ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2013, 03:39 PM   #20191
Superstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Nov 5th!
Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:16 PM   #20192
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,982
Laugh Does make ya' wonder, don't it?

Quote:

Amen, Pluric!!! Hallelujah & Amen!!!

Ya' know... It's funny. I see so many guys who whine and moan about the cost of an ECUnleashed re-flash, most of those saying things like "the bike should have come that way from the factory" or "I'm not paying for a re-flash when Yamaha should have done it in the first place...", etc., etc., etc.

And yet these are often the same guys who just dropped *THOUSANDS* on crash bars, skid plates, GPS mounts, fourteen lights, gigantic side cases made of unobtanium, a $400 seat re-build, etc., etc., etc.... All of which adds weight that saps "performance"...

Or better yet, they've just bought an $700 or $800 aftermarket muffler, stating they want to lose that dreaded 4 or 5 lbs they save along with supposedly gaining extra flow for "performance"...

And the best ones are the ones who claim the CJM is "just as good as a re-flash", etc., yet they have never even ridden a bike with a re-flash...

But there they are... Heads in the sand, just like in your picture... Firmly denouncing the price of the ECU re-flash as they dream longingly of getting throughly buggered purchasing the latest overpriced Touratech farkle...

I dunno'... I just don't get it. The ECU re-flash is arguably the very best mod one can make to the bike, especially on a bang-for-the-buck, cost/benefit ratio basis, and a way, way better investment than any pipe if one is looking for "performance", but yet there they are, wiggling their ears to get their heads buried ever deeper in the sand... WTF is up with that?

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists office. - Unknown

'Cos it's easier to try than to prove it can't be done, and it's easier to stay than to turn around and run. - Justin Hayward
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:52 PM   #20193
daveburton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
defenders

I've read a lot of interesting stuff here but there seems to be a group that are overly defending the bike.

I think the vibration and the lack of power low down criticisms are valid. I have 2 x S10s and a GSA. I rode 2000 miles last week on the BM, great bike but more vibs than the Yamahas both through the bars and footrests. I find the seats about the same in terms of long distance (low seat on the 2 Yamahas). I rode my US S10 out of the show room and did 10,000 miles on it in 21 days, no complaints at all apart from fork oil seals blown. Characteristics are different to the BMW, heavier at low speeds to steer where the BMW is excellent and very maneuverable, BMW faster (feels faster) but Yamaha very stable and probably a bit better on dirt roads.

I wish the Yamaha had the power sorted, if it did it would be the better option for me. Fuel capacity on the GSA is fantastic benefit though. Wish the Yamaha had 32ltrs or a bit more.

I have mods on all my bikes but get no pleasure in making them or sorting out what is needed, I wish the Yamaha had addressed what many are not too happy with on here. The very criticisms I have seen on here are the ones I have to some extent. The changes would cost Yamaha nothing.

Having said all that both bikes are great, when I ride one I wish I could try the other.

Does anyone have a comprehensive list of changes they would make in order of priority. I'd like to be able to wheel the S10 in and then wheel it out sorted.

dave
daveburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:07 PM   #20194
Superstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveburton View Post
I've read a lot of interesting stuff here but there seems to be a group that are overly defending the bike.

I think the vibration and the lack of power low down criticisms are valid. I have 2 x S10s and a GSA. I rode 2000 miles last week on the BM, great bike but more vibs than the Yamahas both through the bars and footrests. I find the seats about the same in terms of long distance (low seat on the 2 Yamahas). I rode my US S10 out of the show room and did 10,000 miles on it in 21 days, no complaints at all apart from fork oil seals blown. Characteristics are different to the BMW, heavier at low speeds to steer where the BMW is excellent and very maneuverable, BMW faster (feels faster) but Yamaha very stable and probably a bit better on dirt roads.

I wish the Yamaha had the power sorted, if it did it would be the better option for me. Fuel capacity on the GSA is fantastic benefit though. Wish the Yamaha had 32ltrs or a bit more.

I have mods on all my bikes but get no pleasure in making them or sorting out what is needed, I wish the Yamaha had addressed what many are not too happy with on here. The very criticisms I have seen on here are the ones I have to some extent. The changes would cost Yamaha nothing.

Having said all that both bikes are great, when I ride one I wish I could try the other.

Does anyone have a comprehensive list of changes they would make in order of priority. I'd like to be able to wheel the S10 in and then wheel it out sorted.

dave
Agreed. It's zealotry pure and simple.

It's a really good bike that I like and enjoy quite a bit, but I'm not so overly enamored that I can't see the (admittedly few) pimples and hope they get sorted on the '14. I know many here have owned many more, but after 20 or so street bikes in my life I have a good idea of what I think a GREAT bike looks like...and this one is really close. Time will tell if the '14 is closer.

