Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2013, 12:56 PM   #17746
WestVirginia
Well spoke'n

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevhunts View Post
Might be a silly question but did you check the nut under that rubber boot?
No silly questions here mate. Although some people do moan at my questions as if they were born on a motorcycle. Must have been a tough delivery for the mom.

Anyway, I actually didn't notice a nut under the rubber boot.

If you pull down the rubber boot, my plastic is partially broken where the mirror meets the stem. The front part of the plastic is in tact, the rear half is broken and I just came in from apply the Gorilla Glue formula that lists "plastic" as the first bonding surface. Should be right as rain tomorrow.

Thanks for the tip on the nut however. I'll take a look at what it does before I "re-boot" tomorrow.

Just kidding about people moaning. The folks here are great. I've actually bought a fair amount of goodies based on what they post here.
WestVirginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:07 PM   #17747
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestVirginia View Post
No silly questions here mate. Although some people do moan at my questions as if they were born on a motorcycle. Must have been a tough delivery for the mom.

Anyway, I actually didn't notice a nut under the rubber boot.

If you pull down the rubber boot, my plastic is partially broken where the mirror meets the stem. The front part of the plastic is in tact, the rear half is broken and I just came in from apply the Gorilla Glue formula that lists "plastic" as the first bonding surface. Should be right as rain tomorrow.

Thanks for the tip on the nut however. I'll take a look at what it does before I "re-boot" tomorrow.

Just kidding about people moaning. The folks here are great. I've actually bought a fair amount of goodies based on what they post here.
That bit of plastic you just Gorilla glued should be able to be pulled up to reveal the lock nut underneath. It's the lock nut that secures the mirror stalk to the mount. The mirror stalk itself screws into the mount only so far and you have to leave the stalk loose so it can point in the right direction, sideways. Then holding the stalk you tighten the lock nut to keep the mirror from rotating.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:23 PM   #17748
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
I have a bunch of teenager early adult kids that text me with their new age shorthand. I try not to be affected. My bad. :)
OMG LOL ROFLMAO Know wot U mean.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:52 PM   #17749
Buckeye56
Batoutahelius

Oddometer: 202
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6 View Post
Sorry to change the subject, but here is a video of the S-10 going through the dirt road in the Valley of the Gods Utah while I was on a trip last week from Calgary Alberta to Santa Fe NM and back.
That was very cool! Thanks for sharing. I hope to take my Tenere on trips like that someday.

Trying is the first step towards failure.
Buckeye56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:24 PM   #17750
RideDualSport.com
TPB all the way

Oddometer: 1,450
I traded in my 2011 Ninja 1000 and came home with a 2013 Super Tenere. The Ninja 1000 was a superb motorcycle, it fit me well, handled super and the motor was a real torque monster. However, after 13,500 miles on it, I came to the conclusion that I needed more long distance comfort, the ability to ride gravel roads and room for a passenger and luggage. I agonized between the Super Tenere (ST) and Moto Guzzi Stelvio, and briefly considered the Triumph Explorer.
I even thought about going a more economical route with the extremely capable DL 650 or DL 1000.

The Stelvio gets rave reviews for its long distance comfort due to its wind protection, seat and suspension. Plus it handles really well in the tight twisty mountain roads.
However, it was going to be more expensive than the ST and I was offered $1000 less for my Ninja trade-in compared to the Yamaha dealer. The fit and finish of the Stelvio is really high, and it exudes quality - despite its slightly agricultural looks. I am sure the Stelvio would have been a very interesting and exciting bike to own. But then I started thinking about how I already have an interesting and exciting bike - the Buell S3. Did I really want to be thousands of miles from home on a remote forest road with all that Italian character and what may come with it? Meaning, I have had my share of engine sensors going bad, stuff vibrating loose and what-not, and don't want to be worrying about having a "Buell Moment" on the Moto Guzzi. Admittedly, our 2004 Ducati Monster was perfect, and the last Guzzi I owned was in the 1980's so I don't have current experience on a new Guzzi to draw from.

The Stelvio pushed all the right emotional buttons for me, however I needed to take into account my potential new bike's off road manners, and maintenance requirements.
I have to admit to being influenced by the 1000 Ninja when it comes to Japanese motorcycle reliability and performance, which is why I went with the ST.
I expect to be on very long high mileage runs through forest service roads - the smoother the better, but I would tackle some two-track if needed on the ST.
The ST has very good dirt manners because the motor is very tractable and the weight distribution is very even between the front and rear wheels. Plus I understand that its long swing arm helps in the dirt. Also. the KLR X 2 nature of the ST motor appeals to me and the good dirt handling fits well with the motors power delivery. Plus the standing up riding position felt very natural to me.
The Stelvio's 6,000 mile valve adjustment intervals kind of wore on me and the Yamaha's 26,000 valve check interval won me over. Plus the ST's water cooling and good engine heat management were important to me in our Texas weather.

