Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2010, 04:06 PM   #1756
earthroamer
Stuck in Pindadesh

Oddometer: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs
About the reliable thing… I would put my money on ANY Jap bike before on an with cheap Chinese build engine provided ‘so called’ German Build BMW.
You keep, wrongly, implying that Chinese engines are used in BMW's. The only BMW that has a Chinese (Loncin) engine is the G650GS and the Xcountry. Actually, it's a Rotax thing, not BMW, as Rotax licensed the Type 654 single to Loncin. All other Rotax engines Type 804 are made by BRP Rotax in Austria.

earthroamer screwed with this post 03-04-2010 at 04:38 PM
earthroamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:12 PM   #1757
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,184
Hasn't Toyota taught us that a low number of recalls is not necessarily an indicator of good quality?
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:13 PM   #1758
earthroamer
Stuck in Pindadesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD
On the S10, you disengage the ABS by hitting the rear brake first. It specifically says that in the press release.
Are you sure? The way I read it, using the rear brake unlinked the ABS. It's still not clear how or if you turn off the ABS.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:22 PM   #1759
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick West
I like buying bikes too, but I wouldn't buy one that no one has ever ridden and might turn out to be a dud. Do you have an bailout clause in your purchase agreement or do you lose your deposit if you want out after the roadtests become available?
It all depends on the agreement you make with the individual dealer when you make your deposit. Most deposits, especially for a bike way in the future that doesn't even have a MSRP yet, are completely refundable and in many states, deposits are by law refundable. That's why a 20 person-long waiting list for a bike typically becomes <10 once its available.

Truly an academic discussion with respect to the ST and US availability as it appears at least a year or two away, if ever.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:22 PM   #1760
earthroamer
Stuck in Pindadesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregventure
Is it the case that the 1200cc twin is the biggest parallel twin motor used to date in a motorcycle?...or any other vehicle? Seems like a milestone being missed here...it certainly is one big mother of a twin!!!
This is actually the most interesting thing about the new Super Tenere to me, the big parallel twin with the cross-plane crank. This thing has to be a torque monster. I'm so glad that Yamaha went this route instead of an I4 or (god forbid) the V4. This bike is too big to interest me but I look forward to hearing how the new motor performs. Of course, since a demo is out of the question, I'll have to rely on journalists and owners. BTW, I would never buy a motorcycle that I could not demo.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:24 PM   #1761
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,136
Imho this is a show-case bike for Yamaha; tradition meets technology.

All-roads fans will continue to buy the BMW boxer, sports nuts will gravitate to the MS1200, tall-rounders have the Tiger 1050 triple, and dirt-junkies will still saddle the KTM Adv.

But Yamaha are perhaps setting a mark for the other japanese factories, rather than the euro brands (who are smaller in volume); Honda might release a VFR1200X, Kawasaki are still unsure of a Versys 1000, and the Suzuki VStrom is set to be discontinued.

No-one elsem, with any reach, is stepping up to the plate.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:27 PM   #1762
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthroamer
This is actually the most interesting thing about the new Super Tenere to me, the big parallel twin with the cross-plane crank. This thing has to be a torque monster. I'm so glad that Yamaha went this route instead of an I4 or (god forbid) the V4. This bike is too big to interest me but I look forward to hearing how the new motor performs. Of course, since a demo is out of the question, I'll have to rely on journalists and owners. BTW, I would never buy a motorcycle that I could not demo.
Biggest production P-Twin outside a cruiser; two counter-balancers; low intertial torque due to cross-plane crank.

I have a very poor understanding of those terms btw, but I am interpreting all of them as 'smooth as f**k'
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:29 PM   #1763
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,068
Quote:

My sincere apologies if this might read a little harsh. But those who fit the glove should wear it.

His quote: I can pinpoint the favorite tours of BMW riders blindfolded. I just follow the oil trail and spare parts…
Apology accepted you insensitive clod

But you are right, but can I make a few observations? Ok I will anyway...

If a manufacturer issues a recall, I would consider that a positive in one respect, and that is they are taking some responsibility for the product.
They know that will involve negative PR but do it anyway, so Kudos to them.

However, at some point the sheer number of recalls gets a bit worrying.

