ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2013, 11:27 PM   #19231
White Tenere
Look a moose

Oddometer: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramseybella View Post
Just pulled the trigger on a used 2012 with 4 year Y.E.S. warranty Woody's 18"x21" Altrider screen riser and crash bars 1900 mile $12,000.00!
Not many duel sport tire options for the 18" is a bit of a bummer.
Never the less coming off a Triumph Tiger 1050 it's like night and day I like this bike completely..

Congrats on the bike, looks real sharp with the silver wheels and the upgraded tank graphics... Very nice-
White Tenere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:12 AM   #19232
TH
There and Here

Oddometer: 912
I wish my S10 looked that clean!
NOVA Tag-o-Rama Map
TH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:42 AM   #19233
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack'dTiger View Post
Looking for a cheap set of stock handlebars for a project. Anybody upgraded, and have a set collecting dust....?
PM sent.
Anticyclone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:31 PM   #19234
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
You would owe your wife a new car by now.
And now I'm starting farkle the 660... She's going to ask me a new house

Yamaha Super Ténéré off road modifications: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797977
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:33 PM   #19235
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramseybella View Post
Just pulled the trigger on a used 2012 with 4 year Y.E.S. warranty Woody's 18"x21" Altrider screen riser and crash bars 1900 mile $12,000.00!
Not many duel sport tire options for the 18" is a bit of a bummer.
Never the less coming off a Triumph Tiger 1050 it's like night and day I like this bike completely..

NICE!!

But she needs a good skid plate NOW!!

Yamaha Super Ténéré off road modifications: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797977
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:37 PM   #19236
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaumev View Post
And now I'm starting farkle the 660... She's going to ask me a new house
I think the new house will be for you. I hope there is room for two in there.

pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:54 PM   #19237
WestVirginia
Well spoke'n

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaumev View Post
NICE!!

But she needs a good skid plate NOW!!
I am interested in the Altrider screen riser. Anybody have a link? Seeking a smoother highway ride.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:23 PM   #19238
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestVirginia View Post
I am interested in the Altrider screen riser. Anybody have a link? Seeking a smoother highway ride.
I don't know about the Altrider riser, but my Tobinator screen adjuster works great.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:34 PM   #19239
tomatocity
Retired and lovin' it

Oddometer: 804
Quote:
Altrider.com

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere #027, 2005 KLR, 1993 Chevrolet S10,
tomatocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:48 PM   #19240
japako
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
I don't think ALTrider makes a screen adjuster. Could be wrong.
Madstad makes a nice screen bracket that allows up, down, back and forward movement.

If you are thinking of risers, Rox makes those. Try a search on Google for better prices. jmho
japako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:15 AM   #19241
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by japako View Post
I don't think ALTrider makes a screen adjuster. Could be wrong.
Madstad makes a nice screen bracket that allows up, down, back and forward movement.

If you are thinking of risers, Rox makes those. Try a search on Google for better prices. jmho
Hard to beat the Madstad bracket...and the optional cross bar is great for mounting GPS and such
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:05 AM   #19242
TH
There and Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRCRZR View Post
Hard to beat the Madstad bracket...and the optional cross bar is great for mounting GPS and such
+1

I know I like mine.
NOVA Tag-o-Rama Map
Old 08-07-2013, 07:59 AM   #19243
EagleTodd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post
Right then...

My bike shipped, fully loaded at around 380kg. We are not young or light so you can see why I needed to do some suspension work. I obviously do not know your dimensions or luggage load so you may have to think about this. Your total load will determine your tyre pressures and suspension requirements. Dont forget the bike weighs 261kg and is allowed to take 209kg load. The extra load includes panniers, crash bars, etc etc.
470kg total max load did not even allow for me alone when naked (horrible thought) to sit on the bike. I still needed to dress and put the boss on the back.

I changed the rear shock for a Yacugar (the Dutch people that used to own WP before KTM bought them out). The reason was not for performance as I was happy with the Yam one but the bike was seriously over the 209kg (460lb) limit. The unit turned out to be better at damping too and I am not an expert by any means.
I turned the front preload in to about 2 rings exposed (from the original 5.5).

I had a scrren adjuster and an MRA spoiler screen added. This stopped with the blast onto my face and the buffetting that Karen suffered on the top of her head.

My tyres are both Heidenau K60 scouts and I am blown away with them. The front has 16k miles and the rear has 8500. I have just ordered new ones to be put on in about 500 miles time. The only draw back is that they are noisey when worn. I run 46 rear and 36 front but on speaking to Jaxon from www.rideonadv.com today he uses 38 up front and 40 rear when riding solo. When I used the reccomended settings loaded up, the tyres gave uneven wear in the side blocks. Both Jaxon and I have spoken to Heidenau in Germany and they tell us that the overpressure is no problem.

For my seat, I had a problem with the slope so I removed the rear rubber bungs and laid it a bit flatter. I also put a couple of Air Hawk cushion seats and a sheepskin. The sheepskin is now as flat as a board and the whole lot has raised the seat about 1.5". Not a good thing for my 29" inseam.

I raised the bars up and back with a set of damped Rox Risers. I suffered with sore neck/shoulders for some time so I moved the bars forward a bit and the pain went away. I was very surprised by the difference.

Off road mods included welding a plate ON TOP of the side stand foot. I found that the aftermarket foot plates made the sidestand too long when the bike was 2 up. I put 2 brush ties on the foot brake and gear lever to stop them from catching brush and/or bending back on logs etc.

I also put Acerbis socks on my fork legs to stop the seals from dying early. They fairly are easy to put on. Just remove the wheel, the mudguard and the brake calipers and the forks drop out. The socks then slide over from the top.

The grips are Yam heated ones so were not changed. I do however have extended the hand-guards. It is a bonus in cold or wet weather. The extensions are go cart number plates cut down and molded to fit.

Lastly, if you have not done so already, get a bash plate. They are all reasonable for your intended use but DO NOT buy the Yamaha one. It will take your sump out if hit. You will bash the sump plate on kurbs when 2 up.

I did many other mods mainly aimed at load carrying so they are not included here.

If you need any more details, just ask.
Good information. Thank you. Safe riding!
Old 08-07-2013, 08:34 AM   #19244
luni
A51 Tour Guide

Oddometer: 1,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRCRZR View Post
Yup with a couple brackets to reinforce it the bracket is rock solid and set up my whole dashboard.
luni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:39 AM   #19245
TH
There and Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by luni View Post
Yup with a couple brackets to reinforce it the bracket is rock solid and set up my whole dashboard.
Luni, any pics? I have the madstad too and it does shake a little. But I'm curious on the brackets...
NOVA Tag-o-Rama Map