ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #18286
William42
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaumev View Post

Poor ladies

pluric gets his ass kicked.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:47 PM   #18287
Red Dust
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 463
Anyone tried the Vibranators with an aftermarket handlebar?
Thinking about the Flexx bars from Fasst and Vibranators inserts plus 1" additional riser (Flexx handlebar is already a bit higher than stock). Any idea if this will reduce vibes and if it would help against sleeping hands and strange feeling in the shoulder blades.
2 days ago I got really sore neck/shoulder blades after my ride (only 1 hour ride) still very sore, thinking it might be the angle/height of the stock handlebar that cause some/all of my trouble.
I know the Flexx handlebars are VERY expensive but misery/days off work is expensive too, might be the cure or at least reduce some of the issues?
Sorry to interfere with my issues and have a pause between all the fun with master Pluric`s escapades (very enjoyable though!).
Red Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:19 PM   #18288
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dust View Post
Anyone tried the Vibranators with an aftermarket handlebar?
Thinking about the Flexx bars from Fasst and Vibranators inserts plus 1" additional riser (Flexx handlebar is already a bit higher than stock). Any idea if this will reduce vibes and if it would help against sleeping hands and strange feeling in the shoulder blades.
2 days ago I got really sore neck/shoulder blades after my ride (only 1 hour ride) still very sore, thinking it might be the angle/height of the stock handlebar that cause some/all of my trouble.
I know the Flexx handlebars are VERY expensive but misery/days off work is expensive too, might be the cure or at least reduce some of the issues?
Sorry to interfere with my issues and have a pause between all the fun with master Pluric`s escapades (very enjoyable though!).
Don't know if it would reduce the vibration you are feeling or not. But it was exactly the shoulder blade pain that the Flex Bars eliminated for me. And although my hands didn't ache, my throttle thumb would get numb if I didn't consciously relax my angled grip that the exaggerated sweep of the oem bars forced on me.

Keep in mind that there are cheaper "standard" bars with very similar dimensions\bends of the Flex bars. You could save some $$$.

But the Flex bars are quality stuff. And they were designed specifically for the Tenere with some help from real off-road riders. For my ergonomic desires, they nailed it!
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:59 PM   #18289
Red Dust
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 463
Maybe best to bite the bullet and go for the best straight away and get the Flexx, suppose it can be installed on future bikes?
Looks like a piece of art!
Cheers!
Red Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:15 AM   #18290
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dust View Post
Anyone tried the Adventure Spec Magadan soft panniers for their XT1200?
They seem a bit large, can I still carry a pillion?
Will have my SW-Motech side carriers to make it all solid.
Got the TraX cases but they are very large and sometimes the soft panniers can come in handy.
Looked at Andy Strapz Expedition & Enduristan Monsoon but these Magadan seems to be better in every regard except the price.
Cheers.
I have seen photos of Teneres set up like this, it's been done, but no personal experience with a pillion on it.

As for the handlebars, have you tried gel grips or gloves? I generally go for the easy stuff first. On the bikes I've changed bars for, going to a straighter bar helped by lessening the wrist bend.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:48 AM   #18291
luni
Non-artic explorer

Oddometer: 1,081
I got the Rox one up one back risers and a crampbuster and that made the stock bars passable. Being able to relax my grip on the bars I know there's to much sweep but not having to tightly grip the bars makes it a non-issue. I've done all day slab without complaint.

Also replacing the OEM windscreen to get some better wind protection helped my posture on the bike a lot on long rides.

While we all know the factory bars were designed around a man with 1 foot wide shoulders and 2 broken wrists there are other factors that give the bike a huge leg up ergonomically.
luni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:21 AM   #18292
Beasty2
Beasty2

Oddometer: 16
Interesting Issues With GS 1200's

This is a general response to all the posts on the Tenere post regarding GS 1200's and their apparent weaknesses.......
I am on my 3rd GS ADventure. 1150 GSA which I crashed an wrote off due to pilot error on dirt (30,000km's). Only issue with the bike was that I did shear a drive shaft (the koosh drive let go). My 2006 GSA was magic however the clutch slave did start to leak at 50,000km's. I did a total of 68,000km on this bike including central Australia and a couple of Eastern Creek track days. I am now riding a 2010 GSA with 19,000km's on the clock and I have had an issue. The indicator cancel button had a funny feel.

