Old 08-18-2013, 05:06 AM   #19441
McBoab
Fast side of farty

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevescott View Post
Hello Everyone.

Steve from Oz here.

I have been looking at the Super Ten as a long distance ride. In Oz, there seems to be quite a few for sale with low kms. Plus some people purchased 2010 models from dealers in 2012.

So my question is - why the slow sales + riders off loading their Super Ten. Am I missing something, as they seem a good motorbike. Some people say they are a bit boring to ride. As you all have one (or had one) how do you find them as a tourer.

Thanks for you thoughts on this.

Cheers

Steve
Don't know but some thoughts on why peops sell bikes. The S10 is a very underground bike ie most want the image of the GSA so maybe they don't gel with the lack of "kudos" in riding a yam? or P'raps they really wanted a tourer and thought an S10 would do it? whilst it can tour its not as good at it as dedicated tourers? or they just want a new bike every year? Me I'm at 3 years in on my S10 (a 1st ed- ex demo so avoided the eye watering at the time RRP) cant think of a reason to change though the ktm1190 is tempting but not at the cost to change from the S10 as its not 7k better and I don't want to be a debug rider for KTM, did that with the 950adventure. :)

As a slight aside I had mine in the local (non-yam) dealers for MoT and tyres and the mech who did the job asked me what I thought of it, he seemed to be tempted to swap t an S10 as he wasn't that enamoured with the GS1200LC he owned?!

PS if you really just want a tourer I'd think that the S10 maybe too compromised for real long haul touring, I'd done some reasonable length trips with a tankful lasting around 200mile + reserve but not if your making progress when the range can reduce a fare bit though if you don't mind mixing with the trucks and other traffic at 70mph and under its good to go.

PPS I've found the stock saddle to be the most comfortable of any I've owned but my bike history is either mostly Ducatis or Adv bikes.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:26 AM   #19442
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,004
Quote:
Hello Everyone.

Steve from Oz here.

I have been looking at the Super Ten as a long distance ride. In Oz, there seems to be quite a few for sale with low kms. Plus some people purchased 2010 models from dealers in 2012.

So my question is - why the slow sales + riders off loading their Super Ten. Am I missing something, as they seem a good motorbike. Some people say they are a bit boring to ride. As you all have one (or had one) how do you find them as a tourer.

Cheers

Steve
I've owned an 1100GS, ridden a number of 1200s so have some basis of comparison. IMO the Super Tenere is an excellent adv bike. Great handling, smooth shifting, and a strong, grunty engine. Out of the box Yamaha has placed some power limits in the first three gears and less than optimum fueling elsewhere, which makes the engine vibey at times. Luckily ECUnleashed has a flash that fixes all of this plus improves fuel economy. I've just had the reflash done and it is now quite the mad beast when I twist the wrist hard, and also very smooth and easy to ride.

So those who said it was boring maybe needed to do the reflash. Or more likely they mistook Yamaha's smooth torque curve for being boring compared to BMW's squiggly power curve, which can make the engine feel lively above 5,000 rpm.

And I think some people just like having the BMW roundel on their bike...

As far as the Yammie as a tourer, definitely. Very stable, very smooth, good wind protection. Only thing I need to improve is the seat.
twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:02 AM   #19443
luni
A51 Tour Guide

Oddometer: 1,051
Maybe it's just the folks I live around but my S10 has gotten a LOT of attention. I've had guys stop and chat for 10 minutes in the work parking lot and people roll down their windows at red lights asking what kind of bike it is. The day after I bought it riding into work I had a gate guard say "I don't know what that is but I like it." And that's the pattern, nobody knows what the hell to make of it.

It always starts with a confused stare then finally giving up and asking what kind of bike it is. People that want the image or the recognition of throwing a leg over a BMW or a KTM aren't going to get that immediate response and will shy away. Also if you have 20 grand to throw around on a big dirt bike chances are it's going to whichever bike won the last big bike shootout. The Tenere has consistently scored in the middle of the road. KTM makes a better dirt bike, BMW makes a better street bike, the Tenere is the compromise and that's why we love it (debatable, don't beat me).

If I had to guess why guys are offloading them, I'd say it's an even money split between guys moving up to the new hotness (GS/KTM) which is the same thing they did when they bought Yamaha's big bike and guys who just weren't really looking for a 1200cc dual sport and are moving on to something more specific (800cc adv tourer, sport tourer, etc).

Personally I like having a bike that no one recognizes that does exactly what I ask it to do where ever I am. And to be honest with myself I'm not a fast enough rider to push it's limits at either end of the dual sport riding spectrum so I find it to be comfortable and capable as far as I'm willing to take it.

Now as a footnote, I just rolled 10,000 miles and I've had the bike for a year. It's taken me to the beach, to the mountains, and up and down the east coast. It's my daily driver and my weekend getaway. With all that seat time I still don't really consider myself all that attached to it. And I get pretty sentimental when it comes to vehicles. I'm going to keep my DRZ until it explodes, it was my first bike, I put a lot of work into it, it's got character, but I still only put a few thousand miles on it in a couple years. I just don't have that same connection with the Tenere. Maybe it's the blandness or just an overall lack of character. Objectively it's the best bike I've ever owned and I can't think of anything on the market I'd replace it with. Honestly if something did come around that I felt more drawn towards I'd be able to let the S10 go without any hesitation.
luni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:11 PM   #19444
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by luni View Post
I'm going to keep my DRZ until it explodes, it was my first bike, I put a lot of work into it, it's got character, but I still only put a few thousand miles on it in a couple years. I just don't have that same connection with the Tenere. Maybe it's the blandness or just an overall lack of character.
Different strokes for different folks. I rode a friend's DRZ and couldn't wait to hand it back...

Get the reflash done on your S10, you'll be amazed at how much "character" the juiced up engine has.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #19445
Happy Snapper
GOMOB.

Oddometer: 2,052
Quote:
Hello Everyone.

Steve from Oz here.

Cheers

Steve
G'Day Steve.

I rode my KLR from Brisbane to Birdsville in 2011. At around 3500 k round trip, about 30% was dirt. The rest bitumen. All the way I hankered for a more relaxing ride. The KLR was perfect... but the thought of a bigger bike was in my head.

On the way home we stopped in at Dalby Moto and sat on the KTM 990s. Instant love affair.

My mate went on to buy a 6 month old Kato and loves it!

I went back to Dalby Moto last September and rode the 990 and S10 back to back. I could have had either for the same price. Kato had factory crash bars and panniers too.

Kato was all grunt and I reckon would be a better bike..... if you ride 100% dirt!

Ended up with the S10 and love it.

The first time I rode it on a loose dirt road I was terrified.... I mean.. shit, what a big bike!

But after an hour or so I looked down at the speedo and look out.... I am cruising at 130 kh/h !

Man this bike can eat up the miles. Plan on going back to Birdsville on it next year.. what a bike.

All of the "real dirt bike" crowd tell me regularly that you cannot take it on dirt!

On one favourite dirt road north west of Brisbane I was chasing a mate on a GS1200 Rallye and we were both doing gentle power slides with the traction control dulled down a bit!

I should also add that I looked at the GS1200 Rallye but even with big discounts it was $7500 dearer.

For that money the bride and I had a holiday in Thailand.

The bike is very reliable, very comfortable and I plan to keep mine 5 years and then see how I go!

I am an old fat bastard and it suits me.

(140 kg in all the ATGATT and just turned 60)

In fact the bike was a birthday present from my wife!

If you like hitting snotty trails on a 250 (something I did at 21 on TY250 trials bike) then the S10 is not for you.

If you like to travel the road less travelled, be that road dirt or poor quality bitumen, if you like a quick 160k ride on a Sunday morning for breakfast..... and you want low servicing costs......then the S10 is or you!

Good luck!

Never trust atoms.... they make up everything!

Read my Blog: http://snapshotsfrommark.blogspot.com.au
Happy Snapper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:15 PM   #19446
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by luni View Post
Now as a footnote, I just rolled 10,000 miles and I've had the bike for a year. It's taken me to the beach, to the mountains, and up and down the east coast. It's my daily driver and my weekend getaway. With all that seat time I still don't really consider myself all that attached to it.
Anti - Stockholm syndrome.

