Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2013, 06:08 AM   #18286
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post

Well, today, by some strange coincidence, my ST flamed-out leaving a stoplight (right on red turn).

This is the third time, in a year of ownership, that my bike has done that. However, this flame-out really caught me off-guard. I had tilted the bars, to start the turn, started to roll-into the throttle and release the clutch, and...BAM...engine dead. Because I had already started to lean, the engine dying put an abrupt end to any inertia, and sent all the weight to my right leg. I almost left 650+ lbs of ST laying in the intersection.
This has happened to me many times but only when I wanted to take it real easy ( like when I went riding with the Harleys !) so it never really bothered me. I did however open the air screws and upped the CO and it did not seem to me to make too much difference. (It still stalled occasionally) However, now I am touring 2 up and overloaded it needed sorting.

This is why I spent an arm and a leg on a Gen 1 flash to remove restrictions and a PCV to sort the low speed fueling. Now I find that the Gen 2 sorts out the low speed problems too, possibly negating the need for the PCV. Does anyone know if this is the case ?

Old Git Ray screwed with this post 06-07-2013 at 06:27 AM
Old Git Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:10 AM   #18287
~TABASCO~
www.rideonadv.com

Oddometer: 372
Hey Ray,

We have already been playing with this to see if we can dump off the PCV... We have been doing test for the last week... It looks to us, if a customer has supporting mods and wants maximum performance, and/or wants to "fine tune" the lower RPM's you do need the PCV... This is NOT to say, people wont be happy with the Gen II.. We have had several Super Teneres at the office with supporting mods and run the Gen II with and without the PCV, and there is a noticeable (feel able) difference.. This is what we know as of now, we are still working on several new things.... They have done a great job with the Gen II in both (T) and (S). Anyone with the Gen I should switch over to the Gen II.....

Did you get your wheel yesterday ?
Old 06-07-2013, 08:12 AM   #18288
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticyclone View Post
I don't think I've ever stalled my Tenere. Seriously. From your description, I'd say something about your bike is way outside the norm.

Mine did run a lot smoother after the first air screw adjustment and throttle body sync. Nowhere near how it runs now, but smoother than out of the crate.

I agree with you; Something is definitely off. I've owned many bikes, and have always had to make some adjustments to the fueling (Over the last few years, I've noticed that most of my bikes have needed it in the idle "circuit". I guess mostly because of emissions.)

However, I have never ridden a bike that has the jerky, on/off low-speed fueling that this bike does. And, I've actually ridden a coupla' '07 990s (a bike known for its jerky throttle). My 950 had a little surging, and a sporadic "miss" of some sort. However, a little carb tinkering got it sort pretty quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
I don't even know where it is located but maybe the sensor that shuts the bike off upon
tip over is overly sensitive or loose on it's mount. I had a Suzuki SV that I put the sensor
on upside down after moving it. FI light comes on and it will not run. Any chance you noticed
a dash light come on while saving the stall dump?

This all my google fu could find.

http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/ind...?topic=7734.15

Pluric, I did not notice any light. That's not to say it wasn't there; I just don't recall seeing it.

Maybe I'll give a look at the service manual, and see if I can find the switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
I have had it die at take off...twice...both times the bike was in Sport mode.....I never seem to have an issue and less stumble in touring mode...I leave it in touring mode 90% of the time because I feel its just less jerky on shifts (probably more me than the bike) around town.

I plan on doing the TB sync and air screw when I get a down weekend....maybe next fall....

I completely agree with you. My "touring" mode isn't perfect. But, it's a shitload better than the "sport" (as far as a linear power delivery). I use it in the rain, and have learned to use it with a passenger.

Unfortunately, it's a double-edged sword. It's a dog, everywhere else. And, unlike you, I just refuse to make it my default choice. I'll either get the fueling sorted, or I'll go looking for another bike.

I'd love a 990 that's as reliable as the ST. Unfortunately, I know that bike probably doesn't exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post
This has happened to me many times but only when I wanted to take it real easy ( like when I went riding with the Harleys !) so it never really bothered me. I did however open the air screws and upped the CO and it did not seem to me to make too much difference. (It still stalled occasionally) However, now I am touring 2 up and overloaded it needed sorting.

This is why I spent an arm and a leg on a Gen 1 flash to remove restrictions and a PCV to sort the low speed fueling. Now I find that the Gen 2 sorts out the low speed problems too, possibly negating the need for the PCV. Does anyone know if this is the case ?

Ray, I appreciate you responding.

I hope you're enjoying the US. And, my offer for a Texas meal still stands.

Your dyno charts are the reason why I am taking my sweet time with the bike: why I haven't jumped-on any particular solution, just yet. They were the first time that I saw my "issues", with the bike, right there in black and white.

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:41 AM   #18289
~TABASCO~
www.rideonadv.com

I've had a few times where my big Moto X boots would get caught between the brake and the engine case. So I made up a little guard to keep that from happening again.. It works perfect !

Old 06-07-2013, 10:39 AM   #18290
simmons1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~TABASCO~ View Post

....... and/or wants to "fine tune" the lower RPM's you do need the PCV...

As much as I want to remove the PCV it looks like it is here to stay. My modded bike still surges bad enough from idle to 3K with the GEN II flash that I needed to add fuel with the PCV. It only took a little bit of extra fuel to eliminate the surging. I had to do the same thing with GEN 1 flash.