I agree with Dallara in that if you ARE going to spend $500 on a brand-new $12K motorcycle, the ECU flash should be first. As I have said before, if the '14 announcement doesn't blow my skirt up, I'll be first in line to flash my '12.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:32 PM   #20195
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,395
Quote:

dave
Dave, my top mod recommendation would be the ECUnleashed flash hands down. IMO it turns a good bike into a great one, eliminating all the negatives about the motor (vibration, poor low end power) and changing into a smooth, arm yanking beast that will put a huge smile on your face everytime you ride it.

I rode my post-flash bike back to back with my friend's 2013 LC GS in dynamic mode and couldn't tell any power difference on the twisty road we were on. Then I rode my other friend's '08 GSA (with a PCV and Akra full system) and his motor felt much more lethargic. He LOVED the S10, commenting about how fast the motor spins up and how hard it pulls.

The only other mod I would highly recommend for anyone would be to convert the headlight's H7 bulbs to Morimoto Elite HIDs. You will be blown away with how bright the headlight becomes. And because of the shutter system, they are completely inoffensive to oncoming traffic on low beam.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:46 PM   #20196
StorckWhip
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
I will admit that the BMW GSA planted the seed in my brain for the Tenere. When I demo'd the Multistrada when it came out, the dealer was doing an out on a GSA, back on the Multi kind of thing. Anyway, I was sort of impressed by the Duc (fast...blah blah blah), but found myself actually loving the GSA. It felt huge, but just awesome for how you could see over things (like car roofs). I wasn't tempted to do anything dumb on the Duc, but I seriously considered tearing off across a field to get around a plodding car while on the GSA.

Anyway, I felt the GSA was...slowish but acceptable. Exactly the way I felt when I got the Tenere. I did the flash after about 12,000 miles and it just completely transformed the bike. Nobody much mentions rev matching on downshifts, but the first thing I noticed after I flashed the bike was how much easier it was to rev match. Quicker revving, and with the 30% restriction in gears 1-3 the bike can't help but feel transformed. It's smoother/happier enough now that I run 5/6 gear when I would have run 4/5. Well worth the money and I'm a cheap SOB.
StorckWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:20 PM   #20197
daveburton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
Upgrades

Thanks for the objective feedback, what is the easiest way to get a re-flash done in the US and in the UK. (I have one in each country but live in neither at the moment)

Where would I get the kit for the light conversion.

I'm messing with LED upgrades at present as it seems to be a much better technology.

cheers dave
daveburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:49 PM   #20198
Superstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks for the objective feedback, what is the easiest way to get a re-flash done in the US and in the UK. (I have one in each country but live in neither at the moment)

cheers dave
http://www.af1racing.com has a sterling reputation here in the US.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:02 PM   #20199
ViperJustin
Retired HH60G Gunner

Oddometer: 686
I just tested a Tenere for the first time today. I was extremely impressed by it. I wrote up a review and it's in the Tenere vs BMW GS thread. Now I'm curious what it's like with the ecu upgrade.
ViperJustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:15 PM   #20200
Superstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWJustin View Post
I just tested a Tenere for the first time today. I was extremely impressed by it. I wrote up a review and it's in the Tenere vs BMW GS thread. Now I'm curious what it's like with the ecu upgrade.
Night and day if you didn't have the CJM installed. If you did...the difference with the ECU upgrade is still significant, but not "OMFG" different.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:16 PM   #20201
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWJustin View Post
Your review mentioned you thought it was fine stock.

Sorry, I'm one of the owners that you mention should be a cannon target. If you find yourself in
the Salt Lake area PM me and I think trying a reflashed bike will make your Tenere or GSA
decision a little more confusing.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:20 PM   #20202
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar View Post
Night and day if you didn't have the CJM installed. If you did...the difference with the ECU upgrade is still significant, but not "OMFG" different.
I beg to differ. The reflash wakes the bike up in all gears. Revs easier, pulls harder and makes
the S and T modes have an actual purpose. I've always called the CJM a Band-Aid approach
to the power/fueling issues. The refalsh is the a smile generating solution.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #20203
Superstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I beg to differ. The reflash wakes the bike up in all gears. Revs easier, pulls harder and makes
the S and T modes have an actual purpose. I've always called the CJM a Band-Aid approach
to the power/fueling issues. The refalsh is the a smile generating solution.

No question...the flash is *much* better than the CJM, but the jump from stock to ECU is bigger than that from CJM to ECU.

At least CJM fixes the off-idle stumble, which bothered me most about the bike.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:45 PM   #20204
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,273
New Crash and Skid plate from Altrider installed.
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:19 PM   #20205
ViperJustin
Retired HH60G Gunner

Oddometer: 686
Quote:
Your review mentioned you thought it was fine stock.

Sorry, I'm one of the owners that you mention should be a cannon target. If you find yourself in
the Salt Lake area PM me and I think trying a reflashed bike will make your Tenere or GSA
decision a little more confusing.
The bike I tested had 3k miles on it. I guess the hiccups and stalling had been addressed at that point.
ViperJustin is offline   Reply With Quote