Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2013, 12:18 AM   #18976
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie05 View Post
This has to be the best statement so far in this forum :)

And your English is perfect too, it makes complete sense

I agree with you, no need for 150HP other than for bragging.
And I would say, probably 90% of the riders can't or don't have the ability to use it on the road either :

Manufacturers keep bumping it up because they know they will take a hit when the mags test them against other bikes. Its like, wow, this bike has 10 more HP than that one, whop Di Do :
You are very kind about my spanglish!

Completely agree with the rest, then they need to add traction controls that are working all the time to control the excess of power... we are crazy...

Yamaha Super Ténéré off road modifications: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797977
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:21 AM   #18977
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaumev View Post

Completely agree with the rest, then they need to add traction controls that are working all the time to control the excess of power... we are crazy...
I think the fact that these kind of bikes got to 1200cc is a bit crazy. Back in the day I thought 750cc was getting up there a bit, but good for the long haul travel but thems the marketing breaks.

Now we "need" 1200cc and 150HP. I suppose YAMAHA should learn a thing or two from the car industry. Keep upsizing until you make a gap and them pop a new model where the original one used to be. Like BMW did with the R80..

R80->R100->R1100->R1150->R1200 Pop F800.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:37 AM   #18978
ballheadknuckle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
I think the fact that these kind of bikes got to 1200cc is a bit crazy. Back in the day I thought 750cc was getting up there a bit, but good for the long haul travel but thems the marketing breaks.

Now we "need" 1200cc and 150HP. I suppose YAMAHA should learn a thing or two from the car industry. Keep upsizing until you make a gap and them pop a new model where the original one used to be. Like BMW did with the R80..

Maybe they just do that with the new 900cc two cylinder engine that was shown last week.
ballheadknuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:40 AM   #18979
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,342
Quote:
I suppose YAMAHA should learn a thing or two from the car industry. Keep upsizing until you make a gap and them pop a new model where the original one used to be. Like BMW did with the R80..

Actually, the smaller BMW R-twins were usually downsized from the bigger ones and when the smaller bike was made (which wasn't consistently) both the big twin and small twin were produced side-by-side. The small R-twin was never a big seller and since it shared so many components with the bigger bike, it cost almost the same to make so it was hard to make it significantly cheaper.

There was a bit of a steady progression in the big twins from 1100cc in 1993 to the current 1200cc, with a stop in the middle at 1150cc. (And a brief excursion to 1250cc in a cruiser version).

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:45 PM   #18980
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballheadknuckle View Post
Maybe they just do that with the new 900cc two cylinder engine that was shown last week.
Maybe.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
Old 07-13-2013, 04:47 PM   #18981
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
Actually, the smaller BMW R-twins were usually downsized from the bigger ones and when the smaller bike was made (which wasn't consistently) both the big twin and small twin were produced side-by-side. The small R-twin was never a big seller and since it shared so many components with the bigger bike, it cost almost the same to make so it was hard to make it significantly cheaper.

There was a bit of a steady progression in the big twins from 1100cc in 1993 to the current 1200cc, with a stop in the middle at 1150cc. (And a brief excursion to 1250cc in a cruiser version).

- Mark
Did they?.

Didn't notice that over on Oz Land. They just got bigger. So can you point me to a place that goes through this history?

Old 07-13-2013, 07:38 PM   #18982
RideDualSport.com
TPB all the way

Oddometer: 1,459
The 80's Ninja on the left has a built up drag racing motor in it, and it is almost as fast as my bone-stock 2011 Ninja was. They both top out at almost 160 mph.

Do I miss the horsepower of the 2011 Ninja? Yes I do. That motor is an engineering marvel. I started to alter my riding patterns due to the motor. You could pass cars in very short distances and high mountain passes would not phase the bike one bit.

Can I live without the horsepower? Yes I can.
With all that power comes more responsibility and more discipline with the throttle. The Super Canary has adequate power for what the bike is intended to do and it is a more relaxing power - soothing and easy to live with.
As a matter of fact, the Canary motor actually becomes a non-entity, in other words it kind of fades away from consciousness while riding. I kind of like that. I find I get lulled into a rhythm by the motor that is good for munching miles.

The power of the Ninjas is addictive, but rather harder to live with in the long run, at least for me. I am glad to be back on a twin cylinder motor.