If it had you trapped in the garage constantly wrenching you would love it, defend it even..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:01 PM   #19447
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Thumb For the S10 Geeks,

Whether you admit it or not...

Have fun Geeks..

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
Old 08-18-2013, 07:06 PM   #19448
Dirt_Dad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Whether you admit it or not...

Have fun Geeks..
That was pretty cool.
2013 Suzuki DR650SE
2008 Yamaha WR250R (for sale)
Dirt_Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:10 PM   #19449
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,109
It's the big version of th WR250r???

Quote:
Hello Everyone.

Steve from Oz here.

Cheers

Steve
In the states, the WR250r was easy to find used in 2009 to 2011... It was those who thought it was the Japanese version of a KTM... It is not, for good and bad reasons. These are the people who bought them new and sold them soon after. The prices of an 08 WRr are basically unchanged from those days. Except it is much harder to find one. Now those who own one know what they are, a rock solid, bland performance bike. But the bike just works... overall that is.

I have a feeling the S10 is the same way, just in a different category.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:26 PM   #19450
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,988
Quote:
Hello Everyone.

Steve from Oz here.

Cheers

Steve
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=889976
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:10 AM   #19451
Red Dust
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 427
Just came home from a 2000 km (around 1250 miles) which was the longest ride so far and 3 1/2 day trip and my conclusion is: Very relaxing bike, get sore bum after 2-3 hours but is bearable to continue riding, fuel consumption during my trip which was mainly hwy riding with stacks of luggage and without screen (still think it is way better to get clean air than any screen, might find a great screen one day) was 5.2 l/100km which is not bad considering up to 400 kilo bike and rider. Maximum fuel range was 450 km of which 94 km was on flashing fuel lamp...
Handlebar needs to be changed though. Got used to the vibrations which was a pain the time after purchase but not too annoying anymore.
It is a great bike and guess I will put many k`s on it, only done 6000 km`s since May this year so I`m a bit slow to clock them up.
Red Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:12 AM   #19452
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dust View Post
Handlebar needs to be changed though. Got used to the vibrations which was a pain the time after purchase but not too annoying anymore.
It is a great bike and guess I will put many k`s on it, only done 6000 km`s since May this year so I`m a bit slow to clock them up.
I thought I would have to do the same thing, but the ECUnleashed Gen II reflash completely eliminated the vibrations that were numbing my throttle hand.
The engine is now super smooth!
Old 08-19-2013, 02:50 AM   #19453
Red Dust
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 427
Guess I need the reflash one day soon, tried the bypass of the clutch switch but thought the power came on a bit too much in the beginning plus missed the T mode, hopefully the reflash is something else and better which I believe it is after reading up on it. Did the average fuel consumption drop with the reflash, read somewhere that 5% would be achievable at constant speed but maybe a bit more during hard acceleration?
Red Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:13 AM   #19454
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Just came home from a 2000 km (around 1250 miles) which was the longest ride so far and 3 1/2 day trip and my conclusion is: Very relaxing bike, get sore bum after 2-3 hours but is bearable to continue riding, fuel consumption during my trip which was mainly hwy riding with stacks of luggage and without screen (still think it is way better to get clean air than any screen, might find a great screen one day) was 5.2 l/100km which is not bad considering up to 400 kilo bike and rider. Maximum fuel range was 450 km of which 94 km was on flashing fuel lamp...
Good to hear Mr Dust. Give yourself a Gen II flash for a Christmas present.
Glad to hear it's smoothing out for you.
Either that or you a developing big Tenere "man callouses"

All gnarly adventuers get them, Something to do with being lonely out on the road I heard

I think pluric told me that.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:33 AM   #19455
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Guess I need the reflash one day soon, tried the bypass of the clutch switch but thought the power came on a bit too much in the beginning plus missed the T mode, hopefully the reflash is something else and better which I believe it is after reading up on it. Did the average fuel consumption drop with the reflash, read somewhere that 5% would be achievable at constant speed but maybe a bit more during hard acceleration?
I had the CJM (on a switch) for about 8 months, it does nothing to get rid of the vibrations. The Gen II flash is a different animal altogether. Notably better power in all the gears, much smoother and considerably better gas mileage to boot. And it keeps T-mode's mild attributes intact