Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2013, 07:48 PM   #19846
scudrunner82
human whoopy cushion

Oddometer: 1,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno33772 View Post
I run around 30 one up & with Pillion 33psi. I just got 9k mi out of my rear E07 with probably another 2k left. Awesome tire....very popular in Africa & OZ.
Cheers
Thanks,
Was this on your 800? What size do you run on that?

350, 450, 848, 900, 1190r

"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -Amelia Earheart
scudrunner82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:58 PM   #19847
pluric
Banned

Oddometer: 16,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post
That's more like it.....

Anyway...back on topic.

Rick sent me a bent rim that I straightened with a firemans axe and when I tried to put it back together I saw that the dealer that built the last one put some of the spokes in the wrong place. (This was along with putting it together oval.) The upshot of this is that there are 3 lengths of spoke in the rear wheel and the spoke heads are at different angles. When tightened up it over-stresses the rim. Nice.

It took me a while to get it set up but now it is perfect and after getting it balanced the bike rides real smooth.

Oh, Rick. The spokes are hand tight now
I did not know that. I've sent extra spokes as far as Poland to people who wanted spares.
Now I wonder what I sent them. Opps. Probably needed the nipples the most anyway.

I feel that my old rim just went from a mildly abusive relationship to a full on rim beater.
(Did that come out wrong?)
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:52 PM   #19848
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post

I feel that my old rim just went from a mildly abusive relationship to a full on rim beater.
(Did that come out wrong?)
Coming from you, that's a YES.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:09 AM   #19849
kpmsprtd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Old Git Ray, I just noticed the link to the story of your adventures. I could say that it has cost me an entire Saturday night, but in truth, it has been time well-spent. I guess the only way to really know one's own country is to see it through the eyes of a visitor. Fascinating!

By the way, Yamaha should pay you for selling Super Teneres. You are making it look like the serious workhorse that it is.
kpmsprtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:48 AM   #19850
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
K60 grip is decent enough in the dry even when ridden aggressively but if the road is a little wet or slimy they can be scary...
Yeah, I have no problem with their road grip on dry surfaces. The issue I have is right now is the rear tire has worn into a square shape, but still has tread left, soooo, when I'm leaning into a corner, the lean rate is gradual at first, but becomes very sudden when the square edge of the tire is reached. Pretty unsettling at times I recon it's time to bite the bullet and buy another rear tire.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:30 AM   #19851
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by tremor38 View Post
Yeah, I have no problem with their road grip on dry surfaces. The issue I have is right now is the rear tire has worn into a square shape, but still has tread left, soooo, when I'm leaning into a corner, the lean rate is gradual at first, but becomes very sudden when the square edge of the tire is reached. Pretty unsettling at times I recon it's time to bite the bullet and buy another rear tire.
That's exactly what happened to me. Still had more mileage left on the tire but the lean-in was no longer progressive, to put it mildly.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:35 AM   #19852
pluric
Banned

Quote:
Coming from you, that's a YES.
Good. Next time I need a rim job I know who to call.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:38 AM   #19853
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmsprtd View Post
Old Git Ray, I just noticed the link to the story of your adventures. I could say that it has cost me an entire Saturday night, but in truth, it has been time well-spent. I guess the only way to really know one's own country is to see it through the eyes of a visitor. Fascinating!

By the way, Yamaha should pay you for selling Super Teneres. You are making it look like the serious workhorse that it is.
Thank you. It is mainly aimed at keeping our family up to date as well as a diary for us. It is also a lot of work to do, especially if we leave it for a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tremor38 View Post
The way I see it, the K60s have a place in the grand scheme of things. They are designed for long distance steady mileage. Not for canyon blasting, wet weather testing or serious off road. In this respect they do a very good job. The guy that has clocked up 100k miles only used 4 sets.
In simple terms a hard tyre (K60) will last long but give crap performance, a grippy tyre will last only a few thousand miles but will be a blast in the meantime.
Previously I used TCKs and could hang out with the sports bikes but the last rear only gave me 3000 miles and I lost half of that in 3 days canyon blasting in Spain.

Quote:
Good. Next time I need a rim job I know who to call.
I always have to read your posts several times till I figure out which of the many possible meanings to respond to.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:47 AM   #19854
William42
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,558
Quote:
I always have to read your posts several times till I figure out which of the many possible meanings to respond to.
It is probably best not to read pluric's posts.

I do enjoy them.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:12 AM   #19855
AlsoRan
Lone Trail Of Dust

Oddometer: 390
Quote:

I find the S mode to be too abrupt for subtle throttle adjustments and the T mode too tame.
That was bugging me too. Ended up getting a custom map which gave T excellent performance. Got rid of the hit and gave it good linear power.
"T"oo much fun now.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:17 PM   #19856
pluric
Banned

Quote:
Oh, Rick. The spokes are hand tight now
Quote:

Yeah, I can't decide if you're better at hand jobs or rim jobs.

I'll let William42 be the judge if that.

Nice blog update by the way.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:21 PM   #19857
pluric
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlsoRan View Post
That was bugging me too. Ended up getting a custom map which gave T excellent performance. Got rid of the hit and gave it good linear power.
"T"oo much fun now.
Who did the custom mapping?
Old 09-15-2013, 02:41 PM   #19858
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 951
The Yamaha Super Tenere XT1200Z Big Thread

Quote:
Somebody recently requested an ECU-unleashed Flash gen 2 S-mode with an OEM T-mode. Or something similar.
Is this that custom flash?
Old 09-15-2013, 04:16 PM   #19859
Johno33772
Johnny Africa

Oddometer: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by scudrunner82 View Post
Thanks,
Was this on your 800? What size do you run on that?
Yes, on the 800 XC..150/17. Just installed the E07 "Dakar" version this past week. The front E07 ain't anything special.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:00 PM   #19860
AlsoRan
Lone Trail Of Dust

Oddometer: 390
Quote:
Ed had set it up through ECUnleashed to do the map for me. A lot of back and forth to get it right but it finally worked. I wanted to keep the latest S-mode but go back to the prior (first update) T-mode because it offered better performance for my bike. With this custom I do not think they used the exact T map from before, but more they smoothed out the S-mode. So far I have only put 400 miles on the new map but a few findings are:

1. Pulls harder than any prior T mode.
2. Power band is more linear and has a broader range (less shifting).
3. Fuel mileage seems to have not suffered (but will need more miles to verify).
4. Smooth throttle response at freeway speeds.

The only surprise is that it's harder to distinct between S and T now and I can get the TCS light to come on under hard acceleration. Could not with old T. But the objective for me was to get an all-around good performing T but still have the drag race-ability of S. I'm still getting to know it but so far I'm really liking the update and feel that it's real close to what I was looking for.

By the way, there was never a Gen-1, only a Gen-2 and Gen-2 "update" (latest), adding to a lot confusion through all of this.