I am using and AKRO muffler, Arrow header, and K&N filter.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:46 PM   #18291
William42
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmons1 View Post
As much as I want to remove the PCV it looks like it is here to stay. My modded bike still surges bad enough from idle to 3K with the GEN II flash that I needed to add fuel with the PCV. It only took a little bit of extra fuel to eliminate the surging. I had to do the same thing with GEN 1 flash.

I am using and AKRO muffler, Arrow header, and K&N filter.
I had surging with the Akrapovic can, Arrow header and K&N air filter set up. I pulled the Arrow header, left the Akrapovic can and K&N on the bike and the surging went away. YMMV.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:06 PM   #18292
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
I keep telling myself I'm getting too old for this
kid stuff, then my natural immaturity takes over.
My new sig line.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:41 PM   #18293
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideAbout View Post
My new sig line.
Aw shucks, I'm very flattered.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:23 PM   #18294
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~TABASCO~ View Post
I've had a few times where my big Moto X boots would get caught between the brake and the engine case. So I made up a little guard to keep that from happening again.. It works perfect !
Looks very nice!
Anticyclone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:41 AM   #18295
fredz43
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
Plan to, and gonna' get that chance in about 30 pr 45 minutes!!!

Bike is prepped and ready. It's just waiting on me!

Dallara

~
Haven't heard from Dallara since this post when he was going to try out the Gen 2 flash.

Everything ok?

Hope the bike started.
fredz43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:43 AM   #18296
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredz43 View Post
Haven't heard from Dallara since this post when he was going to try out the Gen 2 flash.

Everything ok?

Hope the bike started.
He can't type and euphorically laugh at the same time. He'll calm down soon.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:47 AM   #18297
~TABASCO~
www.rideonadv.com

, again...
Old 06-08-2013, 07:29 AM   #18298
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Right now I picture the scene at Dallara's house as one of him looking like this
whistling Zippity-do-dah dancing by his wife giving her an ass slap/goose combo
with the same affection Jaumev has putting a new sticker on his bike
and her wondering "What's got into that man?"

He goes into the garage comes out again with a jump heel click (no cane)
and pronounces "Honey! Let's book that cruise you were talking about".
"Isn't it a beautiful day?".

He's going to be like the seniors in Cocoon that the alien eggs gave new life to.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:26 AM   #18299
LostViking
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 913
ST Questions

Alright Super Tenere folks,

I am in the market for a new Big Dirt Pig, Been on a R1150RS for a while! And while great on the road, I'm in the market for something a little dirt worthy.

Have had the hots for the Big T since it's inception. Actually went and saw one at a dealer meeting. But the gods conspired against me, and I needed a bike, couldn't wait for delayed delivery,

Anyhow that brings us to now. In the market again. Went and tried a R1200GSWC and to be honest, I was vary impressed. They did a good job with it. However I would still like to try a Tenere. I think the slightly lower tech level might suit me better in the long run.

Having a hard time getting some, or any seat time for that matter on a Big Ten. And it would seem no one wants to even look at the RS for trade. A local BM dealer is offering me $1,300.00 more than I have it listed in the Flea for.

While I have not read through this entire thread page for page, i have been reviweing it since it's start and I am a member on the Tenere forum as well.

Maybe I have just become used to dealing with Max, but I was in the U.P. last week, in Escanaba to be exact. I went into a Yamaha dealer the would have been 1/10th of a mile from my potential new job. They had a white Ten all decked with bags. I asked about a test ride, and was told it was sold. I asked about the next one and the guy told me he probably wasn't going to order another on. How do you expect to sell bikes?

Given my extreme northern location the only dealer close to me is also a harley dealer and when asked if they could get a white one, I was told, "It's real easy to get a harley, but I don't know about a Yamaha" WTF?

Just venting a bit, and wanting to hear how much you guys love your Teneres.

Also not new to the Big Pigs, had a '94 GS, a '06 GS which I didn't care for, a '05.5 950, and so on. I need a bike not afraid of dirt roads, some fire trails, an ocasional stupid trip up or down some trail I have no business being on. But also the ability to make a trip to places like the U.P. as I did this week, with back to back high mile days. And an occasional two up trip.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, and if anyone in the Plattsburgh, NY, area wants to let me test ride the Super T is's lunch on me. And a chance to try my RS.

Thanks,

LostViking screwed with this post 06-08-2013 at 08:35 AM
LostViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:45 AM   #18300
Blue Mule
Persistent Slacker

Oddometer: 1,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostViking View Post
Alright Super Tenere folks,

Maybe I have just become used to dealing with Max, but I was in the U.P. last week, in Escanaba to be exact. I went into a Yamaha dealer the would have been 1/10th of a mile from my potential new job. They had a white Ten all decked with bags. I asked about a test ride, and was told it was sold. I asked about the next one and the guy told me he probably wasn't going to order another on. How do you expect to sell bikes?

Given my extreme northern location the only dealer close to me is also a harley dealer and when asked if they could get a white one, I was told, "It's real easy to get a harley, but I don't know about a Yamaha" WTF?

IF...you get back over to Escanaba..swing down to Green Bay, and team motorsports. they are very good about test rides and easy to deal with. they will also take beemers off your hands.