Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2010, 04:20 PM   #1861
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm
I don't know where you get that nonsense,

at off idle speeds, over rocky terrain will throttle control be an issue.
If you say it yourself, *how* can it be nonsense?

I've ridden them both enough to give a wellbalanced opinion, and anyone who wants may differ off-course :-)

We even dedicated apage to it... The F650 and its brother

I'f you really want to experience the diference in good feulling, and perfect feulling, go and test drive an XTR first and an XTZ second, same engine both almost same Wheels etc, but WHAT a difference good feulling makes, just try to go through an cobblestoned 30km zone, the XTR will be tiring, but the XTZ will be just sit back and relax.

Riding tips: . -----www.LazyMotorbike.eu-----

R3B screwed with this post 03-07-2010 at 06:04 PM
R3B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 04:38 PM   #1862
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,261
I would love too, but we do not get either bike over here. I wasn't being critical of either bike as I have never ridden them. I was commenting on your evaluation of the TDM and the F800gs. What is your riding experience on them?
itsatdm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 05:00 PM   #1863
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,853
So if we go by V-Strom conventions, this means in March we will have a
Tenere and a Wee-nere.

Choice is good

Cheers
Graham
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 05:04 PM   #1864
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev
It's been known for a while that it can't meet the latest emission regs.
Yes, that's the rumor (for four or five years now).

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:01 PM   #1865
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 16,714
[QUOTE=ray_rev]It's been known for a while that it can't meet the latest emission regs.[/QUOTE
pics of a new zuk 1000 v-twin have surfaced years ago that was suppose to be the repplacement ( for this issue). it's not like zuk is caught off guard by this and they're not gonna loose there baby. when the time comes/is needed i'm betting they will still have 2 stroms.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Facebook - please come follow us:
https://www.facebook.com/butlermaps
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:54 PM   #1866
Glenngineer
Scooty Puff Sr.

Oddometer: 756
[quote=eakins]
Quote:
It's been known for a while that it can't meet the latest emission regs.[/QUOTE
pics of a new zuk 1000 v-twin have surfaced years ago that was suppose to be the repplacement ( for this issue). it's not like zuk is caught off guard by this and they're not gonna loose there baby. when the time comes/is needed i'm betting they will still have 2 stroms.
Can you link any of those pictures.....please?
Glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:20 PM   #1867
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,853
It looks more like a 650 to me...

Cheers
Graham
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:45 PM   #1868
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick West
I'm looking forward to Two Plug's expound........
Well: It's a proven fact that the Varadero XL1000V is cheaper (much) than all other recent introduced big trail bikes, including the Tenere.

And despite my 'love' for the mighty Dero I'm not like a BMW adept to confess that this bike had it's best time years ago. To be honest... the bike was dated already after its introduction at the 1998 Intermot Motorcycle Exhibition...

OK, the Varadero has 'ripen' through the years like a good wine. But when a wine lies open to long, it got a tendency of turning in to vinegar...

The new S12 (let's call it that... ) - but also the new Duc MS - have all the things I expect on a new, modern 'state-of-the-art' big trail bike.
When I look back 12 years, I look back at the very first Varadero Owners survey which I held back in 1999... On of the questions I asked: what do you want to see on a new Varadero successor?

The answers (1999!) showed us a very clear image... This is now shaped in to a real-live model: the 2010 Super Tenere.

Despite Honda's proven reliability the Varadero with its detuned Firestorm engine had its share of recalls in the early days from which the cam chain tensioner fault was the biggest issue. That only happened on the very first MK1 series and that's also one of the reasons that I won't be buying a first series S12...

But yes, I do wonder what Honda will do. The fact that Honda is going to introduce a big trail bike based on the VFR1200F is no public secret anymore; but there are strong rumours that Honda is also going to introduce a new (F800 / XT660?) basher with a new designed 800cc V-2 engine to close the gap between the new expected VFR traillie and the XL700V Transalp...

6-9 June 2014: 16th Varadero & 3rd Crosstourer International Meeting, GEIRANGER, NORWAY!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:48 PM   #1869
SpitfireTriple
Seek Truth

Oddometer: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD
So if we go by V-Strom conventions, this means in March we will have a
Tenere and a Wee-nere.

Graham
But didn't the V-Strom SV1000 come out before the SV650? If so, then logic (since when does logic have anything to do with it?) suggests it will not be the Tenere and the wee-nere (amusing as that sounds), it will be the Big Tenere and the Tenere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs
The new S12 (let's call it that... )
"S12" is good too. Quicker and easier to type than "Super 12" or "Super Tonner" or "Super Tanker".

Hmmm. I smell a poll coming on.
SpitfireTriple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:38 AM   #1870
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 15,962
[quote=eakins]
Quote:
It's been known for a while that it can't meet the latest emission regs.[/QUOTE
Suzuki wouldn't let the Strom disappear (as a name), I agree. It is massively in need of an update though.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:10 AM   #1871
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,310
Now Yamaha have thrown their hat into the ring i expect we will see at least one or two of the other big boys launching something soon.
Give us a new AT Honda...
Paulvt1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:20 AM   #1872
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknot
Perhaps it is because we know the difference between Yamaha and BMW. Total trust vs anxiety and mandatory towing insurance.