My brother, checkin it out.

Hmmmmmmmm....yes there is a motor in there somewhere!

Alaska Deep Adventure

RideDualSport.com screwed with this post 05-18-2013 at 07:47 PM
RideDualSport.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:42 PM   #17751
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideDualSport.com View Post
So the KLR nature...
. That KLR thing again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideDualSport.com View Post
and the good dirt handling fits well with the motor. Plus the standing up riding position felt very natural to me.
It does. It's an honest bike. Not a pretender. At least you seem to appreciate why some design decisions were made...

That gray looks the bomb.

Congrats, Now you should try the ECU Unleashed reflash. I have read nothing but good things so far.. It sort of makes it the MT01 of adventure bikes allegedly.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
Old 05-18-2013, 07:09 PM   #17752
Red Dust
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
The grey looks really good, congrats to get a really good bike!

Graham, if I send my ECU to ECU unleashed in Sydney (think it is there?) how long time can I expect until it is back in Brisbane?
Send them an e-mail but no response, are they any good?
Want to deal with great people for upgrades to my special blue ST.
Cheers.
Red Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:35 PM   #17753
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 951
Ridedualsport,

That was a really nice point by point process to making your decision.
I think I agree with you completely. :)

Nice looking bike too. Just can't believe mine was ever that shiny.
Those wheels, spokes, and exhaust pipes are NOT gonna look like that long. Least not if you ride in weather or off road.

But you now have pics to remember.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:14 PM   #17754
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dust View Post
The grey looks really good, congrats to get a really good bike!

Graham, if I send my ECU to ECU unleashed in Sydney (think it is there?) how long time can I expect until it is back in Brisbane?
Send them an e-mail but no response, are they any good?
Want to deal with great people for upgrades to my special blue ST.
Cheers.
I was going to contact them after I did a bit more research. So if they aren't responding that sounds like an ECU Unleashed kind of thing doesn't it?

I may have to go down personally and knock on the door or something.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:26 PM   #17755
Red Dust
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
Maybe ECU Unleashed are just too busy, probably better to give them a call.
My bike budget is finished anyway but maybe in the future I will do the ECU.
Bike getting better and better, first service tomorrow. ACD skid plate on Tuesday or Wednesday. El cheapo ($35) home made shorty later next week.
Will get pannier rack soon for my TraX panniers (left over from my old DL650).
Got the Altrider bigfoot and their fantastic gear rack already.
Got the Manic Salamander Throttle lock which weigh 1+ pound each side (still needs to be installed).
Will see if the air screw and CO adjustment will help, might do the CJM soon.
I believe this will be the best bike I ever had during my 30 years and 19 bikes once the vibes are sorted, getting less though.
Red Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:36 PM   #17756
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dust View Post
Maybe ECU Unleashed are just too busy, probably better to give them a call.

I believe this will be the best bike I ever had during my 30 years and 19 bikes once the vibes are sorted, getting less though.

If you don't stop adding stuff you are going to NEED the flash

Old 05-18-2013, 10:22 PM   #17757
DocAxeYarYar
RideDualSport.com

Oddometer: 772
ST Lust

Wow, that ST rocks. I'm RideDualSport.coms brother, and seeing as we are twins, I guess that means I better start figuring out a plot for white ST!

I wont be able to stand it when RDS is on an epic adventure riding in comfort on the ST and I'm trapped in the house!
Old 05-19-2013, 09:57 AM   #17758
WestVirginia
Well spoke'n

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
That bit of plastic you just Gorilla glued should be able to be pulled up to reveal the lock nut underneath.
Shhh, not so loud please.

In a whisper ---> If the mirror doesn't stay in place, I will try to come up with a way to convince the wife that the only real fix for the rear view mirror is an ECU reflash.
WestVirginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:16 AM   #17759
Space Traveler
explorer

Oddometer: 153
Great choice. I Love the color :-)

It is a great thing you took several pictures of the engine because it is hard to bring it back that clean after few rides.
Space Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:40 AM   #17760
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buell78753 View Post
Wow, that ST rocks. I'm RideDualSport.coms brother, and seeing as we are twins, I guess that means I better start figuring out a plot for white ST!

I wont be able to stand it when RDS is on an epic adventure riding in comfort on the ST and I'm trapped in the house!

Just give in to the force. No use fighting it. :)