Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2013, 04:15 PM   #19861
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Yeah, I can't decide if you're better at hand jobs or rim jobs.
I rest my case..

Quote:
Nice blog update by the way.
Thanks...I think....
Old 09-15-2013, 04:28 PM   #19862
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by tremor38 View Post
Yeah, I have no problem with their road grip on dry surfaces. The issue I have is right now is the rear tire has worn into a square shape, but still has tread left, soooo, when I'm leaning into a corner, the lean rate is gradual at first, but becomes very sudden when the square edge of the tire is reached. Pretty unsettling at times I recon it's time to bite the bullet and buy another rear tire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
That's exactly what happened to me. Still had more mileage left on the tire but the lean-in was no longer progressive, to put it mildly.
Sissies....isn't this darksider handling? They all say they have way more traction..run over to perfect line, I think there is some recent threadwork on it..

VEGASGSA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:03 PM   #19863
scudrunner82
human whoopy cushion

Oddometer: 1,424
Thanks for the info. Seems like they should go the distance I'm looking to run. I installed the Dakar version in front and the normal 3 ply in back, thats all they had in stock when I ordered. From what I understand they are identical except for sidewall stiffness.

"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -Amelia Earheart
scudrunner82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:49 PM   #19864
Buckeye56
Batoutahelius

Oddometer: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post
Thank you. It is mainly aimed at keeping our family up to date as well as a diary for us. It is also a lot of work to do, especially if we leave it for a few days.
Plus one on the blog. I find it very interesting to read your take on the US. I had hoped I could meet you guys when you were in the eastern US but I was at the Isle of Man for the TT then. Anyway I am glad that you both have enjoyed your time in the states and that the rest of your journey goes well.

Trying is the first step towards failure.
Buckeye56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:10 PM   #19865
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlsoRan View Post

The only surprise is that it's harder to distinct between S and T now
To each his own but for me that would defeat the purpose of T mode. Have the Gen II update and spend 99 percent of the time in S mode but that 1 percent I'm in T mode I really value its mild power characteristics as I'm on very slippery roads.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:35 PM   #19866
Tonk
Frozen Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
I've been running 31psi on the Dakar E07 rear and the bike(800xc) handles great. About 2,000 miles so far and it looks like new. Can't comment on the front, running an IRC TR8 up there.
Tonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:36 PM   #19867
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 951
T-mode nice for rock crawling too. Especially 2-up and you are trying to pick your lines while staying around 10-15 mph.
This 1200 twin is just perfect for that situation. Like a John Deere.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:36 PM   #19868
scudrunner82
human whoopy cushion

Oddometer: 1,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonk View Post
I've been running 31psi on the Dakar E07 rear and the bike(800xc) handles great. About 2,000 miles so far and it looks like new. Can't comment on the front, running an IRC TR8 up there.
Sweet!!!!

"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -Amelia Earheart
scudrunner82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:09 PM   #19869
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlsoRan View Post
Ed had set it up through ECUnleashed to do the map for me. A lot of back and forth to get it right but it finally worked. I wanted to keep the latest S-mode but go back to the prior (first update) T-mode because it offered better performance for my bike. With this custom I do not think they used the exact T map from before, but more they smoothed out the S-mode. So far I have only put 400 miles on the new map but a few findings are:

1. Pulls harder than any prior T mode.
2. Power band is more linear and has a broader range (less shifting).
3. Fuel mileage seems to have not suffered (but will need more miles to verify).
4. Smooth throttle response at freeway speeds.

The only surprise is that it's harder to distinct between S and T now and I can get the TCS light to come on under hard acceleration. Could not with old T. But the objective for me was to get an all-around good performing T but still have the drag race-ability of S. I'm still getting to know it but so far I'm really liking the update and feel that it's real close to what I was looking for.

By the way, there was never a Gen-1, only a Gen-2 and Gen-2 "update" (latest), adding to a lot confusion through all of this.
My original reflash made S and T mode hard to tell apart. Very modest power increase.

Interesting to hear how your S mode got smoothed out. The 2nd gen S mode power increase is impressive
yet touchy. I can barely remember my original T mode feeling. The new one feels a little weak but very smooth
throttle response. I'd like to try it at sea level because that was the feeling I originally was hoping for with the reflash.
S mode probably is close or maybe even a tinge better than the stocker was at sea level. I have to watch the top
speed closer now. It cruises quite easy at triple digits where before it felt like it was running out of steam.
I find myself shifting for a 7th gear because it pulls 6th so easy now.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:18 PM   #19870
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Interesting to hear how your S mode got smoothed out. The 2nd gen S mode power increase is impressive
yet touchy.
How much throttle play do you have? I have a little bit and am just wondering if that's why S doesn't feel so touchy to me.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:34 PM   #19871
flyfishbc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
i have had the dakar on the back, and the 3 ply on the front. about 30 solo and 33 loaded. just did a trip to alaska , anchorage, fairbanks, arctic circle, etc. then home , smithers bc. about 7000km, and the back is about 70% still and the front about 60%. seems kinda odd. small cracks on the front too. overall they handle well, will buy again for sure.
flyfishbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:32 PM   #19872
AlsoRan
Lone Trail Of Dust

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
My original reflash made S and T mode hard to tell apart. Very modest power increase.

yet touchy. I can barely remember my original T mode feeling. The new one feels a little weak but very smooth
throttle response. I'd like to try it at sea level because that was the feeling I originally was hoping for with the reflash.
S mode probably is close or maybe even a tinge better than the stocker was at sea level. I have to watch the top
speed closer now. It cruises quite easy at triple digits where before it felt like it was running out of steam.
I find myself shifting for a 7th gear because it pulls 6th so easy now.
With this current reflash the S mode is the same as the latest Gen-2 "upgrade", no loss. Power increase is just as you describe impressive but touchy. Also you describe T mode performance for your elevation, but it is the same thing at sea level, at least on my bike. It is definitely weaker than the first reflash.

I may have stated incorrectly that they created a powerful T mode by using the S map but smoothing it out. There is a distinction between S and T but the gap has narrowed, T is now sort of in-between the S & T of what you have now. But there is absolutely no power "weakness" even to 5,000 feet. The throttle is not touchy as well so it makes it easy to control acceleration. I would have been happy with the exact T map of the first reflash, but this one is close enough to what I was trying to accomplish. Had fun going up the mountian 2-up yesterday, just 4th gear, 2,000 RPM to 5,000 - just roll it on and it goes.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:34 PM   #19873
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
How much throttle play do you have? I have a little bit and am just wondering if that's why S doesn't feel so touchy to me.
Probably a little more than normal. I'm going to take up some of the slack and try it.
I don't think that is the issue, but it's worth a shot.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:47 PM   #19874
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Probably a little more than normal. I'm going to take up some of the slack and try it.
I don't think that is the issue, but it's worth a shot.
I meant I've got a bit of play and thought that it prevents slight wrist movements from causing the bike to lurch forward.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:00 PM   #19875
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
I meant I've got a bit of play and thought that it prevents slight wrist movements from causing the bike to lurch forward.
Gotcha. After reading AlsoRan's opinion on the T mode power feeling it's a combination of
the large difference between T and S modes after the reflash and how mellow the T mode is now.

I used to be a S mode only user. Now I switch it on when I sense a need for a passing boost,
know I'll be climbing a long hill or just need a nice shits and giggles grin.