And we don't know what it will cost here because Yamaha has not told us it will even come here. Recall when the GT1200 was introduced and in a comparison between it and the FJR1300, the FJR was rated the overall better bike for THOUSANDS less. I see the advantage going here to Yamaha.

As for weight, if the weight difference between the Super Tenere and the GSA is such a problem than surely the difference between the GS1200 and GS 800 is enough to cancel all the GS 1200 sales? Weight is less of a problem than how it is managed. I've picked up a fully loaded ST1100 on a downward slope without a problem and I'm not a weight lifter, weighing in at 165. I really don't understand what the bitching and moaning is about how much a GSA or Super Tenere weighs. These are not dirt bikes, they are street bikes. I've put my ST1100 in places most GS owners will not tread but it is still a street bike just as the GS. Perhaps the "critical appraisals" we are reading in this thread is just the whining we should expect from the roundel crowd. Soccer moms, Starbucks and GS. Griping Sissies.

The dethroning of the King is not so much a point with us always looking for a better bike as it is such an affront to pride of the owners of the about to be dethroned. This explains a lot of comments here.

My prediction is this bike will take a lot of market share from BMW in Europe and anywhere else it is introduced.
i dont see it is the GS owners whining.I see it that these people expected Yamaha to produce something more like a KTM than a GS
Old 03-08-2010, 01:22 AM   #1873
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3B
Go and see teh english german and dutch fora, i'm not going tu duplicate al that data in this thread, you have had your troubles with the same bike less some horsepower, i can't believe you a're not able to do the math, if you put even more stress on the same system it will give even mor troubles, as stated look through the F800(x) dauertests on Motorrad-online.de

If i read your story, it reads more like a queste for the "little" Tenere, it's much more fun offroad than the F800GS, and it's way more docile, where the F800GS is more like a first version TDM, so nickpicky ont throttle input its surging ore belting away, when you try to manouvre skillfully in the dirt.

The XT660Z just feels much more "together", can not excactly discribe how it feels, but were the F800GS has a sort of "no i dont want into thecorner, oooh now i fall into it" the Tenere has just a little slow following.
(comes out of the enormous gyroscopic forces of the 21ėr)
To me the F650GS is a way better bike to ride, the F800 is tiresome, but the Tenere is both more "together" and much more controllable fun, a powerslide with the XT is perfectly controllable, on the F800 its like on the older TDM more a hit or miss operation, before you know it you overshoot the corner.

My hope is that the Superten, combines the lard/lumpiness of torque like the original R11GS has, combined with the aweinspired complacency of the little Tener in the off road sector (but it will be less stablefooted by it's small 19"er)

The S10 will be snotted offroad by its little predecessor, but the endless backroadburning we like to do will be much more comfortable because the longstroke "V-twin" of the S-10 will eliminate the gearchange process :-)

Do you own an F800GS, have you ever owned one, you must your such an expert on them.

The F650GS is a nice little bike but its "the soft option" compared to the F800GS, and I know because I actually own and ride them!!
I spent all last Thursday on an F650GS, and have owned an F800GS for 15 months.
How long have you had yours?

There ya go, you have gone and hijacked the thread with your anti-BMW rhetoric!!
And there's no place I'd rather be!!
Bigem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:55 AM   #1874
ADVwannabe
Salty Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
All the BMWs I've ever owned have given me good service and I've hired a couple of GS12s in the last couple of years and they have been a great ride. I'm over it, like them or not, its up to you.

I'm interested in the Superten because it has many of the features I'm looking for in an allroads tourer ( note - not a dirt bike) and it will have Japan inc manufactering quality, spares and dealer network behind it.

And if, as the dealer introducing the bike at phillip Island hopes, they can offer the basic bike for around 20k Oz, it will be competitively priced too.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:50 AM   #1875
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigem
The F650GS is a nice little bike but its "the soft option" compared to the F800GS, and I know because I actually own and ride them!!
My words exactly, the F800GS is a Harsh ride, it demands big effort to get it through a corner as smoothly as on a F650 or XTZ.

So you unknowingly strenghten my point exactly...

Quote:
There ya go, you have gone and hijacked the thread with your anti-BMW rhetoric!!
Look at yourself Bro, i have said allready, there or more than enough threads to build polemics over the goodness of BMW (or lack of goodnes, supprtwise).

So try and focus on the Tenere will ye, i just pulled the Beemer in to compare,not to discuss the beemer, that discussion is hopelessly fruitless, it's like discussing the broken hinges of a macbook with an Applefan.

"There is no greater god than Apple/BMW/Jahova/Etc."

I'm not trying to convert you to Yamaha rider, so stop converting me to Beemerboy, *because* i'm allready riding a Beemer, Boy. (oh Boy)

Riding tips: . -----www.LazyMotorbike.eu-----
R3B is offline   Reply With Quote