Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2013, 09:45 PM   #20026
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer1735 View Post
I have a new-to-me 2012 Super Tenere and I need some input regarding the license lamp assembly. On my bike, the entire assembly seems to fit very loose, there is about 1/8" between the assembly and the fender housing that it fits in to.
Yes it does, so does the instrument cluster.

These are just some of the things that are different to a road bike. There is flex and squish built in to help prevent problems off road in the rough.

This is a not a jacked up street bike.

It's a bush pig.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:46 PM   #20027
Superstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
While I have to echo Pluric's eloquent rebuttal... I also have to laugh, out loud, a lot...

At what price do you think Yamaha should charge for how the bike is delivered? $500 less? A thousand?

How do you feel about the Super Tenere not coming with a skid plate? Or less than perfect suspension? What about the rear rack that's more of an ornament than useful for carrying stuff?

Or would you rather have all the bells and whistles the Beemer WetHead has, and its claimed increased power - at a BMW price - even though you might sacrifice the Yamaha's bulletproof reliability?

Perhaps you buy bikes like people buy appliances... but I buy to help stir my soul, and to make the ride there more memorable than the destination. Not operate the bike at WOT above 5,000 RPM??? You've really got to be kidding, right??? You may want to ride like you're driving a school bus, but that's not me... Nor do I think it's the vast majority of the "adventure" bike buyers out there, or Super Tenere customers, either.

Do you bemoan the fact that some Super Tenere's came with Metzler Tourance EXP's while other came with arguably inferior Bridgestone Battlewing's? Do you claim Yamaha charged you too much because perhaps the stock seat doesn't work for you? Or the stock windscreen? Or stock handlebars? Perhaps I'm missing something, but I really don't hold a grudge against Yamaha because they didn't come consult me directly before release of the Super Tenere... I'm just glad they decided to sell it here!!!

But, hey... If you prefer a band-aid to a real performance improvement (let's not forget the many reports that the ECUnleashed Gen 2 re-flash also improves fuel economy) then by all means, go with the CJM... And when you ride off-road just ignore buying a decent skid plate and instead curse Yamaha for not giving you one in the $13-grand you paid... If the seat doesn't work for you by all means flip Yamaha the bird and suffer a sore bum and more frequent stops... If the bars make your wrists ache don't change 'em, just tell yourself it's too expensive and too much trouble to swap 'em and that you can live with it... All while riding around under 5,000 RPM and missing a lot of enjoyment of a truly magnificent motorcycle.

Yep, that's the answer!!! Curse the night and miss enjoying the day!!!

But me... I love my ECUnleashed re-flash... And my Parabellum windscreen... and my Penske shock and Stoltec-modded forks... not to mention both my Cee Bailey's *AND* Seat Concepts modded seats... Etc., etc., etc.!!!

And imagine how friggin' pissed those BMW, KTM, and Multistrada owners must feel when they have to spend any $$$ to improve their bikes!!!

Dallara

~
I'm not trying to start a flame war with arguably the biggest Tenere fan on the interwebz over a KNOWN shortcoming of the model, but the farkle examples you gave are not relevant to the performance of the platform itself..they are accessories..it's a huge reach and smacks of zealotry.

I like the bike, a LOT, but I'm not so enamored with it to not admit that it is a DOG (for a 1200cc) sans CJM or ECU flash. It just is. Many chalk up the fact that they rot on dealership floors to the fact that it demos so poorly...to the point where if we even get a '14, it will be well after the other models of the same year to give dealers time to clear out the ones they have right now and can't move.

Reasonable people can like something while still being able to point out its shortcomings.

Anyway, I'm going to keep my ten-cent CJM for a while to see if the promised '14 improvements materialize. If so, the $500 will be better spent on it. If not, I'll re-evaluate the ECU flash...who knows, perhaps there will be a Gen3 flash by then. Until that day comes, I have a WR250r (with a well-sorted factory ECU) to farkle.
Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:59 PM   #20028
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar View Post

Anyway, I'm going to keep my ten-cent CJM for a while to see if the promised '14 improvements materialize. If so, the $500 will be better spent on it. If not, I'll re-evaluate the ECU flash...who knows, perhaps there will be a Gen3 flash by then. Until that day comes, I have a WR250r (with a well-sorted factory ECU) to farkle.
Hey I would agree if the big girl was designated a WR1200R, but it's an XT.

I think it was designed with MAMITS in mind not rally racers.

For some reason these low gear restrictions are common across Japanese brands. I still don't know what the explanation is and I'm not going down the path that they don't know enough to get it right. It is done on purpose. 50% of owners don't give a shit and it works well off road. Exactly the same place test rides aren't done.

Hence why I bought it. I don't think it will last like that. It has to work really well on tarmac for 1 hour max. That, and impressing road reviewers is what it seems to sell bikes

But hey, since YAMAHA is getting in touch with their dark side now, I am hoping it's more KTM dark side than GS dark side.

But yeah, it seems a bit silly to tune an engine for low down torque and then cobble the low down torque. I mean then you are behind on maximum power and low end grunt all at once.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
Old 09-30-2013, 11:34 PM   #20029
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,344
Quote:
I have a new-to-me 2012 Super Tenere and I need some input regarding the license lamp assembly. On my bike, the entire assembly seems to fit very loose, there is about 1/8" between the assembly and the fender housing that it fits in to.
I know this seems trivial, but I don't want to lhave my light assempbly either shake itself loose or, just as bad, take on water because it isn't seated properly.
Until your post, I had never noticed this, but you're right, it has a lot of play. I don't know whether this is good or bad, but I can tell you that I've never heard of anyone having an issue in this area and my bike was 22K miles and the light works fine. I don't think it is broken, so I'd suggest you not fix it.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:08 AM   #20030
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,429
Quote:
I know this seems trivial, but I don't want to lhave my light assempbly either shake itself loose or, just as bad, take on water because it isn't seated properly.
Looking at parts fiche, there is a speed nut, a grommet, a collar, a washer and the 8mm bolt that holds it all together. But I'm not sure mine is assembled correctly, as the entire housing shadkes about in a very loose manner.
Does the grommet fits like a standard grommet and goes thru the rear fender housing, then the collar extends thru it from the rear? Thats how mine is, but the bolt won't pull the assembly up snug to the fender in this manner. The parts fiche make it appear that the grommet is more of a bumper, stting between the collare and the lamp assembly.
I noticed this when I got the bike and first washed it. (doesn't happen often.)

Took it apart and it's supposed to be that way, like Graham wrote.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:35 AM   #20031
20valves
Yamaholic

Oddometer: 436
Quote:
...[the stock Super Tenere] is a DOG (for a 1200cc) sans CJM or ECU flash. It just is.
So you've obviously been been running around off road with the throttle pinned and found the machine wanting a bit? Seriously, can you use more power than the stock ST has in a low traction situation? Turn the TC completely off and then go hammer the throttle on a gravel road and tell us how much more power you could have used. You know for only about $8,000 more you could have a Multistrada. I rarely ponder how to get my 575 pound bike to go much faster off road than it already can. And I have little trouble keeping up with my Multistrada mounted friends on curvy pavement.

I have left my ST completely stock and yes, the fueling off idle is far from ideal. However, with the smallest bit of effort on my part over time I have learned to "ride around" the issue and it simply does not bother me. I've lived my horsepower days for sure and while the ST doesn't have a power surplus, it has plenty. If you bought this bike to be a hot shit street racer, you bought the wrong bike.

It's possible to bitch and whine about anything if you focus on shortcomings but life's too short for that. This bike reliably performs its intended mission very well, imho.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:56 AM   #20032
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20valves View Post
I have left my ST completely stock and yes, the fueling off idle is far from ideal. However, with the smallest bit of effort on my part over time I have learned to "ride around" the issue and it simply does not bother me. I've lived my horsepower days for sure and while the ST doesn't have a power surplus, it has plenty. If you bought this bike to be a hot shit street racer, you bought the wrong bike.
This surprises me. I know from the FJR site you like your track days and flogging R1s as well as
your FJR. I don't think money is much of an object so I guess I'm a little curious as to why,
knowing there is an easy performance upgrade available, you at least don't try it?

Off road I can understand. On road you don't feel the need for a little more grin factor?
pluric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:02 AM   #20033
Greg the pole
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Tenere headlight issues explained

Freshly blogged for all y'all this morning
http://thetenerist.wordpress.com/201...clarification/
Greg the pole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:08 AM   #20034
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

I thought that was corrected in later production models. No?

My candle kept blowing out until I put the OEM lens protectors on.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:26 PM   #20035
Greg the pole
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
I thought that was corrected in later production models. No?

My candle kept blowing out until I put the OEM lens protectors on.
ah I see, my kerosene model runs just fine.
Not sure if an actual fix was done by yamaha
Greg the pole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:50 PM   #20036
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post

Of course
when I went out to test ride it there was a police officer who felt the need to test his radar at the
same time. I actually told him why I was speeding and showed him the shiny new pipes.
One of the few times I got off with a lecture and no ticket.
Reminded me of a night back in 82(?) that I had just pulled my GS1000E off of a dyno run and was asked to "go see how it feels".

Turned the corner and whacked the throttle. A perfect straight up wheelie.
When my headlight finished shining at the stars, it lit up a dark HPD traffic cop parked down the road.
I didn't even wait for the cherries to light up. Just pulled up and parked right in front of him. Took the helmet off and readied myself for the routine.

But, after just telling the truth, and explaining what a dyno was actually used for, he let me go. Told me to do my "dyno testing" somewhere else.

Those were the days. :)
Old 10-01-2013, 04:07 PM   #20037
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
Those were the days. :)
Don't get many breaks, but when you do it sure feels good.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:11 PM   #20038
ereneT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
I had a car fooling me on the left lane on the highway the other night, with the all the lights I couldn't see who was behind me, so I decided to change lane and there they were, right beside me, I could see the front of the car with out me turn my head, but they were slowing down with me.
I had to turn my head and when I did I got scared, the officer on the passenger seat was screaming from inside of his window, I could read his lips "SLOW THE F#CK DOWN"
I don't usually get this lucky, they must've liked my Tenere :)
ereneT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:32 PM   #20039
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,796
Laugh No bike is perfect, at any price... Nor is any rider...

Quote:
I'm not trying to start a flame war with arguably the biggest Tenere fan on the interwebz over a KNOWN shortcoming of the model, but the farkle examples you gave are not relevant to the performance of the platform itself..they are accessories..it's a huge reach and smacks of zealotry.

Pure straw-man rebuttal, but I'll play...

While I certainly enjoy my Super Tenere, I doubt I qualify as the "biggest Tenere fan on the interwebz"... I know I'm pretty portly, but IIRC there are a couple of guys who outweigh me by quite a bit.

"KNOWN shortcoming"? That all sort of depends on your perspective, doesn't it? The very vast majority of Super Tenere owners in the world certainly don't have a re-flash, and I'd bet that few owners outside of internet forums are even aware of the CJM. But regardless of that, you're actually making my own point for me... If you really think that the 1st-thru-3rd gear restrictions, etc. of the bike are such a "KNOWN shortcoming" then why on Earth would you want to address it with a potentially damaging band-aid when a re-flash cures that "KNOWN shortcoming" properly?

More than that... If you were aware that the Super Tenere had such a "KNOWN shortcoming" that chapped your arse so cherry red, but you weren't prepared (or financially capable) of addressing it properly, then why did you buy such a horrendously terrible motorcycle in the first place?

I also have a tough, tough time understanding how you can call replacing the stock Super Tenere rear shock with a custom-built Penske and having the front forks completely revalved and re-sprung by Stoltec some kind of minor "farkle example"... Seems pretty major to me. In fact, the Super Tenere's stock suspension is by far the bike's biggest "shortcoming" out of the box...

But again, I think bike's reliability, large dealer network, basic package, etc. is worth investing around $1,400 in suspension upgrades, but more on that in a moment...

Quote:
I like the bike, a LOT, but I'm not so enamored with it to not admit that it is a DOG (for a 1200cc) sans CJM or ECU flash. It just is. Many chalk up the fact that they rot on dealership floors to the fact that it demos so poorly...to the point where if we even get a '14, it will be well after the other models of the same year to give dealers time to clear out the ones they have right now and can't move.

A "DOG"? As compared to what? And for what purpose? The Super Tenere was designed and developed to be a *DUAL-PURPOSE* adventure touring bike with broad, controllable, easy-to-use power *OFF-ROAD*... It's fairly apparent Yamaha did not intend for it to be a Ducati Multistrada competitor (read road bike adventure-poseur), otherwise it would have come with a 17" front wheel, road tires, and more high-end horsepower instead of mid-range, rock-crawling grunt that allows you to ride all day without fatigue or drama.

Maybe it's you that saw something that wasn't there, or bought the wrong bike for the riding you planned to do. No shame in that. Happens all the time.

Quote:
Reasonable people can like something while still being able to point out its shortcomings.

Yep, which is exactly why I have done what I have to my own Super Tenere...

- I didn't like the 1st-thru-3rd gear throttle restrictions, so first I tried the CJM, realized it was a for-sh*t band-aid that wasn't worth the trouble, and I got ECUnleashed Gen 1 re-flash. Then when they offered the free Gen 2 upgrade I got that, too.

- I thought the stock suspension was crap, so I had Stoltec re-work the forks and got me a Penske shock.

- The Super Tenere's windshield is nothing more than an ornament to me, so I changed it to something that worked better.

- Ditto the stock seat, which is also crap, so I changed it.

- I thought Yamaha was daft for not equipping the Super Tenere with cruise control (something they've had on other models for literally decades), so I did something about it and got an Excel throttle lock.

I could go on, but you get the idea... Reasonable people, like me, can still like a bike, point out its shortcomings, and THEN DO SOMETHING ABOUT THEM...

Rather than just whine, moan, and complain about them, about Yamaha, and how they should have gotten more for their money, etc.

Quote:

Yep, nothing quite like cutting your own nose off to spite your face, then putting a band-aid on it rather than having the proper reconstructive surgery... That way you can whine a lot about it and blame it all on Yamaha!!!

I'm still amazed, though... At how you can claim the ECU is such a "KNOWN shortcoming" yet you claim to never use WOT above 5,000 RPM... And even more amazed that you aren't bitching about the pure crap stock suspension like I did!!!

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists office. - Unknown

'Cos it's easier to try than to prove it can't be done, and it's easier to stay than to turn around and run. - Justin Hayward

Dallara screwed with this post 10-01-2013 at 10:13 PM
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:45 PM   #20040
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ereneT View Post
I had to turn my head and when I did I got scared, the officer on the passenger seat was screaming from inside of his window, I could read his lips "SLOW THE F#CK DOWN"
Shit. Amazing. With only 90HP and all.

They don't do that in OZ. They pull you over give you a bill. All smiles and no swearing.