Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2013, 03:36 PM   #19831
AlsoRan
Lone Trail Of Dust

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbiker78 View Post
Thanks Graham

Where did you buy those tank protectors? Nice!
Old 09-13-2013, 04:15 PM   #19832
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbiker78 View Post
Thanks Graham

looks like the sledge hammer worked then

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:47 AM   #19833
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,296
One neat trick that someone on here posted about getting it all back together is to put the cush drive back into the wheel, then put the axle in the wrong way through the shaft, part way (being careful not to push the spacer out). The wheel can then be slid over the end of the axle and easily pulled back onto the shaft drive. Putting the bike in gear helps too.

Then pull the axle back out and and put it back in the correct way round with the brake bits etc.

This cuts down a lot of puffing and swearing.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:10 AM   #19834
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

I know this is the wrong place for this but I regard you lot as my extended family so here goes anyway.

Most on here know I have bought my bike from the UK to the US for a big trip. Yesterday I contacted the EPA and asked what proof of export they required when I took my bike out through Mexico.

The reply was "We do not regard vehicles taken into Mexico or Canada as being exported".

WTF........ "So what do you want then ?"

"When you take it back to the UK, get proof of re-importation there".

I was lost for words.

It appears that the EPA and US customs are taking over the world. What right have they to dictate what I do with my bike outside of their territory.

Canada is even a British colony for Gods sake. It was the same with the visa. Time spent in Canada was regarded as still being on US soil.

FFS who do these people think they are ?

Rant over..... Time to ride South

Old Git Ray screwed with this post 09-14-2013 at 06:07 AM
Old Git Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:54 AM   #19835
avc8130
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post

avc8130 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:07 AM   #19836
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,744
Cush Drive

Quote:
One neat trick that someone on here posted about getting it all back together is to put the cush drive back into the wheel, then put the axle in the wrong way through the shaft, part way (being careful not to push the spacer out). The wheel can then be slid over the end of the axle and easily pulled back onto the shaft drive. Putting the bike in gear helps too.

Then pull the axle back out and and put it back in the correct way round with the brake bits etc.

This cuts down a lot of puffing and swearing.
Found the easiest way to handle the back wheel cush drive is to silicone the whole thing together. Then it never falls out on rear wheel removal.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:44 AM   #19837
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED CAT View Post
Found the easiest way to handle the back wheel cush drive is to silicone the whole thing together. Then it never falls out on rear wheel removal.
Surely if it is stuck in there, it makes tyre changing difficult having the drive gear (splines) exposed or have I misunderstood you.

On removal, I use a tyre lever to ease the cush drive away from the shaft whist it is still in the wheel hub.

On thinking about it. Putting the axle in the wrong way around would also help with getting the wheel and cush drive off the splines (together). I'll try it next time I do it.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:47 AM   #19838
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,285
Quote:
I know this is the wrong place for this but I regard you lot as my extended family so here goes anyway.

Most on here know I have bought my bike from the UK to the US for a big trip. Yesterday I contacted the EPA and asked what proof of export they required when I took my bike out through Mexico.

The reply was "We do not regard vehicles taken into Mexico or Canada as being exported".

WTF........ "So what do you want then ?"

"When you take it back to the UK, get proof of re-importation there".

I was lost for words.

It appears that the EPA and US customs are taking over the world. What right have they to dictate what I do with my bike outside of their territory.

Canada is even a British colony for Gods sake. It was the same with the visa. Time spent in Canada was regarded as still being on US soil.

Rant over..... Time to ride South
I'm not defending the US CBP, but a guess at their logic is a combination of two things:

1. You are taking the bike OUT of the US, so it's no longer their problem.
Whatever paper you need once you cross south of the US border becomes your problem.

2. With respect to coming into the US from Canada and some extent, Mexico, the US has a long history of fairly open borders. It's both in law and practice. We don't quite have the EU borders without customs stations, and things tightened a lot after 9/11, which brought the current island-mentality fortress hysteria. But we still are pretty open to our NAFTA neighbors and there is a LOT of cross border activity both ways. So yes, once you initially did the paperwork and such to enter the US legally, and rode into Canada for a few days, the border would be open for you to come back into the US. (Seems to me that you have a year for the bike to do so.)

If you want to see upset people and anti-colonialism, take a pistol north into Canada, or get pulled over by a cop in Mexico without your Mexican insurance paper.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:40 AM   #19839
RonKZ650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Good tip on the axle trick. I fought long and hard to line things up. I'll wager this idea will do the trick.
Thanks Ray.
RonKZ650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:22 AM   #19840
Langolier
Cycleologist

Oddometer: 57
Super Tenere's Future...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulvt1 View Post
Wow. Surprised to read about Yamaha dropping the S10. Agree with what previous posters have said about the varied reasons behind such a decision. It never really stood a chance over here and the new GS has just knocked it even further out of the buying publics mind.
Lets hope there is a 900cc version in the wings...

Perhaps this was already mentioned but I was at local Yamaha dealer yesterday to check out a Tenere all were gone said he could still get in more because of overstock. When I asked about 2014's being dropped he said there not being dropped just won't be available till March 2014 (because of overstock). He did not know what upgrades (if any) or what new colors were being offered. Don't shoot the messenger.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:06 AM   #19841
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckchecker View Post
I'm not defending the US CBP, but a guess at their logic is a combination of two things: ............

[snip]
If you want to see upset people and anti-colonialism, take a pistol north into Canada, or get pulled over by a cop in Mexico without your Mexican insurance paper.
I understand all that and agree with it.

My problem is that the agreement I signed specifically stated that I needed documentary proof when the bike and I left the US. Now they are saying its the the whole of North America. On top of this was the threat of a $32,000 fine for non compliance.

I think I am gonna send em a video of the bike (inc VIN No.) and I at a prominent Mexican Landmark and they can chase me for the fine. Seriouly, I do not want to piss em off because we have had such a great time in the US and the people have been fantastic so I will come back if I live long enough.

I'm glad the rest of Americas citizens are a lot more welcoming.

Old Git Ray screwed with this post 09-14-2013 at 10:14 AM
Old Git Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:27 PM   #19842
scudrunner82
human whoopy cushion

Oddometer: 1,267
Question Mitas E07 Pressure

Anybody run the E07s on long trips and get a good handle on pressures to run? Just spooned some on my Super Tenere for a 6000 mile trip next week. The sidewall says 33PSI max but I'm hoping to run a bit more in back for the luggage weight, and highway portions.
Hoping the rear makes the whole trip but I'm prepared to swap a new one if I have to. I'm sure the front will be fine.

"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -Amelia Earheart
scudrunner82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:32 PM   #19843
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,912
Quote:
I'm glad the rest of Americas citizens are a lot more welcoming.
Piss off you wanker.

pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:57 PM   #19844
Johno33772
Johnny Africa

Oddometer: 791
I run around 30 one up & with Pillion 33psi. I just got 9k mi out of my rear E07 with probably another 2k left. Awesome tire....very popular in Africa & OZ.
Cheers
Old 09-14-2013, 06:07 PM   #19845
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Piss off you wanker.
That's more like it.....

Anyway...back on topic.

Rick sent me a bent rim that I straightened with a firemans axe and when I tried to put it back together I saw that the dealer that built the last one put some of the spokes in the wrong place. (This was along with putting it together oval.) The upshot of this is that there are 3 lengths of spoke in the rear wheel and the spoke heads are at different angles. When tightened up it over-stresses the rim. Nice.

On top of this as I stated previously the rear right wheel bearing had disintegrated .....

It took me a while to get it set up but now it is perfect and after getting it balanced the bike rides real smooth.

Oh, Rick. The spokes are hand tight now