ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2013, 04:09 PM   #19021
japako
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
Importing a current Euro-spec vehicle to the US is essentially impossible. There are some exceptions and ways to slide under the radar, but they're only for very special circumstances.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...r-into-the-u.s.

- Mark
I don't think I would call it impossible, Just damned expensive..
You could bring it in as a race bike, but that may be expensive also.
japako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:13 PM   #19022
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaumev View Post
OK, dont worry, I'm going to do a nice post with all the modifications and experiences riding this lovely bike.
I'm sure you will like it... I also can post pictures and videos, so you can imagine how I feel in it...

But if you come to Spain I will be please to let you ride it
Be nice. Remember we know where your daughter works.
pluric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:05 PM   #19023
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkymcgee View Post

Anyhoo, the local dealer had a black 2012 that I drove and it had zero miles on it when I took it out. I didn't follow the break-in procedure lol, and I think it was demo'd a few times after me. Should I care about the demo miles? Or should I look for a pristine un-molested bike? I get a little anal about my bikes and how they are maintained.

Thoughts?
Fair enough. There are some who think that the way most bikes are "demo'd" is the correct way to run them in anyway.

The best thing to do is grab your demo discount and ask the dealer to change diff and engine oil. Then you have the so called "good break in" and the fresh oil change that is supposed to be done as part of that. Use the same "break in" oil though. No full synthetic just yet.

The bike is not over stress and treating it well through its life would be more important.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:32 PM   #19024
Red Dust
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 452
Do not worry too much, heard that demo bike can actually be the best ones but oil changes in the early life of engine should be done. Broke my B-King in as per Moto man direction and it runs like a dream having said that my R1 runs great as well and I ran it in according the book.
Ran in my low mileage demo ST as I would ride it normally but changed the oil an extra time in the beginning.
Just ride the bike but warm up before you rev it to the red line.
Check Moto man method which is a bit controversial but also interesting.
Red Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:53 PM   #19025
Superstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
Quote:
Uh Oh...

I test drove one.

Now I'm gonna buy one.

It will replace my 2011 KLR 650 (for sale in flea market).

Anyhoo, the local dealer had a black 2012 that I drove and it had zero miles on it when I took it out. I didn't follow the break-in procedure lol, and I think it was demo'd a few times after me. Should I care about the demo miles? Or should I look for a pristine un-molested bike? I get a little anal about my bikes and how they are maintained.

Thoughts?
Don't worry about it. It will be fine.
Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:48 PM   #19026
sparkymcgee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
I called the dealer and they gave me the "come on in and we'll make you a deal" business. I told them no and asked for a price over the phone. They called me back with an OTD of $14,880. I told them I could do $13.300 OTD. I haven't heard back yet. My pricing is based on a $12,000 invoice price plus 9% tax of $1,080 and $162 registration. I figure I'm being aggressive on the pricing, but it is last year's model and I know it's been sitting in their showroom for 6+ months as I check it out everytime I go in there. We'll see if they get back to me with another counter. I figure I can go to $13,500 and feel pretty good about it.

Thoughts?
Old 07-18-2013, 05:03 PM   #19027
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,499
Quote:
I called the dealer and they gave me the "come on in and we'll make you a deal" business. I told them no and asked for a price over the phone. They called me back with an OTD of $14,880. I told them I could do $13.300 OTD. I haven't heard back yet. My pricing is based on a $12,000 invoice price plus 9% tax of $1,080 and $162 registration. I figure I'm being aggressive on the pricing, but it is last year's model and I know it's been sitting in their showroom for 6+ months as I check it out everytime I go in there. We'll see if they get back to me with another counter. I figure I can go to $13,500 and feel pretty good about it.

Thoughts?
I could go on about how a dealer needs to make money to stay in business but why bother. I just find it weird when we all want a dealer next door that has internet prices and moan when our only dealer closes but everybody wants a bike for wholesale.

Turns this around and whatever service/job you have. I'll walk in your door and you'll give me a price and I'll say "No way, most I'll pay is $$$".
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:08 PM   #19028
sparkymcgee
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
I could go on about how a dealer needs to make money to stay in business but why bother. I just find it weird when we all want a dealer next door that has internet prices and moan when our only dealer closes but everybody wants a bike for wholesale.

Turns this around and whatever service/job you have. I'll walk in your door and you'll give me a price and I'll say "No way, most I'll pay is $$$".
I totally understand that, but I'm sure the dealer isn't going to lose money selling me a bike. They wouldn't stay in business very long on that model. I figure if I have a price I want to pay and they have a price they want to sell at, if the two don't meet then no deal. We're all grown ups and can make decisions. I can assure you that I'm not going to pay a penny extra so a dealer can stay in business. That's not my problem, it's theirs.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:09 PM   #19029
japako
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

Thoughts?
I don't know about California prices, but in TX the invoice is a little less.
I would expect to buy a 2013 at 12 to 12.4 plus tt&l.
That is here.
If the dealer accepts your offer and your happy, that's a good deal. You may want to also get 25% off any farkles bought at the same time.
You install. That is a pretty normal deal. Such as the wind wings, ect.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:10 PM   #19030
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,365
Quote:

Thoughts?
You're certainly free to offer anything you like, but this sounds a little aggressive. Typical invoice on a Japanese bike is about 84% of MSRP, so for a 2013, that would be about $12,400. Add your TTL, and you're at $13,650 before they make a penny. (I'm not aware that Yamaha has any factory incentives in place - if so, then all bets are off.)

Your strategy of doing phone negotiations is convenient, but dealers are very reluctant to give their best price over the phone because it almost never results in a sale. If you're going to bargain this aggressively, you'll probably need to be on site to get their best price.

I doubt they'll call you back as you're way too far apart.

Good luck regardless.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:13 PM   #19031
sparkymcgee
Gnarly Adventurer

I figure on a 2012, the pricing should be lower than for a '13 though.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:24 PM   #19032
japako
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I figure on a 2012, the pricing should be lower than for a '13 though.
Your right, it should. The MSRP on a 12 was 13,999 and on a 13 it is ,
Old 07-18-2013, 10:15 PM   #19033
T-cosmic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Bazar style... :)

©
Old 07-19-2013, 05:42 AM   #19034
avc8130
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,284
Quote:
I totally understand that, but I'm sure the dealer isn't going to lose money selling me a bike. They wouldn't stay in business very long on that model. I figure if I have a price I want to pay and they have a price they want to sell at, if the two don't meet then no deal. We're all grown ups and can make decisions. I can assure you that I'm not going to pay a penny extra so a dealer can stay in business. That's not my problem, it's theirs.
You say this, but you offered the dealer HIS COST on the product. That IS LOSING MONEY! The salesman needed to get paid, the lights needed to be on, they needed the roof to store the bike under, etc, etc, etc.

If this dealer is "local" to you, why are you beating on him over the phone? Walk in the door with a pile of cash and be a REAL buyer. Ride out on your new motorcycle.

ac
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:44 AM   #19035
avc8130
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by japako View Post
Your right, it should. The MSRP on a 12 was 13,999 and on a 13 it is ,
Refresh my memory.

Was the 2012 MSRP $13,999 or was that the pre-order MSRP and the ACTUAL MSRP was $14,499? Or maybe $13,999 was MSRP and the pre-order was $13,499?

I definitely remember Yamaha having a different MSRP for those that pre-ordered and those that waited to see how awesome the bike was.

ac
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote