User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2013, 11:01 PM   #19876
fingerlakes_ny
n00b

Oddometer: 9
OEM Protection?

Hey all, going to be getting a new S10 here soon. I want to get crash bars and a skid plate to start for sure. I figured it would be easiest to go with Yamaha parts because I see that some skid plates require aftermarket oil pan parts or something and I don't want to have to deal with a lot of modifications or using special parts. However it seems like most people choose aftermarket stuff like Altrider, SW-motech, and others. Is there anything wrong per se with Yamaha accessories or is it all down to preference? I want quality protection but don't care about being able to say "yeah, I spent $700 on this sweet aftermarket skid plate" When it does the same as anything else! Input appreciated from an ADV bike noob :-)
fingerlakes_ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:09 PM   #19877
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerlakes_ny View Post
Hey all, going to be getting a new S10 here soon. I want to get crash bars and a skid plate to start for sure. I figured it would be easiest to go with Yamaha parts because I see that some skid plates require aftermarket oil pan parts or something and I don't want to have to deal with a lot of modifications or using special parts. However it seems like most people choose aftermarket stuff like Altrider, SW-motech, and others. Is there anything wrong per se with Yamaha accessories or is it all down to preference? I want quality protection but don't care about being able to say "yeah, I spent $700 on this sweet aftermarket skid plate" When it does the same as anything else! Input appreciated from an ADV bike noob :-)
The Yamaha skid plate works great as a stone deflector but you'll risk breaking the oil sump that it's bolted to if you plan on bouncing off big rocks. In that case you'd want a frame mounted skid plate. I would personally recommend this one. Has to come off for oil changes but it's very easy to remove. http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-XT120...2&vxp=mtr#shId
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:02 AM   #19878
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
The Yamaha skid plate works great as a stone deflector but you'll risk breaking the oil sump that it's bolted to if you plan on bouncing off big rocks. In that case you'd want a frame mounted skid plate. I would personally recommend this one. Has to come off for oil changes but it's very easy to remove. http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-XT120...2&vxp=mtr#shId
+ 1 Agree.

The heated grips, although the controller is a bit "Steam punk" are OK.
The panniers are OK as long as you locktite the locks and be careful about that aspect.
The yamaha guard is a stone deflector only. Do not whack it too hard.
I have an ACD and would recommend it although it's still not $700.00 I am sure you can convince people it is

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:40 AM   #19879
fingerlakes_ny
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Ok, so you've changed my mind on the skid plate at least. How is the Yamaha crash bar?
fingerlakes_ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:10 AM   #19880
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,917
Quote:
Ok, so you've changed my mind on the skid plate at least. How is the Yamaha crash bar?
Great if you like children. They always want to play on your bike because
it looks like you have this mounted to it.

Personally I use Altrider sidebars.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:23 AM   #19881
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,287
Quote:
Generally, for the Tenere you'll find better protection for less money with the aftermarket items. The Yam crash bar is a bit of a cow catcher.

Boxes are kind of a subjective choice and a lot of folks like the looks of the OEM boxes, but there are many great choices.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:22 AM   #19882
Dirtbiker78
Getting there...

Oddometer: 162
I have the Altrider crash bars and the ACD skid plate. You can't go wrong with them at all. I've put both through the ringer already and they held up really well with 0 damage to the bike. In hind sight, I should have gotten the silver crash bars cause the black ones show up scratches really easily (but that's nothing a bit of rattle can paint can't fix)

Dirtbiker78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:24 AM   #19883
William42
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Probably a little more than normal. I'm going to take up some of the slack and try it.
I don't think that is the issue, but it's worth a shot.
Did you do the air screw adjustment and the throttle body sync?
Old 09-16-2013, 09:26 AM   #19884
William42
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,402
Quote:
I don't know about the Yamaha crash bar but the Altrider crash bar worked fine for me.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:28 AM   #19885
Thagua
Let's go adventuring...

Oddometer: 343
Yamaha crash bars

Quote:
Great if you like children. They always want to play on your bike because
it looks like you have this mounted to it.

Personally I use Altrider sidebars.
Hi Fingerakes, combine both Yamaha lower engine protection and Altrider and you have the best of both. Send the upper Yamaha protection to Pluric for his kids. Regarding sump protection you might try the Krauser which is not bolted to the sump and make a front end mod to grab the guard on the two upper bolts that hold the engine.
Cheers,
Roberto

Old 09-16-2013, 09:29 AM   #19886
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by William42 View Post
Did you do the air screw adjustment and the throttle body sync?
Way back when even before the original reflash. In T mode throttle roll on is smooth as
can be, just wimpy on power. Switch to S mode and the inner beast comes out. Just that
it's very throttle sensitive to minor input.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:34 AM   #19887
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thagua View Post
Hi Fingerakes, combine both Yamaha lower engine protection and Altrider and you have the best of both. Send the upper Yamaha protection to Pluric for his kids. Regarding sump protection you might try the Krauser which is not bolted to the sump and make a front end mod to grab the guard on the two upper bolts that hold the engine.
Cheers,
Roberto

Yes, I promised them monkey bars for Christmas.

Old 09-16-2013, 03:07 PM   #19888
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,966
Quote:

Lots of good suggestions here and it's ultimately dependant on your use. As others have found though, the Yam stone deflector can result in cracked crankcases if it takes a decent hit.

I have recently gone through a similar process and ended up with AltRider bars and a Hepco Becker plate, plus some other odds and ends. Details are in the link in my sig FWIW.

Old 09-16-2013, 09:06 PM   #19889
avc8130
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thagua View Post
Cheers,
Roberto
Roberto,

Do you have more info/pics of that Krauser skid plate? It looks pretty cool and I don't think there is much info about them on here.

ac
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:23 PM   #19890
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,298
Quote:
Yes, I promised them monkey bars for Christmas.

Sod the monkey bars, give them an adventure playground...