ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2013, 09:02 AM   #19111
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rowley View Post

Don't encourage him.

pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:52 AM   #19112
DaFoole
Lewddite at large...

Oddometer: 4,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecold Dan View Post
That dood in yella has way too much shit!

Old 07-23-2013, 10:53 AM   #19113
DaFoole
Lewddite at large...

Oddometer: 4,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticyclone View Post
Doesn't he have a ride report to finish?

Old 07-23-2013, 01:11 PM   #19114
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
I didn't realize you had traded your Yamaha for a BMW
Ya gotta throw em a few bones now and then....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckchecker View Post
Assuming that you have really ruled out lash/wear in the rear pumpkin, the knock could be gearbox lash, u-joint wear, or spline wear. I think you would have to pull the side cover off to really tell which.

With all the thousands of miles that you & Karin have put on at speed AND overloaded in weight, you are one of our community extreme testers. Looking forward to hearing more about what you find.
It is the Cardan/Ujoint/Universal Joint or whatever you call it. You can feel and hear it with the cover removed.

I ordered a new one from Yamaha at Draper, Salt Lake City. The parts guy asked me what bike it was for. "Super Tenere", "Who makes them". "Er....Yamaha.....Er...... this is a Yamaha shop, right". "Yes sir". "OK its the great big 1200cc dirt bike that they make". "What year would that be sir".......Ohh....FFS
Old 07-23-2013, 01:23 PM   #19115
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post

I ordered a new one from Yamaha at Draper, Salt Lake City. The parts guy asked me what bike it was for. "Super Tenere", "Who makes them". "Er....Yamaha.....Er...... this is a Yamaha shop, right". "Yes sir". "OK its the great big 1200cc dirt bike that they make". "What year would that be sir".......Ohh....FFS
I think that is the shop I bought mine from. South Valley Motorsports?
Old 07-23-2013, 02:50 PM   #19116
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFoole View Post
If yer buddy finished off that Bag-O-Cheetos, he prolly didn't shit right for a week.....
Old 07-23-2013, 03:20 PM   #19117
tomatocity
Retired and lovin' it

Oddometer: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rowley View Post
I lost my house in last month's Black Forest Fire. I managed to get my bikes out but left the ST owner's manual along with 30 years accumulation of tools and 31 years of memories. Is it odd that I ask about the owner's manual? Long story short, my battery went dead from the GPS being left on. After charging the battery for several on-off periods (I live in a toy hauler now) I started the bike up. The engine light is illuminated with the bike running. Is there a reset method to shut that light off or do I have to take it in? Thanks for the help.
Can't imagine how you feel about losing your home. Let us know what we can do to help.

Hope this helps with the engine light.

http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?topic=5466.0

http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?topic=6967.0

http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?topic=8041.0

http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?topic=2612.0
Old 07-23-2013, 07:19 PM   #19118
WestVirginia
Well spoke'n

Oddometer: 84
Old 07-23-2013, 07:40 PM   #19119
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
I think that is the shop I bought mine from. South Valley Motorsports?
poor Ray, SV Motorsports probably thought it was you calling about the cardan joint.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:50 PM   #19120
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

I have no affiliation with these. Just seemed like a reasonable price for a used Tenere.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218...enere&ad_cid=9

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218...enere&ad_cid=2
Old 07-23-2013, 11:00 PM   #19121
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRCRZR View Post
Well my wife and I agree the stock seat on the Tenere is not the most comfortable seat we have ever had. So I have started the search for a better seat by picking up a Saddlemen Adventure Tour seat..Fit and finish seems excellent, fits snuggly on the bike. They must weigh double what the stockers weigh, I assume it is the denser foam and gel pads. I haven't had a chance to ride it yet as we went boating today instead, but here are a few pics since there didn't seem to be many around the web. I will report back once we put a few miles on it..

Thanks for posting the pics, was asking Saddlemen sales for pics and they weren't interested at all in making an effort to supply some even though they're producing them. Looking forward to hearing your review. If the used Sargent I got doesn't do the trick, I will try the Adventure Tour next.

Btw, it's probably the base that adds the most weight, Saddlemen emphasizes how theirs is much stronger than the stock "plastic" base.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:58 AM   #19122
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Thanks for posting the pics, was asking Saddlemen sales for pics and they weren't interested at all in making an effort to supply some even though they're producing them. Looking forward to hearing your review. If the used Sargent I got doesn't do the trick, I will try the Adventure Tour next.

Btw, it's probably the base that adds the most weight, Saddlemen emphasizes how theirs is much stronger than the stock "plastic" base.
Been another busy ass work week for me, no moto time. I am planning a qhick 2 hr ride west this weekend to see the Sunrise on Mt Washington. I should have some sort of an opinion after that.
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:34 AM   #19123
BHumW
so many roads...

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestVirginia View Post
Hi Jim,

Sorry to hear about your house. Glad you are ok. Will insurance cover it? Don't have an answer for your engine light. The guy who delivered my bike was pretty clear about having any work done during the first 12 months be done at the dealer or my warranty may go poof.

Gentlemen (and Pluric), I wasn't saying the Tenere should be a 250. The Honda 250 Nighthawk was just a low, underpowered and light bike - perfect for the parking lot safety course.

Let me ask the question a different way: Will a 1000 cc engine last four times as long as a 250 engine? Any technical reason to go with a 1200 engine other than to go head to head with BMW?
From a skill development stand point, less is more. A newer rider will have an easier time honing their skills on a smaller displacement bike, which can then be applied to a larger one later. It more difficult, but not impossible, to develop those same skills on a large bike right out of the box.

It really comes down to what it's going to be used for. A friend has a 250 KLR, uses it to go back and forth to work and 100 mile fishing trips up in the north woods. As an urban assault vehicle, a 250, 400, etc., may fit the bill just fine, but some will soon be looking for something more... HTH.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:23 AM   #19124
sallydog
no more Green KLR

Oddometer: 5,602
in the boonies in Rhode Island

4 mile ride on a flat tire
Heaven's the place where all the dogs you've ever loved come to greet you
sallydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:35 AM   #19125
sallydog
no more Green KLR

Oddometer: 5,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestVirginia View Post
Just finished the Motorcycle Safety Course and rode a 250 Honda Nighthawk. Very light bike, fun.

My question is whether there is a reason for a 1200 engine in the Tenere?

I imagine the disadvantages of a large engine are poor MPG and weight, but what are the advantages?
43mpg is no so poor. big engine is nice for big touring. strong. good acceleration
Heaven's the place where all the dogs you've ever loved come to greet you
sallydog is offline   Reply With Quote