Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2010, 07:55 PM   #1801
earthroamer
Stuck in Pindadesh

Oddometer: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old fart
Rumour has it the West to East straight through the middle of Australia is the next one, with a TBA celebrity (Moneys on Russel Crow ).
If that's the case, a 600lb pig would be the last thing I'd want. But then they're used to that.
earthroamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:09 PM   #1802
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3B
Where do you get the notion i did?

I specifically took the opportunity to get quotes from Aussi homeground, just to underpin this kind of bulloni...

As stated i quoted an Australian biksite (bikes.drive.com.au), and took even the precaution to select the non-ABS 800GS, the ABS version is 17.250 Aus$ making the choise argumentation even more un-understandable.

Just place them next to eachother en spot the difference, an XTZ will survive the harshest handling, having a fram which can even cope with a spill with panniers without bending its rearframe, you better don't try that with the beemer, it bends rearframes like al-dente spaghetti
In Australia, it is necessary to pay "on road costs" in addition to the unit cost of the motorcycle. These costs include registration, insurance, third-party insurance, stamp duty, and dealer delivery fees. Depending on your state, these add between $1500 and $4000 to the list price of the bike.

However, since I only live here and you've been to a website no one's heard of, you must know more than me about my own country and what I just paid for a bike less than six weeks ago.

Dickhead.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:11 PM   #1803
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,186
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:13 PM   #1804
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by raider
However, since I only live here and you've been to a website no one's heard of, you must know more than me about my own country and what I just paid for a bike less than six weeks ago.

Dickhead.
Dickhead yerself... I'm Australian but haven't lived there for 10 years, BUT I knew of the website that you say "no one's heard of" in the late 90's. It's run by Fairfax, the largest newspaper conglomerate in the country.

What's your point? That you paid more, or less, than what's quoted on the web site? And how does that make R3B a dickhead? IF you paid more than RRP, who's the dickhead?

Trevor
Old 03-05-2010, 09:53 PM   #1805
MOLAHS
Sisyphus

Oddometer: 1,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom
Dickhead yerself... I'm Australian but haven't lived there for 10 years, BUT I knew of the website that you say "no one's heard of" in the late 90's. It's run by Fairfax, the largest newspaper conglomerate in the country.

What's your point? That you paid more, or less, than what's quoted on the web site? And how does that make R3B a dickhead? IF you paid more than RRP, who's the dickhead?

Trevor
I believe the reason he had not heard of the site is that it is now virtually unknown. I found the site which does not list any BMW used bikes whilst bikesales and bikepoint list aroud 500. Ducati had 2 listings whilst in bikesales there were 450+. Normally BMW dealers in Australia do not discount new models that are in demand. And the 800GS is on a waiting list. The base price is $16750 with additional costs as per "raiders" estimates. He is basically correct in what he states.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:27 AM   #1806
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by raider
In Australia, it is necessary to pay "on road costs" in addition to the unit cost of the motorcycle. These costs include registration, insurance, third-party insurance, stamp duty, and dealer delivery fees. Depending on your state, these add between $1500 and $4000 to the list price of the bike.
Ah, and you have evaded thoze taxes with your beemer?

Or do those costs just ad up to every sold bike its price?

As stated earlier, be fair in comparing, don't bias one side or another on incoherent grounds, but on facts. I could give lots of Quotes from other sites, stating the same as stated earlier, eand you know thattoo.

It's quite simple...

If you don't like the Super Tenere, why in hells name are you reading here, that's pure sadomasochism, please yourself and have a good day in one of the many many "ooh aahh i've go myself an expensive gizmobike" threads concerning the F800GS,but beware there are a lot of horror stories about seizures, collapsing backwheels etcetera , if you are afaid of such stories you better stay here :-) (i'f you grasp what imean by that...)

ANd now for something completely different: I've been invited to Schiphol Rijk, to have a real life taster of the Tenere !
(many thanks to Jeroen Termaat making it possible)

Riding tips: . -----www.LazyMotorbike.eu-----
R3B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 03:28 AM   #1807
Sylvia Stuurman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR
I went to Syvia's website. Really nice stories about motorcycles. I read it all. Although she criticizes BMWs, she also talks fondly of them. And I did not feel she no longer has BMWs because of any BMW problems. She mentions that it was because the r1100gs was too tall and heavy for her, since after the accident with the r1200gs. For those same reasons, I doubt she would be inclined to ride the new Super Tenere.
Maybe it's time for me to answer ;-)

I do speak very fondly of BMW's, that's true. Especially of the 1100GS. But I have also been very disappointed with the 1200GS: leaks, very rough engine, problems with the electronics. Far enough problems to know that I would never buy another 1200GS.

