ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2013, 05:13 AM   #20401
Superstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
When do prices and availability get announced?
Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:34 AM   #20402
pretbek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
Dang it, AC...

One minute you want more power, and Yamaha gives it to ya'...

But then here ya' are bitchin' about what may have got 'em the "more power" cuz' it won't fit that new skid plate you're putting on your 2012!!!

Dallara

~
Hey now, that's a valid concern. Aftermarket stuff actually fitting on the bike (skid plate, ECU reflash (!), ..... ehm... gremlin bell .....ummmm... tires ... the black ones....) is important.
New model, new fit requirements? That means waiting for that version of accessory to be available.
pretbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:57 AM   #20403
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 2,002
Patience, Grasshopper...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar View Post
When do prices and availability get announced?

For the United States, Yamaha USA's official announcement is March 2014.

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists office. - Unknown

'Cos it's easier to try than to prove it can't be done, and it's easier to stay than to turn around and run. - Justin Hayward
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:18 AM   #20404
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatocity View Post
Okay, disregarding the ZE model... is there any mention of different/better fork springs?
When part numbers become available for the '14, that will answer the "different" question. "Better", well that deeds on your weight, on road/ off road, and you're expectations.

Me, I'm OK with the stock set up on my '12 after a bit of fiddling with it. Sure it could be better but at what price? Soon it will be time to replace the rear shock and service the forks. If I keep the bike it will get upgrades, or perhaps I'll just upgrade the entire bike with a '14.

I like to keep the mods at a minimum, it makes the decision to trade a lot easier.

Regards, Paul - aka: Big Blu
Old 11-07-2013, 11:25 AM   #20405
avc8130
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretbek View Post
Hey now, that's a valid concern. Aftermarket stuff actually fitting on the bike (skid plate, ECU reflash (!), ..... ehm... gremlin bell .....ummmm... tires ... the black ones....) is important.
New model, new fit requirements? That means waiting for that version of accessory to be available.
It could also mean the drying up of aftermarket supply for the old model...

ac
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:43 AM   #20406
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallydog View Post
most of the time my bike is sideways only the bottom of the panniers hit the ground/pavement. when he top hits i have much bigger problems to worry about. it is a serious tank. i think it can take a beating but it wouldnt be the end of the world to abandon it and replace it. readily available Mercury part.
i dont ride crazy with a loaded bike though.
loose fill cap for venting now. real check vent ordered.
not moving anything. the output of the remote tank goes into the tank vent located by the shifter (now relocated under the seat and to the back). as the main tank gets lower it pulls from the romote tank. the remote tank is always empty before the first click on the fuel guage. this will really come in handy on my alaska trip

better than average

what can i do, he loves to ride.

wall drug

sturgis

devils tower

moab

mexican hat

hollywood

Sedona

san francisco

biosphere

houston

the french quarter

the barber

guidestones

he has almost 20000 miles and has been to SLC and met the mighty pluric but i dont think i have a picture of them together

I like it, been thinking of doing the same with a Tenere or GS.

I went from this,

to this

and am thinking about simplifying to a box on the back like you. Micatech cases that open on the side would be perfect.
B.E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:05 PM   #20407
luni
Non-artic explorer

Oddometer: 1,090
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...0930348&type=3

Dunno how well facebook links work from here but the Yamaha Motor page posted the 2014 S-10 album with promo pics and marketing blurb. The Yamaha Motorsports website hasn't posted the Tenere in the 2014 model overview yet.
luni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #20408
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Laugh OK, here we go again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by luni View Post
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...0930348&type=3

Dunno how well facebook links work from here but the Yamaha Motor page posted the 2014 S-10 album with promo pics and marketing blurb. The Yamaha Motorsports website hasn't posted the Tenere in the 2014 model overview yet.

You won't see the 2014 Super Tenere on the on the Yamaha USA web site for quite some time yet...

But there's plenty of info about both new 2014 Super Tenere models on Yamaha Europe web site. Here's the link to the 2014 Super Tenere *standard*:

http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/eu/produc...er-tenere.aspx

And here's the link to the web pages for the 2014 Super Tenere "E" model with ESA suspension:

http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/eu/produc...er-tenere.aspx

And here's all five pages of the new 2014 models release brochure:

Hope this helps...

Dallara

~

'Cos it's easier to try than to prove it can't be done, and it's easier to stay than to turn around and run. - Justin Hayward
Old 11-07-2013, 02:37 PM   #20409
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:
Well, that's only because you carry about twice it's rated load!!!

Dallara

~
Go on spit it out ! What are you trying to say.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:42 PM   #20410
tomatocity
Retired and lovin' it

Oddometer: 833
Quote:
"Better"?

In what way would they be "better" for you? Stiffer? Softer? Straight-wind instead of progressive?

To be honest, with either new 2014 model, I don't think there is anyway anyone could possibly know. Even if Yamaha *said* something somewhere in the product promotional propaganda it would be more akin to "new, improved suspension" than anything specific about the fork springs like "fork springs are now straight-wound with a rate of xx-inch/lbs". Just not gonna' happen... Anything like that is not manufacturer ad-speak.

As for anything actually reported or even anecdotal, I don't think you're going to get anything there, either. After all, no one outside of Yamaha has actually even ridden either of the 2014's, so until that happens you wouldn't even know what Yamaha might even claim about any fork changes would be reasonably true.

In other words, it's a nearly impossible question to answer unless perhaps someone has x-ray vision...

Just out of curiosity, why or what is your more specific question about the fork springs? What kind of answer are you looking for? Have you changed the springs in your current S-10?

Dallara
~
"In what way would they be "better" for you? Stiffer? Softer? Straight-wind instead of progressive?"... "Just out of curiosity, why or what is your more specific question about the fork springs? What kind of answer are you looking for? Have you changed the springs in your current S-10?"

My current S10 is a 1993 Chevrolet S10 pickup. Bought it new.

The Super Tenere XT1200Z was known for excessive dive/rebound during braking. For me it was the slow speed dive/rebound that caused the most handling problems.

Many of the YST members sent their forks to vendors to have the spring and valving corrected.

My simple question is... has this problem been corrected by Yamaha on the 2014 XT1200Z model?
Old 11-07-2013, 02:54 PM   #20411
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Laugh Still need those x-ray specs, or a job in Yamaha product development to know...

Quote:
The Super Tenere XT1200Z was known for excessive dive/rebound during braking. For me it was the slow speed dive/rebound that caused the most handling problems.

Many of the YST members sent their forks to vendors to have the spring and valving corrected.

My simple question is... has this problem been corrected by Yamaha on the 2014 XT1200Z model?

I've had my forks re-done (Stoltec), but that was at 21,000 miles. Up until then it wasn't the springing nor dive that drove me nuts... And I'm a pretty big boy. It was the excessive amount of high-speed compression dampening Yamaha saw fit to build in...

But that's all beside the point.

To answer your "simple question"... How on Earth would anybody know if Yamaha has changed the spring rate, particularly to suit any specific group of riders' preferences?

Nobody's got their hands on one yet... The new 2014's have only been seen sitting on the show stand at EICMA... And Yamaha hasn't released any more so far than has been posted here and on the Super Tenere forum, and that includes parts catalogs, service manuals, etc. They haven't even given a release date for the 2014 models in Europe where they've been shown.

Of course, that said... Let's not forget that the "E" model comes with ESA suspension, which Yamaha says you can adjust to up to 84 separate settings. Does that mean an "E" model would be adjustable enough to produce the fork feel you are looking for?

Who knows? That is until you can ride one...

Dallara

~

Dallara screwed with this post 11-07-2013 at 03:57 PM
Old 11-07-2013, 02:55 PM   #20412
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Laugh Well, you asked...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post
Go on spit it out ! What are you trying to say.

That I hope your Land Rover has a low, low, low first gear...

Dallara

~

Old 11-07-2013, 03:41 PM   #20413
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,353
Quote:
The Super Tenere XT1200Z was known for excessive dive/rebound during braking.

I swear I must have a freak build. No spokes gone missing, seats OK, no excessive dive. Vibes pretty good. Good fuel economy.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:49 PM   #20414
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 17,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post

I swear I must have a freak build. No spokes gone missing, seats OK, no excessive dive. Vibes pretty good. Good fuel economy.

Take it out of the garage.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:17 PM   #20415
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,444

I've never been to Disneyland when the cherry blossoms are blooming, nice.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote