Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2013, 06:33 PM   #20401
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
I'll bet you didn't want the extra weight it gained or the reduction in groound clearance!

While you're wandering around the Yamaha Euro site make sure you check out the new "Rally" MT-09 triple and the new MT-07 689cc twin!

Dallara

~
Weird that it got 15mm lower. Anyhow, I'm not planning on upgrading anytime soon. Just yesterday I installed my heated Laam seat and upgraded my headlight harness.

Will be interesting to see if Yamaha finally got rid of the ECU restrictions.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:39 PM   #20402
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,710
Laugh Got closer to the ground, twice pipes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Weird that it got 15mm lower. Anyhow, I'm not planning on upgrading anytime soon. Just yesterday I installed my heated Laam seat and upgraded my headlight harness.

Will be interesting to see if Yamaha finally got rid of the ECU restrictions.

I'm not trading, either... Not for the time being. Mine just runs too good, my Penske set-up fore-and-aft I imagine is a match for their new ESA, my Excel throttle lock works great, ditto my Parabellum windscreen and custom seats, I've already got Rox Risers so I don't need Yamaha's, and I like an analog tach better anyway!

Loss of ground clearance had me stumped for a while, too... Then the more I looked at the pictures the more I would swear the catalytic converter on the new 2014 model is bigger, and therefore lower, than the earlier models. Maybe that's how they gained a couple of horsepower, by going to a larger, freer flowing cat.

Just a thought...

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:45 PM   #20403
fredz43
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
Quote:
~

Hey, Fred...

I found the discrepancy. Take a look when you compare the new 2014 XT1200ZE to a 2013 model:

http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/eu/produc...6&pmc=xtz1200e

There it shows the following:

- Horsepower increased from 80.9 kw (110 PS) to 82.4 kw (112 PS)
- Torque up from 114.1 Nm (11.6 kg-m) to 117.0 Nm (11.9 kg-m)
- Ground clearance reduced from 205mm down to 190mm

Dallara

~
Well, that is weird, indeed, as it looks like the compare in the first example may be comparing to the 2012 model? I dunno.
fredz43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:50 PM   #20404
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,710
2014 to 2014...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredz43 View Post
Well, that is weird, indeed, as it looks like the compare in the first example may be comparing to the 2012 model? I dunno.

Nope. In your comparison link you were comparing the *STANDARD* 2014 Super Tenere to the 2014 "E" model...

http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/eu/produc...er-tenere.aspx

You can see here - http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/eu/produc...les/index.aspx - how they will be producing and selling *TWO* Super Tenere models in Europe for 2014, a standard and the "E" with electronic suspension, just like they do with the FJR. The specs for both 2014 models are identical except for the electronic suspension and the weight.

Just FYI...

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:12 PM   #20405
fredz43
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
Quote:
Nope. In your comparison link you were comparing the *STANDARD* 2014 Super Tenere to the 2014 "E" model...

You can see here - http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/eu/produc...les/index.aspx - how they will be producing and selling *TWO* Super Tenere models in Europe for 2014, a standard and the "E" with electronic suspension, just like they do with the FJR. The specs for both 2014 models are identical except for the electronic suspension and the weight.

Just FYI...

Dallara

~
Ah, I see. They are indeed doing the same as with the 2014 FJR. If the price spread it the same, the elec suspension option will be reasonable. With the FJR, it is a $1,000 option. Not bad, really, as I paid that just for an aftermarket shock on my 2012.

Thanks for clearing that up, Alan.

EDIT: Matter of fact, it looks like they will be offering 3 models in 2013, including the World Crosser, which shows less power than the other 2 models.
http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/eu/produc...98&pmc=xtz1200

fredz43 screwed with this post 11-04-2013 at 09:19 PM
fredz43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:22 PM   #20406
Superstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
New rubber cushioned clutch too...whatever the hell that means!
Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:44 PM   #20407
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar View Post
New rubber cushioned clutch too...whatever the hell that means!
yah, what is that????
Old 11-04-2013, 11:13 PM   #20408
ballheadknuckle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Loss of ground clearance had me stumped for a while, too... Then the more I looked at the pictures the more I would swear the catalytic converter on the new 2014 model is bigger, and therefore lower, than the earlier models. Maybe that's how they gained a couple of horsepower, by going to a larger, freer flowing cat.

Just a thought...

Dallara

~
With a gain of just 2hp that is most likely all they changed in the mechanical side, probably some slight changes to the ECU mapping also.

Downside of that upgrade could be that existing aftermarket bashplates will fit no more.

What i do like is the new thinner pillon seat on the standard model, i think it looks better. It reminds me of the seat changes jaumev had planned on his s10 :-D
ballheadknuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:08 AM   #20409
yazata
Contra os canhões...

Oddometer: 115
Somt thinks are better in th enem ST, but not good enough to make me trade my bike... also I bought last August, we still have many years to enjoy.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:54 AM   #20410
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by yazata View Post
Somt thinks are better in th enem ST, but not good enough to make me trade my bike... also I bought last August, we still have many years to enjoy.
Agreed
Old 11-05-2013, 07:57 AM   #20411
Ramseybella
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
Agreed
My 2012 is running well and I love this bike it's a keeper..
New is not always best.
Ramseybella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:41 AM   #20412
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,448
New Super Tenere 1200 at EICMA in Milan

Hi guys

Yesterday I was in the opening day in the fair Eicma in Milano. It was the only day I could go so in my new role as a blogger I tried to have a press accreditation…. And they agreed!!

So, I was lucky enough to visit the fair from 9 to 12 just with the press (all the girls smiles for me) and see the stands without people. Then, the rest of the day was also for trade companies so it wasn’t crowded.
Anyway, as very “professional” blogger I am (!!) I have interviewed a Yamaha guy to know the details of the newSuper Ténéré 1200.
I haven’t found the most informed guy in the stand and I think I knew better the differences we saw from the bike exposed in comparison to my old SuperTen so please don’t blame me if there is something that you know from the new bike and I don’t explain. Te guy realized the information he gave me was poor so he promise me to send me a press kit ... see if they do and when ...

This are the main differences I saw:

- Change of decor (one more... )
- New dashboard
- Windshields different in the two versions (high and low ) and manual height adjustment in 4 positions . I don’t know if it the inclination can be modified. Bar for holding the GPS .
- Electronically controlled suspension with two functions, sport and city (he wasn’t sure)
- Improved engine, more power (He had no idea how many HP, two or three …)
- I guess it will be two versions with electronic suspension as an option. The one with electronic suspension has a plastic cover on the side.
- New mirrors (nicer)
- LED indicators (it was time to change those the old ones that looked like a Chinese scooter )
- Modified tail
- New aluminum kickstand. No center stand?? (see pics)
- Cruise control
- New panel under the main light

Anyway ... the truth is that I was expecting something more, perhaps a dirt oriented version. But they improved a great bike, so we have XT1200Z for more time.

More close up pictures here: http://traildreamer.com/en/nueva-super-tenere-14/

Yamaha Super Ténéré off road modifications: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797977
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:32 AM   #20413
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,428
Can't figure out why they have dropped the main stand off the base bike other than for pure cost reasons. Hopefully the base bike will come in at a base bike price, which might have the guys considering the VStrom to have a test ride.

Hope that the motor has got a bit more mojo. Might win a few undecided punters over to what really is the best bike in the class.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:34 AM   #20414
slipknot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulvt1 View Post

Hope that the motor has got a bit more mojo. Might win a few undecided punters over to what really is the best bike in the class.

Enough power to give it some bragging rights would certainly increase traffic at the dealers. But too many dealers have 2012 models discounted as low as $10,999 and still can't move them. Those dealers will not order one unless it is paid for, putting a Yugo on the floor will bring more attention.

Yamaha should offer incentives such as cruise control and an ecu flash to help move the left over stock. And not some pansy inspired flash by their interior decorators that came up with the sump "protection". Still, for all their short sightedness, they still manage to improve on the best.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:57 AM   #20415
Superstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
Any idea on when price/availability will be announced?

Another "order one to get one" like the Americans saw for 2011 or general availability?
Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote