Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2013, 05:12 PM   #20536
Geology Rocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
As for the vibes on the S10. It might be too late for my advice but here goes. I have a severe disability and vibes hurt both of my legs really bad. To the point where rough roads hurt even in a car. I can ride the tenere for 600 miles and my legs hurt but not bad. I habe been in pain 24/7 for the last 2 years but the tenere doesnt really make it worst. I am actually selling a 2012 Vstrom because the engine vibrates into the pegs and causes a lot of pain.

YMMV but thats my experience.
The "Suicide Disease" - Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. The pain never ends
http://www.rsds.org/2/what_is_rsd_crps/
Geology Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:19 PM   #20537
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernoulli? View Post
Just in case folks considering a Tenere worry about vibes, I'll also report that mine is very, very smooth in the 2,500 to 3,500 range, which covers most of the steady-state riding I do. Vibes kick in, and it's really more like a growl than vibes, under throttle load.
What are the rpms at for 80-100-120 kms. I'm coming from a CBF1000 where my hands would be numb in minutes at 100kmph, but at 140+ to 170 the thing was smooth as silk. Its an inline 4 with similar specs as the S10. 100kms is 4k rpm, 120 4.5.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:30 PM   #20538
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
What are the rpms at for 80-100-120 kms.
I will try to check this out on my way to work today.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:10 PM   #20539
Robbo60
Looking 4 Adventure

Oddometer: 113
My Dirty Weekend

Occasional reader, rare poster here. Love my Tenere, love my RSV4 too.
I hope it is OK to post this here, don't want to be labelled a troll, after all this is a ride we did in Australia. Sad to read people dumping on others just because they are passionate about their bike / rides / country / other. Graham you are welcome to ride with us and share your knowledge anytime. This was our recent 1100 klm run around the ACT.

Day 1: Heathcote to Crookwell via Swallow Tail Pass Track.

1000 Vee Strom Fabio, Varadero Graham, DR650 David, Lexus Greg, Water cooled GS1200 Dick and Tenere me left Heathcote around 1pm on Friday and travelled to the start of the dirt near Canyonleigh via Macquarie Pass. The previous weekend Moira and I had gone to Canberra on the Tenere which had on the excellent Metzeler Tourance tyres, however after Canberra they were nearly worn out so new rubber was required. As I had a set of 600 klm old Taiwanese Kenda Big block knobbies in the garage rather than spend $500 on new tyres I put the Kendas’ on for our 3 day Dirty Run, next thing I know Fabio calls and asks about the Big Blocks so we begin our dirty w/e with 3 of the bikes on knobby tyres! VStrom, Ten and DR.
Canyonleigh fire trail leads to Swallow tail track, earlier this year the track was a bit bumpy but firm but it had just been graded which sounds nice but this left about 3 inches of very soft powdery cover that guarantees your full attention! The trail winds down a fairly steep grade to a river crossing but no recent rainfall meant an easy cross. Once across though the knob free bikes had some difficulty getting traction up the equally steep other side. The knobless GS1200 W/C was going nowhere. I asked Dick to jump on the back of the Tenere with me, I just wanted a hug really, and I took Dick up the trail to an easier section then walked back to recover GS, I soon learnt that the ‘regular’ GS actually has a rather high first gear. Later on tour GSA rider Rob said that the GSA machines have a lower first gear than the GS; go figure….Anyhow the GS was soon reunited with its owner, Graham managed to get the knob free Varadero going and we were happy campers. I then made the grand statement to Dick and Graham that they need not worry as they had just conquered the most difficult dirt of the w/e……….Upon arrival at Crookwell I checked the Kendas’ to find that about half the tyre was consumed after a total of about 800klm. So now I am worried I might be knobless by half way on day 3.

Day 2: Crookwell to Adaminaby via Wee Jasper dirt and Bago State Forest dirt

Breakfast and I’m on the phone searching for a rear tyre as I really don’t think Kenda is going to make the whole tour. Soon GSA Rob arrives to join the tour and guess what, he is knobbed up too! Its knob city in Crookwell! I could hear fathers locking up their daughters. I found a tyre place in Tumut with 2 possible rear tyres, both knobbed. Great news! What time do you close? 11:30am!!! Google had said our route is 4.5 hours to Tumut, it is now 8:45am………faarrrk!! So expecting time will beat me we head off to continue our adventure of more stunning scenery, more fantastic dirt roads and Lexus with us all the way. At Wee Jasper GSA Rob suggests I go on and I do, apparently. I take the bitumen option to Tumut, its knobs at up to 200kph grip was plentiful and so was the wear rate. Arrive Tumut 11:45am call the tyre place and get an answer; he is there doing paperwork and said come on in. I volunteer to remove/refit the wheel, he supplies the tools. He has a Shinko thingy and a Conti TKC 80 mmm decisions decisions. I take a gamble and get the Conti, $259 fitted and balanced, cheaper than Sydney? Tumut Valley Tyre Service are LEGENDS, if you need a tyre on tour I cannot recommend them highly enough. While the Kenda Big Block is a great Tyre with more cornering grip than you need on dry bitumen, down to the pegs and more and with excellent grip on dirt. The downside is rate of wear and they also ‘feel’ like knobbies, derrr, the bike moves a bit as the knobs flex but then take up which is just fine after a mental adjustment. Well, the Conti TKC is a revelation, it ‘feels’ almost like a normal Tourance and since Rob said his rear TKC has over 3,500 klm on it they might last well too. So my new TKC was scrubbed in by main street Tumut or about 1 klm. Unlike the others I neglected to get petrol at Tumut. Anyhow after a coffee we get moving again, off to Bago State Forest via the awesome sealed Greenhills Access Road. This was a chance to really give the knobs a run for their money, one left hand sweeper had clear vision 400 metres before and after apex and a guy was standing there next to his Hardly Driveable so what would a sensible 53 yo do? Naturally I had everything on the deck and screwed on the gas before apex, TC was on but the rear knobby drifted in 3 big goes, it felt spectacular! I have never managed that on a road bike or at the track.…… I love knobbies!! Bago State Forest is uncharted waters for us, for Greg in the Lexus I was hoping for fire trails and initially that’s what we got. After 3 million intersections we came to Jimmies Road, road? Try track, at best. I stopped to wait for Dick as I was getting concerned about the deteriorating trail. I followed him with increasing trepidation, a muddy rut in front and Richard aimed straight at it, my heart rate now up but the GS went through ok and my heart rate dropped but too soon as just then down he went at around 20 kph. Luckily Fabio was right there too, we picked up Dick and GS. A quick check on Dick then I asked Fabio to take care of him as I thought I should get back to the Lexus to advise Greg he might need to go back to find sealed road plus I was very low on fuel and the Lexus had a 10 litre jerry can. My first plan as agreed with Fabio and Dick was to go update Greg, help get him turned around and put the 10 litres in Tenere then go back to Dick and double him to the sealed Elliot Way then double Fabio back to the GS and Fabio ride the GS to Dick…… But while talking to Greg a ute turns up with 2 pissed country boys, they have come from where I’d left Dick and Fabio with Graham somewhere between, they said they had just helped someone pick up their bike and I knew that could not be Dick so it must be Graham on the Varadero!! Not good news. They said he was ok and proceeded to say the Lexus might actually get through and that there is only a few klm of this to go. So I ride back to Dick, Fabio, Rob, David and Graham who is just fine it was a zero speed lie down. We wait for the car then get Dick settled and we all travel about 8 klm then I doubled Fabio back to the GS on the Tenere, riding up this rocky rutted track I said to Fabio how amazing is this motorcycle, burbling along and across anything. In its life Tenere has ‘rescued’ someone 3 times now in difficult terrain; I am in awe of this machine. Fabio gets on the GS, selects ENDURO GOD mode then proceeds at warp factor 9 with Tenere in hot pursuit, we got some air. The excellent sealed Elliot Way was soon traversed and then on to Adaminaby after a bike swap at the Link Rd Snowy Mountains Hwy intersection. Fabio is now on Dick’s water-cooled GS I am on the Varadero Graham is on Tenere Dick is on VStrom, I take off to chase down the already departed Lexus expecting Greg to partake in a bit of fun. After much chasing I find the Lexus behind a well driven something with Greg seemingly happy to stay there, next thing I know Fabio on the GS blasts by, so what would a sensible 53 yo do? It was WAR, 1998 Japan tech v’s 2013 German tech, 1000cc v’s 1200cc, 280kg v’s whatever lie BMW think they can get away with. All I can say is that Varadero is one seriously fast motorcycle, what a great bike it held its head up high. Fabio raved about the GS both on dirt and tar. After fuel at Adaminaby I was back on Tenere but we were headed for Formicidae disaster, I rode into the hotel parking area and lined up to reverse into the shed paddled back stopping on the soft grass and decided the side stand just won’t cut it, so try to get off sans stand and what would a sensible 53yo do? Lie down of course; I heard the cry of a thousand ants as they perished. No damage to the Ten or the idiot rider. We had a few war stories at dinner…… everyone seemed happy. I am so impressed by Dick a wonderful person with the best attitude never complains about his lot and is a great rider to boot. I am a bit concerned that my routing contributed to 2 fallen riders though.

Day 3: Adaminaby to Sydney via dirt to Bredbo and more dirt to Braidwood.

After a perfectly cooked cereal and milk breakfast we headed out for the arduous trip to the big trout for a pre departure pic. We assembled in the park next to the giant synthetic craniate, and then the wind arrived and blew the GSA over…. Then Greg arrived in the Lexus going brump brump brump…. and so was his rear tyre. Faarrrk. We remove the contents of the Lexus boot, don’t worry Greg what is found in boot on tour stays on tour, to get out the space saver spare, oh joy. Some grunting passed and then the saver is on. Greg then drives the 600 metres to the servo to see if they can fix his tyre. An arrangement was already in place amongst us for the Lexus and the GS to do sealed roads to Braidwood so we left Greg and Dick fully expecting to traverse unknown and difficult dirt tracks and meet them at Braidwood. We now have 5 bikes going dirty and a bike/ car going tar. Our tracks were actually baby bum smooth dirt roads through heaven. TC off, power mode sport, yeah baby! The grins spread from one ear to the next. Too soon we were in Braidwood and a message from Greg was no luck at the servo and possible rim damage by some tool holding a tool, so sealed roads and 80 kph on saver spare to Sydney for Greg with Dick following. We all felt for them. Braidwood to Sydney via Nowra was much fun but uneventful, all home safe. I can recommend Kenda front and TKC rear as a knob combo. I think Fabio was very happy with Kenda at both ends, the VStrom may be kinder to the tyres than the Tenere, Fabio had VStrom over so far on tar he had ZERO virgin knob…..that has to be a great way to end a dirty weekend.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:25 PM   #20540
WIsixfitty
ceiling unlimited

Oddometer: 2,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
Each person's sensitivity is different. FWIIW, I've always thought the S10 was one of the smoothest big twins out there, but I know there are a few who have had problems. I don't know whether it is the person, the bike, or perhaps a combo of both.

There's a lot of talk right now about trying to reduce vibes under load in the 2500-3500 RPM range, but giving the bike big throttle in this RPM range feels like lugging to me and I don't typically run the engine this way. I also use a throttle lock quite a bit (a simple Go Cruise) as it reduces the tendency to grip the throttle side harder.

YMMV.

- Mark
+6 and a vista cruise.

It's hard for me to compare vibes as my other bike is a 640A.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:27 PM   #20541
Geology Rocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIsixfitty View Post
+6 and a vista cruise.

It's hard for me to compare vibes as my other bike is a 640A.
do you even ride?
The "Suicide Disease" - Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. The pain never ends
http://www.rsds.org/2/what_is_rsd_crps/
Geology Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:27 PM   #20542
racer1735
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.E. Coyote View Post
It's used with 27k on it.

My biggest worry is when I read about vibes. I have problems with my right hand and bar vibration could be a killer.
I bought a used '12 with 21k miles and love it. Mine doesn't vibrate at all (not in the high-frequency, hand-numbing style of my departed ST1300). Rather, it has a slight 'shake' that you would expect from a Big Twin (which it is, just not a 'V'). Nice character....one of the smoothest bikes at speed I've owned.
racer1735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:35 AM   #20543
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbo60 View Post
]Day 1: Heathcote to Crookwell via Swallow Tail Pass Track.[/FONT][/SIZE]
[snip]
.that has to be a great way to end a dirty weekend

Good one Robbo.

I might just see if I can retrace your steps on that one. I was going to head up into Barrington and surrounds over the weekend plus mon tues, but the forecast is for mud and you know that these bush pigs like lying down and wallowing in the stuff.

Good fun write up and thanks for the kind words .

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:18 AM   #20544
Robbo60
Looking 4 Adventure

Oddometer: 113
Dirty Route

Graham,

I just sent you a PM of the route, hope the links work ok.
Please do not do Bago State Forest alone. It is very remote and we came across some suspect characters....or was that just my mirrors?
Think along the lines Ivan Milat with a banjo.....
Old 11-12-2013, 03:20 AM   #20545
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.E. Coyote View Post

My biggest worry is when I read about vibes. I have problems with my right hand and bar vibration could be a killer.

I personally have no more issues with my Tenere than I do any other bike I ever had. I also have issues with my hands as I have worked with them my whole life and they are definitely showing signs of wear. I agree with Mark that using a throttle lock or rocker can help a lot with grip..which for me seems to be the bigger problem.

Vibrations are like buffeting, seats, bars, peg relations..it really depends on the individual and there sensitivity levels. We all have different things that bother us at different levels..

I say buy the bike, see what you think, make a few minor adjustments if needed. If that doesn't work then sell the bike and move on, there are lots of great bikes out there.
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:42 AM   #20546
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRCRZR View Post

I say buy the bike, see what you think, make a few minor adjustments if needed. If that doesn't work then sell the bike and move on, there are lots of great bikes out there.

That is the plan, going to hang on to the FJR until I am sure about the S10.

My only two complaints with the FJR are its luggage capacity for two up trips and it's difficulty keeping speed on gravel/dirt roads.

Oh and a 3rd complaint, being near perfect it leaves me with nothing to work on and "fix"
B.E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:55 AM   #20547
WIsixfitty
ceiling unlimited

Oddometer: 2,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geology Rocks View Post
do you even ride?
shut it bucko!!!

I believe if needed I could ride today.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:02 AM   #20548
690Emaf10
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Top Case

What is everyone using for top cases? I was looking a the pelican but am looking for suggestions. I would like to be able to put a laptop in it and maybe a change of cloths for commuting to work.
690Emaf10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:19 AM   #20549
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by 690Emaf10 View Post
What is everyone using for top cases? I was looking a the pelican but am looking for suggestions.

Moved this over to the Tenere when I traded in the KLR............

Old 11-12-2013, 10:23 AM   #20550
Jim Rowley
Rise above

Oddometer: 2,510
Do you moonlight as a coroner/pizza delivery/ice cream vendor?