Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2013, 08:38 PM   #17821
Snake Doctor
Crazy Bearded F***er

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_404 View Post
I did hear it rides very stable and by the looks of it, they really put a lot of time in that new traction control system.
Wonder how it handles corners?
By the size of that flatbed, probably not very well I can say, after owning several Beemers, and nary a problem, I must have been the one lucky owner.

IBA# 55955
Snake Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:01 AM   #17822
BSTARD
Mmmmm...shiny

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
I have been riding around for two years with one on and not a problem. **

**This is not meant to be advice of any kind and I wouldn't want to give you the impression that it is not a major terrorist act or anything. Just stating my experience. Obviously if it is covered in cracks, mud and bugs it may have an effect on the light output. "Only suitable for off road use" translates to "YAMAHA didn't go to the expense of certifying it"

Old 05-23-2013, 02:09 AM   #17823
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dust View Post
Just checked the law here in Queensland, Australia regarding head lamp protectors and it says as long as it does not affect light intensity on high or low beam they should be ok, anyone that knows if it does affect the light intensity before I unwrap and install it all (Yamaha original)?
Cheers.
It does not affect the headlight intensity. The reason why it's labeled offroad only is because it reflects quite a bit of light back onto the windshield at night. Not a problem if you're riding in town, but depending on the rider it could be distracting/annoying and possibly impact your night vision in unlit, pitch dark areas at night.

If I had to buy again, I'd go for the Cee Bailey unit. It sits a lot closer to the headlight so no reflection onto the windshield. But the Yami unit does look cool and is easy enough to remove when not needed.

twinrider screwed with this post 05-23-2013 at 02:33 AM
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:23 AM   #17824
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSTARD View Post
It works better on the bike...

That tablet looks like it gets a hard life

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 05-23-2013 at 04:29 AM
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:31 AM   #17825
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerchic View Post
My name needs to be Non-beemerchic now. Traded in the kool-aid for an S-10. Seeing that pic just reminds me why.
Hi Exbeemerchic. Welcome aboard. Hope you have a few miles of smiles ahead.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
Old 05-23-2013, 03:14 AM   #17826
McBoab
Fast side of farty

Oddometer: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dust View Post
Just checked the law here in Queensland, Australia regarding head lamp protectors and it says as long as it does not affect light intensity on high or low beam they should be ok, anyone that knows if it does affect the light intensity before I unwrap and install it all (Yamaha original)?
Cheers.
I take mine off if I know I'm going to be riding in the dark of night on unlit roads as it does reduce the light on the road enough to be a problem for me.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:03 AM   #17827
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,481
So I have put around 2800 miles on my new Tenere over the last few weeks. I have covered all of the typical riding areas and types I do in a season. Secondary state roads right on down to trails this bike just eats everything up. It does everything as well or better than my KLR or DL1000. The only downfall I have seen with this bike and my riding skills is mud..but hell even my KLR didn't love that. I am amazed at how well the bike handles on 2 track, unmaintained roads and rocky trails. I really had no problem keeping up with a couple of 800's, KLR's and a 950SE.

Probably one of the only complaints I have is the stock seat is not my friend..In 2 weeks I will do one of the bigger rides I do every spring, a small rally a local rider host here in Maine. We will be riding from southern Maine to the Gaspe and back in 4 days...I guess some 1200 miles. Should be a good chance to try the Tenere on some longer days of open road riding.

I have been running the K60's on the bike for 2300 miles or so...not looking like I will get much past 5000 at the rate they are disappearing What is the average you guys are seeing out of these?

I guess all in all I would have to say I love this bike...and know I haven't had my ECU re-flashed..yet

PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:28 AM   #17828
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRCRZR View Post

It looks like you have the new mind control module installed..

Old 05-23-2013, 06:24 AM   #17829
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Not to change this delightful topic, but I did just borrow this pic from the Closed Caption thread.

Feel free to discuss.

Nice bike, whats that blue thing under the wheels.

So, Pluric, do we know why it is on the flatbed, I would love to know, just to gloat if nothing else.

Anyway, I do have some of my own tailes of woe (ish)

Whilst I was camping I decided to check the bike over and found these: Two spokes with the heads broken off. I hasten to add that these are not Yamaha ones, they are aftermarket stainless steel ones and I had probably overtightened them in fear of them coming loose. They are now replaced but I am running out of spares. Needless to say, I have backed a few off that sounded tight. Doh

I also though you may be interested in the K60 Scout tyre wear so far.
These are with the bike fully over loaded and 2 up (so much so I have a stronger rear spring) and I am keeping to the speed limits with steady throttle. They have covered just over 4000 miles and the rear is about 1/2 done, the front about 1/3 done. The front is feathered somewhat and has become very noisy.

Old Git Ray screwed with this post 05-23-2013 at 06:41 AM
Old Git Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:52 AM   #17830
TH
There and Here

Oddometer: 912
Quote:

I have been running the K60's on the bike for 2300 miles or so...not looking like I will get much past 5000 at the rate they are disappearing What is the average you guys are seeing out of these?

I guess all in all I would have to say I love this bike...and know I haven't had my ECU re-flashed..yet
Hi I'm TH and I love my Tenere. Welcome to the madness. But it is OK, we have cleric Pluric to set us straight.

K60's I've never seen such differences in wear. Dirt_Dad gets about 6k out of his. I have 12k on mine and they still have life left. Sail2xxs who has over 80k miles on his has gotten almost 30k out of a set. From my limited review of the postings, it appears the K60's range from about 6k to 28k in mileage. If you do a lot of hard core dirt, spinning the tires, engaging TC, it will be on the low side. If you commute a lot on smooth roads and drive smoothly, you can get over 20k miles out of them. And a big YMMV (pun intended) is invoked. The wear does seem to slow down, once you get it to the halfway point. In Old Git Ray's photo, my tires looked similar to that at 8.5k miles. But most of my riding is commuting with light loads.
NOVA Tag-o-Rama Map
TH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:57 AM   #17831
pluric
Banned

Oddometer: 16,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post
Nice bike, whats that blue thing under the wheels.

So, Pluric, do we know why it is on the flatbed, I would love to know, just to gloat if nothing else.
No idea. Just a photo that was posted on another thread.

Looks like you are still having fun. Please feel free to continue to rub our noses
in your retirement joy while we slave away for the man.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:06 AM   #17832
pluric
Banned

Quote:

Here's mine with 6,500 on it. I've never gotten so much mileage out of a tire.
Put another set on.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:38 AM   #17833
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Here's mine with 6,500 on it. I've never gotten so much mileage out of a tire.
Put another set on.
Your problem isn't tyre wear, its avoiding boulders.

Oh, and dodgy web sites
Old 05-23-2013, 07:59 AM   #17834
pluric
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post
Your problem isn't tyre wear, its avoiding boulders.

Oh, and dodgy web sites
Oh yeah, thanks for those web links!
Old 05-23-2013, 07:59 AM   #17835
eemsreno
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 899
Is this a crack in the rim?
eemsreno is offline   Reply With Quote