Alaska Deep Adventure

RideDualSport.com screwed with this post 07-13-2013 at 07:59 PM
RideDualSport.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:56 PM   #18983
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideDualSport.com View Post
The 80's Ninja on the left has a built up drag racing motor in it, and it is almost as fast as my bone-stock 2011 Ninja was. They both top out at almost 160 mph.

Do I miss the horsepower of the 2011 Ninja? Yes I do. That motor is an engineering marvel. I started to alter my riding patterns due to the motor. You could pass cars in very short distances and high mountain passes would not phase the bike one bit.

Can I live without the horsepower? Yes I can.
With all that power comes more responsibility and more discipline with the throttle. The Super Canary has adequate power for what the bike is intended to do and it is a more relaxing power - soothing and easy to live with.
As a matter of fact, the Canary motor actually becomes a non-entity, in other words it kind of fades away from consciousness while riding. I kind of like that. I find I get lulled into a rhythm by the motor that is good for munching miles.

The power of the Ninjas is addictive, but rather harder to live with in the long run, at least for me. I am glad to be back on a twin cylinder motor.
I was really close to buying a 2010 Ninja in metalic green. At that time, I was looking for sport bike performace with more upright ergos. Somehow my preference started leaning toward something even more upright with more suspension travel for some of the crappy roads in Japan. If Kawi had released the Versys 1000 a few months earlier, I might be on one now. Glad I ended up with a Tenere.

Sent from my SC-03E using Tapatalk 2

tremor38 screwed with this post 07-13-2013 at 09:50 PM
tremor38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:08 PM   #18984
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaumev View Post
660 Ténéré off course!! I'm not getting mad

I hope to have it in few weeks

I'm making the farkles list ... sooooo long...

See you in august?
There are a couple of things you need to do to it when you get it.

1) Put silicon or similar sealer on top of the plug that fits onto the rectifier/regulator. Shit from the front wheel gets in and rots the pins. It then either fries the battery or does not charge it.
2) Grease the life out of your axles and head bearings. For some reason it is seriously lacking in these places.
3) Pack the rear wheel cush drive rubbers out with pedal cycle inner tube to make them solid. If not they ware out in a few thousand miles.

Aside from that it is a brilliant bike. I had one before my S10 and loved it.

Oh and take a look at http://www.xt660.com
Old 07-13-2013, 09:15 PM   #18985
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post

1) Put silicon or similar sealer on top of the plug that fits onto the rectifier/regulator. Shit from the front wheel gets in and rots the pins. It then either fries the battery or does not charge it.
2) Grease the life out of your axles and head bearings. For some reason it is seriously lacking in these places.
3) Pack the rear wheel cush drive rubbers out with pedal cycle inner tube to make them solid. If not they ware out in a few thousand miles.
Put crash bars on it.
Add stickers
Change the suspension. According to all the Tenere owners at the Tenere Tragics event that is.

That almost looks like you already

Old 07-13-2013, 09:37 PM   #18986
Geology Rocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
I would love a 660 tenere now I know how to get one into the USA.
The "Suicide Disease" - Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. The pain never ends
http://www.rsds.org/2/what_is_rsd_crps/

Geology Rocks screwed with this post 07-13-2013 at 11:31 PM
Geology Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:13 PM   #18987
Specterx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Had a great ride today in Oklahoma/Arkansas. Riding down a dirt road a black bear cub ran right out in front of me and I had to slam on the brakes. I had my gopro camera mounted to my helmet too.... but didn't have it turned on.

I didn't wait to see the mother bear and took off immediately.
Specterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:26 PM   #18988
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post

Aside from that it is a brilliant bike. I had one before my S10 and loved it.

Oh and take a look at http://www.xt660.com
Yes, I will do it, thanks!
Looking at your "lightly" loaded Super Tenere I can imagine why you replace the 660...

Quote:
Put crash bars on it.
Add stickers
Change the suspension. According to all the Tenere owners at the Tenere Tragics event that is.

That almost looks like you already
Off course. Waiting for the bike:

The sickers are in the design table.
I've got some YZ front bars
BM rear suspension
None exhaust
ACD skid plate
.... and few more things...

Yamaha Super Ténéré off road modifications: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797977
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:59 PM   #18989
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geology Rocks View Post
I would love a 660 tenere now I know how to get one into the USA.

pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:57 AM   #18990
tomatocity
Retired and lovin' it

Oddometer: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Same here.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere #027, 2005 KLR, 1993 Chevrolet S10,
tomatocity is offline   Reply With Quote