Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2013, 05:58 AM   #19996
japako
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie boy View Post
I had horrible vibration problems when I first purchased my bike. It was putting my hands and feet to sleep. I honestly was concerned about nerve damage because it would take my hands a day or two to recover after an extended ride. I raised hell with the selling dealership and with Yamaha customer service and was told that there was nothing they could do. Quite often I was told here, "My bike doesn't do that, it must be in your head". In short, I know what you are going through.

You mention in your post your upcoming 6000 mile service. You would think that at this point your bike would be broken in but mine wasn't. I currently have about 17,000 miles on mine and I swear it gets a little smoother all the time. The tingling and numb hands are now a thing of the past. If I could offer two bits of advice. The first would be to ride your bike and ride it hard. Obviously don't abuse it but DO NOT baby it. I purposely shifted higher in the rev range to force the motor to break in. I also took it to the twisties near here where you tend to rev it higher and have constant rpm changes. It helped a lot. In fact, I noticed a marked improvement after a certain weekend chasing my buddies all over the mountains. Secondly, buy yourself a pair of Grip Puppies. I paid about $10 American but they are worth ten times that in terms of comfort.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_1zgyt9fd96_b

I hope this works for you. I know how frustrating it can be.

Plus 100 on this. I used the Rox anti vibe risers and grip puppies.
It did take some time, but after I had some miles on it the vibes seemed to go away and it became a really great bike. I also had Gen 1 flash.

Use the risers and grip puppies, you will notice a difference.
japako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:22 AM   #19997
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by japako View Post
Plus 100 on this. I used the Rox anti vibe risers and grip puppies.
It did take some time, but after I had some miles on it the vibes seemed to go away and it became a really great bike. I also had Gen 1 flash.

Use the risers and grip puppies, you will notice a difference.
... and a Cramp Buster on the throttle. I get vibes on long straight bits and it just allows me to relax the grip enough to stop the vibes getting through. When I get into town I simply turn it around out of the way.

I still get vibes on mine after 28k miles. Although the state of tune does make a big difference. I have O2 optimsiders fitted along with my PCV.
They induced so much vibration at mid range when cruising that I could not ride the bike. I disconnected them and the bike was perfectly useable.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:52 AM   #19998
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,286
I really never think about the throttle or fueling program until I read this thread.

That said, I'll probably do this ECU thing sometime next year.
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:32 AM   #19999
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Strange that your ECUnleashed dealer would say that the flash didn't tone down vibes as a number of owners have reported that the bike got smoother. It would be nice if you could try some S10s with more mileage, no other owners in your area?

If I was shopping for another bike down under, I would give the Honda Crosstourer a good look....
Smart dealer, as soon as you say something like that the customer will expect miracle results.
Then you did the reflash wrong and it's not as smooth as 'promised'. Next you owe them a new bike.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:39 AM   #20000
Jim Rowley
Rise above

Oddometer: 2,433
Could out of synch throttle bodies cause the vibration?
Old 09-30-2013, 09:06 AM   #20001
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticyclone View Post
Red Dust-

Is there any chance that the throttle bodies were balanced incorrectly? Might be worth getting that checked again. Remember that the idiots working at a dealership are idiots. I know mine vibrated like a harley before I balanced the throttle bodies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dust View Post
Might take it to a different mechanic which I know is really good and balance the throttle bodies, could synthetic oil make a difference compared to mineral oil in this matter? Did I mention this forum is great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketJohn View Post
I really never think about the throttle or fueling program until I read this thread.

That said, I'll probably do this ECU thing sometime next year.
Hey Jim, I guess it's better to be late to the party than not show up at all.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:27 AM   #20002
Jim Rowley
Rise above

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Hey Jim, I guess it's better to be late to the party than not show up at all.
Ooops. I only have internet access at work. Shhhhh... I usually have 3-5 pages to catch up if I have time.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:06 AM   #20003
pretbek
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtiger View Post

I was channeling my "inner Wan"... although not two up.
What kind of tires did you have on this ride?