Where I come from the brand with the most recalls charges a huge premium for the product IMHO far in excess of the "superior" quality. It starts to look like a "recall" premium after a while.

The other option a manufacturer has is to do a "covert" recall.
When a bike comes in for a service, just quickly change all the sus bits and then make up some bullshit as to why a basic service takes 4 days.
This keeps them off the "official" figures. It would be tempting wouldn't it?

Number three option, is to do what the Japanese have traditionally done and be a bit slower to introduce new wizz bang stuff but err on the side of reliability. That has been the tradition, it does not suit everybody but it has produced reliability. BMW used to be like that. A few models, don;t change too much, stick to what works, but the 80's almost killed them, so I can see why they may have been motivated to change.

Cheers
Graham
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:35 PM   #1764
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthroamer
Are you sure? The way I read it, using the rear brake unlinked the ABS. It's still not clear how or if you turn off the ABS.
There have been two interpretations I have read.
1) One was the "Don't worry dirt guys you can disable it by hitting the back brake first and that will remain disabled until brakes are off again then it goes back to normal.
2) The rear brake is unlinked so as to enable the gnarly adventurers to lock up the rear if needed.

I would say, given the target market, no2 would be safer and less likely to cause a law suit.

But we will see..

Cheers
Graham
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:45 PM   #1765
Roam
If you want to

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by vander
No, the Ducati is just inspired by Mother Nature:

For me is hard to understand why people is saying the ST12 is ugly and the MTS12 looks nice...

I hardly can remember an uglier bike than this Ducati
Ummm, have you ever seen the previous generation multistrada?

LOl at the pics.

Roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:56 PM   #1766
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I’m getting slightly irritated.....
And the other side is just as irritated at you. No one has the moral high ground here. Nobody has any definitive reliability data. The "follow the trail of broken parts..." story is silly - I've been on five or six tours with literally tens of rented BMWs; yes, there was the occasional problem, but it was rare and the bikes were thrashed to within an inch of their life. I'd rate the Japanese higher in reliability too, but if all we cared about is reliability, we'd all drive Accords and Camrys.

Pot calling the kettle black.

- Mark
Old 03-04-2010, 05:17 PM   #1767
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev
...and the Suzuki VStrom is set to be discontinued.
A rumor that we've been hearing for at least the last four or five years.

- Mark
Old 03-04-2010, 08:48 PM   #1768
larryboy
Leisurely Liar

Oddometer: 13,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev
The real dual-sport guys, like real supermoto guys, are not well catered for, but they'll make-do anyway. Smal niche, high passion.

Yeah, we're pretty much left out..I look at new bikes and start thinking of a way to put a carbuerator on them.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:15 PM   #1769
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,201
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
And the other side is just as irritated at you. No one has the moral high ground here. Nobody has any definitive reliability data. The "follow the trail of broken parts..." story is silly - I've been on five or six tours with literally tens of rented BMWs; yes, there was the occasional problem, but it was rare and the bikes were thrashed to within an inch of their life. I'd rate the Japanese higher in reliability too, but if all we cared about is reliability, we'd all drive Accords and Camrys.

Pot calling the kettle black.

- Mark
Well, if the other side is indeed irritated by me... Got the perfect solution for that: What the heck are you doing on a NON- BMW topic? Arn't there enough BMW related topics here at ADVrider?

I never visit a BMW topic here because the bike and brand doesn't interest me. So: I won't be irritated by the postings there.

But look at all (possible) BMW competitors and there they are, the BMW riders. It is their good right - this is an open forum in first place.

Back2topic. Yam Super Tenere!

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:25 AM   #1770
Guy Jinbaiquerre
Monorail Conductor

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Well, if the other side is indeed irritated by me... Got the perfect solution for that: What the heck are you doing on a NON- BMW topic? Arn't there enough BMW related topics here at ADVrider?

I never visit a BMW topic here because the bike and brand doesn't interest me. So: I won't be irritated by the postings there.

But look at all (possible) BMW competitors and there they are, the BMW riders. It is their good right - this is an open forum in first place.

Back2topic. Yam Super Tenere!
Yeah!

So, do you think Yamaha is aiming it to compete more with the GS, or the GS Adventure?

Guy Jinbaiquerre is online now   Reply With Quote