Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2013, 11:53 AM   #20521
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.E. Coyote View Post
My biggest worry is when I read about vibes. I have problems with my right hand and bar vibration could be a killer.
Each person's sensitivity is different. FWIIW, I've always thought the S10 was one of the smoothest big twins out there, but I know there are a few who have had problems. I don't know whether it is the person, the bike, or perhaps a combo of both.

There's a lot of talk right now about trying to reduce vibes under load in the 2500-3500 RPM range, but giving the bike big throttle in this RPM range feels like lugging to me and I don't typically run the engine this way. I also use a throttle lock quite a bit (a simple Go Cruise) as it reduces the tendency to grip the throttle side harder.

YMMV.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:33 PM   #20522
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
Each person's sensitivity is different. FWIIW, I've always thought the S10 was one of the smoothest big twins out there, but I know there are a few who have had problems. I don't know whether it is the person, the bike, or perhaps a combo of both.

There's a lot of talk right now about trying to reduce vibes under load in the 2500-3500 RPM range, but giving the bike big throttle in this RPM range feels like lugging to me and I don't typically run the engine this way. I also use a throttle lock quite a bit (a simple Go Cruise) as it reduces the tendency to grip the throttle side harder.

YMMV.

- Mark
+1

I have also added grip puppy style grip covers. The larger diameter and softer material reduces the chance of me squeezing the grip too tightly and reduces the effects of vibrations. The GO Cruise fits over the larger grips and works great.

On the 2500-3500rpm vibration thing, not an issue with me either. I think some owners spent to much time looking for things that need fix'n!

regards, Paul
Old 11-11-2013, 01:45 PM   #20523
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,794
Laugh Amen, Bruddah! Amen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum View Post
...On the 2500-3500rpm vibration thing, not an issue with me either. I think some owners spent to much time looking for things that need fix'n!

Ain't it the truth!!!

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists office. - Unknown

'Cos it's easier to try than to prove it can't be done, and it's easier to stay than to turn around and run. - Justin Hayward
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:27 PM   #20524
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post

YMMV.

- Mark
+1

Mines really smooth on the cruise, get's less smooth the more power you dial in, but is quite smooth revving through the range 4-8K under big load. It gets a little soul between 4-5 on on the freeway. I expect big 270Degree twins to get in touch with their thumper side at low revs though. There is only so much you can do with two 600cc pots banging away down there.

The Yamaha Engine works like a Horse galloping, so there are lots of harmonic things going on.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 11-11-2013 at 02:38 PM
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:37 PM   #20525
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,337
Some people complain about the FJR too. Mine is very minimal and by using grip puppies and a real cruise control I have no issues.

Anybody putting electronic cruises on the S10?
B.E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:08 PM   #20526
Superstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
Quote:
It's used with 27k on it. Should be plenty broken in

I'm hoping it is a winner. It would be way more practical for me in WV.

My biggest worry is when I read about vibes. I have problems with my right hand and bar vibration could be a killer.
Valves already been done?
Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:09 PM   #20527
20valves
Yamaholic

Oddometer: 436
Cool2

Quote:
Anybody putting electronic cruises on the S10?
There's a decent chance Yamaha might for 2014.

For us 2012 and 2013 owners, that go cruise widget is very effective.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:18 PM   #20528
Superstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20valves View Post

Cruise is standard on both 2014 trim levels.
Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:22 PM   #20529
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar View Post
Cruise is standard on both 2014 trim levels.
AFAIK, at least for the US and Canada, exactly what "trim levels" we're getting on the EICMA-announced bike is still up in the air with further information release scheduled for Jan (Canada) and Mar (US). In the past, the US versions have been "de-contented" to some degree (e.g., the US bikes have never had 4-way flashers or immobilizer systems), presumably to meet a more aggressive price point.

- Mark
Old 11-11-2013, 03:38 PM   #20530
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,794
2014 & cruise control...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20valves View Post

According to what Yamaha showed at the EIMCA show about a week ago the 2014 Super Tenere is most definitely coming with electronic cruise control, at least on the ES-equipped "E" model...

http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/eu/produc...?view=features - (click on the handlebar end)

Me, I use an Excel throttle control on my 2012 - http://www.excelthrottlecontrol.com/ - it's not cheap, but it's beautifully made, gorgeous to look at, flawless in operation, and the next best thing to electronic cruise, IMHO.

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists office. - Unknown

'Cos it's easier to try than to prove it can't be done, and it's easier to stay than to turn around and run. - Justin Hayward
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:50 PM   #20531
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar View Post
Valves already been done?

Nope

I will check them this winter. I'm hoping they are in spec.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:55 PM   #20532
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Think that factory cruise might be an add on for earlier bikes?
Old 11-11-2013, 04:04 PM   #20533
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum View Post
+1

I have also added grip puppy style grip covers. The larger diameter and softer material reduces the chance of me squeezing the grip too tightly and reduces the effects of vibrations. The GO Cruise fits over the larger grips and works great.

On the 2500-3500rpm vibration thing, not an issue with me either. I think some owners spent to much time looking for things that need fix'n!

regards, Paul
My bike had a significant vibration problem from around 3,200-3,500 or so, to the point where my hand would go numb while super slabbing. The reflash completely eliminated it. No need for Grip Puppies, even with the harder OEM heated grips.

Go Cruise is worth $20 but complete crap compared to the Excel throttle control. I gave mine away when I sold my Dakar.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:39 PM   #20534
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Think that factory cruise might be an add on for earlier bikes?
Several discussions about this on the other forum. IMHO, it is highly unlikely for a variety of reasons, the biggest one being that Yamaha is putting it on the new bike to attract you to trade so their not going to do anything to reduce this incentive. And the new factory cruise is no doubt baked into the very basics of the bike (ECU, wiring harness, switch assemblies, safety sensors, new instrument cluster, etc.), so any upgrade would require extensive replacement of expensive/complex systems that were never intended to be upgradeable.

- Mark
Old 11-11-2013, 05:48 PM   #20535
Bernoulli?
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Just in case folks considering a Tenere worry about vibes, I'll also report that mine is very, very smooth in the 2,500 to 3,500 range, which covers most of the steady-state riding I do. Vibes kick in, and it's really more like a growl than vibes, under throttle load.
Bernoulli? is offline   Reply With Quote