Looks like fun, almost had a detour down the hill at around 3:45.
These are the kinds of roads I hope I find on my Versys, I just ride them a bit slower than you do on the Tenere.
pretbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:12 AM   #20004
SpaceManSpiff
Man of Mystery

Oddometer: 1,075
^^^ he had K60s on it.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:49 AM   #20005
William42
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar View Post
Or *have* ridden a flashed bike and are just galled at the thought of throwing $500 at a bike that should have been right for its $13K price.

Bottom line...stay out of WOT above 5K RPM and the CJM will do just fine.
Do your really ride like that?
Old 09-30-2013, 10:54 AM   #20006
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rowley View Post
AFAIK the synch will only effect very low throttle openings. It is a fine tune and when the throttle bodies are halfway open (like when fast cruising) any difference will be so minimal as to not be noticeable.

Of course I could be talking bollocks which is more likely.

Anyway, seems from your last that your house is not yet sorted. How is it going ?
Old 09-30-2013, 11:21 AM   #20007
Langolier
Cycleologist

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rowley View Post
Might have somthing here:

"What are the symptoms of throttle bodies being out of synch?"

Increased vibration - TBS balances the power output of the cylinders (vacuum level is an indication of power output - less vacuum means that throttle plate is open further, and the cylinder is working harder relative to the other cylinder).

Taken from:
http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl1000-2...out-synch.html
Old 09-30-2013, 11:36 AM   #20008
Jim Rowley
Rise above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post
AFAIK the synch will only effect very low throttle openings. It is a fine tune and when the throttle bodies are halfway open (like when fast cruising) any difference will be so minimal as to not be noticeable.

Of course I could be talking bollocks which is more likely.

Anyway, seems from your last that your house is not yet sorted. How is it going ?
Hi Ray,
The exterior walls are up as is the roof. The tar paper is on and the shingles will go on tomorrow. The interior walls are roughed in. The plumber showed up yesterday (yes, Sunday) at 9:00 AM and worked until 7:30 PM. He's finishing up today for an inspection tomorrow. It's all blindingly fast. The contractor is cracking that whip. He thinks we'll be in by Christmas. It would be a nice present.

How's the journey? Our best to you and Karen.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:52 AM   #20009
Langolier
Cycleologist

Oddometer: 48
From same thread as noted above:

Ok, here are a few symptoms that you will find when you are due for a throttle body synch.

1) - Increased vibration at all rpm. It is hard to pick up at idle, you'll certainly notice it at the smooth spot (DL1000) between 4 - 5.5k rpm. At 4.5k the 1000 should be damn near smooth as glass with no vibration at all from the engine, if you feel any it's time. It will also feel very rough on acceleration, to me it sort of sounds like a growling dog. The engine gets a kind of GRRRR sound and feel to it. I know this is quite subjective but that's what comes to my mind. Also a day long trip will start causing numbness in the hands by rides end. 90 degree twins are balanced, when out of tune they induce vibration.

Langolier screwed with this post 09-30-2013 at 12:01 PM
Langolier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:10 PM   #20010
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langolier View Post
At 4.5k the 1000 should be damn near smooth as glass with no vibration at all from the engine, if you feel any it's time.
This sets an unrealistic expectation of what a TBS can do, especially on the S10. Slog a S10 with a load, up a hill, into a headwind at full throttle and I don't care what the RPM is, you're going to get some serious vibes. (And with the S10's modest RWHP, this situation can happen quite a bit.)

That's the trouble with all these vibes discussion - it so subjective and there are so many variables. My S10 is glass smooth some of the time, has a little thrumming some of the time, and vibes pretty good some of the time, depending on temp, load, RPM, winds, road conditions, etc. I don't think you can put a fine point on it. Certainly if a bike vibes more than "normal" (meaning the average for that model), a TBS can sometimes help.

Someone else suggested riding other examples of the same bike as a good starting point. I completely agree. And more times than not, when someone does this, they come back saying that if the other bike vibrates less, it is only slightly less. Some riders are just particularly sensitive to certain types of vibration and miles and careful tune will only go so far. Some are going to have a problem with virtually any large-displacement twin; others are going to have their hands and feet fall asleep with even the smoothest inline-four. There are even folks complaining about vibration with BMW's six! I think a lot of the perception that vibes get better over time is simply the rider adjusting to the situation.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote