what a brand spanker feels like.
Do get everything looked at regards throttle sync etc goes. It will help anyway and do try and get a ride on a well set up older one. That will give you a good indication as to where you will end up. There would be little use battling through 6000Km if you ended up not being able to cope anyway.

Hope it works out. As far a big twins go it's good but it's not every ones cup of tea necessarily.

And AFAIK the ECU unleashed flash is available in OZ.

Are your mirrors clear or blurred when riding?

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:38 PM   #17549
delta8x
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
Thumb Copper Canyon MX Feb 2013

delta8x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:24 PM   #17550
RonKZ650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Mine has just over 7000 miles on it and I can't tell $0.02 worth of difference over what it was new. It didn't vibrate new and still doesn't. I don't know if different Teneres may have vibration issues possibly, but glad mine isn't one of them, or I'm just too dumb to notice vibration as I've ridden a lot of miles on 30 or 40 yr old motorcycles 30 or 40yrs ago and some of them would vibrate enough to remember actually quite vividly even now and appreciate how far we've gone in 30 or 40yrs thankfully. But then the horrible wind turbulence of the stock shield, the terrible seat, the ungodly heat of the left radiator are also faults that my bike doesn't have or I'm too dumb to notice. Probably I'm just too dumb I spose.
RonKZ650 is offline   Reply With Quote