As for the 1100's, the problem is that they are all so very different: there is a chance that you buy a very good one; there is an equal chance to end up with a bike with which I will never be friends.

You are right about the fact that after the accident, I was not able to handle such a heavy bike. At this moment, I would be able to, but I have been getting used to ride a light-weight, one cylinder bike: I don't long for a heavier bike.

So I will stick to my 660 Tenere, but it is also true that I would not go back to BMW if I would long for a two-cylinder GS-like bike.
And I will certainly testride the new SuperTenere!
Sylvia Stuurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:52 AM   #1808
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,544
All bullshit aside, I think the Super Tonne will be a great motorcycle, just not the one I was hoping for.

With the ST, you can be assured that every bike will be virtually equal in reliability and performance, something I agree latter BMWs have had trouble with.
In saying this, the ST is most possibly a "safer" buy for those new to Adv bikes and those who have been unlucky enough to have had a "less than perfect" BMW.

Lifes a risk, that's what you take regardless of what you buy!!

For its intended market, I hope the ST is a roaring success, and if it forces BMW to lift its game, we all win!!
And there's no place I'd rather be!!
Bigem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:29 AM   #1809
Guy Jinbaiquerre
Monorail Conductor

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigem
All bullshit aside, I think the Super Tonne will be a great motorcycle, just not the one I was hoping for.
Heh, that's a good nickname for this bike because of its weight: the Super Tonner!
Guy Jinbaiquerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:59 AM   #1810
cristi-mic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Will you please stop complaining about the weight ?
261 kg full with luggage and accessories means around 230kg naked and probably 210kg dry. That's a few kgs more than an Africa Twin or Super Tenere 750, and NOBODY who owns such a bike complains about the weight. Add 110 HP and a lot of torque compared to the old 750 and you get a MUCH better bike (at least on paper, that's what are we talking about).
Old 03-06-2010, 08:17 AM   #1811
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3B
gizmobike" threads concerning the F800GS,but beware there are a lot of horror stories about seizures, collapsing backwheels etcetera
Hey Ernst,
Where did you find this info on the F800GS?
Thanks,
Lion
Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:18 AM   #1812
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Thanks Sylvia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvia Stuurman
Maybe it's time for me to answer ;-)

I do speak very fondly of BMW's, that's true. Especially of the 1100GS. But I have also been very disappointed with the 1200GS: leaks, very rough engine, problems with the electronics. Far enough problems to know that I would never buy another 1200GS.

As for the 1100's, the problem is that they are all so very different: there is a chance that you buy a very good one; there is an equal chance to end up with a bike with which I will never be friends.

You are right about the fact that after the accident, I was not able to handle such a heavy bike. At this moment, I would be able to, but I have been getting used to ride a light-weight, one cylinder bike: I don't long for a heavier bike.

So I will stick to my 660 Tenere, but it is also true that I would not go back to BMW if I would long for a two-cylinder GS-like bike.
And I will certainly testride the new SuperTenere!
Old 03-06-2010, 08:19 AM   #1813
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

It is a pig. I doubt you will be able to ride it at 210kg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristi-mic
Will you please stop complaining about the weight ?
261 kg full with luggage and accessories means around 230kg naked and probably 210kg dry. That's a few kgs more than an Africa Twin or Super Tenere 750, and NOBODY who owns such a bike complains about the weight. Add 110 HP and a lot of torque compared to the old 750 and you get a MUCH better bike (at least on paper, that's what are we talking about).
Old 03-06-2010, 08:57 AM   #1814
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Well the big plusses of the tenere are the extremely long and light Cardan, and the for modern times long stroke. The bore stroke ratio is 0.811 compared to 0.734 for the TDM engine, and the extremely oversquare GS Twin with its highrevvin' 0.723.

But as allways, the proof is in the pudding, not in dry numbers, allthough the numbers pack a virtual punch, hopefully they've been able to put the extreem grunty lowdown thrusth ofthe MT-01 into this rotated V-twin :-)

Old 03-06-2010, 09:00 AM   #1815
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR
Hey Ernst,
Where did you find this info on the F800GS?
In the Dutch, German and Englisch GS lists i frequent, and in Das Motorrad, MO und PS german magazines, i'm sort of read-a-holic were it concerns bikedata...

But would it be possible to keep this a somewhat more Super tenere thread, there are more than enough Beemerrelated threads to meet your demand for GS info i think :-

R3B screwed with this post 03-06-2010 at 10:14 AM