I ride with other GS riders and yes we have had issues with our bikes, BUT if I had to go bush and cover long distances over unknown terrain there is only one bike I would ride..... The GSA.

The Super Tenere is a great bike, just not as great as a GS.

Take a look at what I ride @ http://www.bikepics.com/members/unrealr1/
Beasty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:29 AM   #18293
luni
Non-artic explorer

Oddometer: 1,081
And the maintenance cost/time to keep it that reliable was...?

I've got a DRZ that gets maintenance when I'm a bored and I think about it. A friend has a KTM mx bike that he services religiously. Neither of them have component failures. That does not make them equally reliable.
luni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:57 AM   #18294
Whorepedo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostViking View Post
Also not new to the Big Pigs, had a '94 GS, a '06 GS which I didn't care for, a '05.5 950, and so on.
HA -I've got a nearly identical history. 06 GS and 05.5 KTM 950ADV.

I loved my 06 GS and the Tenere was very similar to it, IMO. The Tenere feels like its got a little more pep in its step. The GS handled itself better in mountain curves and the KTM was better in the dirt - but the ST is almost as good as both in both departments. I'd say its a really good mix of these two bikes.

...just my $.02
Old 06-10-2013, 05:08 AM   #18295
simmons1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beasty2 View Post

I ride with other GS riders and yes we have had issues with our bikes, BUT if I had to go bush and cover long distances over unknown terrain there is only one bike I would ride..... The GSA.

Then it looks like you are in the wrong thread and be trolling in GSpot
Old 06-10-2013, 05:31 AM   #18296
LostViking
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whorepedo View Post
HA -I've got a nearly identical history. 06 GS and 05.5 KTM 950ADV.

I loved my 06 GS and the Tenere was very similar to it, IMO. The Tenere feels like its got a little more pep in its step. The GS handled itself better in mountain curves and the KTM was better in the dirt - but the ST is almost as good as both in both departments. I'd say its a really good mix of these two bikes.

...just my $.02

Thanks for the comparison.

LV
Old 06-10-2013, 06:02 AM   #18297
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,632
Quote:
This is a general response to all the posts on the Tenere post regarding GS 1200's and their apparent weaknesses.......
I am on my 3rd GS ADventure. 1150 GSA which I crashed an wrote off due to pilot error on dirt (30,000km's). Only issue with the bike was that I did shear a drive shaft (the koosh drive let go). My 2006 GSA was magic however the clutch slave did start to leak at 50,000km's. I did a total of 68,000km on this bike including central Australia and a couple of Eastern Creek track days. I am now riding a 2010 GSA with 19,000km's on the clock and I have had an issue. The indicator cancel button had a funny feel.

Wow! Thanks for your stunning revelations!

Why don't you get back to us when you put some actual distance on those bikes, m'kay? Especially that last one, 3 years and 11k miles? That's not very many trips to starbucks

What you seen to have missed is that while we poke fun at the GS and GS riders (quite a few of whom now own Tenere's), we don't generally go and shit in the Gspot to do it.

Anticyclone screwed with this post 06-10-2013 at 06:15 AM
Anticyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:10 AM   #18298
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,929
Quote:

pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:29 AM   #18299
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,319
Quote:

I think there are a bunch of great bikes out there right now. They are all different. If you think the GS is right for you then that is great. a GS is just one bike among many. Sorry but that is all it is. Just another variation on the theme.

If you consider that everything has to be just like a GS then the GS wins by default, because nothing is like the GS.

Nothing is like the Super Tenere either. And if that suits me better then nothing is as good as the Super Tenere.

Great for me.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:49 AM   #18300
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,982
Talking The rumors of my...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredz43 View Post
Haven't heard from Dallara since this post when he was going to try out the Gen 2 flash.

Everything ok?

Hope the bike started.

Everything's great, grand, and glorious down here in beautiful South Texas, Fred. Thanks for your asking.

And yes, my raggedy ol' Super Tenere started fine... Never been anything hard about that!

And IMHO Beemers are great if you don't ride much and/or either spend lots of time at the dealer or wrenchin', wrenchin', wrenchin' yourself. All that costs a lot on numerous levels.

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists office. - Unknown

'Cos it's easier to try than to prove it can't be done, and it's easier to stay than to turn around and run. - Justin Hayward
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote